Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

no guild wars 2 expansions currently planned

IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193

Expansions are definitely something that we’ll potentially look at in the future," he explained. "We don’t have a timetable on it. We’re open to it, but I think our major focus as a studio is making the living world concept as strong as possibly can for the players that we’ve got.

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I find that really hard to believe for a B2P game. Most people who would be interested in the game have likely bought it by now. Are gem sales so strong that they can finance the game's ongoing operations and development for years? I'm skeptical. Maybe they haven't started working on on xpac yet but I'd be very surprised if there isn't one by the end of next year.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by meddyck
    I find that really hard to believe for a B2P game. Most people who would be interested in the game have likely bought it by now. Are gem sales so strong that they can finance the game's ongoing operations and development for years? I'm skeptical. Maybe they haven't started working on on xpac yet but I'd be very surprised if there isn't one by the end of next year.

TBH I would be surprised if there isn't one by the end of this year. Regardless of how good/bad the gem shop is doing I would believe they need to do this.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

related

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/253070-gw2-expansion-targeted-for-2013/

It is true that Kongzhong is our Chinese publisher and that we are working with them to release Guild Wars 2 into the Chinese market. But like with the release in North America and Europe, we will do extensive beta testing, and the feedback of those tests will determine the time when we will release the game in China.

It is also true that we have said in the past that we will do an expansion at one point. But currently we are fully committed to expand the world of Guild Wars 2 through our Living Story (you can read more about it in this blog post by narrative designer Angel McCoy)

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Really really sad news and it is rather masochist of Anet to think their sales will continue under the withering assault of future releases like Neverwinter and especially Elder Scrolls Online.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Really really sad news and it is rather masochist of Anet to think their sales will continue under the withering assault of future releases like Neverwinter and especially Elder Scrolls Online.

Well, if they continue to bust out content I would be just as happy. Don't really see a "sad" part. As a business move it seems silly though.

Neverwinter I don't believe will cause a big dent on any game and TESO will probably be short lived.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well I'd say between those two reports it pretty much clinches it that there will be no expansion this year anyways.

Makes sense, now that its more of a traditional MMORPG it likely will follow WOW's two year expansion cycles.  I'm sure there's still millions of potential GW2 customers out there that haven't given the title a try yet, and ANET maybe focusing on trying to lure them in to the original game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I don't expect Neverwinter's going to do that well, personally.  I could be wrong, but it looks very 'been there done that'.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

strange about China market to me: since like December I noticed many Asian players, even chat looked Chinese time to time.

may be they just bought digital copy? or you mean no GW2 on Chinese?

about x-pack: I guess as like 30% of guys who bought GW2 still like it or even play it, next x-pack will not be very popular / profitable.

at least I'll never buy anything like that anymore.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I've been wondering lately how many new classes there will be in the first xpac.  There's three of everything except heavy armor classes so far, but didn't each GW1 xpac introduce more than one new class?
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

This is really wierd. How are they going to make money if they don't sell expansions. I personally would like to see a new expansion once every year :) GW1 received tons of content in a very short period of time. IT will be really sad if GW2 doesn't :( 

They can release an expansion once every year but without raising the level cap and making all other content absolute. A new expansion can include tons of new zones, new classes, new forms of progression at max level, new features such as housing/guild halls, PvP game modes - e.g. GvG, HA, Capture the Flag etc.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Haven't they been repeating this since like back in November when people were first speculating about an expansion this old news.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Game companies lie all the time, so don't believe everything that you hear.
  • jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

I hate to say this, but I have gotten quite bored with the game recently.  The sad part is that I absolutely had tons of fun for the first few months of playing GW2.  I love the exploration part of the game, the jumping puzzles, the event quests.  But after doing all the events, discovering 99% of the land and accomplishing all of the jumping puzzles, I find myself bored with the game. I am not the type of gamer that likes to create a brand new character, only to do the exact same content.  That is why i hope that Anet continues to pump out more and more content. 

But to hear that they are not planning any new expansions is a real disappointment to me. I would be more than happy to pay what ever they want to charge me to be able to explore new content, get some new dynamic events, and tackle some new jumping puzzles.  The WvWvW bores me.  It seems like the same old crap every day. Battlegrounds are even more stupid imo. And GW2 dungeons just dont do it for me.  Fractals are a repetitive grind. 

