Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm sure glad TERA is now offering a cool looking mount instead of a dumb looking mask.

Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

I see constant TERA advertisements as they are desperate for new players.

The mask made me LOL that they thought people would go out and buy the box so they could equip that thing.

The mount is actually cool looking, and sort of tempting, let me guess: Level req to use?

- I bought tera and have an account, and I really like the combat system. 

Know why I don't play?  The corny sound effects.  I can't take it.  The OH MY GOD AMAZING YOU WALKED 5 STEPS AND TALKED TO THE RIGHT GUY OH MY GOD OH MY GOD DING DA DA DING BING BANG every time you turn in a quest, regardless of how trivial the quest may be.

The music also made me think I was playing a typical chinese knock-off grinder.   This company should have known better.  It really just killed my immersion to have such poorly thought out sound effects on such a neat game.

Also, I found the questing too linear, I didn't have any options as to what to do with my character, it was a guided tour.

Anyhow, I don't want to degrade this game, as I'm sure it would have been an amazing success 5 years ago, however it is unfortunate that the guided theme-park pay to play tour turned into a F2P model followed by advertisements begging for new players. (Once again)

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Hmm, I've only played hours in the single digits still, but I can't remember hearing any OH MY GODS (or do you just mean the dramatic tone of the sound effect?).  Basically the only characters I ended up wanting to play were ranged because the type of classes I normally play are ridiculously slow.  I wouldn't pay money for a special mask though, I agree with you there.
  • Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    Not literally oh my god vocalized.  I mean the sound effect was telling me how amazing and brilliant my accomplishment was for walking 5 steps and telling the one guy that the other guy told me to talk to him and getting my 5 experience points. I can dig out the sound effect and post it?
  • ramalhosaramalhosa Member Posts: 15

Actually mount req lvl is 1 or at least it was from all previous buyed on the store, even the first faster mount in game the lion, had a req lvl of 11, just after you get out the tutorial island.

The free blue horse to previous players was lvl req 1 too

All games going to F2P this days should be like Tera

Not going on cutting stuff but delivering all in normal rates and stats like before, and  store giving xp boost and that kind of stuff not needed to play or lvl the end game and giving cosmetics.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

I have a solution to MMO problems.

Someone needs to create a mega exchange for all MMOs and link them together. The link would be through currency and having an exchange rate to other MMO currencies. 

For example a person played WoW and has 1 million gold, and that gold can be used by other MMOs.

Also there can a shared timer. By that I mean, lets say a person developed rewards by how much they played a certain MMO, but when they play a new one, must put extra grind hours to reach time only rewards... well with a central system that recognizes time invested in any mmo, a person could spread out the benefits better.

The reason why I even mention this, since it is off topic, is becuase I have no time to play TERA even though it has some nice features, but I would try it if I could get some benefits translated from other MMOs I have played.

For example GW2 has a system to allow people to create end game characters for pvp, why not allow the same for TERA but for end game as well. They can make money through other means by differentiating thier product to use a cash shop or requiring a month sub to continue playing for special content.

I think for MMOers in general trying to bridge this gap would make MMOs better compliments of each other rather than substitutes.

Maybe even allow the abiltiy to bring in art of other MMOs into a current MMO. Lets say a certain MMO has player housing while the other does not, and a perosn can decorate thier house with art from the other MMO. Since it is instanced it should not matter, but for a person without the MMO already installed they would have download some extra art before entering the house.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

Originally posted by Incomparable

Someone needs to create a mega exchange for all MMOs and link them together. The link would be through currency and having an exchange rate to other MMO currencies. 

For example a person played WoW and has 1 million gold, and that gold can be used by other MMOs.

Also there can a shared timer. By that I mean, lets say a person developed rewards by how much they played a certain MMO, but when they play a new one, must put extra grind hours to reach time only rewards... well with a central system that recognizes time invested in any mmo, a person could spread out the benefits better.

The reason why I even mention this, since it is off topic, is becuase I have no time to play TERA even though it has some nice features, but I would try it if I could get some benefits translated from other MMOs I have played.

For example GW2 has a system to allow people to create end game characters for pvp, why not allow the same for TERA but for end game as well. They can make money through other means by differentiating thier product to use a cash shop or requiring a month sub to continue playing for special content.

I think for MMOers in general trying to bridge this gap would make MMOs better compliments of each other rather than substitutes.

Maybe even allow the abiltiy to bring in art of other MMOs into a current MMO. Lets say a certain MMO has player housing while the other does not, and a perosn can decorate thier house with art from the other MMO. Since it is instanced it should not matter, but for a person without the MMO already installed they would have download some extra art before entering the house.

