Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS4 Hardware details from AMD

Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430

"The highly-integrated Sony PlayStation 4 system-on-chip integrates eight AMD x86 Jaguar cores, custom AMD Radeon HD core with unified array of 18 AMD GCN-like compute units (1152 stream processors which collectively generate 1.84TFLOPS of computer power that can freely be applied to graphics, simulation tasks, or some mixture of the two), various special-purpose  blocks as well as multi-channel GDDR5 memory controller."

"The PS4 will come with 8GB of unified GDDR5 memory sub-system (with 176GB/s bandwidth) for both CPU and GPU as well as large-capacity hard disk drive." http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20130221223422_AMD_Discloses_More_Details_About_Sony_PS4_System_on_Chip.html

The article has some more details at the Xbitllabs site. Any thoughts on the PS4 hardware?

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

I'm starting to wish they'd just let people install Windows to PS4. Then use mouse, keyboard, monitor, and completely replace their desktop computer.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Vrika

I'm starting to wish they'd just let people install Windows to PS4. Then use mouse, keyboard, monitor, and completely replace their desktop computer.

PS4 would probably be obsolete in three years with the pace technology keeps advancing.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

The problem is that Sony will probably lose money on every PS4 that they sell.  The plan is to make it up by taking a cut of game sales.  But that doesn't happen if you let users install Windows and play games where Sony doesn't get a cut of the sales.

The other problem with using it for a Windows gaming PC is that the low single-threaded performance will mean that badly-coded games that don't scale well to many CPU cores won't run well.  There are more than a few such games out there.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by Quizzical

The problem is that Sony will probably lose money on every PS4 that they sell.  The plan is to make it up by taking a cut of game sales.  But that doesn't happen if you let users install Windows and play games where Sony doesn't get a cut of the sales.

The other problem with using it for a Windows gaming PC is that the low single-threaded performance will mean that badly-coded games that don't scale well to many CPU cores won't run well.  There are more than a few such games out there.

nintendo do that for years, most of they profits is from games.

also I don't know why you guys ware taht raging for the ps4, they want a console doing what a pc do, then I ask why the hell I would want one?

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Fornax123Fornax123 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    My current mid-range PC with a year old graphics card pushes more FLOPS.  I'll stick with PC gaming tyvm.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

also I don't know why you guys ware taht raging for the ps4, they want a console doing what a pc do, then I ask why the hell I would want one?

It depends. Games like GTA and Saint's Row I get for console because they tend to run smoother than on a mid range PC. If the browser was better on my PS3 we'd probably browse more on the living room TV. Heck, my Wife would probably spend hours on Pintrest alone there. Unfortunately it's currently a crapshoot.

We use our PS3 as a family game machine, a media center, and our Netflix player. It does a better job in less space and for a lower price than most PC options. A PS4 would be a great I mprovement on that experience for us, moreso than an equivalent PC.

It all depends on what you use your console for.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Using windows and letting everyone pirate everything and then encouraging them to use the clumsy keyboard would pretty much defeat the purpose and the good parts about using a console over a PC in the first place. 

Instead, sony should start letting people develop and distribute apps the way they do on android or ipad. 

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Then it wouldn't be a console.

You make me like charity

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Instead, sony should start letting people develop and distribute apps the way they do on android or ipad. 

I would have thought that by now, with the extensive PS store and support for, DLC keys, in-game transactions, content unlocks, etc they would have the system opened up a little more to get a bunch of indies in there genrating cash hand over fist for them. It would be interesting to find out why they keep it as closed as they do.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Not sure what you're smoking, but Nintendo is the only console maker that actually sells their consoles at a profit, pretty much from day 1.  It's why they're so far behind the performance curve.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22

Not sure what you're smoking, but Nintendo is the only console maker that actually sells their consoles at a profit, pretty much from day 1.  It's why they're so far behind the performance curve.

Apple does, too.  The iPad is basically a console, though games aren't its primary purpose.

-----

If Sony thought there was a market for it and they could prevent the "normal" PS4 from being hacked into this, it could make sense for them to sell an alternate version of a PS4 with Windows 7 or 8 installed for $600, or Linux for a little less than that.  That would probably be enough to make a profit on every unit sold.  But at $600 rather than $425, would there still be a market for it?  And you'd need some hardware protections in place to prevent people from buying the $425 normal PS4 and turning it into a $600 Windows PS4.

