Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls or....Drumroll....

Elder Scrolls or......................drumroll........Camelot Unchained!

As a Dark Age of Camelot fan ( which many say have the best PVP EVER),  I would love to see RvR  actually done correctly!

So in the name of RvR, which game will produce a PvP system to match the greatness of DAoC?

What do you guys think? Keep in mind that we have two of the CoFounders of  DAoC working on these projects.

Matt Firor (Elder Scrolls Online)                or                  Mark Jacobs (Camelot Unchained)

Also I know many of you may not have heard of Camelot Unchained so here is a link to their "Foundational Principles" http://citystateentertainment.com/camelotunchained/

The information is below the Video.

Comments

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

I think people who are interested in DAOC style RVR should be playing DAOC...

I like the direction both developers are taking.  For example, ESO and the faction lock, which is essential for a healthy RVR system.  Also, CU is absolutely correct to deprecate PVE in order to make a more complete PVP experience.

It's WAY too early to predict who will be better, but if I was more of a PVP gamer; I would choose CU.

On the other hand, I would give up PVP altogether for a great Elder Scrolls RPG experience.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    People would have to be living under a rock, or be first time visitors to these forums to not have heard about CU, it's had more than a dozen new threads in the past week or so alone.

Regardless, I will go with TESO, as it is more likely to deliver an integrated PVE side to the RVR which I believe was very important to the success of DAOC.

I don't believe the RVR side can stand alone and appeal to more than a niche audience. (in the case of CU.)

This isn't a bad thing

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BrohimeBrohime Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    People would have to be living under a rock, or be first time visitors to these forums to not have heard about CU, it's had more than a dozen new threads in the past week or so alone.

Haha, I guess that is true. For some reason I took it for granted that CU was just kind of unheard of.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Camelot Unchained for me because I'm just really tired of the them park scene. I think TESO will be failing so hard after 6 months people will come to Camelot Unchained or another mmo looking for a different experience.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

ESO: 99.99% chance of being released

CU: 5% chance of being released

2 million kickstarter for a PvP only, feature light MMORPG.  probably not going to happen.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Camelot? hmm...

Better MMO in theory/half built: http://trialsofascension.com/home

Better MMO in production:  http://www.embersofcaerus.com/content.php

Better MMO close to closed beta: http://albiononline.com

I rest my case (also TESO can go jump in a lake of lava, I'd rather play Skyrim Online mod).

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Brohime

As a Dark Age of Camelot fan ( which many say have the best PVP EVER),  I would love to see RvR  actually done correctly!

So in the name of RvR, which game will produce a PvP system to match the greatness of DAoC?

What do you guys think? Keep in mind that we have two of the CoFounders of  DAoC working on these projects.

Matt Firor (Elder Scrolls Online)                or                  Mark Jacobs (Camelot Unchained)

Also I know many of you may not have heard of Camelot Unchained so here is a link to their "Foundational Principles" http://citystateentertainment.com/camelotunchained/

Interesting ...

Why not both? CU isnt coming out for another 2-4 years....

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by General_Dru-Zod

Elder Scrolls or......................drumroll........Camelot Unchained! As a Dark Age of Camelot fan ( which many say have the best PVP EVER),  I would love to see RvR  actually done correctly! So in the name of RvR, which game will produce a PvP system to match the greatness of DAoC? What do you guys think? Keep in mind that we have two of the CoFounders of  DAoC working on these projects. Matt Firor (Elder Scrolls Online)                or                  Mark Jacobs (Camelot Unchained)   Also I know many of you may not have heard of Camelot Unchained so here is a link to their "Foundational Principles" http://citystateentertainment.com/camelotunchained/ The information is below the Video.  

Interesting ...

Why not both? CU isnt coming out for another 2-4 years....

This.

Don't need to chose between them, both are coming out years apart.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I will play both. Obviously TESO will be out first, so hopefully it's good enough to hold me over till CU
  • Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    the one coming out in the next 3 years.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    the one coming out in the next 3 years.

Or the one which may never be coming out :D

What's the point of this question? When the game releases, we will see how good it is. I haven't played any of these two games, how would I know?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206

I'm just happy that there is a trend towards RvR nowadays. I just hope they don't repeat GW2's mistakes.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Not to rain on your parade or sound like a TESO fanboi but CU isn't even funded yet. they are a indie developer (yes i know MJ is leading it but the company itself is indie) who will try to get funded by kickstarter sometime this month. They have not even started working on the game past theory crafting, (at this point CU is just slightly more then vaporware. Lots of ideas no actual developement.)

