Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Graphics Matter?

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Dimsum1337

Personally I would like to see the graphics reflect the long term goals of the game. While on the one hand... locking out players in the beggining with high spec rig requirements may seem unfair the upside of squeezing out a few more years on the backend could be definetely something i could get behind (I have a good rig, yes).

On the other hand, it can result in a game that never gets any popularity at all (remember Vanguard?)

Not in the company's best interest to spec for 2% of the market, at all.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ConquestorConquestor Member Posts: 15

I will tell you one thing, that I always liked about DAOC was I felt like I "was my character" and graphics had alot to do with it. At the time, DAOC had very good graphics, now if you load it up you are like "holy crap this is bad ".  When WOW came out and I started playing it I felt like I was in a cartoon, and just couldnt get into it because of that. I never felt good about WAR or Rift either. None of them appealed to me to make me feel like I was the character I was playing. SWTOR I think hit it on the head with graphics and perspective and overall fantasy.

I hope CU will continue that same graphics model and build on the graphics of DAOC, yet with a much more updated feel.

• Daimonion69Daimonion69 Member Posts: 29

imho that should be a realistic quality (for a 2015+) game. and i also like the style of this one.

Which game is that?
  • Daimonion69Daimonion69 Member Posts: 29

Thats Dragon Age 2.

Dont "BOOOH!" at me, its just about the "look and feel". ;)

Originally posted by Daimonion69

Thats Dragon Age 2.

Dont "BOOOH!" at me, its just about the "look and feel". ;)

Damn I LOVED Dragon Age..  I hear from friends DA2 is unplayable and they got ride of all the stuff that made DA1 so great. But yes the graphics for a 2015 game will have to be up there.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Yes. It's not 2005 or 2008. The game needs to look at least a little better than DAOC and WAR. But it also can't have such great graphics that you need a $5,000 computer to get good framerates during huge fights.

+1

+1

I self identify as a monkey.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yes they do. Systems, and performance matter much more though.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • siphonzsiphonz Member Posts: 9
    Gogo DAoC graphics and I'm a happy camper..I'm not a fan of a lot of the "better" graphic engines these days. besides, I would rather not have to deal with the lag!

** Camelot-Unchained.net **

http://camelot-unchained.net CU's first unofficial discussion forum geared towards the CU fans only.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Brohime

Will graphics be important to you for Camelot Unchained?

If so what kind of graphics would you like to see? would it be more DAoC style? WoW style? Warhammer style? 

There are only two styles I really love: wow cartoony style and gw2 realistic style. Rift has also great deal of realism and will for sure love Wildstar for other style. :-)

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

i dont want high graphics i want aesthetics !

only MMO so far who pay attention on aesthetics is GW2 sadly it is just a theme park which i dunno how much it will keep me interested to this ...

but playing in ugly and dull worlds like WoW or SWtoR is huge turn off for me...

• HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69

Sadly the graphics are dependent on what game engine they use.  The ones currently out for MMO games are not very visually appearing without removing fast game play daoc was known for.  If they decide to go the long route with making on engine, they can do good.  I don't see that though with limited budget.

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

Graphics matter in so far as they don't take away from large scale (100's of players) battles.

That's more of the macro scale.

On the micro scale, I liked being able to dye every single piece of my armor in DAOC. Was very socially immersive to coordinate colors with my guild. Worked for realm pride too, in as much as particular gruops were recognized instantly by their cloaks/shields/emblems/colors.

Beyond that, I liked the style look of daoc/war way more than more modern cartoony style looks.

I like the dark, dank, creepy, modly, cobwebs, mystical, mysterious  vibe certain graphics give.

In wow I felt like I was in a childrens cartoon on cartoon network or nickelodian.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    As long as it's graphically on par with GW2 or WoW, I'm fine with it.
  • alexisevicalexisevic Member Posts: 41

Yes, this game needs to have good graphics, and what I think most important is developing ambiance through good lighting and shadows.  Check out  these screenshots of mine of Skyrim with RealVision.  It doesn't get more immersive then that.  While I don't think CU will be able to get quite that level of fidelity, I think they should strive for something very close to that look and feel.

• gregoryvggregoryvg Member Posts: 35
    Honestly, I think people who expect CU graphics to be at or near Skyrim or GW2 quality, even two years from now, are going to be severely dissapointed.  This is a game with a total budget of ~$5M.  The budget of Skyrim and GW2 was probably between $50-100M.  In order to support battles between hundreds of players at once and large keeps to fight over expect something less than state of the art.  It takes a lot of manpower to create all those textures and character animation you see in the latest and greatest game.  
  • InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Played UO:R around 7 years so graphics doesn't matter to me really. Gameplay does.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Crazy graphics...no, but decent, and not looking like a school project is good.

I would prefer 2D over very horrible 3D.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

>=GW2

<=WoW

and I can handle something like that. but at least have nice smooth combat and nice animations like WoW and GW2 both have.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• madmossymadmossy Member Posts: 9
    Personally I don't care about graphics, as long as you can have several hundred people on screen at keep seiges and it not be a slide show.
  • HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by madmossy
    Personally I don't care about graphics, as long as you can have several hundred people on screen at keep seiges and it not be a slide show.

yep. I don't want stick drawings though :P

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

• madmossymadmossy Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by OgreRaper
    As long as it's graphically on par with GW2 or WoW, I'm fine with it.

So basically your asking for a modern miracle, neither of the above games can cope with hundreds on screen without frame rate issues or invisible characters.

I'd be happy with GW2 graphics on low settings for CU, but only if it can handle hundreds on screen for keep/castle raids. In saying that though the budget for the game is only $5m so it is unlikely that the graphics will be that spectacular and certainly not on par with the likes of modern MMO's which have budgets in excess of $50m.

• alexisevicalexisevic Member Posts: 41

Don't most older MMOs use a DX9 implementation?  Planetside 2 did this as well and it bit them in the ass as DX9 is esentially single threaded, meaning in order to get more performance gains you need to have higher clock speeds instead of more cores.  

Hopefully CU will use a DX11 implementation and not use technology that is 15 years old at release.

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    yes and no, but what will help a game succed ITS GOTTA HAVE CONTENT AND FEATURES!!!!!!!! then graphics.
  • BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

Graphics in a game are like a good looking woman...

can look so damn hot, doesnt mean it is fun to play with :P

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR