Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanilla WOW

Comments

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by tachgb
    Best alternative is to turn off exp when you hit level 60 and find a few WoW Vanilla guilds who only play vanilla content, it's what I do and it's fun. :)

That wouldn't work for EVERYTHING we used to do in Vanilla.  The large raids on Stormwind and Ironforge (and Darnassus) would be impossible at level 60 and those were so so much fun back then.  I'm afraid that Vanilla WoW is just gone. It's a thing of the past that many of us will always look back on with fond memories, but they will remain.....memories. That time simply cannot be recaptured.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I would pay $4.99 a month for a maintained server. In fact, I might even pay the full retail subscription if there were enough folks involved to bring back the "good old days". :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    Originally posted by tachgb
    Best alternative is to turn off exp when you hit level 60 and find a few WoW Vanilla guilds who only play vanilla content, it's what I do and it's fun. :)

That wouldn't work for EVERYTHING we used to do in Vanilla.  The large raids on Stormwind and Ironforge (and Darnassus) would be impossible at level 60 and those were so so much fun back then.  I'm afraid that Vanilla WoW is just gone. It's a thing of the past that many of us will always look back on with fond memories, but they will remain.....memories. That time simply cannot be recaptured.

Well there are other ways, we just can't discuss them here! o.O

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

"it's an event of the century if you even meet opposing faction people of your own server  *sob*"

lately saw an alliance quester help out horde in dire need when getting whipped by a group of mods, exhange /hug and continue questing in the same area....in STV.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Mischiff

If Blizzard hosted Vanilla WoW servers, how many of you would play on them ?

I miss the old game.  Maybe Vanilla WoW with flying mounts ..  that would be sweet ...  

anyways .. i just think the old game was the best game .. and I'd probably play if they had 

a Vanilla server ......

One condition:

"Classic" servers must include "Classic" bugs, incomplete classes, and "Classic" server instabilities.

I don't believe in idealizations. You get vanishing boats and griffons back, broken charge and vanish, stuck-while-gathering, melee hunters, useless warlocks and druids, no Alliance shamans or Horde paladins, a freaking enormous list of QoL updates reverted--you take the bad along with the good, or you get nothing.

i'd resub in a heartbeat to that crappy game with the gazillion bugs.

Everyone knows the game had bugs but i'd love to play the game for about a year clear all the content including 40m naxx and call it a day for good. I'd love it really.

Call me crazy but classic WoW was awesome and i know so from recent experience *tips hat*

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I miss the old game.  Maybe Vanilla WoW with flying mounts ..  that would be sweet ...  

anyways .. i just think the old game was the best game .. and I'd probably play if they had 

a Vanilla server ......

How many people do you think would actually play after they reached 60 and there was nothing left to do? Consider, also, that the only people who would play it are the people that have already played it.

I am 61 yrs old and I would play it. 

• PrimernovaPrimernova Member Posts: 7

a Vanilla server ......

It doesn't need to be vanilla WoW, just the philosophy of the game, up to Ulduar. I don't care what bads do, it's up to them. Early WotLK was plenty easy, but didn't destroy the roots of the game.

The dev's current trick (5.2) is to try to lock the "TARDget audience" of baddies, into no LFR; until weeks after normal raiders get to see wings of the new raid.

/popcorn

I give it a week, until they nerf that.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    i would only play if they upgraded the graphics to something like Rift. Vanilla WoW was great in many aspects but graphics were pretty horrible, when compared with today's games.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    i would only play if they upgraded the graphics to something like Rift. Vanilla WoW was great in many aspects but graphics were pretty horrible, when compared with today's games.

The graphics were pretty bad by 2004 standards too. Still are. And gameplay has always been abysmal. 

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

I hated vanilla WoW because it was the most anti social, casual, linear, hand holding, easy MMORPG out at the time.

Why would I go back to it, just because WoW has gotten even MORE casual over the years?

You havent played at all wow back at vanilla did u?

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

a Vanilla server ......

How many people do you think would actually play after they reached 60 and there was nothing left to do? Consider, also, that the only people who would play it are the people that have already played it.

Well, if with "vanilla" the final version before BC is meant, then there was a lot to do with level 60. MC, BWL, Nax, AQ20, AQ40, ZG and PvP.

Still, I probably wouldn't play. The old version had a lot going for it that the new one didn't, but I also played the old version a lot, so there wouldn't be a lot to see. Not to mention that one thing that motivated people a lot early on was to be in areas where most people haven't been. Like, when your guild advances in AQ40, and you get some new equipment that only one or two other people have on the server. And you can tell stories like "Viscidus? Yeah, we have beaten him yesterday. You haven't been there? Ah, he is huge. No, larger!" and tell more stories of the like. Or just the moment when you moved forward, and saw a huge boss nearly nobody else had seen before.

But now? Everyone has run through the old dungeons solo or in small groups. There is nothing left to discover.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

a Vanilla server ......

I wouldn't. I really think a lot of you are looking back more foundly then you should... I'm not down for getting groups together for 45 mins, running all the way there and having some bastard drop out.. or drop out while in a dungeon and ruin the whole deal lol. 