That would basically just mean the game developers would commit suicide on behalf of the players.  I don't see this actually having a method of allowing games to profit.

Originally posted by ramalhosa
    All games going to F2P this days should be like Tera

I never liked a maximum of 2 characters in other games, and I don't like it in Tera.  I had to delete characters to try every class.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239

A new mount does not entertain me..They should try putting more content in this boring game...

Mod edit

I retired retroactively..Haha

Originally posted by Popple
    A new mount does not entertain me..They should try putting more content in the boring game...

Get rid of the movement locks so you can fire and swing freely and it would be a totally different game to me.  "True Action Combat" it is not.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    A new mount does not entertain me..They should try putting more content in the boring game...

Get rid of the movement locks so you can fire and swing freely and it would be a totally different game to me.  "True Action Combat" it is not.

It's action combat whether you think it is or not, the animation rooting is a part of many action orientated games. Also progression, it exists, level 1, level 20, level 60, totally different game even with the same character.

I can admit the early levels are pretty bad, rooting+slow attack speed+limited skills is not a good combination.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

It's action combat whether you think it is or not, the animation rooting is a part of many action orientated games. Also progression, it exists, level 1, level 20, level 60, totally different game even with the same character.

I can admit the early levels are pretty bad, rooting+slow attack speed+limited skills is not a good combination.

It's not true action combat by my defintion of it.  True action allows for movement, ala real life action.  Their advertising department was never completely honest.  Even Dragon Nest's combat is more movement-oriented, as are any FPS games.  But most people know this by now.

As for the "early levels" thing, so apart from gaining skills, the melee classes actually attack faster later in the game?  Maybe I'll keep playing if that's the case, but yeah it's REALLY frustrating at the beginning.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239

What does Movement locks got to do with adding more Content? Even Broswer Games have more content than Tera does.(Just Saying)..image

I retired retroactively..Haha

It's not true action combat by my defintion of it.  True action allows for movement, ala real life action.  Their advertising department was never completely honest.  Even Dragon Nest's combat is more movement-oriented, as are any FPS games.  But most people know this by now.

As for the "early levels" thing, so apart from gaining skills, the melee classes actually attack faster later in the game?  Maybe I'll keep playing if that's the case, but yeah it's REALLY frustrating at the beginning.

You played archer for example right? Early on you can't move while charging, later you can move slowly while charging, later on you can move normal speed while charging, then you can charge faster with glyphs. Then later on you get a skill to cancel the rooting animation after you fire a charge shot so you can instantly start moving again after firing. Plus level 60 weapons have +8.5% and +9% attack speed bonuses, plus you get 6% attack speed necklace.

That's just one example.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I agree the questing is very linear and there are times when I get the WoW Deja Vu feeling here and there.  Some of the costumes are incredibly stupid and blow out any form of immersion, like the bikini girls or the snowsuit guys.  I do like the combat and having to dodge attacks, the artwork in the game is amazing and the design keeps you moving from area to area pretty fast so it always seems I am discovering new places.  I'm only level 20 on some alts while I get a feel for the skills but I'm still playing it and overall the good outweighs the bad for me.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Abuz0r

The mask made me LOL that they thought people would go out and buy the box so they could equip that thing.

Bit of a fallacy early on in your argument, considering that you can't get copies of TERA anymore unless you find a store that hasn't sold its stock from when they stopped printing several months ago.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Hmm, I've only played hours in the single digits still, but I can't remember hearing any OH MY GODS (or do you just mean the dramatic tone of the sound effect?).  Basically the only characters I ended up wanting to play were ranged because the type of classes I normally play are ridiculously slow.  I wouldn't pay money for a special mask though, I agree with you there.

agreed. I bought the game at launch but if i hadnt bought it at that time i still would have purchased the game at some point instead of going fully free. Not just for the mount but also for the really good model they are using. Dont take away from free players, instead give even more to subscribers. Thats just too good not to support them with a box purchase. I wish they make some changes to the game tho (not gonna happen) because i cant stand the classes 100% locked to 1 role to be successful, and the quest ! grind

Originally posted by Omali

Bit of a fallacy early on in your argument, considering that you can't get copies of TERA anymore unless you find a store that hasn't sold its stock from when they stopped printing several months ago.

Even bigger problem with his point was that they were giving away the mask for free just for registering...lol.

Originally posted by Omali

Even bigger problem with his point was that they were giving away the mask for free just for registering...lol.

That being the case, I see my point about purchasing the box was invalid.  HOWEVER, I still stand by my point of "Come play our game and we'll give you a stupid looking mask, PLZ" Lolol

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

Feel free to tell us about a non-linear MMORPG and please don't say MO.

