Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P sandbox

rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244

i was woundering is there a good F2P sandbox?

Comments

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by Robokapp

how do you define f2p ?

does eve plex system qualify ? if it doesnt, then no. nothing fully hits "good", "f2p" and "sandbox".

i just dont want to pay sub fee

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Mortal Online is f2p to a point.. but its a very niche game and takes a bit to get used to..

Yes it had bugs still but the core of the game its pretty fun if your into yout hardcore PVP full loot sandbox games... if your not then stay well away.

f2p is limited in the fact that your skills are limitied to 60 or wahtever so you will not be competative in top end pvp.. tho you will be able to help out in group pvp..

f2p and sandbox dont usually go togeather..

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    http://albiononline.com is the only one I know for sure will be F2P and is at least on the horizon.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Age of Wushu is a themepark game.. who go from area to area doing quests for your lvl.. or am i missing somthing..

It does have an open PVP system tho

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    No your're right age of wushu is a themepark game.  the person who posted that just doesnt know what hes talking about.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • cottonhillcottonhill Member Posts: 15
    AoW is not a themepark game. It has a set of storyline quests, and a set of school quests. Both of those are pretty short and once they're done, you're left to your own devices to figure out what the hell to do with yourself.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Ryzom. And fallen earth is kinda sandy

oh let's not forget the greatest sandbox:  hello kitty online

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by cottonhill
    AoW is not a themepark game. It has a set of storyline quests, and a set of school quests. Both of those are pretty short and once they're done, you're left to your own devices to figure out what the hell to do with yourself.

It isn't a sandbox, at best it is a sandpark, if you think you have that many choices in AoW may I suggest playing Minecraft a bit to get an idea what a sandbox is?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Dihoru

It isn't a sandbox, at best it is a sandpark, if you think you have that many choices in AoW may I suggest playing Minecraft a bit to get an idea what a sandbox is?

That's a great game to use as an example because I don't think many of the people that want a sandbox game ever really take into consideration anything other than their own ability to do things in game world. It seems they forget how quickly that becomes an undesirable design when they consider that others can do the same, too.

Imagine Skyrim as an MMO?

You set up a massive festival and in the middle of the guest of honor's speech some dude goes running across the tables kicking the food and glass everywhere, or takes the shorter path and kicks off a nice FUS RO DAH at the end of the table, sending tablewear and wheels of cheese flying at the speaker?

Or a guild outing getting hosed by some guy leading dragons to the area?

Setting up a nice shop but no one comes by because of the four people regularly emoting copulation in front of your building?

For some, that sounds AWESOME. For others that's just horrible.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

That's a great game to use as an example because I don't think many of the people that want a sandbox game ever really take into consideration anything other than their own ability to do things in game world. It seems they forget how quickly that becomes an undesirable design when they consider that others can do the same, too.

You set up a massive festival and in the middle of the guest of honor's speech some dude goes running across the tables kicking the food and glass everywhere, or takes the shorter path and kicks off a nice FUS RO DAH at the end of the table, sending tablewear and wheels of cheese flying at the speaker?

Setting up a nice shop but no one comes by because of the four people regularly emoting copulation in front of your building?

Ooooh baby... talk dirty like that some more.. -shudders-

Speaking seriously though I prefer virtual worlds not ego boosters with skinner box mechanics, certainly the worlds need some structure in terms of gameplay but the devs should just give you a world, some tools and leave it up to players to get their satisfaction.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Ooooh baby... talk dirty like that some more.. -shudders-

Speaking seriously though I prefer virtual worlds not ego boosters with skinner box mechanics, certainly the worlds need some structure in terms of gameplay but the devs should just give you a world, some tools and leave it up to players to get their satisfaction.

My preference, as well. Very hard to do as F2P, though, because money is the easiest way to make sure the player has some skin in the game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    i would say best really F2P sandbox i can think of is haven & hearth
    Originally posted by time007
    No your're right age of wushu is a themepark game.  the person who posted that just doesnt know what hes talking about.

Perhaps sandbox is a bit of a stretch  but it's not a themepark, i would say it's a hybrid MMO.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Perhaps sandbox is a bit of a stretch  but it's not a themepark, i would say it's a hybrid MMO.

I think the problem is people trying to lump all MMO's into two categories, one of which hardly anyone agrees on the makings of.

As for the Op, give Vanguard a go if you're looking for an MMo with a bit of an open feel and more meat on it's bones than your typical modern MMO.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

what sandbox features does it have?

I really have not got past the quest part of the game myself as it was just bad so i really dont know whats beyond that.

Is it just PVP?

Can you build houses and clan cities?

Is everything in game player crafted?

any territory control ?

IF it truly is a sandbox i might have to give it another shot and work past the bad parts of the game..

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Haven't played it myself, but heard some very good things about Wurm Online

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Originally posted by Caldrin

what sandbox features does it have?

I really have not got past the quest part of the game myself as it was just bad so i really dont know whats beyond that.

Is it just PVP? Nope it has a full PVE system as well as PVP

Can you build houses and clan cities? Clan forts can be built and attacked

Is everything in game player crafted? Everything in the game is player crafted, items armour

any territory control ? Take control of all 2 bases in a map gives you control over that specific map teritory.

IF it truly is a sandbox i might have to give it another shot and work past the bad parts of the game..

Think you need to actually stick with the game past your first quests line which are their to help you get started. AOW is a vast game with many great features that haven't been seen in any other MMO's.

http://gamelist.mmosite.com/g/age-of-wushu.shtml?g=1&target=summary

Originally posted by L0C0Man
    Haven't played it myself, but heard some very good things about Wurm Online

ya, but it is F2P only till skill 20, which isnt much

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

I think the problem is people trying to lump all MMO's into two categories, one of which hardly anyone agrees on the makings of.

As for the Op, give Vanguard a go if you're looking for an MMo with a bit of an open feel and more meat on it's bones than your typical modern MMO.

Vanguard is a great open world MMO and i also consider it to be a hybrid but not on the same scale as AOW. I've played Vanguard since release.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    There are some f2p sandbox games coming out. The Repopulation, Black Desert, and Everquest Next to name a few.
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    There are some f2p sandbox games coming out. The Repopulation, Black Desert, and Everquest Next to name a few.

coming out? yes

coming out soon? no :)

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Istaria lets you play for free.  Can learn every level and every class, including crafting in the game free.

But you have to play as a human and can't have a plot.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Age of Wushu is a themepark game.. who go from area to area doing quests for your lvl.. or am i missing somthing..

It does have an open PVP system tho

Yes, you are missing a lot. You never have to quest past the first two hours of the tutorial. If you did chose to do a quest, you could go anywhere after your first two hours. Most people don't quest though. I don't even think areas have level specific mobs. Heck there aren't even levels in the traditional sense. It's skill based.

The only things AoW doesn't have are terraforming and personal Housing. There are open world guild keeps that your guild builds up. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"