Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes: Why It's Closing

2»

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Ex0dUs101
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Torkaz
    Glad I didnt throw any money into this game..

game was live for years.. what would it really matter if you threw in money and enjoyed your time playing? does a game need to be available for 30 years to make it worth putting money into?

It entered open Beta less than a year ago, and that they feel the need to say in an interview about the game closing that theyve lowered cash shop prices speaks for itself...

i got mixed up thought this was about the other warhammer online:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    ea games closed down many mmo's, more than any other company that I can think of, earth and beyond being my favorite was canned and there was many others, ea games is more evil than soe

playing eq2 and two worlds

• knapuknapu Member Posts: 131
    I dont get it the guys sayed it himself they needet cash for transition o mobile platform so they picked WoH pick all the cash  they could and cosed it it doesnt matter how much somone likes a game for them its work/income cash its whats all about , for fun there is no place lol ...

I am the punishment of God...
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you
    — Genghis Khan

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    WOH made them no money because the game sucked , was grossly rushed and imbalanced , and favored the cash shop heavily for gold to buy your good toons like conrad and glogob for your teams healers etc. Mythic is still right now with the game closing trying to milk the few people who play it of the last of their cash shop before shutting down. Why it had a cash shop during beta testing is beyond me but thats mythic and EA for you. They could of easily spent that time fixing warhammers issues instead but chose to make that stupid game instead , just like now they could of been fixing war and daoc (which btw has a loyal small fanbase still)  they would rather make stupid android and IOS apps and waste more money on a game that you will read here later on didnt make money either.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Interviewers need to ask more precise questions.  Not, why did you close it, why did it suck, and why didn't you fix it?

You will never see this happening on this site. They have a reason to not ask the tough questions and allow those guys to dodge about every semi-tough question. They constantly get flak for this, but still these interviews have a history on mmorpg.com.

But quite more annoying are those "interviews" in which they give the guys a spotlight for nothing but PR drivel and hype. With like every other answer containing little actual info but only "Oh, we are so excited about....".

Every -supposed to be- interview on this site has been a waste of space since forever. But i have to give to them that this has in general become a bad trend in the industry allover, not only here. Just read the interviews of GW'2's Colin Johanson or follow Anet's Reddit AMAs.

• GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47

Having met James Casey in person @ PAX.  It is truly sad to see the closing of WOH.  He is a great person and truly passionate about his job.  It is a shame he has to work for EA.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

"In part of our shift to Mobile, we obviously will be shifting resources around to work on our current projects, like Ultima Forever, or some of our new projects and prototypes.  Sadly I can't really give you any skinny on those at the moment, but rest assured, we will as soon as we can."

Yep great idea guys. Keep following those trends hoping to get a first class tricket on the next gravy train without really knowing WTF you're doing. How about you hire some people with some actual ideas that can make games that are entertaining on any platform, rather than your current method which is to just fling shit at the latest cash cow and hoping something sticks.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR

"In part of our shift to Mobile, we obviously will be shifting resources around to work on our current projects, like Ultima Forever, or some of our new projects and prototypes.  Sadly I can't really give you any skinny on those at the moment, but rest assured, we will as soon as we can."

Yep great idea guys. Keep following those trends hoping to get a first class tricket on the next gravy train without really knowing WTF you're doing. How about you hire some people with some actual ideas that can make games that are entertaining on any platform, rather than your current method which is to just fling shit at the latest cash cow and hoping something sticks.

yeah this guy got it figured out +1

• inalizinaliz Member UncommonPosts: 45
    What it all boils down to Ted is that the game sucked. I played WAR for about a year, good run. MOBA's since 2001. I played this game for 5 minutes and knew it was gonna fail.
  • CyborWolfTKCyborWolfTK Member Posts: 77

E.A. is going where the money is. your little sister, girl friend, and mom are easier targets to extract from,and are far less demanding.

I stick to my previous assertions, E.A. is for all intent, and purposes the Anti-Christ of the gameing world.

King Kong anit got nothin on E.A.

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

It is a sad day for me. Today is officially the day that i have to say that EA is officially worse then Activision. For all my hatred towards Boby Koytic.......EA managed to be worse. I gained a little respect for EA when i read the story about how Double Fine was screwed by Activision and how EA saved them and the awesome Brutal Legends game....but lately they done their very best to show that Boby Koytic isn't the most greedy person in the game industry anymore.

