Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: Icespire Peak Zone Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Cryptic Studios has teamed up with MMORPG.com to bring our readers a first look at the Neverwinter Icespire Peak zone of the game. Read up on the lore and check out our exclusive video.

Snow-laden crags and hard-edged bluffs loom over Torunedar like frostbitten fingers.  Despite the subzero temperatures, the dwarven village is bustling with activity, constantly preparing for an ongoing battle that is as sure as the promise of a cold dawn.  Bolbin Ironbrow can be found coordinating the meager Icehammer militia as Garora Oakhew tends to the wounded and holds the front line.  In the White Crags, the blistering waste high atop Icespire Peak, Florin Icehammer, last scion of an ancient line, seeks a way to bring the fight to Hrimnir himself.

Read all the lore and check out the Neverwinter: Icespire Peak Zone Preview video.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
     Wow! Now if they get a few more classes into the game :p (trying not to get hyped on this title.)
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Great sounding background story. I am hoping the Foundry can create some similar dungeons for that area.
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Lol yep.  The lack of classes is the ONLY thing stopping me from getting a founders pack.  I'll play it eventually, maybe a year down the road or so.  Once they release 4-5 more classes.

Also I hope they foundry has a ton of textures available.  So that one dungeon's walls don't look like every other dungeon's walls etc etc.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Looks pretty solid. Four days to go for next Closed Beta!

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by ragz45

Lol yep.  The lack of classes is the ONLY thing stopping me from getting a founders pack.  I'll play it eventually, maybe a year down the road or so.  Once they release 4-5 more classes.

Also I hope they foundry has a ton of textures available.  So that one dungeon's walls don't look like every other dungeon's walls etc etc.

one of the preview videos(forgot which) but shows you can select premade layouts if you wish that are pretty much copies of most all the locations in the game already then you can tweak that map how you see fit.. even large areas like cities.. ill see if I can find the video it was like PAX or one of those

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    the last beta was kind of a joke, so I'm hoping that this next one is better and has more to show for the kinda money we all put down on a game that isn't even out yet...
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Ice giants look awesome. May need Pikel Bouldershoulder's help to blow them up.
  • rooster99rooster99 Member UncommonPosts: 30

can't wait for this game

• brianw1brianw1 Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Will the greatweapon fighter and control wizard be on this 2nd beta weekend?
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Better to have 5 great classes then 8 menicore casses like most MMO's release with.  My only gripe is there is no Ranged bow class for launch but should get rectified pretty soon after launch thanks to the data mined content.  Do not let a lack of classes be your only reason, espcially considering most MMO classes are rather similar to each other.  In NWO every class is as original as one can be designed IMO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Better to have 5 great classes then 8 menicore casses like most MMO's release with.  My only gripe is there is no Ranged bow class for launch but should get rectified pretty soon after launch thanks to the data mined content.  Do not let a lack of classes be your only reason, espcially considering most MMO classes are rather similar to each other.  In NWO every class is as original as one can be designed IMO.

If you like the game I say play it and support it. If it gets support they will update it with new classes and content. I dont see why everyone is upset with 5 classes as MMOs are always growing.

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339

Yeah they will release more classes as the game grows and content expands etc 5 classes are what most mmos start out as and each class has 3 paths to go down as well and veer and move from those as well.

So 5 classes is not t hat bad.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

From what I've played so far in the beta weekend this game is really a 3D action RPG. Sort of what would happen if Blizzard had decided to make a "world of diablo". 

If you try to compare it with traditional everquest type mmo's you'll be either confused or dissapointed or both. It does not have many classes, doesn't have many skills you can use at once, doesn't have classic mmo combat based on the turn based model and behind the screen dice rolls. 

