Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

@ Veteran DAoC players

2»

Comments

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by falcuk
    Lol your owning yourself with every reply

You're getting lazy. Put some effort into it!

• WolvanWolvan Member Posts: 49

Unless you played DAOC back at its height in Old Frontiers, you have no real conception of realm pride and team work.  Sorry, thats just the way it is.  I've played / tried many MMO's in the last 16+ years (all the way back to Neverwinter Nights on AOL!). 

No game came close to capturing the feeling of DAOC rvr.  The massive realm pride, and team work needed to succeed.  Having 250 players from all over the world, all with specific jobs, going and doing jobs assigned by relic raid leaders and doing what they had to for the REALM, not for their personal gains.  Nothing come's close to watching a 50 man dragon raid suicide out in order to defend the realm before killing the dragon.

DAOC lost alot of that feeling with merged servers and New Frontiers.  It lost the magic of people HAVING to work together to not only come out on top, but merely survive.

So yes, if you didn't play DAOC back during its hayday, you have no idea.  Sorry.   Yes, it does provide us a much better basis for providing feedback to CU.  Which is why MJ is specifically asking us for opinions and to be his core group of players.  Because we know and we want that feeling back if possible. 

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by CluckingChicken
    Believe it or not, you are not God's gift to the world. I keep seeing a strange superiority complex amongst many of these folks, and I don't quite understand why. Need I remind you that this is NOT a sequel to your beloved game, and therefore many, and I do mean many aspects will be very different in this game, as stated by Mark himself numerous times. Many of us seem to be completely stuck in the past, though.

Time to get off your high horse. Let it go and just ignore the people who believe they are better than everyone else.  Although I guess I should take my own advice because you seem to fight right into that catagory.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• falcukfalcuk Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by BizkitNL
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Believe it or not, you are not God's gift to the world. I keep seeing a strange superiority complex amongst many of these folks, and I don't quite understand why. Need I remind you that this is NOT a sequel to your beloved game, and therefore many, and I do mean many aspects will be very different in this game, as stated by Mark himself numerous times. Many of us seem to be completely stuck in the past, though.

We played the one RvR game that is widely considered to have got that kind of PvP right, so you'll forgive us if we think we have superior insight into how CU should work than people who PvE raided night and day in WOW. CU is not technically a direct sequel to DAOC but it unmistakably is heavily inspired by it, and I don't think Mark will be happy with the final game if DAOC veterans don't love it.

Times have changed though. These days, people rather zerg up and avoid fights, instead taking unguarded landmarks for free points. Atleast, that's the trend. 

So if they were to straight-up copy it, it might very well be something utterly dissapointing, simply because of those people.

I get what your saying, but you have to understand the daoc player mindset, Zergs = more RP's, thats it pretty much, the average daoc player loves a zerg because it means they get more points for killing them all!

Seriously though, back in the day on Excal i played hib, we was a low pop realm, alongside mid, Alb was the overpop realm, as a result they would usually run in a huge zerg of players, 100+ at times, this wasnt a problem for organised 8 man groups though who regulary owned the entire zergs, go check out videos of Dem Hibbies, capping castles etc to draw out enemies was also common place, aswell as Relic Raids.

Basically if people zerg its cool, they earn less RP than the 8 mans running around farming them.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by falcuk 

I get what your saying, but you have to understand the daoc player mindset, Zergs = more RP's, thats it pretty much, the average daoc player loves a zerg because it means they get more points for killing them all!

Seriously though, back in the day on Excal i played hib, we was a low pop realm, alongside mid, Alb was the overpop realm, as a result they would usually run in a huge zerg of players, 100+ at times, this wasnt a problem for organised 8 man groups though who regulary owned the entire zergs, go check out videos of Dem Hibbies, capping castles etc to draw out enemies was also common place, aswell as Relic Raids.

Basically if people zerg its cool, they earn less RP than the 8 mans running around farming them.

this says everything about excal: 

• falcukfalcuk Member UncommonPosts: 42

the best thing about this type of game is it supports all types of gameplay, if you want to zerg thats cool, you earn rp's slower but you also stand a better chance of survival at low rank, if you want to 8 man thats also cool, you get to pick you fights, sometimes you run into a zerg, if your good enough you'll take out a chunk or all before you die etc.

If you want to solo, you can do that, life expentency of a non stealth soloer isnt high though, if you want to stealth solo cool, if you want to stealth 8 man, cool, if you want to stealth zerg, cool too.

