Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prediction: Who will be the underdog?

WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

I’m not saying that this is a bad thing at all, I actually really enjoy playing the under populated realm in RvR for many reasons.

Mostly because you just feel better about yourself and your realm when you capture something, or win in an open field fight. Sometimes the under populated realm will get nice rewards like exp or extra money. Also you can always find a fight (when I played Albion it would take a long time to actually find someone to kill, but when I switched to Hibernia I had the pick of the crop).

So who do you think will be the under populated realm?

My prediction,

Most Populated: Ebonheart. This is a no brainer, the Ebonhart have the two most nostalgic territories in the game which is Skyrim and Morrowind. Lots of elder scroll players might be attracted to this faction in order to explore that places that they have played in other Elder Scrolls games. Also this faction has the Nord race, which on many different polls is the top 2 of the most sought after race.

Medium Population: Aldmeri. I know this will be a popular faction and could very well be the big power house realm. The Aldmeri have 2 of the most popular races according to many polls, the High Elfs and Wood Elfs. Archery has been a really popular mechanic in the Elder Scrolls games and I know Zeni hasn’t said much in the way of racial benefits, but if they do have them we all know Wood Elfs will be the best archers. In ES lore the Aldmeri is also considered the "good guys", which I know always brings in a lot of numbers.

Low Population: That of course leaves the Daggerfall. why?   The Daggerfall holds 2 of the least desired races on the polls, the Bretons and the Orcs. I also hear a lot of people calling the realms lore the "least interesting" compared to the other two.

I of course am torn between Ebon and the Dagger, but if one realm is considered low pop it will probably persuade me to go with that one.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

Comments

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

I'm not sure what poll(s) you saw, but Bretons usually score in the top three with the Nords/Dunmer since Daggerfall was released in 1996. Did you meant Redguards?

As for the under-populated alliance. It's going to be a fight to the bottom between the Aldmeri Dominion and the Daggerfall Covenant. Ebonhart Pack have the two of the most popular race and provinces in the setting.

The Aldmeri Dominion issue is that it have no human race and humans are the most popular race played in MMOs. It advantage is that no games have been set in any of those provinces since Arena gave access to all of Tamriel. Which mean more people might be interested in seeing them.

The Daggerfall Covenant is the most medieval setting, but it have two human races and Orcs. From what I've seen on Tamriel Foundry, it's attracting veterans PvP players a lot more than the other two alliances as well.

AD and EP might end up with large PvE population who want to see these provinces for the first time or go back there once more (Skyrim/Morrowind), but not much interest in PvP. While DC might have a large PvP population with a small PvE one.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Aldmeri is the clear under dog.  What poll are you refering to?   All polls here have had a low number of people complete it...and they are always one factor polls.

EDIT:  Here is the survey.    

Here are the results.   (credit goes to Atranox from reddit)

not only was the aldmeri dominion last for most popular alliance (26%), it was also the alliance to be least likely chosen by all players (48%).

Of course these numbers may change as more people become aware of the game.

EDIT #2:  I am an idiot, I should have just let everyone here just believe the DC were the underdogs.

EDIT #3:  let the skyrim kiddies all choose Nords.  In the end, all will fear the Orsimer.

• vindirvindir Member UncommonPosts: 68

My guess Aldmeri will be low pop. Stupid sniveling High Elves think they are better then everyone else.

I am a Brenton through and through from Morrowwind to Oblivion to Skyrim. Not sure why you think they are less desirable?

Orsimer and Redgaurd backed by Breton will be kickass in pvp. Longlive Daggerfall!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I dunno, but the Ebonheart without a doubt will be the most populated. I know that's what I will play. I like the darker, more sinister, more rugged type races in games, though I also like to have my girl pretty too, but not all dolled up like some silly elf or an ugly orc.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    whichever has the least human-like races/most beast like races, like every other MMO.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

ill play all three factions. I wont play TESO for the PvP, ill play it for the "Online" PvE experience that Skyrim doesnt have, so im not worried about who has the most people for RvR.

EDIT: but my first character will most likely be from the ebonheart to go all out exploration mode and find places i loved from Skyrim. If they arent there then ill quickly switch to aldmeri

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

there's no N in Breton.

I can't find a good guide to the different provinces that aren't already well known from the last 3 games.  Which is why ebonheart will be popular.

I feel like without humans, and just elves and cat people, Aldmeri is just going to be completely lost when it comes to pvp, unless, large guilds purposefully roll there just to be the big shots on the realm and embrace their brocattiness. 

But seriously, nothing but elves and cat people...

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

It looks as though the factions will be imbalanced.

It took my guild 5 minutes to decide on EP.

Non-racial, non-locked factions would potentially had been better for ensuring more balanced sides perhaps...

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Now that elves will have more than 4 polygons per head, I may just play one.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    elves by far... the high elves were turds in Skyrim, think that ruined it for some poeple.

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

I honestly think barring some strange coincidence on one server, it will be pretty well balanced.

No matter how I've felt about elves in games, people love them. Especially when people want to RP and stuff.

Combine that with that furry feline race for the one faction, and the viking/serpent type races for the other, and I think those two will be the powerhouse realms.

However, don't underestimate peoples desire to play human. As boring as I find human characters in mmo's, a TON of people play them. I remember that from WOW originally. Plus people love brutish orcs in every game.

So if I had to pick one, I'd say the daggerfall human/orc one would be underdog, but I don't think by much.

However, I think every server will be different. I remember from DAOC some servers were Albion dominated, others midgard, and others hibernia. Plus over time it shifts from one to another.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

In most fantasy worlds I tend to dislike High Elves or Gold Elves or whatever precious graceful magical elitist elves, but I just love wood elves. This also goes for The Elder Scrolls. So I would love to roll Bosmer but the thought of being allied with Altmer makes me cringe.

If only we had a way to kick them from the alliance, I'm more than OK to be allied with Khajiit. And any other race, really.

I do think the Aldmeri Dominion will be the underdogs. I can honestly see both of the other two ending up most popular.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    No question, the Aldmeri. Every MMO where there is the option of evil dark chars and light, good and just faction. Not saying what side is evil, but most people pick the darker looking factions first. Almost always happens.
  • I'm thinking Daggerfall or Ebonheart will be the most popular, with Aldmeri the least. But I may change my opinion when I see which classes each faction offers.

Particularly if the elves look as ugly as in Skyrim/Oblivion I think they'll be very unpopular.

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

Is the ELF hate an elder scrolls fan thing? because I've played many MMO's since DAOC in 2000, and in every single one with ELVES, a TON of people played them lol. FOr some reason I see a ton of people in here saying they'll be underplayed though, which makes me scratch my head because it's contrary to what I've always seen. 

Just curious if it's a Elder Scrolls fan difference from an mmo player. Maybe the two types of players will balance eachother out? :P

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by Tuktz

Is the ELF hate an elder scrolls fan thing?

Its a Skyrim thing. The new Aldmeri Dominion there is shown as the evil faction and not as a cool evil faction but as something players of the game should realy hate. This transfers to TESO factions although the Skyrim Dominion isn't the same as the TESO one. On the other hand a minor version this hate is part of RPG's since they exist. Elves always have been the arrogant older race and i do know a lot non-elve players that have a certain dislike for them but its usualy much lower than the "coolness" factor of elves. 

As for the topic. The underdog will cleary be the Dominion. Surveys have shown that the faction and its races are the least popular ones. In addition this faction does have a class issue. There is a close connection between class, or better the role the player tend to play, and the race they tend do choose. Both Ebonheart and Daggerfall have a good mix of races for all possible roles but the Dominion lacks on the melee-fighter role and does have a focus on mages and ranged roles. This can lead to some massive issues for the whole faction.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I'll be playing and elf. Primarily because I like elves but partially because they've been  the favored underdogs for a while.

Alt would be an orc. Orc in heavy armor for the cool 2 hander kills!

• Originally posted by Tuktz

Is the ELF hate an elder scrolls fan thing? because I've played many MMO's since DAOC in 2000, and in every single one with ELVES, a TON of people played them lol. FOr some reason I see a ton of people in here saying they'll be underplayed though, which makes me scratch my head because it's contrary to what I've always seen. 

Just curious if it's a Elder Scrolls fan difference from an mmo player. Maybe the two types of players will balance eachother out? :P

Yeah elves are usually very popular because they look pretty. Same with all the pretty races. They look really ugly in Oblivion/Skyrim however and at least in Skyrim are also not portrayed in a very appealing manner. I suppose they may look more appealing in TESO, but that remains to be seen.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

And yet the Dunmer (the Dark Elves) always remain popular.

The ending of the words is Almsivi.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Tuktz

Like Axxar said, MMO players pick elves because they are pretty and I suspect a good does of Tolkenism design. The Elder Scrolls elves don't work like that.

High Elves, Altmer, are not popular because they have an attitude problem that usually make them think they should rule everyone. I don't understand why people claim it started with Skyim representation of the Thalmor. They have done it before, numerous time. Good at magic though. Also, they are not exactly pretty.

Wild Elves, Bosmer, aren't bad culture wise (well if you exclude the cannibalism), but they tend to be shoehorned into "archers" and are the ugliest of all the TES races. Especially in Morrowind, they had beards.

Dark Elves, Dunmer, are quite popular, they have awesome lore and history too, but they are in the Ebonheart Pact. But again no fashion contest winners.

Orcs, Orsimer, are not considered elves by most players, they are in the Daggerfall Convenant. Male Orcs are not bad, but female...

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Axxar

Yeah elves are usually very popular because they look pretty. Same with all the pretty races. They look really ugly in Oblivion/Skyrim however and at least in Skyrim are also not portrayed in a very appealing manner. I suppose they may look more appealing in TESO, but that remains to be seen.

I can't wait to see these forums explode with hatred when the first elven in game screen shots come out and they're all supermodel level attractive. Although, in DAoC the elves were tall and gangly and not "beautiful", so maybe it won't go down like that. *shrug*

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

The more information I see and the more guilds I am looking into joining it would seem the Aldmeri Dominion is going to be the biggest.  I have yet to find a notable guild to join Ebonheart and I believe the communities prphesy of them being the big side is grossly under valued.

With that being said, I still think Daggerfall will be the smallest side because most polls show the Orc and Reguard as being grossly underplayed.  If it wasnt for the extremely popular half-elf Breton that side would never have a chance.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111

Underdog will be Daggerfall, most popular will be Ebonheart. 

And I like it this way

I will play Orc;) and need to be in underdog side to have enough heads to chop off.