If however you compare it with the modern ARPG game you will find this is actually the most amazing and advance of its kind. A fully realized 3 -d world where its competitors like Diablo/path of exile/torchlight and titan's quest are stuck in the mid-ninetees with their top down perspective with stuck camera positions. A hugely advanced character creation option where most ARPG games don't even let you select  anything beyond class and gender. An MMO, a huge persistent world where most ARPG games allow you to be with no more then 3 or 4 other players in the same region. And finally as an added bonus there is the foundry. A tool which will give create players the ability to design exciting regions, storylines and zones themselves.

Does it have only 5 classes at launch? Yes, but Diablo had only 4 and some ARPG's have even less then that. 

So do you like MMO's? Do you like ARPG's? If the answer is yes to both then Neverwinter could be the best thing that happened to you. It's hard to ascertain as of yet how much longevity is in this (depends on the expansion of the foundry options as well) but to me this title is already easily whiping out titles like Path of Exile and Diablo 3 and giving us an exciting new twist in the MMO category. 

If you do not like ARPG's (or mmo's) Neverwinter is probably not for you. 

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I will watch this title with an open mind, but I am failing to see much that makes the game play feel like a D&D title. Some of the core elements of D&D are not present in this game. The whole vanity pet system does not belong in a D&D title either.... so I will watch and see how it progresses.

Originally posted by Shana77

From what I've played so far in the beta weekend this game is really a 3D action RPG. Sort of what would happen if Blizzard had decided to make a "world of diablo". 

If you try to compare it with traditional everquest type mmo's you'll be either confused or dissapointed or both. It does not have many classes, doesn't have many skills you can use at once, doesn't have classic mmo combat based on the turn based model and behind the screen dice rolls. 

If however you compare it with the modern ARPG game you will find this is actually the most amazing and advance of its kind. A fully realized 3 -d world where its competitors like Diablo/path of exile/torchlight and titan's quest are stuck in the mid-ninetees with their top down perspective with stuck camera positions. A hugely advanced character creation option where most ARPG games don't even let you select  anything beyond class and gender. An MMO, a huge persistent world where most ARPG games allow you to be with no more then 3 or 4 other players in the same region. And finally as an added bonus there is the foundry. A tool which will give create players the ability to design exciting regions, storylines and zones themselves.

Does it have only 5 classes at launch? Yes, but Diablo had only 4 and some ARPG's have even less then that. 

So do you like MMO's? Do you like ARPG's? If the answer is yes to both then Neverwinter could be the best thing that happened to you. It's hard to ascertain as of yet how much longevity is in this (depends on the expansion of the foundry options as well) but to me this title is already easily whiping out titles like Path of Exile and Diablo 3 and giving us an exciting new twist in the MMO category. 

If you do not like ARPG's (or mmo's) Neverwinter is probably not for you. 

^ i agree with most everything but the last sentance.. i really loathe arpgs like diablo nowadays but actually very much enjoy nw online so far.. it does have a similar "feel" in a way but i guess i just don't like the top down view of arpgs anymore and the click to death gameplay with very little story inbetween.. at least in neverwinter you just hold down the button heh

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by azzamasin

If you like the game I say play it and support it. If it gets support they will update it with new classes and content. I dont see why everyone is upset with 5 classes as MMOs are always growing.

Because people like varriety, and don't like looking / playing exactly like the majority of the other people they come across.  9 classes gives much more class variety than 5 classes.  

As far as the argument that having many classes makes them all start to feel like one another DAOC had 32 classes at release if memory serves, and not a single one of their classes felt like a mirror of another class.

Limiting us to 5 classes @ release is nothing more than lazy development -or- a cash grab as they charge us for more classes quickly post release.  Either way it's not a good thing, and if you think otherwise your only fooling yourself.

• ShaudiusShaudius Member Posts: 4

Because people like varriety, and don't like looking / playing exactly like the majority of the other people they come across.  9 classes gives much more class variety than 5 classes.  

As far as the argument that having many classes makes them all start to feel like one another DAOC had 32 classes at release if memory serves, and not a single one of their classes felt like a mirror of another class.

