Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: Season Pass Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion Worlds has announced a fascinating new way to purchase Defiance updates with Season Pass. Players who purchase a Season Pass will receive the first five game updates after the game's launch.

Players who want to save big on the first 5 DLC packs rolling out after launch can now pre-purchase the Defiance Season Pass for $39.99USD, a 20% savings*. Gamers will get a massive amount of content including a new playable alien species, new weapons and vehicles, missions, and rewards, plus two bonus items, an exclusive digital Hellbug combat cap and a Lock Box. The Defiance Season Pass is the ultimate content package for the true Ark Hunter! 

Find out more on the Defiance site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Neither fascinating nor new. Other games have been ripping buyers off this way for a while. Except I assume Defiance wont be releasing a goty edition with all the DLC included for free. Then again...
  • AliGeniusAliGenius Member UncommonPosts: 32
    I take it this means we buy the game, and then every year+ after we buy a season pass possibly in sequence with the show's veritable seasons.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    wouldnt call it exciting but would expect it to be B2P and them still wanting people to pay a sort of optional sub - wont call it bad persay, not before they announce the cash shop where you can buy items seen in the TV serie ; )

oh and lock boxes ><

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Wait...they said its going to be B2P ... now they are talking about seasonal pass ?!

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    they are going to same way as The Secret World. you can play the entire game after buying it but if you want to access new content after release you either buy the updates as DLC for $5 or look at the season pass. Seems pretty reasonable to me.
  • KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Why are people so stupid? Games are made to make money, if not for a profit motive no games would be produced. I cannot imagine how lame government non profit games would be. B2P with the purcahse of content periodically is perfectly reasonable. They don't do this crap for free people.
  • uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128

Yes, the original version is buy to play.  Then, they release an expansion, which you have to purchase.  Much like when you purchase the first part of a 3 part series, you don't get all three just because you bought the first one.

Christ the sense of entitlement around here is astounding.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    So $60 for the game and then another $40 right at the start?  They aren't worried about scaring people off?  You couldn't wait 4+ months then mention passes?
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Minsc
    they are going to same way as The Secret World. you can play the entire game after buying it but if you want to access new content after release you either buy the updates as DLC for $5 or look at the season pass. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

^ This, it's not like they are pulling a Marvel Heroes or Neverwinter Online. They are going with whats fairly norm for shooters. 

You can save cash by buying the season pass and get the next 5 DLCs for less

or

Wait for the DLCs to come out and buy them individually for more. 

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Wow $60 to buy the game and then yousay the pree pass is on discount right now at $39.99? WTF is that shit? This is not the norm for shooters. 

You put out a DLC pack at regular price that cost $50? Seems a little steep for me considering the norm for map packs and what not in the shooter world is 20 bucks.

so far this is a $110 dollar game LMMFAO!

I was excited about checking this game out and seeing how it plays out...........but to be quite honest this article has turned me off.

• dirtysidedirtyside Member UncommonPosts: 102
    sounds ok , not sure why people are crying about this , if u want a good game to play you have to pay
    Originally posted by drtack1

Wow $60 to buy the game and then yousay the pree pass is on discount right now at $39.99? WTF is that shit? This is not the norm for shooters. 

You put out a DLC pack at regular price that cost $50? Seems a little steep for me considering the norm for map packs and what not in the shooter world is 20 bucks.

I was excited about checking this game out and seeing how it plays out...........but to be quite honest this article has turned me off.

They said for the next 5 DLC packs. If the norm is $20 and they are offering 5 for $40 then yes, it would seem like a discount going by the norm. 

So far this is $110 for the game and next 5 DLCs. 

It may benefit you to read the whole thing because it would appear you have not. 

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Trion.....
    Less defiance more archeage plz....
    ....tap foot impatiently...

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• chase17tnchase17tn Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    So $60 for the game and then another $40 right at the start?  They aren't worried about scaring people off?  You couldn't wait 4+ months then mention passes?

You must be dumb the season pass is a thing they do on consoles nowadays that is why they have one for this game they will be makeing dlc its not out yet but other MMO have done it WoW make you buy a whole new game just to have more shit so why wouldnt they do the same but you dont have to go to store its there for you to download when it comes out dumb asses these day's get off the pc and smeg off allready........

made by nonny
    and
    made by Braggi

thanks both u guys

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

They said for the next 5 DLC packs. If the norm is $20 and they are offering 5 for $40 then yes, it would seem like a discount going by the norm. 

