Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More Fun Than EVE?

mastergravymastergravy Member UncommonPosts: 38

Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzOdYzgotk0

So what do you think about this space drivin game, is this one more engaging than what EVE is, seems to be. plus a lot of skill with targeting as well. whats yourt take on it.

Comments

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Not a fair comparison, for Star Conflict. EVE is a behemoth, sandbox MMORPG with huge fleet battles, detailed character customization/progression, and a single-server, non-instanced, massive universe.

Star Conflct is a lobby-based, instance-structured MMOG, with twitch action.

Two very different games with different approaches that just happen to have a sci-fi, spaceship setting. I hope Star Conflict can do 1/8 as well as EVE has and wish the development team the best. But EVE it is not.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Somehow I'm reminded of that EVE video that starts,

"Let the bodies hit the floor, LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR!!!"

Then it's a mining frigate for 10 straight minutes with no sound except the periodic  brrrrrrp  of the mining laser.

(Moral of the story: being more fun than EVE is mostly a matter of having any gameplay whatsoever and not being excessively AFK-intensive.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Axehilt

...being more fun than EVE is mostly a matter of having any gameplay whatsoever and not being excessively AFK-intensive...

You and I play wildly different version of EVE.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Boardwalker

...being more fun than EVE is mostly a matter of having any gameplay whatsoever and not being excessively AFK-intensive...

EVE will give you a safe, boring experience if you play it in a safe, boring way. It's a good life lesson really - if you want to have an awesome time or for people to think you're awesome, you need to make it happen.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Malcanis

EVE will give you a safe, boring experience if you play it in a safe, boring way. It's a good life lesson really - if you want to have an awesome time or for people to think you're awesome, you need to make it happen.

No, Axehilt is pretty much spot on. You can multibox in fleets fairly efficiently and most of the time you're doing something mundane, or just plain waiting for something to happen.

The combat is fairly passive and slow when compared to most PvP games out there.

Don't give us the "make it happen" bullshit. I've made it happen, and it is barely worth it.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• S4ndurS4ndur Member UncommonPosts: 19

Was hoping it to be the new age Freelacer since it has the same controls but its far from it. Match making PVP with shitty game modes. There's no freedom at all.

EVE's still the one for the moment.

Catch you on the planetside!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

This is the spaceship version of world of tanks basically.. so not an MMO..

Nothing to really compare to EVE.. as eve is a MMORPG.

its not a bad game tho qutie fun to have a few games on.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Quirhid

No, Axehilt is pretty much spot on. You can multibox in fleets fairly efficiently and most of the time you're doing something mundane, or just plain waiting for something to happen.

The combat is fairly passive and slow when compared to most PvP games out there.

Don't give us the "make it happen" bullshit. I've made it happen, and it is barely worth it.

I have also made it happen, and I agree, it's rarely worth it. In fact, depending who you're aligned with, making it happen could lead to you getting in a load of crap. 

I will agree that they are wildly different types of games. You have a Space Combat Sim in Star Conflict. Xwing vs Tie style action-only gameplay. 

EVE is like a Space Life Sim. Basically if you really lived in space, this is what you could imagine your life being like. Suuuuuure, you might have a few times where you're out there shooting up pirates or exploring, but the rest of the time, you're making a sandwich while you're auto-piloting to that system that's 10 jumps away, you're doing some serious market analysis, running trade goods to another system to sell for more ISK than you bought it for, or you're mining while you sleep. 

That said, if you like really deep, complex, economic systems it's awesome. I've played WoW for a long time, and I usually end up spending 50% of my time on the damn auction house. When I play sports games like Madden, I usually end up playing through one season and then I simulate the rest of my dynasty just because I love the team management portion of the "franchise" mode. So if you like that sort of thing, then EVE is definitely for you. 

If you're looking for straight-up Space Combat Sim, maybe Star Conflict is the way to go. Maybe you can play that while you're mining in EVE :)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96

This ^

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Caldrin

This is the spaceship version of world of tanks basically..

Agreed. It's a fun lobby game with progression, much like World of Tanks. It seems like the space games (spaceship-based, specifically)  run a scale with action on one and and diversity of gameplay on the other.

Star Conflict -- ACE Online -- Pirate Galaxy -- Vendetta Online -- Taikodom -- EVE Online

Vendetta Online seems to sit in the middle with both action and diversity in even amounts.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Somehow I'm reminded of that EVE video that starts,

"Let the bodies hit the floor, LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR!!!"

Then it's a mining frigate for 10 straight minutes with no sound except the periodic  brrrrrrp  of the mining laser.

(Moral of the story: being more fun than EVE is mostly a matter of having any gameplay whatsoever and not being excessively AFK-intensive.)