Limiting us to 5 classes @ release is nothing more than lazy development -or- a cash grab as they charge us for more classes quickly post release.  Either way it's not a good thing, and if you think otherwise your only fooling yourself.

Yes, people do like variety. But assuming there are 5 classes and they are equally distributed you're only like 1/5th of the other players. I fail to see how being like 20% of other players is going to make you feel like you are going to have a lesser game experience, especially since much of the game of soloable and that which isn't is 5 person dungeon(exactly 1 of each class would work fine.)

Originally posted by Shaudius

Yes, people do like variety. But assuming there are 5 classes and they are equally distributed you're only like 1/5th of the other players. I fail to see how being like 20% of other players is going to make you feel like you are going to have a lesser game experience, especially since much of the game of soloable and that which isn't is 5 person dungeon(exactly 1 of each class would work fine.)

Most likely because you are part of the generation that grew up without the early games that had 10+ classes at launch.  So you don't know what a game with more classes at launch feels like compared to those with fewer.

Originally posted by Shaudius

Most likely because you are part of the generation that grew up without the early games that had 10+ classes at launch.  So you don't know what a game with more classes at launch feels like compared to those with fewer.

i like a variety of classes but personally there could be only 2 or 3 classes i'd still give this game a try to see what people come up with using the foundry and try it out myself.. one thing i noticed is generally games with lots of classes usually have very simple combat animations/variety in combat graphics( look at Rift lots of soul combinations and skills but very little variety in overall skill animations and effects).. you end up with a lot of receycled movements and abilities(graphically at least) which doesn't bother some but in an action game like this would be very noticable

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

It will launch with 5 classes and 2 more will be added shortly after. Probably even more by the end of the year.

The big question is: how many viable classes other MMOs have at launch and six months after the launch? 

• RorrinRorrin Member UncommonPosts: 29

i'm a little concerned about the replayability.  I've leveled a cleric to 30 and the experience was pretty much on rails.  Not sure how many times I would want to go through that with multiple classes.  So having more to choose from up front sure would be nice.

If we end up with only one starting area and a single quest path then it might not even matter how many classes they put into the game later.

Other games that released (back in the day) with a ton of classes - ala EQ, DAOC, WoW all had multiple starting areas so at least starting a new class meant possibly seeing some new content also.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

From the video it looked like ps3 rpg wannabe production .Too many offer nothing but shiny n glowing effects...What they smoke over there when they make games?

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

WoW all these people complaining about classes when they know they're going to churn out more, meanwhile the rest of us will be enjoying the game. Can't wait for them to add the rest of the classes too but I want them to get it right the first time, none of this "oh let's balance the game after we launch it so there's disparity between the classes and their usefulness" like every mmo has done since 2004 including most recently GW2 which is still doing that with each patch.

I want to play a ranger as much as the next guy but I'm being patient and They've already stated they are working on these new classes to be released shortly after launch so I'm not worried.

The video is awesome. I like how they have the storylines setup. I also love how they are doing the economy. No more RMT for keys or locked boxes!

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by Rorrin

i'm a little concerned about the replayability.  I've leveled a cleric to 30 and the experience was pretty much on rails.  Not sure how many times I would want to go through that with multiple classes.  So having more to choose from up front sure would be nice.

If we end up with only one starting area and a single quest path then it might not even matter how many classes they put into the game later.

Other games that released (back in the day) with a ton of classes - ala EQ, DAOC, WoW all had multiple starting areas so at least starting a new class meant possibly seeing some new content also.

You levelled to 30 in a weekend and yet think it will be on rails even with the Foundry? lol

Originally posted by Rorrin

xp for beta weekend was boosted they said also longer the game is out more foundry missions will be available will mean less content you will be repeating unless you want to.. that's the great thing about allowing player made content built right into the questing system... this alone gives it a ton of replayability as long as people keep making content