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Fornax123
    My current mid-range PC with a year old graphics card pushes more FLOPS.  I'll stick with PC gaming tyvm.

How many FLOPS does it push?

How many FLOPS does a mid range gaming rig often talked about in this section of the forums push? How does it compare with the upcoming Sony PS4?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I have no clue what all that computer jargin is, but I'm guessing that all means it'll be better to just go and buy $600 in parts and put your own computer together...since it'll be faster, have a much better variety of games, it'll be backwards compatible, can actually do more than play games, and you can upgrade it for a few bills later on down the road?  That's all I needed to know.  

That's assuming they're only going to charge $600 for it like the PS3...however if they go with the price jump from PS2 to PS3 launch, it'll be more like $900...then it'll really not be worth it lol.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Sal1

How many FLOPS does a mid range gaming rig often talked about in this section of the forums push? How does it compare with the upcoming Sony PS4?

I am sure he has no idea what he's talking about. A mid-range PC can't compare to the new PS4.

But it's not the specs that really matter. I don't understand all those blind PC fanboys who hate everything related to consoles. You do realise your specs mean nothing? People buy consoles to play games. And a lot of great games don't even make it to the PC. What good is a super uber powerful PC if I can't play the games I want? I still remember all those PC fanboys hating on consoles while at the same time begging for console exclusives to come to the PC.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

It depends. Games like GTA and Saint's Row I get for console because they tend to run smoother than on a mid range PC. If the browser was better on my PS3 we'd probably browse more on the living room TV. Heck, my Wife would probably spend hours on Pintrest alone there. Unfortunately it's currently a crapshoot.

We use our PS3 as a family game machine, a media center, and our Netflix player. It does a better job in less space and for a lower price than most PC options. A PS4 would be a great I mprovement on that experience for us, moreso than an equivalent PC.

It all depends on what you use your console for.

Agreed

My PS3 has been used to stream nextflix, media, blu ray player, music ect alot more than for gaming. I do play games on it some but prefer my PC for any serious gaming.

I may get a PS4 at some point, but it wont be at launch thats for sure. They make great media centers for the living room and for now the PS3 is filling that roll nicely.

You do realize that looking purely at FLOPS is comparing apples and oranges, don't you?  Even at exactly the same theoretical maximum FLOPS number, Fermi performance > GCN performance > TeraScale performance, and none of those are terribly close to being equal.

Originally posted by Gravarg

I have no clue what all that computer jargin is, but I'm guessing that all means it'll be better to just go and buy $600 in parts and put your own computer together...since it'll be faster, have a much better variety of games, it'll be backwards compatible, can actually do more than play games, and you can upgrade it for a few bills later on down the road?  That's all I needed to know.  

That's assuming they're only going to charge $600 for it like the PS3...however if they go with the price jump from PS2 to PS3 launch, it'll be more like $900...then it'll really not be worth it lol.

I thought I read somewhere that it was going to be $425.

Much of the point of going with integrated graphics is to keep the cost of production down.  That shows up less in the first iteration, but give it a couple of die shrinks and they might eventually be able to sell it profitably at $200.

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430

You do realize that looking purely at FLOPS is comparing apples and oranges, don't you?  Even at exactly the same theoretical maximum FLOPS number, Fermi performance > GCN performance > TeraScale performance, and none of those are terribly close to being equal.

I see.  I thought operations per second would be a fair comparison. So there isn't really a way to compare the new Playstation 4 with a PC?

I see.  I thought operations per second would be a fair comparison. So there isn't really a way to compare the new Playstation 4 with a PC?

You can compare FLOPS numbers provided that the only PC video cards you're comparing to are Radeon HD 7000 series cards.  Or more to the point, 7750 or higher, as anything below 7700 is a rebrand of an older card of a different architecture.

If you want to compare other video cards, then find the equivalent in the Radeon HD 7000 series first, and chain the comparison.  E.g., if card X is half as fast as a Radeon HD 7750, which is in turn half as fast as a PS4 GPU, then card X is about 1/4 as fast as a PS4 GPU.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by fivoroth
    A mid-range PC can't compare to the new PS4.

Problem is a mid range computer will eventually be better than a ps4.

Ive herd this "more power is better" for many many years now and all comes down to the fact that a console is a: lounge room mostly family friendly gaming appliance.

