Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Diffrent way of thinking about an mmo, have no levels

13»

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Sengi

@ icewhite, squeak69

The problem with the role-playing is also that the games do nothing to support it...any more

Sure, easier and cheaper to slap an "RP" tag on a PVE server, then proceed to ignore everything that happens on it.

Just part of the Wonder of Minimal Customer Experience Cost that is a modern MMO theory.

Or like GW2, don't even label servers as RP, because why split the community, right?

• bnxbanditbnxbandit Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by bnxbandit

Originally posted by Yizle

Sounds like a pretty horrid game idea. At least for an mmorpg. All chars are the same?

Where is the point?

The point is to having fun playing the game yourself or with others. Believe me it can be an MMORPG. The characters can't be all the same but there is a chance one can copy another(newbies copying pro players). If you read my post about my thoughts I said:

Character/s would assume different roles based on what kinda of skills, weapons, armor, passives, enhancements, etc. Skills don't have levels and you can swap out sets therefore changing your role.

It would be an MMO, not an MMORPG. It would most likely be rejected by the same crowd you pitched it to. ;)

Well most likely yes but we'll never know if we don't try. Also it has RPG in it. It's a game that lets you role play so yeah MMORPG.

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    Actually, there arent' really levels in current games, those are mostly only numbers to incentivize the player base to continue onward. Because, as you level the mobs level and the zones level, so it is all relative .  And as we all know, if two cars are travelling side by side at the same speed, then when compared to one another, they are still.  That's the way it's always been. Sure, there are minor exceptions but in the overall grand scheme of things, we don't level compared to the content. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Dzone

Basically thinking of an MMO like real life. Everyone is generally as strong as each other, but when thers a gang of peaple the'll be much stronger. A diffrent way to think about MMO's.

Wonder how this way of thinking for an MMO design would pan out. Your thoughts?

MMO is not real life. It is a genre of entertainment products. The focus should be fun. Fun, of course, is subjective.

Previous MMOs are more group oriented, and the market has shifted to more solo-able games because of the demand. Personally, i don't really want my fun to rely on others all the time.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    The introduction of explicit levels was one of the more disliked changes in SWG during SOE's tenure of mismanagement. Prior to that, if you could kill something, great. Damage and defense were not tied to "what level you were" at the beginning, they were wholly skill and equipment based: you hit for what you hit for. Later on, after the unwanted changes, levels were EVERYTHING: the difference of just a couple levels was the difference between an even fight and a walkover. So, among the terrible structural changes done to SWG over the years, the explicit addition of levels, and making everything tied to those levels was a very large step back in terms of gameplay.
  • Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I think OP want something like GW1 but w/o lvl at all.
    I guess lvl 20 was not hard to get and gave us time to get familiar with game and skills.

If no lvl at all and such group will go to dungeon, IMO, it will be a mess, as some guys in a group will be 100% newbs, lost in action, when others will get mad about and kick / leave / disband.

It what happens usually with non-balanced groups.

So I guess few lvl would be nice to have, main-time you can still run dungeons all long (how I love to develop my character to avoid quest grind).

this way you can have training for future harder challenges.

to be honest, I think quest lvling + very long one, kills grouping and, may be, whole meaning of MMO.
    so why not make only dungeon (dungeon-like) progression with auto-grouping (finder) or some quests but very short and fun, f.e. for crafting or to unlock anything.

or make group quests like separate story line, non repeatable and challenging, something like original quests on-line or like runescape quests.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2