I really hope that ANet gets cracking on some new lands to play in soon. I want a reason to keep spending my hard earned money in their gem store. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Ingvar

Expansions are definitely something that we’ll potentially look at in the future," he explained. "We don’t have a timetable on it. We’re open to it, but I think our major focus as a studio is making the living world concept as strong as possibly can for the players that we’ve got.

They are adding to the dynamic events and making going back to maps you have done before worth doing again. They have talked about adding meta events, kinda like a dynamic event that takes a zone working together to trigger a zone wide event so big it will take mass of players to finish. Lets see if they can get this to be something players want to do.

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723
    It's pretty obvious the exansion is already being made they probably stated this because probably won't make 2013, though it'll probably make 2014
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    They want the hype do be completely gone, so when they release an expansion, and it only sells 300-500k, people won t be freaking out. It sucks, but my guild was never on at all, even after guild missions we re added, so I ve literally stopped playing. Hated the game at first, took a more casual approach to it, ended up liking it, but now I m finding it to be a task to even log in.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I've been wondering lately how many new classes there will be in the first xpac.  There's three of everything except heavy armor classes so far, but didn't each GW1 xpac introduce more than one new class?

I do not think they will add any more professions. They said that was a big mistake in GW and made it hard to balance professions in PvE/PvP, although they had dual professions in that game.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'd have guessed an expansion was already halfway through production.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Eir_S

I do not think they will add any more professions. They said that was a big mistake in GW and made it hard to balance professions in PvE/PvP, although they had dual professions in that game.

Think we will see new weapons before new classes. Rounding out whats there first.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    they keep adding content lol!what are you complaining about!they supply a story line then they supply an expension (with a new story line,that will get update!they always worked this way even in gw1 lol!
  • aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94

Well ... Yeah. GuildWars 2 is not GuildWars. Its a fact. In every corner they mention this "Living World/Story" shit ... You can't hear that anymore. Even the personal story didn't feel that good as the story in GuildWars: Prophecies + add-ons.

They try to urge that ... feeling of a living world or that "storytelling" ... To be honest: This is just b*llshit. I don't want to hear something irrelevant about some escaping Norns from the west, I want to be able to forge a community with its own story.

As a player I don't need to hear something about "this is your personal story" and so on. To be honest: GuildWars story was directed by "primary quests" - But the story just felt epic. DUDE YOU FOUGHT AGAINST RURIK HIMSELF! ...

In comparison to GuildWars 2 you don't even fight against your mentor in the end!
    Instead you just hear a damn story about that poor and shy sylvari ... Even "exploration mode" in dungeons isn't true exploration. You still can't avoid that story-term without spamming ESC during cutscenes.

Its less about "sandbox" or "themepark"-stuff ... But even GuildWars had some dungeons like Furnace of Sorrow where you were not leaded by a story.

Originally posted by drbaltazar
    they keep adding content lol!what are you complaining about!they supply a story line then they supply an expension (with a new story line,that will get update!they always worked this way even in gw1 lol!

No, they didn't. There was "new content" as some quests and annual events like Helloween Even. And this GuildWars 2-pre-release event ... And so on. But you would never expect content of "GuildWars: Nightfall" as a free content-patch. Nor you would "Eye of the North".

Storylines in GuildWars were mainly supported by new expansions. They just started during GuildWars 2-pre-release along with that new kind of event.

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Ya, who cares for expansions you have to pay for when they keep giving content for free lol

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    there is a huge amount of players still playing world vs world in guild wars 2 , they do not need some major expansion to keep player retention with this crowd . If they continue to commit to fixing the world vs world maps and add in the new realm rank abilities experience and passives they will create a competitive environment where people do not want to leave and be left behind by their guilds etc. This should of been in at release or shortly after but culling took over their priorites for good reason. I want to try out TESO to but if the maps get fixed and they lead to more 6 vs 6 10 vs 10 skirmish style pvp than myself and a lot of people I know will not go anywhere because the combat is fast paced and fun. If you add in a long term realm rank system like DAOC did and keep adding to it , I can see people playing wvw for years to come without the need of new expansions. There is a large portion of GW2 playerbase that is diehard wvw players and could care less about pve just keep in mind.
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Well, if they continue to bust out content I would be just as happy. Don't really see a "sad" part. As a business move it seems silly though.

Neverwinter I don't believe will cause a big dent on any game and TESO will probably be short lived.

Using the term "continue to bust out content" implies that have been continusly busting out content sincle launch...which...they have not been, thus, this is sad news.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    i aint gona hold your hand to show you the new content,arenanet already gave too many hint outside and inside the game,norn and charr!