Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it too late to start playing WoW?

2»

Comments

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Zethapeta
    When you talk about world PvP, do you mean PvP servers, or any kind of PvP in PvE servers?

For world PvP you have to be on a PvP server. You can do BG's etc on any server.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Nitth

I was thinking of buying the lastest expansions of Warcraft, I played the game till lvl 45 when it was released some years ago.

But before downloading the 40GB, I would like to hear your opinions about some points

- What can you do in the game, besides doing quests (specially at max level)?

- How long does it take to level to 90 a character?

- I played in a PvP server, and fighting against the ocasional player that you could find was something I rember gratefully, however, I have read some complains in PvP realms beacuse of cross servers.

Thank you for your opinions!

Same things you would do in vanila, Quest, Raid, Pvp.

Not very long at all, a matter of days, Hours even if your so inclined.

World pvp is practically dead.

MoP is one of the best expansions in a while; it's a lot more difficult in terms of getting items and the raids themselves than beginning and end wrath content and absolutely blows Cataclysm out of the water in just about every detail.

How long it will take you to level depends on a variety of factors, such as the level of your guild, if you have heirlooms (you probably don't so this doesn't apply) and how you choose to level (be it PvP, Dungeons, Questions, etc.).

World PvP is definitely NOT dead.  In fact, there has been more PvP in the world than Wrath and Cata combined; they specifically designed many places to be PvP friendly, especially with the new 5.1 content which practically endorses it in everyway if you're on a PvP server (and lots of incentive to flag if you're not).  The world bosses also now have new mechanics that allow your factions to team up without joining a raid just in case the opposing side tries to hit you when you're attacking them.

The worst thing about this expansion is that it is very hard to get epics (not as hard as Vanilla or TBC) and it is very punishing to alts.  In addition, there are thousands of daily quests that are pretty much required if you want to get epic gear; you are unable to get epic items if you aren't both exalted with all the factions and have the valor to spend when they let you buy their gear.

There is the Looking for Raid thing at the end, but you'll probably just cry in a corner at how many times people wipe in those.  It isn't a matter of individual skill there as many who enter are in full Heroic raiding gear, but the pug system just wipes people repeatedly as they don't know the mechanics.

I'd have to say the biggest strength of MoP is how beautiful the landscapes look, the music sounds and the varied quests and overarching storyline of Pandaria.  It truly is a treat to behold multiple times and on both factions.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

If your are hard core player, love long route to lvl up and need to hit full content with group, it's too late.

If you are casual player, like modern game with large content, enjoy dungeons and fast lvling, like to have easy and fun party and may be some challenges at raids = this game is made for you!

So far I can't find any better game in matter of fun, content, and (very important, IMO) support!
    Graphic is cartoonish so you may like it or not, and I can give you a list of game with much nice char look, but at WoW you have like endless char customization.

World is huge and pretty, game is polished, quests were revamped and very fun and short now (nothing to do with endless grind).

You always have something to do in game as it not only dungeon, raids, exploration and quests but also large crafting choice.

Housing may be missing here but you'll not see much need as you are busy to do different stuff in game.

I would not roll healer or tank as first char, but start with DPS. I liked my mage, warlock and shaman, they gave me lot of fun and was not to bad to make solo progress.

Many people hate, but I loved DK class and DK starting quests, so may be try it too after any other char got lvl 55.

Best of luck and have fun!

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• ghostfaeriesghostfaeries Member UncommonPosts: 89

- What can you do in the game, besides doing quests (specially at max level)? daily quests, raiding, LFR, scenarios, battlegrounds, rated battlegrounds, arenas, wargames, farm, professions, fishing, cooking, archaeology, run old raids for transmog/pets, earn achievements.

- How long does it take to level to 90 a character? however long you typically put in to th game questing or doing dungeons. for me, a week. for my friends, less than a week.

- I played in a PvP server, and fighting against the ocasional player that you could find was something I rember gratefully, however, I have read some complains in PvP realms beacuse of cross servers. people complain about the dumbest things in wow forums... on a pvp server it's no different, cross realm or not. you will get ganked, and it can be from someone on a different server 10 levels higher than you. cross realm is also an issue for most people that farm often. choose your server wisely. image

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Not at all. Game is better and more indepth, then ever. And you wont have to deal with many annoying things we had during vanilla. 

Things to do are too numerous to list. WoW is among the most features heavy MMOs atm

U are joking right ? :D Funny guy

''better and more indepth'' than in vanila tbc?

Hmm thats really weird .. why all my friends that played from release, serious wow players left wow because it is becoming more simple and casual friendly with ever single patch or datadisc ...

For  casual player or player that love simple mmorpgs. WoW is the best mmorpg out there .)

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

Not at all. Game is better and more indepth, then ever. And you wont have to deal with many annoying things we had during vanilla. 

Things to do are too numerous to list. WoW is among the most features heavy MMOs atm

Hmm thats really weird .. why all my friends that played from release, serious wow players left wow because it is becoming more simple and casual friendly with ever single patch or datadisc ...

For  casual player or player that love simple mmorpgs. WoW is the best mmorpg out there .)

I played through all of vanilla, TBC, WOTLK and no, the game has not become any more simple throughout the expansions. If anything the raid mechanics now are more elaborate than what we had in vanilla. Vanilla wasn't any more "complicated" than later expansions. 

Better is a very subjective thing so I cant comment on that.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I first played WoW 10 years ago, and now I've returned using my old character.

I think the OP has started to play WoW at the right time. In my opinion, the best feature is now the 'bet battle' system. This is only months old, and growing.

