Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

no guild wars 2 expansions currently planned

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Really really sad news and it is rather masochist of Anet to think their sales will continue under the withering assault of future releases like Neverwinter and especially Elder Scrolls Online.

Well, if they continue to bust out content I would be just as happy. Don't really see a "sad" part. As a business move it seems silly though.

Neverwinter I don't believe will cause a big dent on any game and TESO will probably be short lived.

Using the term "continue to bust out content" implies that have been continusly busting out content sincle launch...which...they have not been, thus, this is sad news.

Since the game has come out, we have had 3 content updates. I have played 2 of the 3 and had a lot of fun. Will be playing the new content in April when I have free time again and I am sure that will be just as fun.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Really really sad news and it is rather masochist of Anet to think their sales will continue under the withering assault of future releases like Neverwinter and especially Elder Scrolls Online.

Well, if they continue to bust out content I would be just as happy. Don't really see a "sad" part. As a business move it seems silly though.

Neverwinter I don't believe will cause a big dent on any game and TESO will probably be short lived.

Using the term "continue to bust out content" implies that have been continusly busting out content sincle launch...which...they have not been, thus, this is sad news.

Since the game has come out, we have had 3 content updates. I have played 2 of the 3 and had a lot of fun. Will be playing the new content in April when I have free time again and I am sure that will be just as fun.

I'm sorry, but SWTOR's first "content update" had more actual content added than GW2 has had thus far...I did not say that theyadded no content, i said thay have not been "busting out content since launch"

I know you are fans of the game, its well made, but lets call a spade a spade...

Originally posted by Torvaldr

So far they've been matching Trion's pace with Rift when it was first released.

I agree...but Trion was not adding content in the time frame you are referencing, they were applying fixes, class changes, game design changes, which ANET has been doing with GW2 as well at the exact same pace. My comment was purly about content updates.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

I'm sure they will add:

New professions.  The balancing problems in the old game was beause you could sub-class, ,and that made balancing tough.  Won't be an issue to add new professions in this game.

New weapon skills.  You can currently choose your utility skills.  In the future, you will be able to pick your weapon skills as well (ie, 10 choices instead of 5 for a greatsword).

Either way, I am happy with the way GW2 has been going.  It would be silly of them to release a new xpac this year when there is still bug polishing and some other issues to address in GW2 before releasing a ton of new stuff.  Just my opinion.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Eir_S

I don't expect Neverwinter's going to do that well, personally.  I could be wrong, but it looks very 'been there done that'.

I disagree. It looks different then most MMO's I've played lately combat-wise. 

I'm sorry, but SWTOR's first "content update" had more actual content added than GW2 has had thus far...I did not say that theyadded no content, i said thay have not been "busting out content since launch"

I know you are fans of the game, its well made, but lets call a spade a spade...

No, I am not a fan. I have some things I am really upset with when it comes to GW2 and been very vocal on their forums about it and here on mmorpg.com. No expansion in the works is not one of them. If every 1-2 months they keep giving new content whats the big deal? Its all been free on a B2P game. If you dont see the value and how fair they have been, I sugest you take a second look. As for SWToR, they are down to 8 servers and have been found wanting when mesured to GW2.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    I'm surprised by this, I though expansion was unofficially announced for this year. On the other hand I'm glad they are focusing on improving the core game.

No, I am not a fan. I have some things I am really upset with when it comes to GW2 and been very vocal on their forums about it and here on mmorpg.com. No expansion in the works is not one of them. If every 1-2 months they keep giving new content whats the big deal? Its all been free on a B2P game. If you dont see the value and how fair they have been, I sugest you take a second look. As for SWToR, they are down to 8 servers and have been found wanting when mesured to GW2.

Way to completely distort the initial comment. My first response was at the implication that they have been "busting out content since launch"...i pointed out that they have not, and that even SWTOR had more  pure content added at this point in its life...If you want to turn this into which game is better and which will last longer, have that discussion with yourself.

My point was they a) have not been "busting out content since launch", and b) no xpac/big content update in its first year is disapointing.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    nha,arenanet said there would be an expension !they didnt say when.you have to remember that what is going on is the teaser right now.as far as i know not of the next game but of actually this game.i found out way later by speaking to one char amoung the humdered i spoke to about the stuff going on.it it was more of a hint then actually what is going on.if you like story you will love it in gw2 but you will have to find it because hint is what you will get!i ll give you an exemple there was an item that was under a dolyak group they were walking on the freaking item lol.i turned that to a toon (more searching about who it belonged to and lo and behold a new explaination goes on.take note when you turn in because they will be revelevent when you meet those toon later on!

Way to completely distort the initial comment. My first response was at the implication that they have been "busting out content since launch"...i pointed out that they have not, and that even SWTOR had more  pure content added at this point in its life...If you want to turn this into which game is better and which will last longer, have that discussion with yourself.

My point was they a) have not been "busting out content since launch", and b) no xpac/big content update in its first year is disapointing.

SWToR half done content that most people didnt care about because it felt like an after thought vs GW2 fun content that people loved? I rather quality over quanity. Now take free content thats quality I will say again. I think you are miss judging a problem here with GW2. 

SWToR half done content that most people didnt care about because it felt like an after thought vs GW2 fun content that people loved? I rather quality over quanity. Now take free content thats quality I will say again. I think you are miss judging a problem here with GW2. 

Why are you still harping on SWTOR? I know you keep trying to bate me into arguing something that you can "win", but I will not go there with you.

The fact is (and the only point I am making), they have not been "busting out content since launch". This is not an opinion, this is a fact.