The real reason this game closes down is because EA doesn't earn enough on the microtransisions. As they stated a little while ago, they gonna put micro transitions in all their games (yup even those you just paid 60 bucks for.....battlefield players be aware, you will have to pay for every ammo clip soon if Real Racing 3 is any pointer to the path EA is gonna walk). This game wasn't even launched yet...yeah yeah open beta, well i didn't get any mail for a long time and i was in the closed beta (and couldn't play cause they only opened the servers for specific hours American time...im from Europe and at those times it was in the middle of the night for me).

Those who blame Mythic, please don't. Its not their fault. EA decides what game they have to make. Either they want too or not. Its just something developers get pushed down their troaths. Same goes for Bioware. Remember how great that studio was before EA took it over and labled every damn studio they had with the Bioware name? How every game suddenly was a Bioware game but not made by the Bioware team we all loved? Same goes for Mythic, they just have to do what EA tells them to do.

Publishers like EA and Acitvision are a curse and will be the death of gaming. Frankly i can't wait for that, so that publishers like Paradox keep standing cause they care for their buyers where the greedy ones will find out that their days are numbered. The course the game industry is heading right now only ensures us it won't last long. Its a bubble that is about to explode. Kickstarter and publishers like Paradox will survive, but the greedy will find their days numbered, real gamers don't take it anymore and the mainstream gamer will get smaller and smaller with all these microtransaction horse poop.

• redcoreredcore Member UncommonPosts: 108

because they are just bunch of MORONS! they f*ed up warhammer online (never made it better even if the game was so promising) and then they decided to CREATE new warhammer game instead of FIXING the old one!...

stupid morons..that's it!!!

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

The world would have been a better place if EA SPORTS had stuck to only making amazing sports games

they changed genres and Ruined alot of peoples faith in them

EA had some amazing old sports games though hahah

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Torkaz
    Glad I didnt throw any money into this game..

game was live for years.. what would it really matter if you threw in money and enjoyed your time playing? does a game need to be available for 30 years to make it worth putting money into?

Yes. A video game isnt a quick snack. you put money down to play it it should be around forever. in 20 or so years if i cant install and play Skyrim or anything else i purchased ill be pissed.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

WAR was bad once they kept patching and ruining each class... except the BW. Wished they would have brought in a decent team to take it over. Also they just need to make it F2P now.

But this monstrosity was horrid. No balance. Poor rotation of free heroes. Way too costly for amount of coins earned per game to buy heroes without using cash.

• SteinarBSteinarB Member UncommonPosts: 54

This is why the big, giant publishers are a blight on gaming.  They have the money the developers need to make their game, and that means they hold the power.

You envisioned your game to be a challenge?  Sorry, the Publisher wants it to be "accessible" even to those who would give up the first time they died on a level.  Make it easy.

You had an original idea for your game?  Sure, go ahead and make it, we'll give you money.  But you have to change everything that made it special because different scares customers.  Make it more like the current bestselling game out there.  And make sure it has an online mode shoehorned in, even if it doesn't suit the game at all.

Take the money. You can't make your game without it.  All you have to give us in return is full control of what you wanted to make so you can watch your dreams as a game designer die under the bootheel of the corporate suit who doesn't play games and doesn't give a damn about games beyond how much money they can make him.

This is part of why the crowdfunding success of Chris Roberts' Star Citizen/Squadron 42 cheers me up so much.  8.3 million dollars just from crowdfunding giving him unparallelled freedom from his investors to make the game he wants rather than what the marketing department of EA or the like tells him to make because that's what their focus groups say will sell the most units. It's not only a signal for the revival of a genre which was dead and not of interest to todays gamers according to the big publishers, but I see it just as much as a big, ol' middle-finger salute by the gaming community to the likes of EA and Activision.  A statement that we will throw our money behind a project we believe in, and you greedy anti-gaming corporate vampires can sit on our collective middle-finger and swivel on it.

Unfortunately it's only a matter of time before EA and Activision both see the potential of crowdfunding and make a play to get their destructive claws in it and twist it to their horrible vision of what the game industry should be.  I wish I didn't believe that, but I'm I guess I'm just an old cynic.