Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On a scale of WOW to EVE how serious do we want it?

2»

Comments

• uidCausticuidCaustic acworth, GAPosts: 128Member
    So as long as it's not as boring as either, it will be a win in my book.
  • LawtoweenLawtoween Houston, TXPosts: 103Member

Looting of resources (crafting raw materials, perhaps an RvR specific resource?) collected in the RvR zone should be a death penalty, but only a percentage.  Decay/damage of equipment being worn as well, but never total loss of any equipment being carried.  UO was intense because of this, but it eventually became a game breaker for me.

Time lost to running back to the action is a penalty in my book, as well as having to rebuff and reapply potions.  Although the latter two are minor. 

Keep in mind that in a PvP based game, death will be common, not just once per play session, but probably dozens of times per play session (depending on length of session, skill, and avoidance of combat).

• TimothyEisenzimmerTimothyEisenzimmer Columnist Posts: 2,329Member Uncommon

I think I would like it to be a little DF with some action from GW2, the resource and crafted economy of EVE, the cosmetics and housing of SWG, and some DAOC mixed in for good measure.

• ArnfiarnunnArnfiarnunn eragnyPosts: 61Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

As serious as daoc was. No more no less.

consequences when you die: 

your deathspam broadcasted in the whole region.

having to rebuff + run back to the action.

your enemies become stronger.

No exp loss on pvp deaths.

No hunger / thirst.

Keep it simple.

Perfect system to me too (and I tried many others...)

• zellmerzellmer Fakesville, WIPosts: 442Member
    Something that isn't a freaking cakewalk to max level just to promote PvP/RvR would be so god damn refreshing with the way games are lately..

The experience of socializing and grouping will mean very little if you only do it with strangers in PvP situations..

• dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,545Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by gigat

I personally feel losing XP on death is an excellent system.  FFXI did it really well.  It truly made those "Oh shit!" moments even more rewarding when you narrowly escaped death.

Then again, FFXI was my first MMORPG, so I tend to favor these kinds of mechanics.

Problem with exp. loss in PvP games is that sometimes you cannot escape death no matter what you do due to ganking. So in that light I think exp loss is for PvE games only because its always the players who is in control when doing PvE, not so when doing PvP.

However death need to have some meaning, even in PvP, and one way to do that is to give you downtime, temporary stat loss, equipment damage etc.

I'd take XP loss over downtime any day of the week.  Equipment damage is only meaningful if it can't be fully repaired (don't know if that applies here).

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,545Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

I think I would like it to be a little DF with some action from GW2, the resource and crafted economy of EVE, the cosmetics and housing of SWG, and some DAOC mixed in for good measure.

A lot of players say they want the crafted economy of Eve but most of them refuse to accept the parts of the game that make it work (mods and ships being permanently destroyed when you die).

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• TasarocaTasaroca durhamPosts: 16Member
    Originally posted by dave6660

A lot of players say they want the crafted economy of Eve but most of them refuse to accept the parts of the game that make it work (mods and ships being permanently destroyed when you die).

he is right if you want an eve type econamy as in every thing is made by crafters then you need the crafter to always have  customers which means when people max lvl and get there perfect gear  they never/rearly need new gear then that chara is no longer a customer and over time (and the way we game heads play that time will be short) the customer base will dry up  and the econamy bang its gone

you have to be aware of how such things as the penalty for death will effect the econamy  of the game

now i belive a good game with good player base will always find a balance

i think  the main penalty for dieing should be of ecanomic value becouse this will then feed in to the econamy

if you die raiding another land then every thing you had with you in that land stays there  to be looted  as coin or resorces for those that killed you thou if one of your group lives then they should be able to return your body (equipment ) to your realm for berial (getting you it back may be damaged this is basicaly what happens in EVE and there the basic rule is DONT fly what you can not afford to lose and as the vision seems to be  that all gear CU is player crafted why put the crafters out of a job by  unrealisticly allowing the equipment on a dead corpse be teleported to a new body 1000s of miles away

hell id also like to see people lose the long boat they had made to travel to the raid lost  if no one can get back to it to sail it home it will dam well make people think hard and carefuly about what there doing 

in this type of game it would make healers much more importent for rezzes and  more importent that you dont let them die  if your rezzer dies your all stuffed i belive it would bring a much more cooprative  element in to the game

the other thing that has been metioned is what i will call realm consiqueces ie a raid comes to your realm and sacks some keeps villages a mine and some grannerys burns them down to the ground  burns the fields and leaves

there should be consiquences to this happening that effect more than just the players killed  on the raid  that effect  alot more players in the surrounding areas this would encurage rvr defence of your realm

or say caputring a keep and holding it should produce monety rewards for the raiders holding it and losses for those who have lost the area

Tasaroca Troll ( I am not a buff bot damit) Shamy

Midgaurd /Prydwen / EU

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member Common

I didn't say hardcore because that is not my intention. When I say serious I mean things like if we don't eat every few hours we lose stats, and if we don't go to "sleep" when we log off were tired when we log back on, and...WHEN WE DIE WE LOSE XP! (ok kidding on that one, that is simply a /rage quit point and insane for a RVR game)

So how serious (forget what MJ has said I'm talking your personal CU vision here) do you want CU compared to other games that either do not have consequences, or have major consequences. WOW or SWTOR for ex. being the 0 consequences games and EVE or UO for ex. being the everything has consequences game.

slap bang in the middle - just like daoc.

2»