True - a big fault of the modern WoW is the absence of world PvP (even on a RP PvP server). However, in my opinion, this is actually an advantage for pet battles because you can concentrate on having fun with this without hassle.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

you sure are late for the party as the cool DJ's already went home ;p

but it's certainly never too late, just give it a try

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I think the OP has started to play WoW at the right time. In my opinion, the best feature is now the 'bet battle' system. This is only months old, and growing.

True - a big fault of the modern WoW is the absence of world PvP (even on a RP PvP server). However, in my opinion, this is actually an advantage for pet battles because you can concentrate on having fun with this without hassle.

WoW was not released 10 years ago? :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

WoW was not released 10 years ago? :D

I'm rounding up to the nearest 10 years!

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Nitth

I was thinking of buying the lastest expansions of Warcraft, I played the game till lvl 45 when it was released some years ago.

But before downloading the 40GB, I would like to hear your opinions about some points

- What can you do in the game, besides doing quests (specially at max level)?

- How long does it take to level to 90 a character?

- I played in a PvP server, and fighting against the ocasional player that you could find was something I rember gratefully, however, I have read some complains in PvP realms beacuse of cross servers.

Thank you for your opinions!

Same things you would do in vanila, Quest, Raid, Pvp.

Not very long at all, a matter of days, Hours even if your so inclined.

World pvp is practically dead.

Now I have not played the game in some months but when I was and I started a new lvl 1 there was plenty of World PvP (reminded me of vanilla) going on thanks to the new Cross relam zone stuff, got to about level 30 but decided not to carry on and jumped onto my main to level through the new content.  

Also it will take you much longer than a few days to level to cap as you're essentialy a new player and you'll go off exploring old players just got from A to B cus they'v seen it all.  I'll estimate if you do a mix of activities and not just focus on leveling you'll cap out in a 100 hours or so.  

Put it this way it took me just over a month (probably 50 hours in-game or so) to level the 5 levels of the expansion but I was doing a little bit of everything, not just barreling ahead leveling ASAP which so many jaded players do and then wonder were the content was.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

Maybe you should check for yourself rather then letting your friends tell you how it is? Just a thought.

WoW is as casual or as hardcore as you decide to make it thats why it's still so popular.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Ill tell you what I told my friend who has barely touched wow. Its a GREAT experience if youve never really gotten far into it. IMO all mmo players should atleast play WoW to cap atleast once. Wow has a lot to offer if you're a casual player. Join a casual guild who runs a couple dungeon groups and maybe one raid a week and you will have a blast. Dunno about PVP since I play on a pve server and almost exclusively pve. 

I say give it a shot, IMO cata sucked but MOP is a step in the right direction for WoW.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

I went back to WoW last week after not playing for like 2 years. I decided to start a new character on a new server and I am having a blast again. Starting areas might get a bit boring with the lack of skills, but once you get to the higher levels the gameplay becomes a lot of fun. It's probably a good time to start now, I decided to create a character on Aggramar and apparetly there are a lot of new players coming to the game (not alts).

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Although a lot of us think that WOW was better way back when, it has never been more new-player friendly than it is now. Leveling, resource gathering (which gives you xp now) are all very easy and the classes are all on the overpowered side... this changes a bit when you first get to Pandaria at 85 but it quickly becomes easy again once you gear-up a bit.

There are also a lot of level 25 (max level) guilds anxious to add you to their ranks since it will automatically help them with extra gold (in addition to your normal loot, the guild gets an extra amount) and unlocking bank tabs, etc. Your benefits will be mass resurrection (all party members after a wipe), faster travel, faster xp gain, and many more things including some level 1-85 bind to account auto-leveling gear.

From a new player perspective, this is probably the best time ever to start WOW.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    WoW for all its faults (which are legion) is still a good game up to cap (currently 90). I started in late beta. I currently have two 90's (warrior and rogue) and seven 85's.  I'm currently on vacation, and playing other games, but with all of the content, you aren't going to run out of things to do for awhile.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

WoW is the best theme park on the market. It is never too late to start playing as many older players have alts even and they take time to set up.

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Waaaaay to late. Start looking for something newer, sign up for new betas etc and look elsewhere.  There are better F2P MMOs around now and more to come in the near future as well.

WOW went sharply downhill mid way through the 2nd expansion, after it's best developers quit.  It's been dumbed down so much it's not the same game it was.  They also lost a LOT of players just before the kung-fu panda addon, because most of the players were older than 12 and it looked rubbish.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    No it's not too late. I just started last week and having a blast. World PVP is anything but dead. Plenty going on even in the low level areas. It just depends which server you're on (like all MMO's). Questing so far is way better than I've experienced in newer games. 
  • crowley401crowley401 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by NasherUK

Waaaaay to late. Start looking for something newer, sign up for new betas etc and look elsewhere.  There are better F2P MMOs around now and more to come in the near future as well.

WOW went sharply downhill mid way through the 2nd expansion, after it's best developers quit.  It's been dumbed down so much it's not the same game it was.  They also lost a LOT of players just before the kung-fu panda addon, because most of the players were older than 12 and it looked rubbish.

Ugh narrow mindet people xD

i would say its stil good to start. Lvld a mage in 2 days played from 1 to lvl 90 as mine New main and got geard pretty fast.

lots of things to do and with 5.2 now i'm having a blast on the lvl 90 isle of thunder and if you do start playing and from the EU let me know in a Private message would be happy to assist you on azeroth.