Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord British Presents...

Comments

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390
    RG is still my childhood hero, even if he hasn't been able to get his s$%# together since EA killed UO2.  He's recently been backing away from his silly comments about "social games" being the future, so I have a tiny shred of hope regarding this announcement.  Mind you, only a tiny shred.  His $28M wrongful termination judgement against NCSoft was recent upheld, so he really doesn't need to be kickstarted....
  • SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    I'm sure it will be an announcment for http://www.portalarium.com/index.php/ultimate-rpg .  It is the project he has been working on.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Sengi

Im pretty sure that this is just the release of Ultima Forever. http://ultimaforever.com/ EA said spring 2013. Or am I wrong?

I like how the game captures some of the original Ultima art style, but I can’t say if it is any good gameplay wise. I believe that Richard Garriott has lost all interest in video games, and this is just a marketing thing.

This game has nothing to do with Richard Garriott. Ultima Forever is a game made by the empty husk known as EA Mythic.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Im not diging this force new trend from some people that mobile gaming is the next big thing.

We use mobile devices because, well people are on the go.  Then you get this idea that they are going to have time to dig into a game for more than 5-10min (which btw all the popular mobile games cater to)

This idea that we are going to get people playing mobil games for any longer than a brief stint is ridiculous.  I game over watching tv, if im going to game its going to be in comfort not on public transportation, in a cab, on lunch, ect.  I would rather sit in my comfy chair, with my nice desk, a cool beverage next to me, and game for a few hours.

Im not going to want to pull out my 5inch screen and get treated to an akward sit while playing for a few.

As far as facebook is concerned yeah its a big market segment of non gamers/quasi gamers who sit at the computer all day looking at what other people like...could be tapped into and get these semi-computer junkies into full fledged mmo fiends...but even then client base mmorpgs are just better than the goofy web browser games.

In short, i hate when "industry thinkers" try to push their half asses vision as to what the future will be. Like with my tv example, sure people watch tv on moblie devices when they can, but all would prefer to watch something they really enjoy in comfort on nice technology made for viewing...not some cellphone.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

"non gamers/quasi gamers"

I like your terminology!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Im not diging this force new trend from some people that mobile gaming is the next big thing.

We use mobile devices because, well people are on the go.  Then you get this idea that they are going to have time to dig into a game for more than 5-10min (which btw all the popular mobile games cater to)

This idea that we are going to get people playing mobil games for any longer than a brief stint is ridiculous.  I game over watching tv, if im going to game its going to be in comfort not on public transportation, in a cab, on lunch, ect.  I would rather sit in my comfy chair, with my nice desk, a cool beverage next to me, and game for a few hours.

Im not going to want to pull out my 5inch screen and get treated to an akward sit while playing for a few.

As far as facebook is concerned yeah its a big market segment of non gamers/quasi gamers who sit at the computer all day looking at what other people like...could be tapped into and get these semi-computer junkies into full fledged mmo fiends...but even then client base mmorpgs are just better than the goofy web browser games.

In short, i hate when "industry thinkers" try to push their half asses vision as to what the future will be. Like with my tv example, sure people watch tv on moblie devices when they can, but all would prefer to watch something they really enjoy in comfort on nice technology made for viewing...not some cellphone.

This is not about industry thinkers trying to push a vision of the future. It is about gaming companies seeing a new market. Just as years ago they saw console players as the new market for MMO's. They have seen the numbers on people who play games on mobiles and play games in a social network. They want some of that action.

So what will happen? Well I predict it will be like what happened when they started making MMO's with consoles in mind. Simpler control systems, simpler UI, less interactive elements on screen, graphics not as top notch as it could be.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    He's just going to launch some kickstarter compaign for some 'old school' MMO.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by expresso

If he can bring Raph Koster onboard, I'm backing for sure, even if the game is about pink fluffy bunnies.

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390

There's been a lot less of that talk ever since Zynga began its death spiral.  Mobile has its place in gaming, but it's the wrong platform for any game that can't be played start-to-finish over the course of a bowel movement.   The industry is starting to figure this out; we'll see if Mr. Garriot has done the same in a few more days.

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Tabula Rasa means he will never get funding again.

I actually enjoyed that game, and, at times, miss it, i never got to endgame though, so cant say if it was bad.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Originally posted by expresso

If he can bring Raph Koster onboard, I'm backing for sure, even if the game is about pink fluffy bunnies.

Amen brother

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

whatever it is - will be known in 2 days 22 hours

Friday morning  03/08

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by etlar

I actually enjoyed that game, and, at times, miss it, i never got to endgame though, so cant say if it was bad.

It does not matter what you feel personally about the game. It was a financial disaster. No one will, or should, let him play with other people's money again.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Greyface

There's been a lot less of that talk ever since Zynga began its death spiral.  Mobile has its place in gaming, but it's the wrong platform for any game that can't be played start-to-finish over the course of a bowel movement.   The industry is starting to figure this out; we'll see if Mr. Garriot has done the same in a few more days.

I think the gaming industry should start using "bowel movements" as a standardized unit of time.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

It does not matter what you feel personally about the game. It was a financial disaster. No one will, or should, let him play with other people's money again.

ofcrouse it matters how i personally feel about a game, it might just be the whole reason a play a game, but  yes, it was a financial disaster, but as far as i remember, there was more to it, alot infact :)

(and to add, from a birds view, yes, the game was pretty "thin" very very thin, but thats because I and alot of others expected more from the guy who made what is probably one of the greatests mmos ever, UO.)

Ps: pls ignore the spelling, lack of sllep, and a few beers! :)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

ofcrouse it matters how i personally feel about a game, it might just be the whole reason a play a game, but  yes, it was a financial disaster, but as far as i remember, there was more to it, alot infact :)

(and to add, from a birds view, yes, the game was pretty "thin" very very thin, but thats because I and alot of others expected more from the guy who made what is probably one of the greatests mmos ever, UO.)

Ps: pls ignore the spelling, lack of sllep, and a few beers! :)

I mean "it does not matter to investors". No one will back him. Personally feel of course matters to you .. but it matters to few others.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    30 minutes till the greatest mmorpg of our time is to be announced!
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon
    30 minutes till the greatest mmorpg of our time is to be announced!

Or ti'll we see him light his own farts on fire in an attempt to beat the guiness world record (if that's the case though I hope he shaved... for all our sakes and his).

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I'm expecting something super lame. I'd die of a nerdgasm if it turns out to be UO2
  • AtliJorundAtliJorund Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by OgreRaper
    I'm expecting something super lame. I'd die of a nerdgasm if it turns out to be UO2

If that happens I'm just going to go ahead and alt-f4 out of real life...not getting my hopes up though.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    i had forgotten about this - thanks for reminder :)
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

2 minutes.

Even though I dont really care about it, the timer makes me anxious......

• SpezzSpezz Member Posts: 141

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0

>_>

"Multiplayer Online Game - which can also be played solo player / offline " Worries me.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Shroud of the Avatar.

I'm intrigued!

• AtliJorundAtliJorund Member Posts: 13

Upon first look it reminds me of a Runescape version of UO but looking at the Kickstarter..

"Multiplayer Online Game - which can also be played solo player / offline"

whaaa?