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Icewhite

If Blizzard hosted Vanilla WoW servers, how many of you would play on them ? I miss the old game.  Maybe Vanilla WoW with flying mounts ..  that would be sweet ...   anyways .. i just think the old game was the best game .. and I'd probably play if they had  a Vanilla server ......

One condition:

"Classic" servers must include "Classic" bugs, incomplete classes, and "Classic" server instabilities.

I don't believe in idealizations. You get vanishing boats and griffons back, broken charge and vanish, stuck-while-gathering, melee hunters, useless warlocks and druids, no Alliance shamans or Horde paladins, a freaking enormous list of QoL updates reverted--you take the bad along with the good, or you get nothing.

Oh get over yourself. Stuck while looting/gathering wasnt vanilla. It was a 1 or 2 week issue. How do any of those shallow complaints not mirror complaints made today about every mmo. Ffs.
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by Praetalus

a Vanilla server ......

I wouldn't. I really think a lot of you are looking back more foundly then you should... I'm not down for getting groups together for 45 mins, running all the way there and having some bastard drop out.. or drop out while in a dungeon and ruin the whole deal lol. 

I'll take that any day, instead of being able to insta dungeon through the LFD with random people who never talk to each other. Plus running to the dungeons meant a lot of world PvP happened around instances. I cannot say how long I would play on an official Vanilla server. But I would definitely resub on day 1 for such a server. MoP, however, I have ZERO interest in resubbing for.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by OgreRaper

a Vanilla server ......

I'll take that any day, instead of being able to insta dungeon through the LFD with random people who never talk to each other. Plus running to the dungeons meant a lot of world PvP happened around instances. I cannot say how long I would play on an official Vanilla server. But I would definitely resub on day 1 for such a server. MoP, however, I have ZERO interest in resubbing for.

I will agree that the insta dungeon deal has shit on things a bit.. I mean, for a casual gamer like me, it's cool to get in quickly, but I do agree that the social aspect has suffered. I would want a happy medium I suppose. I was part of a really great guild of friends in Vanilla... when we could all get together, it was awesome. When we couldn't... it was a nitemare. 

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

a Vanilla server ......

You do realize that you can still create your own groups and run dungeons and chit chat with your party just like in the old days right? Nothing is stopping you. You can even use the LFD tool while in your pre-made group to receive the VP/gold rewards.

Not eveyone is a socal butterfly like yourself and have a bunch of friends playing WoW. For them, the LFD tool is the only way they can enjoy doing dungeons because EVERYONE is a stranger to them. Why would you want to take that away from them?

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by tazarconan

I hated vanilla WoW because it was the most anti social, casual, linear, hand holding, easy MMORPG out at the time.

Why would I go back to it, just because WoW has gotten even MORE casual over the years?

I played right when it came out. It was incredibly boring, and way WAY too easy/casual. 

It's only gotten worse with time. 

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by tazarconan

I played right when it came out. It was incredibly boring, and way WAY too easy/casual. 

It's only gotten worse with time. 

Not everyone is as awesome and hardcore as yourself. You need to give developers some slack and allow them to create a game that is not aimed at the most awesome .0000001% of the MMO population that you represent.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Everyone may enjoy reading about long days of past, but with a little search it may not just be a dream!

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by Psychow

a Vanilla server ......

You do realize that you can still create your own groups and run dungeons and chit chat with your party just like in the old days right? Nothing is stopping you. You can even use the LFD tool while in your pre-made group to receive the VP/gold rewards.

Not eveyone is a socal butterfly like yourself and have a bunch of friends playing WoW. For them, the LFD tool is the only way they can enjoy doing dungeons because EVERYONE is a stranger to them. Why would you want to take that away from them?

A friend and I leveled in the original wow through dungeons only and got pick up members along the way. We did no quest and had a blast. You are exagerating on how hard it was to find groups, we leveled really fast without dungeon finder.

• KiyonoriKiyonori Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by qombi

Everyone may enjoy reading about long days of past, but with a little search it may not just be a dream!

Very clever.

I would also like an Official vanilla server but like others have said it wouldn't be worth the time or the money. It would be nice to go down memory lane and experience what WoW was when it was still an mmo.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

why bother with official, youcould be playing on  a private server in 30mins that has far better communities than official (people playing because they love it, and no gear peer pressure to rush to end game)  they even have better scripted events, i.e on 1 server everone was turned into a random fish :)

í

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

You're not making any sense.

If you hated it back then, I'm assuming you stopped playing back then as well? So....if that's true, why are you posting here? The OP is obviously asking his question to people that loved Vanilla WoW and hate it's current state?

You must not know who DavisFlight is yet.  His hatred for WoW knows no bounds.  Even in threads that have nothing to do with WoW, he will find a way to start bashing WoW.  Its probably unhealthy to carry that much rage for a game for so long..but then again this is mmorpg.com and it is probably the most finicky demographic in the world.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Who would want to play an MMO that would never change, never have new content?

Thats why we have Console games.

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215

I probably wouldn't play a Vanilla server unless if it was a progressive one that had the original patch release cycle, mainly because I have been playing Vanilla a lot lately elsewhere, but a TBC server would  be what I would gladly welcome. But the TBC server, too, should probably go through the expansion's own patch release cycle, because especially after patch 2.4 the game loses a lot of important stuff such as attunements which I want to see.