As for the music, I love it, the sound effects are far from annoying, after listening to the same sound effects for years from other games it's a nice change in that they stand out a little more.

As for the actions, "Imma swing this huge axe ina complex powerful pattern and mid swing Imma cancel doing it"

"Imma cast this spell incantation and half way through stop",

Tera is a great game and it's F R E E.  There are so many people who give poor reviews of it and haven't even experienced end game content, tsk tsk.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Action games do have specific movement restrictions on various "moves".

Whether you like these types of games is another thing. Clearly you don't.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

You played archer for example right? Early on you can't move while charging, later you can move slowly while charging, later on you can move normal speed while charging, then you can charge faster with glyphs. Then later on you get a skill to cancel the rooting animation after you fire a charge shot so you can instantly start moving again after firing. Plus level 60 weapons have +8.5% and +9% attack speed bonuses, plus you get 6% attack speed necklace.

That's just one example.

Sounds good, though I can't imagine why in the world you wouldn't offer this through the whole game as a developer.  I know a ton of people who barely tried Tera because of the reasons stated.  At least explain early on that there will be more mobility later... some people just don't visit forums to read this stuff.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Yes, clearly I don't like action rpgs, since you know, I play several of them.  No, my point was that in TERA, at least until you get these mythical unlocks for animation locks that Pivot claims exist, there is no more "action" to TERA combat than when you stop to fire a cannon in GW2 or WoW.  It's exactly the same, and I don't consider stopping to aim and fire very fluid in today's market.  It's an action game, but it doesn't have any more true action combat than a few other games I can mention, and in fact, already have.

Since it was brought to my attention, I'll simply do some more research on these higher level changes and go from there.  If the melee characters (aside from the Warrior) swing as slowly as they do at level 1, 50% of my enjoyment is already gone.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by Incomparable

That would basically just mean the game developers would commit suicide on behalf of the players.  I don't see this actually having a method of allowing games to profit.

Actually it would mean each developer would benefit on how the medium is shared with other existing MMOs allowing developers to differentiate their content more rather than develop content that others have to compensate. So it can work, but I know it will never happen.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Yes, clearly I don't like action rpgs, since you know, I play several of them.  No, my point was that in TERA, at least until you get these mythical unlocks for animation locks that Pivot claims exist, there is no more "action" to TERA combat than when you stop to fire a cannon in GW2 or WoW.  It's exactly the same, and I don't consider stopping to aim and fire very fluid in today's market.  It's an action game, but it doesn't have any more true action combat than a few other games I can mention, and in fact, already have.

Since it was brought to my attention, I'll simply do some more research on these higher level changes and go from there.  If the melee characters (aside from the Warrior) swing as slowly as they do at level 1, 50% of my enjoyment is already gone.

Some of the locks are there so you can't just spam skills. You actually have to knwo how long they take and use them when you can get them off without being crushed by a boss.

Some locks are there because the skill has to be chained. If you just use the skill whenever it's very slow and you probably wont finish before something pushes in your face.

If it was just a button mash spamming skills whenever the combat would be lame. The biggest problem with low lvls in tera is they're trying to ease ppl into it and many ppl who are familiar with action combat find it too slow. At the upper lvls the game is not forgiving at all to mistakes. If you don't get out of the way many things can end you.

Yes, clearly I don't like action rpgs, since you know, I play several of them.  No, my point was that in TERA, at least until you get these mythical unlocks for animation locks that Pivot claims exist, there is no more "action" to TERA combat than when you stop to fire a cannon in GW2 or WoW.  It's exactly the same, and I don't consider stopping to aim and fire very fluid in today's market. 

I'll clarify...

There "are" action games that incorporate various animations for certain moves. It is clear that you don't like "those" games.

as far as your last comment, I disagree and prefer stopping to aim in games. I think it's a must and adds a component of choice. "do I stop and activate that killer skill or is it too dangerous at this moment to do so.

And it is clear that you don't like these type of games (as above).

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by DamonVile

Some of the locks are there so you can't just spam skills. You actually have to knwo how long they take and use them when you can get them off without being crushed by a boss.

Some locks are there because the skill has to be chained. If you just use the skill whenever it's very slow and you probably wont finish before something pushes in your face.

If it was just a button mash spamming skills whenever the combat would be lame. The biggest problem with low lvls in tera is they're trying to ease ppl into it and many ppl who are familiar with action combat find it too slow. At the upper lvls the game is not forgiving at all to mistakes. If you don't get out of the way many things can end you.

I think there's a lot of truth to this.