Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard pushing SC2 hard on MMORPG

expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Seems blizzard are pushing SC2 on this site, likey due to the WoW players. I'll be getting SC2:HotS as I like SC games but wondering if anyone not yet into SC2 has had their interest piqued due to adveristing on here.

BTW SC2 is on sale at the moment 50% off on the b.net store so get it now while it's cheap, you do need original SC2 to play HoTs.

Let me also take the opportunity to clear up some SC2 related misconceptions;

1. You dont need to be online to play campaign
  2. Original SC2 (WoL) is a ~30 mission terrain focused campaign with Hot's (~25 missions) focusing on Zerg and LotV focusing on Protoss.
  3. All races are playable in Multiplayer
  4. There is no subscription (yes some thing there is)

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I'm replaying Liberty in preparation for Swarm . I lost all my achievements from 2010 play no idea how and I am really looking forward to how the story goes. I only play the campaign and I bought Swarm about a week back and definitely need no ad to buy it been looking forward to it since I finished playing Wings of Liberty in 2010. Starcraft 2 was my first RTS and since then I have played both Dawn of War and Red Alert. So it has opened up my game genre. I am not competitive enough to play multiplayer since I am an old lady with very poor micro and macro skills.
    Chamber of Chains
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    if I have only WoL, I wonder will it be possible to play multiplayer after HotS goes live or do I have to buy HotS as well?
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Got to say HoTS beta has only been down a few days but I needz my HoTS fix damn it, fells worthless firing up WoL at this stage.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    I loved the Terran campaign in SC2, but I'll propably skip HotS since it's Zerg focused and I just dont like the Zerg at all, I love them as enemy but not so much at all as my own playable faction. There's a slight chance I will still get it if there's enough of the RPG features that HotS is supposed to have in abundance.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    I loved the Terran campaign in SC2, but I'll propably skip HotS since it's Zerg focused and I just dont like the Zerg at all, I love them as enemy but not so much at all as my own playable faction. There's a slight chance I will still get it if there's enough of the RPG features that HotS is supposed to have in abundance.

I think it, HotS campaign, plays like the DoW2 Imperial Guard campaign, 1 person you really care about (Adrastia/Kerrigan) and a bunch of meatshields in front of her (zerg/guardsmen).

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Haven't been interested in SC2 even since it was first announced.  Nothing from SC2 has picqued my interest enough like the heyday of the first SC game.  The ads haven't changed anything.

Good 'ol reliable "Company of Heroes" still fits the bill perfectly for my RTS needs.  I've got the "Blitzkrieg Mod" with it along side a German speech pack.  I prefer to hear my German soldiers in-game to actually speak... German, and not Hollywood German!

I've been following a bit on Company of Heroes 2 news, but I'm worried about the dev intent on making that game Microtransaction-Ville.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

Originally posted by Warmaker

Haven't been interested in SC2 even since it was first announced.  Nothing from SC2 has picqued my interest enough like the heyday of the first SC game.  The ads haven't changed anything.

Good 'ol reliable "Company of Heroes" still fits the bill perfectly for my RTS needs.  I've got the "Blitzkrieg Mod" with it along side a German speech pack.  I prefer to hear my German soldiers in-game to actually speak... German, and not Hollywood German!

I've been following a bit on Company of Heroes 2 news, but I'm worried about the dev intent on making that game Microtransaction-Ville.

Sega traditionally respects their RTS games so microtransactions will likely be faction packs possibly full blown expansions.

Mmmm I kinda dislike Company of Heroes since playing Europe in Ruins, the control is clunky, the AI kinda stupid and the fact that there are hard counters in the game kinda irks me (that and a 57 mm gun being able to penetrate tiger 1 armour while tiger 1s can't engage enemies at 1-2 km :D ).

You should pick up SC2 now that its on 50% sale, got good reviews and its a really fun campaign even if the micro/macro heavy MP is not to your taste.

I enjoyed CoH back in the day thought the last expansion was very poor IMHO, looking forward to CoH2 I just hope the whole sega thing has not effected it too much.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by expresso

Seems blizzard are pushing SC2 on this site, likey due to the WoW players. I'll be getting SC2:HotS as I like SC games but wondering if anyone not yet into SC2 has had their interest piqued due to adveristing on here.

BTW SC2 is on sale at the moment 50% off on the b.net store so get it now while it's cheap, you do need original SC2 to play HoTs.

