Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laughable DRM Sim City 5

JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUl_Cj2_KWU

I have not bought it, but I find a 30 min line to play a single player game hilariously terrible. 

Comments

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

Can't say I'm very much suprised. Don't very much care as Maxis lost me as a customer back when they released the ridiculously content gutted, yet mysteriously still full priced The Sims 3.

However I do have to ask how this kind of so called protection saves these companies any money. Sure they will probably stop people from pirating their game, but what about the added development cost of extra personnel to create and maintain the servers, which will have to continue to be maintained the entire lifespan of the game, and the inevitable flood of angry support tickets and calls the support staff have to handle when things like the server queues happen.

In my personal experience people who pirate affordable items such as games and music never intended to become a customer in the first place so these DRM measures do not effect them. Sadly however actual customers who feel they are being asked to jump through pointless hoops to play a game they've already payed for have a high potential to become ex-customers.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

I have not bought it, but I find a 30 min line to play a single player game hilariously terrible. 

I'm curious about how many of the people that rail against EA and like the Sim City series still went and bought this game.

I'm a big fan of the series and I have played almost every Sim City that came out, but this Origin crap was the last straw for me with that company.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I'm curious about how many of the people that rail against EA and like the Sim City series still went and bought this game.

I'm a big fan of the series and I have played almost every Sim City that came out, but this Origin crap was the last straw for me with that company.

I'd be willing to bet quite a few.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

You do realize this is from the beta right? You know, where they'd be testing this kind of thing to see what needs to be done in order to make sure this doesn't happen at release.

I'm not saying I agree with what they're doing, but Sim City does have some online aspects to it so it's not like it's just put there for no reason. I think there should be an offline mode for sure, but this is no different than what Diablo III did - again I don't agree with it but it's just the way gaming is going. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

supposedly theres a workaround to the online DRM

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/04/simcity-review-in-progress?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ign%2Farticles+%28IGN+All+Articles%29

I'm going to go ahead and predict that, much like Blizzard found with Diablo 3, Maxis will soon discover that the majority of SimCity players will want to play by themselves most of the time. The good news is that it's a totally valid way to play, and no significant options I've seen are closed off to those of us who play in private regions and single-handedly run all the cities therein. Progress is a little slower because you have to switch between cities, but it's definitely doable. It's very much like playing The Sims 2, which allows you to control multiple households, but in order to switch between them you have to go through a loading screen.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by kartool

I don't agree with it but it's just the way gaming is going. 

It's only going that way because gamers allow it to.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

People that buy the game wait in line.

People that do not buy the game get in instantly.

DRMs are an amazing thing.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Huge fan of the first two Sim City games, haven't been a fan of EA since they went all psycho on Westwood and Origin systems.  Thought their lowest point was taking the Origin name and slapping it on a bastard half breed sibling of Steam (yes steam sucked in the day and still sucks to some extent).  This, however, is downright criminal and why no one should give these bottom feeders one red cent.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I used to love SimCity of old, but NO WAY. A single player game, where I have to be online connected all the time? Why not have the EA CEO watch me with a webcam all the time, to be sure it's REALLY me who is playing?

Patheic. If I buy a game it's mine, end of story. I can accept a one time online registration as compromise, but all the time online on some goddamn servers is going too far. Sorry, but no. So every time their servers are down I can't play? Absurd. No and no!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

i don't know about this new sim city..

didn't bought it because im scared that the linair gameplay will get boring fast..

They took away the best of the simcity series which was the endless building in a huge zone..( well almost endless)

this new simcity has a small zone.. but you can build more cities and so forth i know. and let them work together..

Gameplay is pretty linair.. sort of storyline gameplay.. if your finnaly build up your zone.. you can either watch your city grow and upgrade it instead of expanding it..

I cant even call it simcity anymore..

Seems to me they focused alot more grafhics and simulation..

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

I would have bought it if it wasn't for the always online DRM and Origin requirement, I bought the other ones except the first.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

You can trust me on this:

The game is worth any DRM shenanigans it throws at you.

