Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

no guild wars 2 expansions currently planned

Comments

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Seems foolish from business perspective. Personally I like to see expansions on games that I play, it's so exciting when the game gets closer to a big expansion and then you get a ton of treats at once. I also sometimes go back to check on an older game I've played when they release expansion, not going to happen with just some meaty patch.

Though there's the downside since the big expansions has the possibility to ruin something in a single massive blow. Blizzard is very good at making their game worse every expansion, for me at least, seems though like there's a perfectly nice bunch of happy customers too :)

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Really really sad news and it is rather masochist of Anet to think their sales will continue under the withering assault of future releases like Neverwinter and especially Elder Scrolls Online.

Well, if they continue to bust out content I would be just as happy. Don't really see a "sad" part. As a business move it seems silly though.

Neverwinter I don't believe will cause a big dent on any game and TESO will probably be short lived.

Using the term "continue to bust out content" implies that have been continusly busting out content sincle launch...which...they have not been, thus, this is sad news.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

Ya, they haven't....

Ya, that spells our cleary that they have been among the best in addressing issues/bugs/game fixes...but actual content updates, huge gap...

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Mad_King

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Lost_Shores

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_and_Frost:_Prelude

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_and_Frost:_The_Gathering_Storm

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wintersday_2012

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Temple_of_the_Silent_Storm

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_Watch

There are more, if you would like to look for yourself.

I don't think he's counting content that cannot be replayed right here, right now. I don't know why though. I didn't experience the Halloween jumping puzzle, but that doesn't mean it wasn't an added content. It just made the content more special, as it wasn't experienced by everybody.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Something doesn't add up.

This is what NCSOFT said in their conference call about the GW2 expansion on Nov-2012

In terms of the Guild War 2 expansion pack, that also in line with the China launch are the two big events that we have for next year and for right now, internally, we are in the process of trying to coordinate those two events.

If I am up-to-date on my financial compliance laws, you can not lie in an earnings conference call. So either we have ANet's parent company NCSoft being lied to by ANet or something else is going on.

It is also perfectly feasible ANet wants to squash any 'exp' talk to boost their base GW2 sales.

Either way, someone is lying and my guess is that NCSoft isn't the one lying since that one carries jail-time.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I've been wondering lately how many new classes there will be in the first xpac.  There's three of everything except heavy armor classes so far, but didn't each GW1 xpac introduce more than one new class?

GW2 had 2 extra campaigns and one expansion. The 2 campaigns had 2 new classes each, the expansion none.

I think it is likely that GW2s expansion instead will have 1 new class and one new race.

I am more interested if they plan to make a new campaign (Cantha? Elona?) or if they want to add more content like the ring of fire to Tyria.

• reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

I don't anticipate a campaign/expansion until this September or even later.  

The original GW came out back in April 2005 and it didn't have the first campaign until April 2006.  Back in those days, GW didn't even have an in-game shop to supplement them financially.  They had enough money to last them a whole year before the first campaign came out.

Now in GW 2, not only they have the in-game store but also the money they've made since 2005.  So I don't think they're hurting for money and need the money bad enough to push out an expansion pack or campaign only 6 months after releasing GW 2.

I might be wrong but I don't think there is a B2P or P2P game releases new expansion pack  just 6 months after the main game came out.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by reef22

I don't anticipate a campaign/expansion until this September or even later.  

The original GW came out back in April 2005 and it didn't have the first campaign until April 2006.  Back in those days, GW didn't even have an in-game shop to supplement them financially.  They had enough money to last them a whole year before the first campaign came out.

Now in GW 2, not only they have the in-game store but also the money they've made since 2005.  So I don't think they're hurting for money and need the money bad enough to push out an expansion pack or campaign only 6 months after releasing GW 2.

I might be wrong but I don't think there is a B2P or P2P game releases new expansion pack  just 6 months after the main game came out.

The team now on the other hand is 10 times larger so the question is just how much money they cn bring in on the gemstore.

