Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guildwars 2 gets better... right?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by dauntSilver
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    What type of games do you like and play OP? answer this and I might save you some time.

I've been off games for a while. There are a ton of people on here like me, played EQ early 2000s, had a little encounter with WoW. from then on, mmorpgs have been getting worse and worse.. Eve online wasnt too bad, but i never really gave it much of a chance. I might go back to Eve and give it a try actually.

what type of class do you normally play in MMOs might give better idea of what class you may like in GW2

well classtype doesnt really matter to me. sometimes I'm warrior, actually more times than not I usually tank. I also like ranger and magic classes.

guardian sounds like a good fit for you, warrior may also be your style as well in this game but i'd definitely try out guardian

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

It's possible you just actually wasted your $60. Is it becuase of the game? No, it's becuase of your taste and what you like in a game.  Plenty of people like me didn't waste our $60 becuase we find the game fun.  Don't get me wrong, it sucks to waste money on games.  I felt I wasted money on The Secret World, Eve, and Age of Conan but that's how it goes. 

Like others suggested, try other classes and races but I have a feeling if the game didn't even hook you by level 4 it probably isn't going to be  a game you like.  I have a RL friend that didn't make it to level 5, but he is also one of those that calls all MMOs a WoW clone.  I think he even said AoC was a WoW clone, so there you go.  Either way, good luck.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I tried every class and I never did fully enjoy the game. Necromancer almost got me hooked, but it still ended up being the same old dull content.
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by jazz.be

I thought the engineer class was there to actually regrow interest in the game for those moments when you think you feel like uninstalling the game. 

I tried several classes and you know, it's all the same. The engineer is quite cool with the kits, it gave you some variety in playstyle. The ranger is the most boring of all, I guess they wanted the ranger to be the typical ranger/hunter from other games. Elemental is meh, all the attunements feel artificial and fabricated. 

I've played the guardian and I don't really understand what he's about. 

In fact I don't understand what the whole combat is about. It's all about boons apparently, boons, debuffs and buffs. And they're all extremely short when applied. 

I think the engineer is a good choice actually, for sake of variety.

depends what class you play and what spec you are as combat will be about differn't things for differn't classes/specs

Yes but how much do specs change to your playstyle? And I'm not just talking about which buttons you hit. I've learned that to play the elemental correctly you have to keep switching between attunements to reach full potential. So whatever spec it is you play in, you'll do the same thing but perhaps follow another sequence.

if you are following another sequence how are you doing the same thing?

yes you are going to push buttons and mobs will die like all games but in how you do it you have a lot of playstyles..

for example most classes are proficient in both melee styles and ranged. Most can do condition or burst, some rely on avoidance some on causing blinds, stuns, dazes and more control playstyle then some rely on more distractions like mesmer.. my mesmer has completely differn't playstyles depending on how i build her and what weapon sets I use, how i use my illusions, what illusions i use and how I'm traited will very much determine how I play my class

Different playstyle to me is having different strengths, which comes with different weaknesses.

And they need to be so different that it affects your whole behavior towards players and npc's and world in general.

And those conditions are so short that I can't see how it affects a fight. Perhaps It's to fast paced for me.

I thought the engineer class was there to actually regrow interest in the game for those moments when you think you feel like uninstalling the game. 

I tried several classes and you know, it's all the same. The engineer is quite cool with the kits, it gave you some variety in playstyle. The ranger is the most boring of all, I guess they wanted the ranger to be the typical ranger/hunter from other games. Elemental is meh, all the attunements feel artificial and fabricated. 

I've played the guardian and I don't really understand what he's about. 

In fact I don't understand what the whole combat is about. It's all about boons apparently, boons, debuffs and buffs. And they're all extremely short when applied. 

I think the engineer is a good choice actually, for sake of variety.

depends what class you play and what spec you are as combat will be about differn't things for differn't classes/specs

Yes but how much do specs change to your playstyle? And I'm not just talking about which buttons you hit. I've learned that to play the elemental correctly you have to keep switching between attunements to reach full potential. So whatever spec it is you play in, you'll do the same thing but perhaps follow another sequence.

if you are following another sequence how are you doing the same thing?

yes you are going to push buttons and mobs will die like all games but in how you do it you have a lot of playstyles..

for example most classes are proficient in both melee styles and ranged. Most can do condition or burst, some rely on avoidance some on causing blinds, stuns, dazes and more control playstyle then some rely on more distractions like mesmer.. my mesmer has completely differn't playstyles depending on how i build her and what weapon sets I use, how i use my illusions, what illusions i use and how I'm traited will very much determine how I play my class

Different playstyle to me is having different strengths, which comes with different weaknesses.

And they need to be so different that it affects your whole behavior towards players and npc's and world in general.

And those conditions are so short that I can't see how it affects a fight. Perhaps It's to fast paced for me.

which gw2 classes very much has in many ways.. but yes the boons and conditions are somewhat short in duration(can be traited to last a bit longer overall) but as you said the game is very fast paced

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Just bought, downloaded and installed the game today. after playing for about two hours, I feel like i just threw away 60 bucks. I am playing as a human engineer, only level 4. I dont even know if I want to log on anymore. Please tell me it gets better and I'm just getting the wrong first impression :[

It depends on why you don't like it.  If you hate theme parks, then no, it's no going to get better for you.  If you're annoyed that you don't have enough options in combat, then at level 4, you have no skill choices, no weapon switching, no traits, and a bunch of other restrictions, and yes, that does ease up as you get higher level.  While it would be ridiculous to say that you need to get to 80 before you can judge, level 4 is awfully low.

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Quizzical

It depends on why you don't like it.  If you hate theme parks, then no, it's no going to get better for you.  If you're annoyed that you don't have enough options in combat, then at level 4, you have no skill choices, no weapon switching, no traits, and a bunch of other restrictions, and yes, that does ease up as you get higher level.  While it would be ridiculous to say that you need to get to 80 before you can judge, level 4 is awfully low.

I would say level 10 or 15 is good enough to get a food feel  for what the game is like. thats not a rediculous number to reach and you can probably do it in the first hour or two. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

Originally posted by pantheron
    Originally posted by Quizzical

I would say level 10 or 15 is good enough to get a food feel  for what the game is like. thats not a rediculous number to reach and you can probably do it in the first hour or two. 

yea 10-15 is good level to judge the combat.. 15 will give you a couple trait points to see how that goes and by then you will have a couple utility skills and weapon swapping at least

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    The engineer class is quite boring until you get your first utility skills, which come later in the game. Roll another character, if not right away, you can take a break before you do. Its not like you have a subscription running.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

For get all the questing and stuff. It doesn't change much. 

Jump into WvW. You should be able to have some fun for a bit.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    If you you aren't really into the game from the start you're best bet is to just walk away, because leveling is as good as it gets.  The game only goes downhill when you reach its non-existent endgame.
  • wackypogiwackypogi Member UncommonPosts: 13
    i think its one of the best MMO in market for now... :D

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

So you posted to say it's not your cup of tea.

Okay then, you can't please everyone, that would be very boring. Maybe do a little more research before you buy. In all honesty $60 is not that much, that's dinner and drinks in one evening at that. It's all about perspective.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Acebets70
    I got 2 months of playtime and i cant even log in anymore...Gonna uninstall soon which makes me sad because i really bought into the hype...

and watch, you are going to fall into the hype again the next time a big new hyped up MMO comes along...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    I have bad news for you OP. The first 10-15 levels are the best part of the game.
  • PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    I have a Collector's Edition... i dont play any more. Bcuz at every lvl, the gameplay is identicle. As u lvl up the world doesnt get sparse, u still bump into safty villages every 50 second sprint in any direction. GW2 is too handholding, too kidish for me anymore.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

It's a stellar themepark, if that is what you are looking for.  An increasing number of people are burned out on them and want more.  We're all waiting for some of these new games with more emergent gameplay coming this year and next year.

Honestly, I find LOTRO to be a better themepark because it doesn't feel as contrived and linear  as GW2 feels.

ANet keeps talking about how they want GW2 to feel like a living world, but the more they try, the less it does IMO.

How is GW2 linear, aside from the Personal Story progression? By the time you hit level 25 you already have more content and worldspace than you need to level and level scaling allows you to meaningfully play almost anywhere you are high enough level to play in. I've leveled 7 toons to 80 and I'm always finding that by level 40 I'm completely off the rails and choosing where to go and what to do completely on a whim.

Most of my friends from other MMOs have trouble adapting to the amount of freedom the game offers. They literally don't know what to do with themselves because there is just too much to do.

GW2 is the least linear "theme park" MMO I've ever played and I've played many over the last 14 years. It may not feel like it for the first 15 levels, but even then it's usually because people are sticking too close to their Personal Story and ignoring the other four starting zones they can easily travel to and adventure in.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    I hear and feel for you op.  I could not get past level 9.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    I have bad news for you OP. The first 10-15 levels are the best part of the game.

thats a lie.

post 30 is the best part of the game. I say around 60 honestly.

