Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: Icespire Peak Zone Preview

2»

Comments

• RorrinRorrin Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by ltank
    Originally posted by Rorrin

i'm a little concerned about the replayability.  I've leveled a cleric to 30 and the experience was pretty much on rails.  Not sure how many times I would want to go through that with multiple classes.  So having more to choose from up front sure would be nice.

If we end up with only one starting area and a single quest path then it might not even matter how many classes they put into the game later.

Other games that released (back in the day) with a ton of classes - ala EQ, DAOC, WoW all had multiple starting areas so at least starting a new class meant possibly seeing some new content also.

You levelled to 30 in a weekend and yet think it will be on rails even with the Foundry? lol

yes

• RorrinRorrin Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

i'm a little concerned about the replayability.  I've leveled a cleric to 30 and the experience was pretty much on rails.  Not sure how many times I would want to go through that with multiple classes.  So having more to choose from up front sure would be nice.

If we end up with only one starting area and a single quest path then it might not even matter how many classes they put into the game later.

Other games that released (back in the day) with a ton of classes - ala EQ, DAOC, WoW all had multiple starting areas so at least starting a new class meant possibly seeing some new content also.

xp for beta weekend was boosted they said also longer the game is out more foundry missions will be available will mean less content you will be repeating unless you want to.. that's the great thing about allowing player made content built right into the questing system... this alone gives it a ton of replayability as long as people keep making content

i was a little underwhelmed by the Foundry content, but of course it was only very early beta so I am excited to see if this concept can really add that replayability, i really hope it does.

even with the boosted XP all of the mobs in each zone were level appropriate, so i wonder how they will pull this off once live.  I can't imagine hitting "level 20 zones" and only being level 13 or something.  And surely they will not force you to Foundry just to make up the difference.

Oh well, i'm having fun with the game so I'll keep the faith for now.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

xp for beta weekend was boosted they said also longer the game is out more foundry missions will be available will mean less content you will be repeating unless you want to.. that's the great thing about allowing player made content built right into the questing system... this alone gives it a ton of replayability as long as people keep making content

i was a little underwhelmed by the Foundry content, but of course it was only very early beta so I am excited to see if this concept can really add that replayability, i really hope it does.

even with the boosted XP all of the mobs in each zone were level appropriate, so i wonder how they will pull this off once live.  I can't imagine hitting "level 20 zones" and only being level 13 or something.  And surely they will not force you to Foundry just to make up the difference.

Oh well, i'm having fun with the game so I'll keep the faith for now.

foundry right now is still in heavy testing and they are adding to it all the time... it does need a good robust tutorial though which I hope is out for launch or hopefully a nice tester will make one. You can do a TON of still but many of the more interesting features aren't easy to find unless someone explains it

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    II think they'll add classes later to the cash shop ... not bad really.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Better to have 5 great classes then 8 menicore casses like most MMO's release with. 

what about 8 great classes? i think if they are able to make a great game and great classes, they shouldnt limit it to 5 classes. The more the better, specially in PvE focused games. But lack of classes is not a deal breaker on F2P for me. If i was to pay for a box or a sub then yes it is. But PWE tend to add new classes to their games with expansions, and Cryptic did the same with Champions so. Im sure they will add more with expansions

SO tempted to buy a founder's pack... want to try this out SO bad....
    Originally posted by Margrave

you got a beta key from that other thread right? so you'll get into it eventually.. i bought the $60 founders pack but not till after i got into alpha and tried it out a bit.. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Yes, I did get a key from that guys PC Gamer post, but access for those keys has yet to be determined as you can see here:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?30761-Neverwinter-Beta-Weekend-details-Read-this-first!&p=521981&viewfull=1#post521981

I'm just getting antsy with watching all these videoes. lol

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

you got a beta key from that other thread right? so you'll get into it eventually.. i bought the $60 founders pack but not till after i got into alpha and tried it out a bit.. 

I am actually excited about this game.  What is the world size like from your alpha test?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

I am actually excited about this game.  What is the world size like from your alpha test?

alpha is still under NDA so only zones in beta can be discussed.. honestly i can't remember which zones were in the first beta so i probably shouldn't discuss that

• LoganKonlanLoganKonlan Member Posts: 28

On rails?  Ew.

I'm on  the fence about NW, but the more I read posts by those who have played, the more skeptical I become.  I LONG for an awesome DnD title - but clearly this one is missing the mark.

Not sure why people are getting wrapped up in the number of classes though.  The bigger question is how soon will I get bored?  I agree the Foundry is something to look forward to, but if that's the only feature that lasts the test of time I think it's a fail.

ESO anyone?

If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Yeah loking hot each time this is what i really want the old school sexy world of DND
    Originally posted by LoganKonlan

On rails?  Ew.

I'm on  the fence about NW, but the more I read posts by those who have played, the more skeptical I become.  I LONG for an awesome DnD title - but clearly this one is missing the mark.

Not sure why people are getting wrapped up in the number of classes though.  The bigger question is how soon will I get bored?  I agree the Foundry is something to look forward to, but if that's the only feature that lasts the test of time I think it's a fail.

ESO anyone?

ESO?  No thank you.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by LoganKonlan

On rails?  Ew.

ESO anyone?

Your worried that NW will be on rails and you will run out of content, even with the foundry system, but you sugest shifting attention to ESO?  Several people from the press weekend already confirmed that ESO is heavily themepark & very much on rails, and it doesn't even have the foundry system to fall back on.

Originally posted by waynejr2

alpha is still under NDA so only zones in beta can be discussed.. honestly i can't remember which zones were in the first beta so i probably shouldn't discuss that

Thanks!

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    I'm sorry but this looks like nothing more than an Eastern game company that tweaked WoW.  Here's hoping I'm wrong.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by allendale5
    I'm sorry but this looks like nothing more than an Eastern game company that tweaked WoW.  Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

1) Cryptic is a western developer.

2) The game is further from WoW than pretty much any MMO out there to date, aside from GW2.

• kedarakedara Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Considering its predecessor, this is total junk. Like from the junk pit. (You know, that place where you get your t-shirts with the too-long to read captions.)
  • brianw1brianw1 Member UncommonPosts: 59
    So greatweapon fighter and controll coming 2nd beta weekend?
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

I dont have big expections on that game. All the info we got point to a shallow "MMORPG-Lite" similar to a Diablo in 3D maybe. Masses of instances and lobby gaming, yay!

And again another overstylized graphic engine with flashy effects. I would prefer the puristic low-fantasy style of a Baldurs Gate. So transformed in todays games, Age of Conan delivered that graphics style quite well.

This is not where I expect this genre to go. But anyway, with these shallow games you please millions. My opinion is nothing of concern.

Hodor!

• DruftDruft Member Posts: 24
    The game screams of p2w in every way. you can say noooo its not cause people can buy stuff with money and sell them for gold but the does not change anything. p2w and it's sad they try to say its not with such crappy excuses.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Ice giants look awesome. May need Pikel Bouldershoulder's help to blow them up.

Yup yup, BOOM! he he he.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • ZackxmZackxm Member UncommonPosts: 31
    the lack of skills is a bigger issue than the missing classes in my opinion. The feat choices are very very limited and no skills at all? I've played the beta weekend and I think that DDO is way better D&D than this and I hate Eberron and several things about it but it's character build system blows this away imo.