So your looking at a good 4-7 year wait if ever for CU vs this year for TESO

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Seeing elder scroll is coming from an AAA dev team i would expect it not to stray to far from the standards of WoW clones, dont get me wrong it could stray from that path we are cming up to the time of much needed change.

Camalot on the other hand is coming from a smaller company so we can expect it to be different from WoW standards we have nowadays.

I havant been following either game a great deal but what ive seen are AAA dev games dont tend to take much in the way of Risks so they usually somewaht similar to eachother with a few feature that differ from each game, these games are generaly polished and better graphics. Smaller company games cant pull off the high end graphics that AAA devs can dur to budget so they tend to try and make there games different than whats currently on the market to set themself appart.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by winter

Not to rain on your parade or sound like a TESO fanboi but CU isn't even funded yet. they are a indie developer (yes i know MJ is leading it but the company itself is indie) who will try to get funded by kickstarter sometime this month. They have not even started working on the game past theory crafting, (at this point CU is just slightly more then vaporware. Lots of ideas no actual developement.)

4-7 years for a MMO without PvE? ridiculous. MJ said kickstarter backers will be playing the beta in 2014 already.(24/7 beta, not just few weekends)

Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    Originally posted by winter

4-7 years for a MMO without PvE? ridiculous. MJ said kickstarter backers will be playing the beta in 2014 already.(24/7 beta, not just few weekends)

Well there is that (no PVE) So no monsters, no dungeons to build etc. Just PVP towns. Sounds to me a bit like PS2 with swords. If they make it very limited its possible the beta will start in 2014. (assuming they can make their 2 million dollar kickstarter goal.)

One of my favorite parts of DAoC was Darkness falls. Sadly with no PVE CU won't have dungeons like that to fight over

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Camelot Unchained is not really a full MMO. No PvE areas, no dungeons. 1/2 of what made DAoC so magic will not be in Camelot Unchained. ESO will be bringing back open world dungeons, one of the gems from DAoC. Camelot Unchained will be tiny in scope and vision. 

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

2 million kickstarter for a PvP only, feature light MMORPG.  probably not going to happen.

I think you're drastically undershooting it by saying 5%. A TON of people are very excited for CU and also looking for a game like what MJ is describing. I'd venture as far as saying it probably IS going to happen, but either way 5% is WAY too low. You just sound biased.

Originally posted by collekt
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

I think you're drastically undershooting it by saying 5%. A TON of people are very excited for CU and also looking for a game like what MJ is describing. I'd venture as far as saying it probably IS going to happen, but either way 5% is WAY too low. You just sound biased.

Not really, kickstarter means they dont even have the money they need to make the game. Right now they are an idea and trying to make buzz so when they open the kickstar for the game, they hope to get what they need. I have seen just as many people say they hate the idea or wont back Mark as I have seen people say they look forward to it. I have seen very few say "Im going to kickstart this game" Are you?

• BrohimeBrohime Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Camelot Unchained is not really a full MMO. No PvE areas, no dungeons. 1/2 of what made DAoC so magic will not be in Camelot Unchained. ESO will be bringing back open world dungeons, one of the gems from DAoC. Camelot Unchained will be tiny in scope and vision. 

Open World Dungeons are not out of question by the way. Very possible that there is a world area where people could fight over rare crafting materials.

Open World Dungeons are not out of question by the way. Very possible that there is a world area where people could fight over rare crafting materials.

All interviews would point to not gona happen. 

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by BitterClinger

Would if I could. But the DAoC everyone loved no longer exists.

Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by BitterClinger

Would if I could. But the DAoC everyone loved no longer exists.

I am sure the game would sport a large population if they had kept updating the game over chucking all eggs in the Warhammer basket. Sad to say, DAoC has not gotten much dev love in a long long time and is really out of date. 

Dungeons tend to imply  monsters and PVE MJ has at least for now ruled out PVE, so while there will probably be mines or resource nodes to fight over for control there will not be open world dungeons like Darkness falls in DAoC. (enless of course the vision changes and it IS early enough that that could happen but such a change would require alot more work and funding, so rather unlikely to happen.)

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I'm sure CU will be a fine game and I may even play it but I am more interested in ESO for several reasons:

1. PvE progression
    2. Exploration centric gameplay
    3. Freedom of character gear management via using any weapon and any armor in game.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!