I assume there will be an expansion out late this year, unless the Chinese launch will be during the summer and really earn in cash, then they can probably wait and run Wows 2 years between each expansion time.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

This has to be a downer to some. Again this harkens back to GW2 maybe costing more than we might hink. If the profit margin isn't right, they wont be in any hurry to do it again. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by bcbully

This has to be a downer to some. Again this harkens back to GW2 maybe costing more than we might hink. If the profit margin isn't right, they wont be in any hurry to do it again. 

NCSoft's financial earnings paint GW2 in a very very favourable light; ie profitable.

The GW2 expansion is coming. ANet might not want people to think about Exp this early after release but it is coming.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Bit of a shame.. since an expansion with the sheer content and quality of the GW1 expacs would have done wonders for this game. If half the people that bought the game got the expansion (which is realistic, right? possibly more depending on features added) then they'd be in the money.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Really really sad news and it is rather masochist of Anet to think their sales will continue under the withering assault of future releases like Neverwinter and especially Elder Scrolls Online.

Well, if they continue to bust out content I would be just as happy. Don't really see a "sad" part. As a business move it seems silly though.

Neverwinter I don't believe will cause a big dent on any game and TESO will probably be short lived.

Using the term "continue to bust out content" implies that have been continusly busting out content sincle launch...which...they have not been, thus, this is sad news.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

Ya, they haven't....

Ya, that spells our cleary that they have been among the best in addressing issues/bugs/game fixes...but actual content updates, huge gap...

You're actually wrong.  The patches have been full of changes, including the major announcements of the Living Story and then Guild Missions, not to mention smaller but equally cool things like Laurels.  Those aren't bug fixes, they're doing exactly what they promised months ago.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

This goes in line with what I've been thinking all along. At no point in time did anyone from ANet even hint an expansion was in the works already. The first place it was mentioned was speculators assuming one would be released this year... turns out speculators speculating in a non-spectacular fashion were spectacularly wrong.

The money they're sucking in (in a good way) with the gem store is probably more than people realize. The cosmetic/convenient way they're running the gem store is working extremely well. Hell, when was the last time you saw anyone regurgitating the old "pay to win" arguments even on these forums? It's been awhile and it would make the poster look flat out stupid when compared to reality. So they're not hurting at all. They keep improving the game, stick to their intents on this and other people will check it out. We're a curious species, after all. Many that do will like it. The player base will continue to slowly grow. And the best part... any future expansion won't simply be yet another expansion... it'll be a big, major deal if it ever happens.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

good, last think I need is to be sucked back in by a bunch of cool new game art / zones

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Excellent points Volkon.  Now my question is, do they NEED to produce an expansion to unveil all of the obviously blurred out zones in Tyria?  I should think it would be a good financial decision, but does that mean they won't do it unless it's in an expansion?  Because as devs go, ANet has consistently surprised me at how willing they are to please fans, and they're clearly already developing new content and features 100% free.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Volkon

At no point in time did anyone from ANet even hint an expansion was in the works already. The first place it was mentioned was speculators assuming one would be released this year... turns out speculators speculating in a non-spectacular fashion were spectacularly wrong.

it was first mentioned by well known analysts, KDB Daewoo, that took a recent tour of the ANET studios

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild-wars-2-expansion-predicted/

In China, the company is planning to launch Blade & Soul (via a publishing agreement with Tencent) in 3Q13 and Guild Wars 2 in 4Q13 (via a publishing agreement with Kong Zhong).

Furthermore, we expect NCsoft to release an expansion pack for Guild Wars 2 in Europe and the US in 2H13.

but yes,

ANET never announced an expansion or a timeline for GW2 China

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    If they think they can keep players interested with more mini games and stuff which is mostly what their patches are about, good for them. Whether they are correct with this decision or not? is something only time will tell.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Well if this means they want to keep delivering content continually in bursts, rather than leaving a long drought between content releases with expanisons, sounds like a good thing for the players.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Volkon

At no point in time did anyone from ANet even hint an expansion was in the works already. The first place it was mentioned was speculators assuming one would be released this year... turns out speculators speculating in a non-spectacular fashion were spectacularly wrong.

it was first mentioned by well known analysts, KDB Daewoo, that took a recent tour of the ANET studios

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild-wars-2-expansion-predicted/

In China, the company is planning to launch Blade & Soul (via a publishing agreement with Tencent) in 3Q13 and Guild Wars 2 in 4Q13 (via a publishing agreement with Kong Zhong).