It may benefit you to read the whole thing because it would appear you have not. 

You obviously missed my point. $20 would be the norm for all 5 DLC combined. Not $20 each. 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Think I will wait for the game to come out and see how it actually plays before deciding to buy the DLC's.  You are only saving $10 now if you pre-order before really knowing what you are getting into.  I have been burned too many times in the last 2 years from buying games at launch only to be sadly disappointed.  I like my new policy of waiting for at least a month so I can see actual player reviews of the released game.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ph3n0m73ph3n0m73 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

Try not to forget this game is also linked to the series so a season pass with stuff going on in the game that affects the show is reasonable....new kinda thing going on never been done before as far as i know..but dont quote me on that lol.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by uidCaustic

Yes, the original version is buy to play.  Then, they release an expansion, which you have to purchase.  Much like when you purchase the first part of a 3 part series, you don't get all three just because you bought the first one.

Christ the sense of entitlement around here is astounding.

Yeah, why would anyone expect to get some decent playtime after spending $60.  I spent $60 on GW2 last fall and don't have to spend another $40 on content packs.

How much do I need to give them before that enraging sense of entitlement is gone?

There is a rather enormous difference between gw2 and defiance.

Much of MMO costs are fixed.  Developer salary and benefits is by far the biggest expense, and thats not based on the amount of players.  GW2 needs less money per player because they have more volume, much more volume.

An MMOFPS cant be reasonably exepcted to sell big.  Given Trion's postive name value and the TV show, maybe it can sell 500k or so, but nowhere near the numbers of a gw2.

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

You obviously missed my point. $20 would be the norm for all 5 DLC combined. Not $20 each. 

You mean like "Back to Karkand" which was $15 or any of the other BF3 DLC's which are $15? or do you mean something like Black Ops 2 DLC which is $15 each?

Come to think of it, you can get all 5 BF3 DLC's for $49.99 if you do the premium pass. Which is $10 more than the Defiance Season Pass. 

So it kind of looks like the norm for me. Maybe I'm missing something though... I doubt it but it is possible. 

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Selling or not selling content is up to each mmo dev.  People will either pay it or not.  I am questioning whether its a good idea to sell content the day its released.  If you are spending $59 or $99 do you want to be told that they made more content but withheld it so they could sell it later (mass effect3)?

Can they even offer this deal if the 5 packs aren't all ready made?  How often are these updates coming out?  How much content is in each one?  I can see all sorts of problems with this.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Lol the show may not even last any more than one season. :P
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Wow,

Talk about down hill communication here.

The pass is silly to some but it's needed, bottom lines pre-release need to be made met now these days.

This means pre-orders,passes,etc are pushed to the limit. You should see the poor kids in gamestop stressing over their dlc quota's.

It's abusive true. The entire season pass is abuse (consumer) by offering a crazy amount off in order to get a mass of money out of you sooner. Instead games are now 100+ if you want to play them with the content hooks (and don't say dlc is not needed. Because it is, look at ME2...that DLC was highly important to the game in ME3)

Though I support these measures, people like trion doing this for a "mmo" are getting a bit on the consumer nerves (clearly).

It's part of business and nothing can be done at this time, nor should there be.

Personally I do not support season passes as I burn out on a game way before the promised 4th dlc comes out (Always 3-5 notice that? ) So I've learned long ago to just buy as I go. The loss of two dollars far outshines the loss of 40 bucks on a game I play for 4 days on.

Businesswise? Why wouldn't you sell these?! It's too much temptation.

Thoughi t's pretty clear we can see Trion's model for defiance will be one filled with haves or have nots (See>Cod DLC "oh you don't have revolution...that sucks well guess we'll play vanilla") and that worries me as I am more FAR more economically sound than my friends when it comes to games. Which is really what it all comes down to right?

How much money does a user have to spend on us.

• jocieBjocieB Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Neither fascinating nor new.

you know, the first thing that came to my mind as I was reading this post was, "I wonder how deep I'll have to get into these comments before someone says it's not fascinating or new".  Thank the lord you were comment number one.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I'm quite sure the DLCs are must have for defiance.

Playing "Vanilla" probably doesn't get you too far.

• shin_chanshin_chan Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by itchmon
    Trion.....
    Less defiance more archeage plz....
    ....tap foot impatiently...

[2]