2. Original SC2 (WoL) is a ~30 mission terrain focused campaign with Hot's (~25 missions) focusing on Zerg and LotV focusing on Protoss.

To answer your question, "No". I am not interest nor will ever be interested in Star Craft 2. They can advertise all they want, people already know what they need to about them. (Blizzard)

On a good note, yes, it's great you can play offline. I'm sure that is very attractive for some people. I know for one had I been interested or a fan, that will be an important factor in even considering a purchase, considering the blunder they did with D3.

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    where is this 50% off sale im on bnet and its the same price as it is at ebgames so wheres this 50% discount?
    Originally posted by voltt
    where is this 50% off sale im on bnet and its the same price as it is at ebgames so wheres this 50% discount?

http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100001122 @ $20 This is original SC2 not the next expansion due next week.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by voltt

its half price on the usa blizzard store -- $20.00

http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100001122

personally i'll wait for the SC2 Battlechest

bah - beaten by 30 seconds  ;)

• Cameron27Cameron27 Member Posts: 142

You should pick up SC2 now that its on 50% sale, got good reviews and its a really fun campaign even if the micro/macro heavy MP is not to your taste.

I enjoyed CoH back in the day thought the last expansion was very poor IMHO, looking forward to CoH2 I just hope the whole sega thing has not effected it too much.

Oh wow, an 8 year old who cheated through the BW campaign could write a more logical sequal than WoL. If there's one part of sc2 that failed miserably it's the campaign. If that leaked ending cinematic for HotS is true then people should play the new campaign with a trash can nearby so they have somewhere to vomit.

"I will not play it nor any other MMO until they make it possible to obtain the best gear without forcing people to group up to do so." SwampRob

Originally posted by coretex666

Oh and I am Protoss btw...

Well have some widow mines... IN THE FACE!

BANELINGS BANELINGS OOOOH YEAH !

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I really don't want to miss out on the story/cutscenes of SC2 expansion, first game campaign was awesome.

I don't have the RTS skills to be any good at the multiplayer, and I've never liked the zerg, so this probably won't be a day 1 purchase for me.

Once I get burned out on Sim5 I'll pick up HotS.

Most fun I had in SC2 multiplayer were community mod games.

Guess tonight I'll be reinstalling SC2 and patching just in case...

Originally posted by Dihoru

You have pylon hidden under your bed.

Warping units in 3...2...1..

-gets investors into position- u mad bro? :3 (and yes that's not a mispell, I think investors are worse than infestors)

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

I used to play the original Starcraft online all of the time, but since SC2 came out all I've cared about is the campaign.  I really only look forward to playing through the next two expansions simply to experience their stories.  I thought the original SC2 was great.

On a side note, I've always thought Blizzard's next MMO should take place in the Starcraft universe.  With the way SC2 is being molded, they could make it a three-way faction game with the end game content centering around those protoss-zerg hybrid things.  I'm not sure where they'd take the game from there though.

You have pylon hidden under your bed.

Warping units in 3...2...1..

-gets investors into position- u mad bro? :3 (and yes that's not a mispell, I think investors are worse than infestors)

Lifts of buildings to the corners of the map and alt+tabs

Ha! Day9 oh how we love you so much http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7KuLXt17es 
  • jeroen429jeroen429 Member Posts: 15

I got into SC2 just by playing starcraft 1/bw by buying all of blizzards games by diablo 3 rmah. lolz

I must say blizz has done a fantastic job with their SC2:HotS promo stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qF-NoQFJrxc#! Just a shame only those into SC2 get it.
  • FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

I bought WoL and had fun with it, it's a good RTS, not as good as I hoped for but still good. BNET 2.0 and no LAN is a big step backwards unfortunately though.

HotS is looking ok but since RTS's have never been my main games I've decided not to buy it because it's essentially more of the same and I'd rather play other games right now. It will take something more than what I've seen from HotS to get me to buy an RTS.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    PROTIP: AoE2 HD is coming out in a month. Don't waste your money on an inferior RTS like SC2.
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    PROTIP: AoE2 HD is coming out in a month. Don't waste your money on an inferior RTS like SC2.

Now I played the hell out of AoE2 back in the day but by todays standards.... though I am sure its fun and I've already pre-ordered it's not going to touch CoH or SC2