Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games that deserve sequels

2»

Comments

• HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126

brokensword 

freelancer

unreal singleplayer

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

SWG pre NGE.   

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

DAoC deserves a PROPER sequel.  Not the trimmed down,  quick production joke that we're being offered.

That's my vote.

• Pr0nPr0n Member UncommonPosts: 17
    JEDI ACADEMY!
  • Originally posted by Elikal

Ultima (no NOT the fucking MMO, the REAL Ultima!)

Might and Magic (and NOT NOT the "heroes", the REAL, the RPG series)

Wizardy

Fallout

Lands of Lore

Kings Quest

Simon the Sorcerer

MegaTraveller

Master of Orion

Alpha Centauri

Amberstar

Vision

Planet's Edge

Warcraft (again, NOT the MMO, the strategy game)

If you know these all, you are an old sot like me. XD

There's a couple of games on that list I haven't played, but otherwise... this. :)

Have you played Legend of Grimrock, by the way? It's very reminiscent of Lands of Lore or Wizardry. Amazing indie game.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Bobbyroy
    I am waiting for Pocket Mafia 2.....

there alreaady is, yo can get it on steam.   I have had if for over 2 years. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Legend of Grimrock

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Pong.

Been waiting for a sequel for 40 years...c'mon, how long can it possibly take???

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Volgore

Pong.

Been waiting for a sequel for 40 years...c'mon, how long can it possibly take???

http://www.pippinbarr.com/games/pongs/Pongs.html

Delivered.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Volgore

Pong.

http://www.pippinbarr.com/games/pongs/Pongs.html

Delivered.

I was talking about an actual "Pong 2", not some cheap bandwagon jumpers ;)

• Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Legend of Grimrock

As you wish: http://www.grimrock.net/2013/02/21/about-the-new-project/

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by Vrika

Dungeon Keeper

One Must Fall: 2097

Fallout 2

LOL, I see what you did thar!

I felt FO3 and FONV were alright attempts.  I did put ALOT of time in FO3 also.  But I do see where you're coming from.  Despite Bethesda's best intentions, there's things that the move to 3D + FPS did that simply couldn't replicate from FO1 & FO2.  The text descriptions, especially during combat (of all places), were potentially quite hilarious or gruesome, on top of the great death animations.

"Bloody Mess" perk was well worth it in FO1 & FO2, just to see the cooler "splat-splat-splat" and horrible ways to kill someone.

Now, as for some titles / franchises that I think rate a proper sequel:

Baldur's Gate 2

Battlefield 2 (don't get me started on BF3)

Battlefield 2142 (after seeing BF3, I'm worried about BF2143)

Rainbow 6 Raven Shield (actual R6 sequels strayed away from the original Rainbow 6 / Rogue Spear / Raven Shield style).

European Air War

Pacific Air War

Star Wars "X-Wing" series (X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, X-Wing: Alliance line of space games)

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    The one and only "Planescape Torment", greatest of all games created!

Hodor!

• totalknowledgetotalknowledge Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by Kingmob23
    Yes! I want a Triple A Shadowrun game as well. I hope these Shadowrun kickstarters do well enough to get the attention of people with money, so I can get an AAA release in the future.

I get the feeling that Catalyst Games is considering backing a Shadowrun game.  I play MWO and part of my email preferences asks if I want to be informed of any upcomming Shadowrun products.

While that isn't any definate proof it is certainly more incouraging than nothing.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Conker's Bad Fur Day

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by gwei1984
    The one and only "Planescape Torment", greatest of all games created!

That is getting a sequel I believe there is a Kickstarter for that going on atm .

• treelotreelo Member Posts: 70

Hogs of War.

Colony Wars.

G-Police.

Vagrant Story.

Parasite Eve.

Dino Crisis.  (A reboot rather than a sequel, so we can ignore the second and third games.)

Nightmare Creatures.

Urban Chaos.

Tenchu.

Warzone 2100.

[EDIT] The Planescape sequel met its funding target in a matter of hours, be interesting to see what they do with it.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Why are people mentioning games like fallout, elder scrolls, and tropico, when we already know they are going to get more games in the series? I don't think that's what the OP meant... I believe his intent was to bring up long forgotten (at least by the makers) games that should be revived with a sequal... I could be wrong, but it seems more likely than him starting a thread about IF we are going to see a TES6.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by stragen001
    Originally posted by Ebonheart

The Matrix Online

I loved MxO for the longest time, but it eventually died an SOE death.

If another company could take the IP and make a legit Matrix MMO I would absolutely flip.

More martial arts, more guns, more hacking, and more sunglasses.

YES, MXO was amazing. Sadly I only discovered it about a month before it got shut down :( :(

If we are talking single player games, the 2 on my list were done last year - XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and Syndicate

MXo one game I really wish I had tried over all those years.  Oh well.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Kid Icarus... and no, the Gameboy and shitty Wii titles don't truly count.
  • JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines (R.I.P. Troika)

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (R.I.P. Troika)

Jade Empire

Skies of Arcadia

Master of Magic (R.I.P. Microprose)

Sid Meier's Pirates!

Crimson Skies (This one might actually happen.)

Bard's Tale (the 2004 version)

As far as MMOs go, the only titles I've played whose spirtual successors I'd be interested in exploring would be Asheron's Call and SWG, but I haven't really been a fan of either SOE or Turbine for years.