Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will the combat be like?

2»

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by dwarflordking
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by maxg314

I was very excited when I heard about this game and saw some of the photos. What the new developer is doing all sounded great like it's going to be an amazing game but after watching, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjDnM0uf0O8  I'm unsure about how I feel. The combat looks really slow and boring IMO. I know it's only alpha testing but do you think they are going to keep it like this?

Action shooter MMO this 'aint.

If that's what you are looking for TERA is just one click away...

Me though? Loving the look of it- feels like nicely updated old school, which suits me.

why do people always assume someone wants a freakin shooter just cause they want action?

nobody is asking for a shooter, they want tera like... just because we want action doesn't mean shooter get it?

First, you're quite hostile. There is no need. We are just talking about games.

Second, all the 'action' MMORPGs I have seen use active targetting rather then tabbing, which obviously is a recognsed FPS mechanic.

How is TERA not FPS like? I move with WASD and I have my attacks all tied to my mouse, and I aim to hit...

• dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265

I was very excited when I heard about this game and saw some of the photos. What the new developer is doing all sounded great like it's going to be an amazing game but after watching, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjDnM0uf0O8  I'm unsure about how I feel. The combat looks really slow and boring IMO. I know it's only alpha testing but do you think they are going to keep it like this?

Action shooter MMO this 'aint.

If that's what you are looking for TERA is just one click away...

Me though? Loving the look of it- feels like nicely updated old school, which suits me.

why do people always assume someone wants a freakin shooter just cause they want action?

nobody is asking for a shooter, they want tera like... just because we want action doesn't mean shooter get it?

First, you're quite hostile. There is no need. We are just talking about games.

Second, all the 'action' MMORPGs I have seen use active targetting rather then tabbing, which obviously is a recognsed FPS mechanic.

How is TERA not FPS like? I move with WASD and I have my attacks all tied to my mouse, and I aim to hit...

because its third person, duh? similiar controls.. but its not fps.. thats like saying halo and gears of war are the same exact game.. you can have similar controls but it being a different feel and style

• Keitaro333Keitaro333 Member UncommonPosts: 36

Come on, terminology and minor differences like the camera position dont really matter. FPS and TPS have practically the same control scheme. Gears and Halo play very similarly (mechanics wise) apart from some things like taking cover. Some games (like Deus Ex HR) even combine that.

So yes, TERAs combat is similar in mechanics to a FPS/TPS. And btw, you can play TERA in first person if you like.

What i dont understand is why there's suddenly so many people who bitch about slow non-action combat. When have you started playing MMORPGs, yesterday?

Until recently, most major MMORPGs had the same kind of combat. Its only with GW and TERA that the action style got more popular but thats mostly just because of the technical possibility. (since that type of combat is more dependent on low latency)

Its not because people dont like the standard WoW-like combat. In fact, many still prefer it.

I liked TERAs combat, it was a fun change for a while. Now im in a mood for some standard combat where i dont have to be that focused all the time, where i can chill out a little, chat with someone or eat my dinner while questing etc.. Both styles have advantages and disadvantages.

And when we're talking about PVE, its not really the case that one combat style is more challanging than the other. It depends on each game, either can be made easy or hard. Of course in PVP the action combat is usually more challenging. But FFXIV isnt very PVP focused so i dont really mind that.

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154

The combat is much more engaging than 1.0, fast-paced, and nothing nearly like most people are expecting from these devs because of their prior titles.

The new systems added such as combo's that can be performed by a single player allow for a more entertaining gameplay instead of the slow-paced combat many have referenced to in this thread.

Not to say that tactics are not essential like in prior FF titles, but the gameplay has been brought up to speed with modern industry-standards and players will be surprised when more are given a chance to try it in the coming months ^^.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    [mod edit]

No excuse is necessary to me.  I happen to enjoy both action combat (like Tera and such) as well as the typical Final Fantasy type combat. Those who have played the console game over the years, know what to expect.  Those who don't enjoy that, have many other options these days.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    [mod edit]

Chess is slow and, to many, boring. Would you like to imply that chess is neither tactical nor a game of skill?

I know that your response will be something to do with that not being a viable comparison but it really is... Chess is a turn based combat simulation reduced to a very basic set of rules. Just because the MMOs you've played with slow combat have not been challenging (and judging by your exclusive love of action combat I'd assume your MMO history doesn't go back very far) that does not mean it is not possible.

You also seem to be of the impression that a game has to take skill to be good. That's not true, that's just a matter of taste. Some of us prefer slower combat, like that which FFXIV offers, and don't really care what you think. Not everyone plays MMOs just to stroke their ego. I'm more curious about why you're here posting about the game when you apparently already know you don't like it...