Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: There’s a Storm Brewing

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet is committed to giving its players a living, breathing story to enjoy. In our latest Guild Wars 2 column, we take a look at Flame & Frost from inception to the most current update. Be warned: Spoilers live within! Read on if you dare before heading to the comments.

The plot thickens in Guild Wars 2, as the Flame and Frost storyline goes into the second act.  ArenaNet expands the Living Story, creating new challenges for players, and breathing more life into the world of Tyria. The first chapter in the Flame and Frost storyline kicked off last month revealing a dark shadow in the northern part of the world.  Act 2 continues offering some answers, but leaving more questions. 

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: There’s a Storm Brewing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Way too long in between advancement of story, and way too little given to get invested in. Could care less about them refuges.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Way too long in between advancement of story, and way too little given to get invested in. Could care less about them refuges.

It has been less than a month for the original patch - how fast do you want thengs to eveolve? If it is too fast, people complain, too slow people complain. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Originally posted by botrytis

It has been less than a month for the original patch - how fast do you want thengs to eveolve? If it is too fast, people complain, too slow people complain. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

um, faster than hey this month you get to run along path and fix signs, next month you get to kill a few enemies coming out a portal. I havent heard a single complaint of it being too fast. Only just when the fuck its going to progress into actual, you know, story.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

um, faster than hey this month you get to run along path and fix signs, next month you get to kill a few enemies coming out a portal. I havent heard a single complaint of it being too fast. Only just when the fuck its going to progress into actual, you know, story.

They want to do testing, etc. Each time they release something like this, they have a chance to interfere with something else. Better to be slow than break everything. An MMO like this is a very complicated beast.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Some people will never be happy. I for one am enjoying the slow story build up. BTW good content takes time.

They want to do testing, etc. Each time they release something like this, they have a chance to interfere with something else. Better to be slow than break everything. An MMO like this is a very complicated beast.

Irrelevant to topic. I dont care whats going on in the background when someone is telling me a story. They dont stop my plays because "Hey, we didnt practice this yet, give us a bit". Id leave. Even granny told me a story everynight, and not a couple lines from the first paragraph.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Irrelevant to topic. I dont care whats going on in the background when someone is telling me a story. They dont stop my plays because "Hey, we didnt practice this yet, give us a bit". Id leave. Even granny told me a story everynight, and not a couple lines from the first paragraph.

Very relavent to the topic. Remember, they used to tell stories as serials, Like Flash Gordon, The Lone Ranger, The Green Hornet, etc. It is a way to tell a story also. Don't like it? Don't play the game....

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Obviously Toxia is comparing it to all the other MMOs that also do a living a story better and faster,.....err......wait.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Very relavent to the topic. Remember, they used to tell stories as serials, Like Flash Gordon, The Lone Ranger, The Green Hornet, etc. It is a way to tell a story also. Don't like it? Don't play the game....

Wow, gunna knight it up with serials as an example? And then throw in the good ole don't play it if i dont like it. Well hell, you know, im not playing it. Not because of their shitty storytelling though. Much more serious problems going on. Would be off topic. Thread asked for opinions, think i was just giving mine. You dont like it, don't reply, sir knight.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by rodingo

Obviously Toxia is comparing it to all the other MMOs that also do a living a story better and faster,.....err......wait.

Living story content is done already. They are 'trying a new  way of telling it' dude. So yes, all those other mmo's that give you a story at a time and not hold back just for the sake of it, would be faster and in my opinion better.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Wow, gunna knight it up with serials as an example? And then throw in the good ole don't play it if i dont like it. Well hell, you know, im not playing it. Not because of their shitty storytelling though. Much more serious problems going on. Would be off topic. Thread asked for opinions, think i was just giving mine. You dont like it, don't reply, sir knight.

They have to tell a story this way. The only way you can patch things. Can't continually tell a new story - what if some players haven't seen it yet. It does happen.

Serials is an old a dear way to tell a story - gets many people pumped up for the next part. I do know, wt the same time, people just want to get on with it.

Not saying anything more than that really - I wish it would move quicker but HEY - it is not my game I am writing.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Not enjoying it at all. They're releasing new content that takes two minutes to complete then we wait a month to see the new stuff. Meanwhile everything that's wrong with three weakest classes is ignored, every patch includes a new nerf, every patch puts more bugs into the game some of which never get fixed, and the game continues to barely function while they spend money on advertising instead of more krewe to fix the glaring problems with this game.
  • volvoxaureusvolvoxaureus Member Posts: 27

• SplorkiusSplorkius Member UncommonPosts: 1

Also there are some Consortium at the refugee camp in Lion's Arch that say they are planning to make a settlement for the refugees at Southsun Cove. Hopefully that map will get more love. Currently not really anything to do there.

Originally posted by itgrowls
    Not enjoying it at all. They're releasing new content that takes two minutes to complete then we wait a month to see the new stuff. Meanwhile everything that's wrong with three weakest classes is ignored, every patch includes a new nerf, every patch puts more bugs into the game some of which never get fixed, and the game continues to barely function while they spend money on advertising instead of more krewe to fix the glaring problems with this game.

I gib yew all my internets.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Living story content is done already. They are 'trying a new  way of telling it' dude. So yes, all those other mmo's that give you a story at a time and not hold back just for the sake of it, would be faster and in my opinion better.

Mind giving some examples that were done better/faster?  Not saying there aren't any, ... but the only other MMO I have heard of that tried something similar was MXO.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

How may I ask is it even a living a story? The only reason it's a living story is because they do a little at time instead of finishing it like most developers do at once. It's just their way of being lazy and people are ignorantly swallowing it up like it's the best thing in the world.

I was an avid supporter of Guild Wars 2 but lately their story has seemed weak at best It has been done in such a way that it can be put into the world of GW2 in a lazy fashion. Just a little tibit after tidbit. This isn't a "living" story. It can't even properly be defined as a story considering it's not completed.

Smile

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Definately not a strong point of the game. I m starting to lose interest in GW2 rapidly. Well actually I did awhile ago, but keep fiddling with it. WvW lame update, now this, hehe not great content IMO.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    [mod edit]
    in 2 days 5.2 ... 
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by volvoxaureus
    in 2 days 5.2 ... 

What is 5.2?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    in 2 days 5.2 ... 

What is 5.2?

WoW patch. No idea why it's relevent to this thread but it's not somthing i'd go back to WoW for.

why would someone even bring up wow 5.2 in this thread? If people want to play wow they would be playing it and not GW2 . There is about zero similiarity to wow here.
    you mist my point, i want to see a patch in gw2 like 5.2  patch for wow, but if arenanet is going to do that patch it will be a paid expansion 

you mist my point, i want to see a patch in gw2 like 5.2  patch for wow, but if arenanet is going to do that patch it will be a paid expansion 

okay ill bite , you are correct guild wars 2 patches are not large patches by a long shot I can agree . But lets be real here to , wows patches suck to and are by far not even that big , look at games like Rift and EQ2 if you want large patches. What you get in wow is more dailies a raid and some new land mass to do more dailies on for factions to earn more rep and well lets see do more raiding of that one new raid , that will be nurfed in about 3 or 4 months when the next raid comes.

I played wow for years , their patches are far from quality and they finally just now have actually started releasing them on a schedule instead of when they are finished attitude devoiding players of content for months. I remember during cata they released the dragon soul raid and we didnt see ONE update to the game at all for at LEAST 7 months....  Id much rather have content updates that are smaller every month than have to wait two and three months for one big patch that you can burn through the content in a week.