Furthermore, we expect NCsoft to release an expansion pack for Guild Wars 2 in Europe and the US in 2H13.

but yes,

ANET never announced an expansion or a timeline for GW2 China

Thanks Nadia, that's exactly what I was recalling. The fact that they said "We expect NCSoft to release... " instead of ArenaNet being mentioned at all made me question exactly how caught up to speed those speculators are.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR
    Well if this means they want to keep delivering content continually in bursts, rather than leaving a long drought between content releases with expanisons, sounds like a good thing for the players.

maybe its because WvW ended up being the only thing interesting at end game, but how is it not a drought yet?

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by azmundai

maybe its because WvW ended up being the only thing interesting at end game, but how is it not a drought yet?

I thought W v W was the least interesting at end game? i see people more interested in running dungeons than W v W due to lack of progression and rewards. And from all the changes so far and patch ntes it is clear that ANET's main focus is on PVE and SPVP.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by azmundai

I can understand where you are coming from, but I actually found WvW become stale rather quickly. I've just recently started playing the game again only this I'm playing it exclusively as a PVE game.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by RegalChin

I get the impression (from very casual play and guild experiences etc) that they have been hemorrhaging.  I think that an expansion that pulled it back a little more towards GW1 would do it the world of good.  

Depends on your server. The past week, I've been getting stuffed into Overflows, which has not happened outside of Lion's Arch for quite awhile. If anything, the game seems more busy. Additionally, from many of the questions being asked in the map chats, there is seemingly an influx of new players as well.

On the other hand, my server, Isle of Janthir, is a mid-tier server in WvW. The activity there has been seemingly slower than usual, that or we just have our WvW group running at a time I'm not around. Our WvW scrore isn't super reflective of an active WvW alliance though.

Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    If they think they can keep players interested with more mini games and stuff which is mostly what their patches are about, good for them. Whether they are correct with this decision or not? is something only time will tell.

lol  So people complained for months that there was nothing special about guilds so why even be in one.  They add guild missions, and suddenly it's just a mini-game.

Maybe they need to add dungeons that take 5 hours and require 20 people but with only a 2% chance of getting the drop you want.  I can see that bringing in all kinds of business.

lol  So people complained for months that there was nothing special about guilds so why even be in one.  They add guild missions, and suddenly it's just a mini-game.

Maybe they need to add dungeons that take 5 hours and require 20 people but with only a 2% chance of getting the drop you want.  I can see that bringing in all kinds of business.

How about good old fashioned fun?  Or maybe choice?  I think back to GW1 and there was no progression in the traditional sense before you hit cap in the first few hours of play, but there were builds, exploration, elites, story, aesthetics etc that kept you coming back for months.  

ANet should have had the balls to make it a levelless game. 

And how is GW2 different?  All of those things keep people coming back.  Maybe not you, but other people.

Hmm.. levelless MMOs are something I've never thought too much about, but I'm definitely not against the idea, and frankly I'm surprised GW2 even had 80 levels.  If any series was to go levelless I'd think it'd be GW.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

How about good old fashioned fun?  Or maybe choice?  I think back to GW1 and there was no progression in the traditional sense after you hit cap in the first few hours of play, but there were builds, exploration, elites, story, aesthetics etc that kept you coming back for months.  

ANet should have had the balls to make it a levelless game. 

I don't know, this might sound a bit crazy but according to what's been done with GW2 as of late they are doing exactly what you are talking bout unless you took what Eir S said seriousely lol.

Oh and the levelless comment is subjective...very subjective though I wouldn't mind either way, maybe they tried that at first and liked levels better with their MMORPG. GW1 is a different type of game at the end of the day.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.