Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please make CU jumping...

MidHealerMidHealer Member Posts: 15

...cost stamina, just like sprinting. On top of that, maybe add a slight delay after, say, second or third jump. Alternatively, instead of a delay, allow jumping only on keypress, but no automatic key repeat.

Having people jump around the whole time is really annoying, and being able to do it by simply pressing and holding a button only encourages it.

It would be nice if jumping would cost a sizeable chunk of stamina (for example, 10-20%), so you could still jump (and multiple times too, if needed), but can't simply press button and jump indefinitely. 

After all, sprinting, pulling bowstring or weapon swinging all cost stamina (great concept there, by the way, please keep stamina separate from power in CU!), and jumping should be no different, in my humble opinion.

Birger, Galahad, Healer
Midgard forever

Comments

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    As someone playing Morrowind right now (the graphics/gameplay mods really make it decent by the way) I completly agree.  I love how in morrowind my guy can't cast spells or hit successfully when tired.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• falcukfalcuk Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by MidHealer

...cost stamina, just like sprinting. On top of that, maybe add a slight delay after, say, second or third jump. Alternatively, instead, of a delay, allow jumping only on keypress, but no automatic key repeat.

Having people jump around the whole time is really annoying, and being able to do it by simply pressing and holding a button only encourages it.

It would be nice if jumping would cost a sizeable chunk of stamina (for example, 10-20%), so you could still jump (and multiple times too, if needed), but can't simply press button and jump indefinately. 

After all, sprinting, pulling bowstring or weapon swinging all cost stamina (great concept there, by the way, please keep stamina separate from power in CU!), and jumping should be no different, in my humble opinion.

+1 for sure, Bunnyhopping is a huge bugbear of mine, its retarded

• BrohallaBrohalla Member Posts: 11

I tend to agree with the 'holding button down jumping', but I wonder why people are annoyed with this? It serves no purpose, doesn't make the target harder to hit/target (it increases it imho) and makes a target more visible from long range.

Is it just the visual annoyance?

_Back in DaoC!_

Originally posted by Teh_Axi
    Originally posted by Brohalla

[mod edit]

Despite your sad attempt at humor, its immersion breaking for one, every film you ever see of knights and whatnot fighting on a field you dont see tons of peopel running around jumping up and down waving weapons, you'd die in seconds if you did.

So imo it has no place in mmo's, especially PVP / RVR ones.

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by falcuk

[mod edit]

Despite your sad attempt at humor, its immersion breaking for one, every film you ever see of knights and whatnot fighting on a field you dont see tons of peopel running around jumping up and down waving weapons, you'd die in seconds if you did.

So imo it has no place in mmo's, especially PVP / RVR ones.

in the movie 300 you see lots of jumping, and 6 pack abs. Mostly the 6 pack abs distracts everyone from the jumping but it's there.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

Theres a distinct difference between say the scene out of Troy where Brad Pitt jumps and sticks his sword thru the dudes neck, and some moron hopping around your screen because he's an annoying twat lol.

So yeah your right, jumping is fine if its an animation tied to an offensive maneuvre, just hopping around for the sake of it is not imo :)

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by falcuk

knights and whatnot 

whatnots eh, that covers a pretty wide spectrum of things.

I wasn't trying to be funny either, just stating a fact.

• MidHealerMidHealer Member Posts: 15

[mod edit]

Sad attempt to offend notwithstanding, what exactly is the problem with jumping costing 10-20% of stamina bar?

Jumping around with 20, 30 or 60 pounds of armour and weapons equipped is a very tiring physical feat, so it should cost stamina, just like sprinting or using styles with weapons does (and rightfully so).

[mod edit]

Birger, Galahad, Healer
    Midgard forever

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    [mod edit]

I fail to see how it's a terrible suggestion, you ever play a game with bunny hopping?

It's annoying, loos extremely out of place, and needs to be balanced.

Making it cost stamina, having an animation that makes it slower once you try to do it again, etc is the quickest way to help stop hopping in combat and such.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Stiler
    [mod edit]

I fail to see how it's a terrible suggestion, you ever play a game with bunny hopping?

Making it cost stamina, having an animation that makes it slower once you try to do it again, etc is the quickest way to help stop hopping in combat and such.

Yeah, constantly jumping in a PvP game is absolutely retarded and makes the player look it even more so.  I'm sorry, but if someone won't stop jumping in my group, I'll ask nicely the first time and the second equals a kick from the group.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    [mod edit]

Did you play GW1? I wanted to slit my throat after a while. It was the #1 complaint in that game.

Many players enjoy jumping around. 

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397

Why is this an issue lol

Why is jumping so bad? you're standing around at a keep bored to all hell, who cares if someones jumping around with their character, you don't have to, doesn't hurt anyone. The fact it annoys you is not a valid reason to exclude it from the game. Sounds like you have a small case of OCD that you should talk to someone about.

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by Niix_Ozek

Why is this an issue lol

Why is jumping so bad? you're standing around at a keep bored to all hell, who cares if someones jumping around with their character, you don't have to, doesn't hurt anyone. The fact it annoys you is not a valid reason to exclude it from the game. Sounds like you have a small case of OCD that you should talk to someone about.

Except they will do it DURING COMBat, when people are fighrting, to confuse people/try to lose sight of them. It's absurd not only by looks but mechanics.

you ever play any type of mutliplayer game with unlimited jumping ?

• Daimonion69Daimonion69 Member Posts: 29

I totally agree, that jumping needs to be restricted. Endurance consuming seems to be perfect.