Secondly, since you keep repeating "free" over and over...B2P should not mean we have to settle for a few quest chains added here and there as "content updates", and dont have the right to complain.  How many times did ANet say that we were going to be blown away by the amount of content they were going to add in Jan/Feb, which did not happen? B2P should not mean that they get away with adding less content then P2P games do. B2P was supposed to be a perk, a business model that set them apart while still maintianing the same kind of service. I am sorry, but no major content updates in the games first year is sad, stop implying "its free, shut up".

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    the question would be say they add guild halls in a content patch then new weapons in another patch then a new race in another patch.. if they did this then a full out expansion really isn't needed.. saying that though just from a financial standpoint seems silly not to have a paid expansion in the works.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Praetalus
    Originally posted by Eir_S

I don't expect Neverwinter's going to do that well, personally.  I could be wrong, but it looks very 'been there done that'.

I disagree. It looks different then most MMO's I've played lately combat-wise. 

I disagree - using Perfectworld as the publisher will doom this game. I have never liked any game they have put out.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

I guess they don't really have anything to lose if they don't release any expansions.  I have no idea what it cost to develop GW2, but at 3 million sells at 60 bucks a pop (some of them are more for the collector's pack) I'd hope that'd net them a pretty good profit.

I think it'd be a weird philosophy to just keep releasing small content patches instead of an expansion you can charge for though.  If you're not going to expand on the game then you're going to have to move onto developing something totally new to bring in more money.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

Ya, they haven't....

Ya, they haven't....

Ya, that spells our cleary that they have been among the best in addressing issues/bugs/game fixes...but actual content updates, huge gap...

Ya, they haven't....

Ya, that spells our cleary that they have been among the best in addressing issues/bugs/game fixes...but actual content updates, huge gap...

every month since oct has been a content patch.. the holiday events were large content patches just the content wasn't permanent but still large content patches nonetheless.. 

this is easier way to see

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/october-2012/ can use the bar up top to scroll through the months

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Ya, they haven't....

every month since oct has been a content patch.. the holiday events were large content patches just the content wasn't permanent but still large content patches nonetheless.. 

Every month has had a monumental amount of fixes/game design changes, can you please copy paste all the added content each month?

I literally though you were linking that to show everyone the lack of content...if you linked that to somehow show "all the content updates", I really feel sympathy.

Not to crap on the Haloween update, it was indeed pretty badass, but using conent that can no longer be accessed to prove content updates, is quite a desprate grasp. If there were so many large updates, you should be able to off hand mention something other than a no longer accessable holiday event lol.

duplicate

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

There is an xpac in the works, I dont have proof and I dont need it.

Its just a simple fact.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Ya, they haven't....

Every month has had a monumental amount of fixes/game design changes, can you please copy paste all the added content each month?

I literally though you were linking that to show everyone the lack of content...if you linked that to somehow show "all the content updates", I really feel sympathy.

Not to crap on the Haloween update, it was indeed pretty badass, but using conent that can no longer be accessed to prove content updates, is quite a desprate grasp. If there were so many large updates, you should be able to off hand mention something other than a no longer accessable holiday event lol.

the halloween event offered more stuff to do than most large content patches in MMOs so its pretty relevant even if it was a one time thing as I'm sure it took them a good deal of time to do and was very elaborate overall.. and again all the updates are in the link I posted above.. i been playing these MMOs forever and never played one(even Rift) that has brought out as much new stuff as GW2 in such a short amount of time.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    If they actually fix the big problems it's probably a good thing. Lots to fix though.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Ya, they haven't....

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Mad_King

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Lost_Shores

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_and_Frost:_Prelude

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_and_Frost:_The_Gathering_Storm

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wintersday_2012

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Temple_of_the_Silent_Storm

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_Watch

There are more, if you would like to look for yourself.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I have to admit I'm totally confused by this news. We know afrer launch they broke the staff up into smaller units, one for ongoing core game development, one for live content and, I thought, almost half the company was working on expansion content.

It sounds to me like they have had half the company working on the getting game ready for release in the East, rather than working on an expansion. I actually had assumed that NCSoft would Easternize the game with it's own staff, with some supervision from Arenanet, not have Arenanet waste half it's resources doing the conversion?!?!?!

I'm really confused.

If their artists/modelers haven't been working on an expansion, what the heck have they been working on? It certainly isn't the Live Content. (Well, obviously, some modelers/artists are working on that, but we aren't seeing a company's worth of work output). It also isn't Gem Store weapon/armor skins, another area where they have fallen flat on their faces vs. expectations. Are they making Easternized armor, weapons and character models?

I don't get it.

I'm a huge fan of the game and still having a lot of fun playing, but any excuses I've made for the disappointment in the ongoing development of the game hinged on the assumption that half of Arenanet was hard at work on an expansion. If that's not the case, I'm befuddled.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

The main thing I am looking at for expansion material are new classes, I hear the first GW1 was wonderful with that.  The other being brand new lands to explore.  So much of the current map is not being used and is begging for new zones to be made.  If they can pull that off in content updates I'll be fine but sadly I think thsoe are to huge a hurdle and are more suited for expansion materials. 

Sadly with this news, it becomes more apparent my time in GW2 is growing shorter as we move ever closer to NWO and ESO release.  Agree with you about NWO (although it is a catchy game and could sneak up and continue to grow) but ESO is the next monster in waiting.  Now I am not saying it's gonna be the next WoW so dont take my remarks out of context but I would bet a lifetimes paycheck that it will sell more then GW2 ever dreamed of.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!