If you want to spend the evening capturing keeps to draw out the enemy realm, thats also cool.

personally i loved keep fights, they were my favourite part of daoc, capturing and holding, also taking back keeps etc.

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

Like some of us have mentionned, we re all very excited about CU, because we can only imagine that it will have some of the great things that there was in DAoC, and we were lucky enough to witness/play it back then.

we also give as much feedback as we can to MJ about what we liked and didnt like, so it CAN, not WILL (we re no Gods), help him on his task.

For many of us, DAoC was THE mmorpg, so if there is a God among us, it is MJ !

was just kidding, he's no God, we all know it, but he's the one that can make a great new mmorpg according to what we experienced since DAoC early days.

and everyone, let's not flame chicken, it would be like flaming someone for not having tried Montreal's schwartz's smoke meat, and thinking that Coorsh is the best one on earth.

we can only judge according to what we experienced, and if CU is good, it will prove our faith in it was right :)

P.S. Schwart's smoke meat is about to be sold in many supermarkets in North America, don't let the name fool you, its not remotely as close as to what the restaurant sells :P

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• KvalandurKvalandur Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Originally posted by Qallidexz
    We're not God's gift to the wolrd, just God's gift to MMORPG's.

Haha +1

The reason a lot of DAoC veterans have a superiority complex is because they severely dislike the newer generation of MMO gamers and how everything always returns to comparisons to World of Warcraft or some random FPS on X-Box Live.  I'm sure there's more to it than that, but nostalgia also has an incredible cloud over judgment. 

Just take it with a grain of salt.  Instead of working on killing each other and dividing the core community, we need to redirect our ignorance into something positive.. like building the community and continue suggesting ideas with healthy discussion.

Games like EQ and DAOC came out in the late 1990's, not that long ago really. But the industry has taken such a radical turn in the way they are making games that now "easy mode", handholding games that don't allow payers to lose even when they make dumb ass moves have become the standard. Back in EQ if you pulled a dumbass while on a planes raid you totally screwed 10+ people possibly costing them all their gear. If you do the same during a raid today it might cost some gold to repair your gear, but you just had to run back to where you were and face the mob again. Not saying it should be like EQ was, but many gamers today can't imagine what it was like to reach max level in a game where you lost exp and could lose levels when you died. Or how impressive it was to see someone with a piece of gear that was actually rare in the game. Now all you've got to do is click a button and your in a group that will get certain drops every time, you might have to run the dungeon again, but the drops are regular.

I think people like myself are chomping at the bit to see a game that brings back some of that spirit of danger, that feeling of accomplishment and knowledge that if you do something just right, you might end up with something that 10 other people can't just waltz up behind you and achieve the same thing by just breezing through an area or defeating some mob. I know what concerns me is developers often allow themselves to be bullied by players wanting things to be easier, take less time and removing any frustrating part from an encounter or area of a game. I'm actually watching that happen in another game that's being developed and it sucks to see it again and again.

• lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162

I am an old DAOC-player but it means nothing to me because I have played almost all games released since then. DAOC is still my favourite even though many old DAOC-players tend to forget what was bad with that game (some expansions that put in overpowered items and classes, buffbots, new frontier instead of keeping the old, long waiting time between fights in PvE etc...).

When Warhammer came I thought it would be the best game ever. It was the men behind DAOC who did it and it was placed in my favourite fantasy world. So I just waited and didn't come up with any feedback at all. Ever since I have wondered what DAOC did so good. So I rather give feedback in CU-discussions than not. Not that I think they listen but still. :) I don't want DAOC 2, I want a new game that takes what is best of DAOC and the best of other games. I mean many years have passed since DAOC was at its peak.

I just think that many old DAOC-players are just thrilled that some of the elements in CU are taken from DAOC (rvr, factions etc) and that Jacobs is the man behind the game (with others).

• BrohimeBrohime Member Posts: 34
    Believe it or not, you are not God's gift to the world. I keep seeing a strange superiority complex amongst many of these folks, and I don't quite understand why. Many of us seem to be completely stuck in the past, though.

• OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Not all of we DAOC vets are like that. I don't think any of us are thinking its a sequal. MJ has said many times it isn't. I think everyone of us is just excited MJ is back and going to be making a new mmo. He was successful with DAOC, and I think he can be again. If you don't like what someone has to say, there's a nice block button you can use.

+1

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397
    I'd play daoc2, but this game will have to do.

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This is kind of baiting the community here, many of which are DAOC vets. The general idea of what you're saying is fine, but presented in this way isn't the appropriate manner to do it.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.