Haha, I forgot about a similar video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMSjd6HNQdY

There is another hilarious/sarcastic one that gets you pumped about exploring different star sytems with rock music playing then shows ships getting destroyed at gate camps and the pilots getting podded.  I can't seem to find it though.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Problem being: you can play other games awesomely too, and they just start with a higher baseline fun value.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

I have also made it happen, and I agree, it's rarely worth it. In fact, depending who you're aligned with, making it happen could lead to you getting in a load of crap. 

I will agree that they are wildly different types of games. You have a Space Combat Sim in Star Conflict. Xwing vs Tie style action-only gameplay. 

EVE is like a Space Life Sim. Basically if you really lived in space, this is what you could imagine your life being like. Suuuuuure, you might have a few times where you're out there shooting up pirates or exploring, but the rest of the time, you're making a sandwich while you're auto-piloting to that system that's 10 jumps away, you're doing some serious market analysis, running trade goods to another system to sell for more ISK than you bought it for, or you're mining while you sleep. 

That said, if you like really deep, complex, economic systems it's awesome. I've played WoW for a long time, and I usually end up spending 50% of my time on the damn auction house. When I play sports games like Madden, I usually end up playing through one season and then I simulate the rest of my dynasty just because I love the team management portion of the "franchise" mode. So if you like that sort of thing, then EVE is definitely for you. 

If you're looking for straight-up Space Combat Sim, maybe Star Conflict is the way to go. Maybe you can play that while you're mining in EVE :)

Please tell me you weren't really flying on auto-pilot?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Why not? If he stays .5 or higher he would be safe. Maybe some suiciders out there but those guys are few and far between

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

I'm not sure you want to bring that up in a discussion about EVE being fun or not (unless you're on the "not" side of the fence.)

Gameplay is good.

Non-gameplay that you can safely AFK through is bad.

Non-gameplay that you are strongly encouraged not to AFK through is terrible.

I'm not sure you want to bring that up in a discussion about EVE being fun or not (unless you're on the "not" side of the fence.)

Gameplay is good.

Missing the point is priceless.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Gameplay is good.

Boom

Gameplay is good.

Its not like pressing your "jump-to" hotkey and clicking a gate whenever no one is in system or bouncing off a celestial or a perch whenever someone is in makes the gameplay vastly more engaging. You can multibox and watch a movie at the same time.

Not the most engaging gameplays ever made.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

You can multibox and watch a movie and  lose your ship at the same time

Fixed.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

Gameplay is good.

Its not like pressing your "jump-to" hotkey and clicking a gate whenever no one is in system or bouncing off a celestial or a perch whenever someone is in makes the gameplay vastly more engaging. You can multibox and watch a movie at the same time.

Not the most engaging gameplays ever made.

Not more engaging but it does save a lot of time.  Auto pilot warps to gates at 15km then you have to slow boat to within 2500m.  Manual piloting you can warp to 0 and jump immediately.

Not to mention you'll probably lose your ship if you auto-pilot in low or null sec.  Even in high sec it's risky if you're carrying expensive cargo or you're at war.

-- Herman Melville

Originally posted by Krematory

Fixed.

Well if you can't do it without losing ships, you should stick to just one client on just one screen. I would be bored to tears if I was stuck with only one and couldn't do something else on the side.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

Fixed.

Well if you can't do it without losing ships, you should stick to just one client on just one screen. I would be bored to tears if I was stuck with only one and couldn't do something else on the side.

I guess you're playing the wrong game. That or you should just stop mining.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

I guess you're playing the wrong game. That or you should just stop mining.

Yeah, I have these special mining lazors which transform your ship into a pod then transport you to a far away station. Give me a break: nobody said anything about mining.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by mastergravy

Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzOdYzgotk0

So what do you think about this space drivin game, is this one more engaging than what EVE is, seems to be. plus a lot of skill with targeting as well. whats yourt take on it.

In my opinion Eve is a world of its own..Cant compare any game to it...However i do have my eyes on StarCraft 2 in which looks way better than Star Conflict..

Mod edit spelling

I retired retroactively..Haha

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Caldrin

This is the spaceship version of world of tanks basically..

Agreed. It's a fun lobby game with progression, much like World of Tanks. It seems like the space games (spaceship-based, specifically)  run a scale with action on one and and diversity of gameplay on the other.

Star Conflict -- ACE Online -- Pirate Galaxy -- Vendetta Online -- Taikodom -- EVE Online

Vendetta Online seems to sit in the middle with both action and diversity in even amounts.

Sounds good. May be i will try it out.

Personally i like captial space ship combat more (like that in STO, not like that in Eve). But i will try a space fighter game too.