If they games are good, Who cares how many flops it can pull?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    the fundamental flaw of consoles is that they can't be upgraded, while computers can, and fairly easy and cheaply.  I know over the years they upgrade and refine the console, but you're stuck with which ever version you bought.
  • Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

My only complaint is that Console Developers do not seem to think of the future... they do... but they are planning a future from when they come up with their next system.  Not the future AFTER release of said system.  8 GB Memory is now the STANDARD in any gaming PC.  I understand that theirs is DDR5 which isn't even in PCs yet.. but how much faster is it really than our current DDR3?

Could they have not doubled the Memory?

Mouse and keyboard support for those of us that prefer K/M over a controller?

We'll see.  I just hope to see some launch titles that are not holding the system back by also working with the PS3.

Full Sail University - Game Design

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

What people dont seem to realise is pc's and console's are completly diff, for 1 pc use windows so thay require more power to run the games as windows also uses up resources where consoles dont,

8GB of mem in a pc is still plenty and more then enough for any type of game, The 8GB in the ps4 is GDDR5, So it is alot faster then DDR3 mem and the most expensive graphic card that cost 8k only has 6GB GDDR5,

Consoles cant be upgraded becouse it gives developers a easyer road for making games as thay dont worry about if you can run it or not, Since the ps4 has 8GB GDDR5 and a powerful cpu and gpu it gives them a tonne of power to play with,

With a pc Developers are still limited on power becouse biggest part of gamers dont have the money for a top end gaming mashine so thay have to develop games so mid range players can also play, To put windows on a console you might as well buy a media center for your TV, Since consoles arnt desiged for windows and windows requires hardware drivers it would make PC games impossible to run.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by fivoroth
    A mid-range PC can't compare to the new PS4.

Problem is a mid range computer will eventually be better than a ps4.

Ive herd this "more power is better" for many many years now and all comes down to the fact that a console is a: lounge room mostly family friendly gaming appliance.

If they games are good, Who cares how many flops it can pull?

That's the thing too many people ignore. It's not about the specs. It's about what games you can play. And consoles have a much wider variety of AAA games released on them. I can only think of a few AAA games which don't make it to the consoles. Hell, even Pc developers like Blizzard are entering the console market. Do I need to say how many AAA games don't come to the PC? I have sooooo many games whidh I love playing and they were never released on the PC.

Entire genres are not being released to the PC. Fighting games never get released to the PC. Racing simulators like Forza, GT. Games like MetalGearSolid, Halo, God of War, Gears of War. The list is veeeeeery long. I am not saying that there are no PC exclusives. But this is why I have a PC and a console so I can play whatever I want. I don't want to limit myself by being a blind fanboy who fails to see reason.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by Southpaw.Gamer

My only complaint is that Console Developers do not seem to think of the future... they do... but they are planning a future from when they come up with their next system.  Not the future AFTER release of said system.  8 GB Memory is now the STANDARD in any gaming PC.  I understand that theirs is DDR5 which isn't even in PCs yet.. but how much faster is it really than our current DDR3?

Could they have not doubled the Memory?

Mouse and keyboard support for those of us that prefer K/M over a controller?

We'll see.  I just hope to see some launch titles that are not holding the system back by also working with the PS3.

I can assure you that Sony is very much thinking about the future.  The choice of going with integrated graphics that could be in the same chip as the CPU is proof of this.  This won't bring such great benefits in the initial launch model, but once you can do a die shrink perhaps a year after launch or so, the cost savings will be huge.

-----

The PS4 will have 176 GB/s of memory bandwidth.  Dual channel 1866 MHz DDR3, which would be fairly high end for system memory in a gaming desktop, gets you a little under 30 GB/s.  So yes, that's a big difference.  The PS4's memory bandwidth is mostly needed to feed the integrated graphics rather than the CPU, however.

You seem not to realize that games can't really make good use of that much more system memory.  Sure, having 4 GB available to you rather than 2 GB would let you be sloppier with your coding, but what else does it offer?  The ability to cache a bunch of textures in system memory in case the video card needs them later?  Getting 8 GB in a gaming rig today already constitutes doubling what you need for futureproofing reasons.

The 8 GB of memory in the PS4 is available both as video memory and system memory, which means games can easily have 6 GB of video memory available if they want it.  And that does have a clear benefit:  very high resolution textures.  Lots of them.  See if you can find a $425 desktop video card with 6 GB of video memory.  Just the video card at that price, even, not a complete desktop.