So far i saw no agrument pro unlimited jumping.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    I dont care either way, jumping doesnt bother me or make anyone more harder to kill. It's just a game after all, the whole wearin plate armor etc. doesnt matter really in this game seems like its goal is just RVR obviously not realistic sandbox type of game.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• infiiinfii Member Posts: 9

I don't get this discussion either.

People in favor of unlimited jumping get offended and angry for no reason but on the other hand are not bringing up any arguments.

It doesn't bother me all that much, but it seems logical to me that jumping should be restricted to a certain amount...

Originally posted by infii

I don't get this discussion either.

People in favor of unlimited jumping get offended and angry for no reason but on the other hand are not bringing up any arguments.

It doesn't bother me all that much, but it seems logical to me that jumping should be restricted to a certain amount...

Here's an argument: The only MMO (as far as I know) that didn't have jumping was GW1. The #1 issue for the vast majority of players in GW1 was not being able to jump. You are a teeny tiny (but vocal) minority. It's time to retire this thread to discuss important things tbh.

• Kryptonite_HiloKryptonite_Hilo Member Posts: 47

Aside from the part where someone constantly jumping is annoying to witness, it's extra sucky because you can't just go over and push them down like you could in real life.

It would be kinda cool strategically if you had to have endurance to jump. If a kiting healer has endurance and can jump over the log in front on him but the tank following him and swinging his axe doesn't have the endo to do the same would effectively work as a self-peel. I'd be down for that.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

Here's an argument: The only MMO (as far as I know) that didn't have jumping was GW1. The #1 issue for the vast majority of players in GW1 was not being able to jump. You are a teeny tiny (but vocal) minority. It's time to retire this thread to discuss important things tbh.

There's more veteran DAoC players against spam jumping IN COMBAT that's usually incorporated in some form of "strategy" as seen in WoW (and a few other games) than players that actually want jumping while in combat.

I have no issue with someone jumping around in down time, but there should be penalties or "jump strategies" shouldn't be a viable "tactic".  It has nothing to do with not being able to adapt to recently released combat engines or being dinosaur rpg gamers.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

There's more veteran DAoC players against spam jumping IN COMBAT that's usually incorporated in some form of "strategy" as seen in WoW (and a few other games) than players that actually want jumping while in combat.

I have no issue with someone jumping around in down time, but there should be penalties or "jump strategies" shouldn't be a viable "tactic".  It has nothing to do with not being able to adapt to recently released combat engines or being dinosaur rpg gamers.

Both of those are blantant lies.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660
    <>

There's a difference between being able to jump and being able to bunny hop all over during combat. CU needs jumping in general, because it is annoying for an mmo to not have jumping (just like it was annoying in GW1). CU does not need bunny hopping in combat. CU needs jump restrictions so you cannot jump excessively during combat. Maybe once or twice if you need to jump for some reason in combat (like you need to jump through that window or jump over that bush or creek), but we should not see toons jumping over and over and over again. It is stupid and looks ridiculous.

I don't think jumping should be tied at all to endurance. Endurance should be its own bar/meter for whatever it is used for. Jumping can have it's own restriction, such as: you can jump the first time whenever, but you cannot jump a second time until at least 5 seconds after the first time. If you jump a second time within 5-10 seconds of the first time, then you can't jump again for at least 15 seconds after the second jump. This is just an example, but the "restriction" on jumping needs to be localized to jumping and not interfere with other bars such as mana and endurance.

Originally posted by Jimmac
    <>

There's a difference between being able to jump and being able to bunny hop all over during combat. CU needs jumping in general, because it is annoying for an mmo to not have jumping (just like it was annoying in GW1). CU does not need bunny hopping in combat. CU needs jump restrictions so you cannot jump excessively during combat. Maybe once or twice if you need to jump for some reason in combat (like you need to jump through that window or jump over that bush or creek), but we should not see toons jumping over and over and over again. It is stupid and looks ridiculous.

I don't think jumping should be tied at all to endurance. Endurance should be its own bar/meter for whatever it is used for. Jumping can have it's own restriction, such as: you can just the first time whenever, but you cannoy jump a second time until at least 5 seconds after the first time. If you jump a second time within 5-10 seconds of the first time, then you can't jump again for at least 15 seconds after the second jump. This is just an example, but the "restriction" on jumping needs to be localized to jumping and not interfere with other bars such as mana and endurance.

Can you list some MMOs with limited jumping (except GW1)? I honestly never heard of this idea and it sounds extremely dumb.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660
    <>

Can you list some MMOs with limited jumping (except GW1)? I honestly never heard of this idea and it sounds extremely dumb.

I don't know if I can or not. Maybe. Why would it matter what other mmo's do? Have you ever played a pvp game that had bunny hopping? It is terrible and everyone complains about it when bunny hopping is possible and happens.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I hope instead of "sprint" they change it to a fast bunny-hop. That would make me laugh and laugh.

Almost as much as hearing a comunity that on the whole speaks out against RP, claim "excessive jumping is immersion breaking.".

Keep it up guys, keep it up.

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Niix_Ozek

Why is this an issue lol

Except they will do it DURING COMBat, when people are fighrting, to confuse people/try to lose sight of them. It's absurd not only by looks but mechanics.

you ever play any type of mutliplayer game with unlimited jumping ?

I played DAOC for many many years and the issue is not jumping, jumping solved nothing to "confused people / try to lose sight of them" you could run through all day long without jumping and have the same affect.

So in short, jumping wasn't ever "the" problem and the fact it annoys you proves you arn't paying attention to real issues.

[mod edit]

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked