Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please make CU jumping...

2»

Comments

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    Originally posted by Stiler
    Originally posted by Niix_Ozek

Why is this an issue lol

Why is jumping so bad? you're standing around at a keep bored to all hell, who cares if someones jumping around with their character, you don't have to, doesn't hurt anyone. The fact it annoys you is not a valid reason to exclude it from the game. Sounds like you have a small case of OCD that you should talk to someone about.

Except they will do it DURING COMBat, when people are fighrting, to confuse people/try to lose sight of them. It's absurd not only by looks but mechanics.

you ever play any type of mutliplayer game with unlimited jumping ?

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Originally posted by infii

I don't get this discussion either.

People in favor of unlimited jumping get offended and angry for no reason but on the other hand are not bringing up any arguments.

It doesn't bother me all that much, but it seems logical to me that jumping should be restricted to a certain amount...

Here's an argument: The only MMO (as far as I know) that didn't have jumping was GW1. The #1 issue for the vast majority of players in GW1 was not being able to jump. You are a teeny tiny (but vocal) minority. It's time to retire this thread to discuss important things tbh.

NO ONE in this thread is talking about taking OUT jumping, we are merely saying that jumping in of itself needs to be balanced so that you can not REPEATDLY jump over and over and over while not losing stamina or having drawbacks to it (IE an animation that slows you down once you land from a jump, etc) so that people that try to "bunny hop" during combat will be at a disadvantage rather then an advantage.

Do you not grasp the concept?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Or better yet you can design the combat system around the concept that movement and positioning is what matters.  The only reason why people bunny-hop is because tab target combat is boring as hell.  Give some ability to actively dodge and block, remove hidden dice rolls for defensive measures and you open up a whole new world for active combat scenarios with out the need for ADHD kiddies to get their kicks in.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by MidHealer

...cost stamina, just like sprinting. On top of that, maybe add a slight delay after, say, second or third jump. Alternatively, instead of a delay, allow jumping only on keypress, but no automatic key repeat.

Having people jump around the whole time is really annoying, and being able to do it by simply pressing and holding a button only encourages it.

It would be nice if jumping would cost a sizeable chunk of stamina (for example, 10-20%), so you could still jump (and multiple times too, if needed), but can't simply press button and jump indefinitely. 

After all, sprinting, pulling bowstring or weapon swinging all cost stamina (great concept there, by the way, please keep stamina separate from power in CU!), and jumping should be no different, in my humble opinion.

I think we need additional realistic downsides:  twisted ankle (slow) and stun if hit while mid-hop.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• infiiinfii Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Jimmac
    <>

Here's an argument: The only MMO (as far as I know) that didn't have jumping was GW1. The #1 issue for the vast majority of players in GW1 was not being able to jump. You are a teeny tiny (but vocal) minority. It's time to retire this thread to discuss important things tbh.

There's a difference between being able to jump and being able to bunny hop all over during combat. CU needs jumping in general, because it is annoying for an mmo to not have jumping (just like it was annoying in GW1). CU does not need bunny hopping in combat. CU needs jump restrictions so you cannot jump excessively during combat. Maybe once or twice if you need to jump for some reason in combat (like you need to jump through that window or jump over that bush or creek), but we should not see toons jumping over and over and over again. It is stupid and looks ridiculous.

I don't think jumping should be tied at all to endurance. Endurance should be its own bar/meter for whatever it is used for. Jumping can have it's own restriction, such as: you can just the first time whenever, but you cannoy jump a second time until at least 5 seconds after the first time. If you jump a second time within 5-10 seconds of the first time, then you can't jump again for at least 15 seconds after the second jump. This is just an example, but the "restriction" on jumping needs to be localized to jumping and not interfere with other bars such as mana and endurance.

Can you list some MMOs with limited jumping (except GW1)? I honestly never heard of this idea and it sounds extremely dumb.

GW2 drained stamina for jumping.

Not that it does matter at all...

• Kryptonite_HiloKryptonite_Hilo Member Posts: 47
    I always hated that it would lead to lag-jumping or ghosting that did have an effect on targeting.
  • ArnfiarnunnArnfiarnunn Member UncommonPosts: 61

We shouldn't be abble to jump and stay at full speed. Even fps include this feature now.

Same thing for straff.

It should induce a % of miss like it did in daoc.

I liked the system because it allowed more strategy in placement, you didn't make a move without a reason. (when most haters only see 'olol they can't even move, so noob' )

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206

No it did not. You are confusing it with dodging.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

Obviously it has some effect, or you wouldn't want it nerfed.

Bunny hopping is obviously OP!!

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397

There is just too much complaining about nothing in this thread :(

If you don't like people jumping around, don't group with them, group with your friends who don't jump around.

If you get beat by someone because they are jumping around, i'm pretty sure its not because they were jumping around so don't get why that bothers you.

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660
    Originally posted by Kryptonite_Hilo
    I always hated that it would lead to lag-jumping or ghosting that did have an effect on targeting.