That said, this was to be expected.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Yeah they also had this issue. http://kotaku.com/simcity/

Oh and on Metacritic that user score is 2.9 right now. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/simcity

I did not buy it and EA can die.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Buy games on gog.com they have drm free games.

I hope CDproject stick to there DRM free pc games as they did with Witcher 2, becouse i realy wanne play Witcher 3 if its DRM free.

DRM is not worsed soon all cloud.

Soon its all CLOUD and we pay but they control our lifes if its broke or hacked your screwed not they.

Happely have alot drm free games collected over past 3 years and have my superb desktops in good condition to last me another decade xp desktop and 2 win7 desktops highend for now.

Have at least 100 boxed games at home around 80 of them drm free:)

• MirathelMirathel Member UncommonPosts: 137

bought the game

love the game

haters are always gonna hate

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Think i'll pass on this one, i've got several of the previous versions of the game, but im not really interested in a single player game that needs to be online all the time, chances are its got a cash shop too. It did look like a good version but theres too many negative factors now to encourage me to buy it.image
    Originally posted by Mirathel

bought the game

love the game

And those with no ability to argue their opinion intelligently will resort to dumbass platitudes.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

bought the gamelove the game  haters are always gonna hate

I don't think whether or not you like the game is in question here.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

bought the game

love the game

Yet it is proudly shared in pretty much every reply to the topic. Oh well :P.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Buy games on gog.com they have drm free games.

I hope CDproject stick to there DRM free pc games as they did with Witcher 2, becouse i realy wanne play Witcher 3 if its DRM free.

DRM is not worsed soon all cloud.

Fun fact: The Witcher 2 had both a Steam-protected version and a GOG version without any protection. In an interview a CDPR dev said the Steam version was put on a Torrent first.

EA can continue their little schemes as they see fit, but I'm not buying anything with this kind of DRM. Besides, I've got a backlog of many excellent games already.

Too bad both Ubi and EA are this pathetic nowadays. Luckily, we still have Square Enix and their Eidos division, but they're not as big.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132
    i did not check and preordered the game

I have only myself to blame hate the drm crap.1
    2  When i saw on th website it said launching 5th of March only yesterday i realised it was for US only

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by BizkitNL
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

bought the game

love the game

Yet it is proudly shared in pretty much every reply to the topic. Oh well :P.

Took the worlds right out of my mouth. The ones voiced they didn't like it got their chance without questioning...

• Species5021Species5021 Member Posts: 44

DRM is not a great system at all but they have to use it to make sure the game does not get pirated by 90% of the community which whatever anyone says always happens these days.

I have to say that the price tag is pretty high and i won't buy it right now because of the super ridiculous VAT system where 60 dollars mysteriously turns into 60 euro's. Goddamn laughable is what is is.

But the price is basically the only thing holding me back.

The morning it came out i had a day off and watched someone on gamestreams wait for it to come online and then started playing it.

It's great, he played for around 8 hours or so and i was watching it on my second screen the entire time. The game is really smooth, is incredibly detailed and its a LOT of fun to watch not to mention play. The guy playing it was a massive Simcity fan and he was enjoying himself immensely. When i stopped watching because of dinner he had almost 8000 people watching him play.

The single player is cool but it shines in multiplayer, private regions with your friends founding citys on the plots next to you. You being the ore driven industrial and him being a university town that educates all your workers. Buying power and water from eachother etc etc. 

So before you crash and burn the game, hop over to gamestreams or twitchtv and watch someone play the game for a while.

Amazing. Honestly, the previews do not do the game justice.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

I sure as hell didn't.  I'll admit that I wanted to, but when I swore off EA games, that meant anything with the EA tag on it period.  I'm only one person, but things change because of lots of "one person"s.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by nilden

Yeah they also had this issue. http://kotaku.com/simcity/

Oh and on Metacritic that user score is 2.9 right now. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/simcity

I did not buy it and EA can die.

I'm not saying your reasons for not buying EA products isn't a valid one but quoting metacritic is laughable at best and downright pathetic at worst. You have people voting who never have and never will play it. I'd much rather somebody gave an opinion based on .. you know.. actually having played the game?