At 60 you get full access to the Trait system with all tiers unlocked.

You get more dungeons to run (problem is the time it takes to get into a group)

More zones to explore.

More Events.

Dragon Events for Meta events.

have all you skill bar unlocked to make whatever build you want.

Better looking gear.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

thats a lie.

More zones to explore.

More Events.

Better looking gear.

Once you reach level 20 you will have the same experience without any type of changing in combat, playstyle, play choices.... as you do at 80.  The experience at Level 20 is the same for the next 60 levels.

Traits are so underwhelming (Zelous Blade anyone) that they hardly effect your playstyle over than forcing you into that one weapon set that you've been using since level 1. 

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by NaMeNaMe

thats a lie.

More zones to explore.

More Events.

Better looking gear.

Once you reach level 20 you will have the same experience without any type of changing in combat, playstyle, play choices.... as you do at 80.  The experience at Level 20 is the same for the next 60 levels.

Traits are so underwhelming (Zelous Blade anyone) that they hardly effect your playstyle over than forcing you into that one weapon set that you've been using since level 1. 

Not really true, a lot of higher level traits significantly change your playstyle. Take mesmers for example where dodge can create clones (level 40 minimum) and shatters from yourself (level 60 minimum).

At level 40, dodging becomes an offensive tactic, rather than defensive. At level 60 you gain access to your defensive shatters (F3 and F4) at any time without needing clones.

Both those traits significantly change the playstyle of the class. In fact most Grandmaster tier traits are playstyle changers. Thiefs become group buffers with Venemous Aura. Rangers get to use their signets on themselves as well as their pets. Elementalists can use their signets whenever they want and not lose the passives.  Engineers can become anti-conditions. Warriors can become healers.  Guardians can become condition converters.

Admittedly Necro grandmasters are fairly lacklustre.

But for most classes high level traits will result in significant changes to skill groups, which should change your playstyle and when you use certain skills.

Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by NaMeNaMe

thats a lie.

More zones to explore.

More Events.

Better looking gear.

Not really true, a lot of higher level traits significantly change your playstyle. Take mesmers for example where dodge can create clones (level 40 minimum) and shatters from yourself (level 60 minimum).

At level 40, dodging becomes an offensive tactic, rather than defensive. At level 60 you gain access to your defensive shatters (F3 and F4) at any time without needing clones.

Both those traits significantly change the playstyle of the class. In fact most Grandmaster tier traits are playstyle changers. Thiefs become group buffers with Venemous Aura. Rangers get to use their signets on themselves as well as their pets. Elementalists can use their signets whenever they want and not lose the passives.  Engineers can become anti-conditions. Warriors can become healers.  Guardians can become condition converters.

Admittedly Necro grandmasters are fairly lacklustre.

But for most classes high level traits will result in significant changes to skill groups, which should change your playstyle and when you use certain skills.

i havent got all classes to 60+ but in my experience by 60 you have a lot of build options per classes i have played.. numerous styles, numerous ways to fight, numerous ways to help your group,  numerous ways to deal and avoid damage as well.. very very good variety in my experience compared to many other MMOs

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Just bought, downloaded and installed the game today. after playing for about two hours, I feel like i just threw away 60 bucks. I am playing as a human engineer, only level 4. I dont even know if I want to log on anymore. Please tell me it gets better and I'm just getting the wrong first impression :[

Dump the Engineer right now.

My good friend and longtime guild mate started with an Engineer back at release and he quit the game at around level 30ish.  He recently cambe back almsot 2 months ago on my behest and started a Guardian.  He now plays more hours per day the nI and is already farming for his legendary which is something I'll never do do.  Thats how much more he likes the game because of picking the wrong class.

Try soemthing else, if you want a class that uses guns try a Thief or a Rifle Warrior.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

If you want to know if the pvp ever gets more  interesting  or if you can play something  other than a DPS spam "hybrid" the answer is no. Does the world get more interactive as you progress and do your deeds have lasting effects, no. Are DEs just repeatable quests that dont require a que, yes. In order to "enjoy" this game you have to have attention deficit disorder, and like rapidly spamming buttons with few skil choices, you have to want to clear what can be loosely called content as fast as possible and many times as you can a day and enjoy every second of it. Also WvW is terrible and you will have little interaction with others outside of grinding a few DEs in lower levels. The game world itself is somehow lacking, it feels meaningless to complete story lines or attain anything, an incredibly segregated and souless community. Its like one giant never ending Daily quest.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    It does not get any better. The game is nothing but a massive grind that anet didn't even try to hide, but instead made it even worse with DR and nothing meaningful to do at max level.