Yeah lag jumping was the problem I always saw in DAOC. Maybe it didn't happen to some players, but it would always happen on my screen. Our 8 man heading towards their 8 man and the guy I need to beat to mez is jumping repeatedly...well that would be no problem except that every time he jumps, on my screen his character just keeps heading up into the sky really far then would instantly snap back onto the ground. I would never see them descend.

I wouldn't even have a problem with unlimited jumping as long as no one bunny hopped for whatever reason. I do want to be able to jump and I'd like to jump multiple times in a row if I needed to for some reason. Restrictions aren't needed as long as people don't bunny hop or cause lag jumping or other problems like that. If they can be avoided some other way then maybe this won't even be an issue.

• infiiinfii Member Posts: 9

No it did not. You are confusing it with dodging.

No I'm not. I don't know about normal jumping, but at least while sprinting, jumping did drain additional endurance.

Originally posted by Jimmac
    Originally posted by Kryptonite_Hilo

Yeah lag jumping was the problem I always saw in DAOC. Maybe it didn't happen to some players, but it would always happen on my screen. Our 8 man heading towards their 8 man and the guy I need to beat to mez is jumping repeatedly...well that would be no problem except that every time he jumps, on my screen his character just keeps heading up into the sky really far then would instantly snap back onto the ground. I would never see them descend.

I wouldn't even have a problem with unlimited jumping as long as no one bunny hopped for whatever reason. I do want to be able to jump and I'd like to jump multiple times in a row if I needed to for some reason. Restrictions aren't needed as long as people don't bunny hop or cause lag jumping or other problems like that. If they can be avoided some other way then maybe this won't even be an issue.

This has nothing to do with jumping being an issue, it has to do with coding problems and lag. In DAOC there were ways to drag around your window while jumping... this was a hack, so assuming those kind of hacks have got weeded out of new games and it won't be in this game.

Don't ruin players ability to "jump" because some people hacked.

Ozek - DAOC

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660
    Originally posted by Niix_Ozek
    <>

This has nothing to do with jumping being an issue, it has to do with coding problems and lag. In DAOC there were ways to drag around your window while jumping... this was a hack, so assuming those kind of hacks have got weeded out of new games and it won't be in this game.

Don't ruin players ability to "jump" because some people hacked.

No I'm not talking about box dragging or window dragging or whatever it was called. But it was definitely some sort of lag or coding issue relating to jumping. Not hacking though as all the player was doing was jumping.

As I said I am fine with unlimited jumping in general as long as bunny hopping doesn't happen. Bunny hopping is an issue in itself. Unlimited jumping isn't an issue at all as long as the two stay separate somehow.

Well what you explained was someone hacking lol so ya.

Ozek - DAOC

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    I can get behind jumping costing stamina.  You shouldn't be locked to the ground, but people that just jump around the entire time you are fighting should be given an incentive to knock it off.  It is the equivalent of someone loudly talking on their cell phone right behind you at dinner.  It doesn't stop you from eating, but it does annoy the hell out of you.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

There's more veteran DAoC players against spam jumping IN COMBAT that's usually incorporated in some form of "strategy" as seen in WoW (and a few other games) than players that actually want jumping while in combat.

I have no issue with someone jumping around in down time, but there should be penalties or "jump strategies" shouldn't be a viable "tactic".  It has nothing to do with not being able to adapt to recently released combat engines or being dinosaur rpg gamers.

Both of those are blantant lies.

dynamicipftw is a blantant bunny hopper.  You are right, though.. it's a complete lie that more veteran DAoC players are against jump spamming in combat than those that are for it.  That's why the majority of this thread describes how annoying it is to fight someone that does it and solutions to prevent it from occuring in Camelot Unchained.

/shrug

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• Daimonion69Daimonion69 Member Posts: 29

An alternative solution would be a 1 sec GCD after jumping. You need a good stand to swing a sword or an axe.

That would at least prevent bunnying in combat.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

The solution, IMO, is that characters should suffer a 50% chance to critically fumble after two consecutive jumps within two to three seconds.  Critical fumbles mean that the player fails to deal damage and takes additional time before their next attack.  That way, it doesn't remove the option.. but certainly punishes players that do it.

That should outright cure the hopping bunny syndrome coming from WoW and games.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Pretty sure MJ said you would be in place like you are in DAOC when casting and also using moves. You won't be able to bunny hop around.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• PewpsockemzPewpsockemz Member Posts: 49
    What about no jumping? I couldn't image a knight in some of the heaviest armor jumping at all.
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

Can you list some MMOs with limited jumping (except GW1)? I honestly never heard of this idea and it sounds extremely dumb.

EQ cost stamina when you jumped. Quite a bit too. Think after like 6 jumps, you were out of stamina. No stamina was bad for fighting, hehe. Forgot exactly how, just knew that for a while, people were need stam recovering spells cast on them just from combat over extended periods of time, so jumping in combat, especially bunny hopping was way out of the question.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Pretty sure MJ said you would be in place like you are in DAOC when casting and also using moves. You won't be able to bunny hop around.

Good to hear. Jumping didn't interrupt casting in daoc.