Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's kind of trashy for PW to feed off impulse buyers

WrehnWrehn Member Posts: 6

Not enough information has been released on this game, and not enough testing has been done to warrant founders packages.

PW is preying on the consumers that are impulse buyers, people with disposable income, and forgotten realms fanatics. It is irresponsible for them to charge such an outrageous price for the top tier pack with an estimated worth being 2-3 times what they are charging. If the game isn't worth  200 dollars, and people quit playing because of a lack of transparency with the future of the game or let alone the current state of it, then the 500+ dollars PW claims the top tier package is worth, is just manipulative marketing.

When you leak your game with selective beta entry to force people to buy your "packages" you don't have enough confidence in your game for it to sell it self. Instead you use successful names like D&D and forgotten realms to sell the game for you. Some would say this is just good buisness practice, but it's only a good thing if the game can deliver, which so much garbage is being churned out on the market these days by companies who are better at selling their games to impulse buyers, than actual quality game development.

Of course people aren't being held at gun point to type in their credit card information, however it is dishonest, the cutthroats would say it's just business, but lets face it, lets call it what it really is, it's a cheap move by a class C company  that more than likely won't deliver on a quality game. Too often these days mmo's have very short half lifes. The MMO community has gone from a stable 3+ year MMO with a solid player base to getting the bulk of their money on launch, or nickle and diming people with their free games.

FTP might be the future of gaming, but it's the end of immersion, and the old school MMOer. Who knows that could be a good thing, gaming is such a large time sink, I really don't care how badly the gaming market is failing to appeal to me, I better things to do with my time.

Comments

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

well, it IS good business to base something on a popular ip, thats the whole point of using one, to bring in its fans, right?

but yes, i agree people have no one to blame but themselves for any buyer remorse they may suffer after shelling out money on games before they know all the particulars. i wonder how many people who swore off lifetime subs after getting burned by games that went 'free' turned around and threw $200 at cryptic/PW to become a 'founder' lol.

many people dont care, they have the money, and the up front payment often frees them from any f2p hassles down the line.  we often get crap games by companies looking to just cash in on the ip, but when a company knows it can shovel shit onto people and they are still willing to pay several hundred $$ essentially site unseen for the next game anyway, i cant blame them for doing it, and continuing to do it until the consumerbase smartens up (which it wont).

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Impulse buying is on the consumer, not the company.  

The whole 'no one to blame, but themselves' is a silly statement as well.

The concept of blame refers to a wrong that was done.  To my knowledge the consumer is aware and received/will receive the benefits of being a founder.  It's a transaction that two parties agree to.  You can decide for yourself if that transaction is worth it or not.  Simple as that.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by jdnyc

The concept of blame refers to a wrong that was done.  To my knowledge the consumer is aware and received/will receive the benefits of being a founder.  It's a transaction that two parties agree to.  You can decide for yourself if that transaction is worth it or not.  Simple as that.

This^^

Seriously just buy the 20 pack or wait to get into the game for free when it comes out. The OP and many others make sound like someones holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy the $200 pack. Buy it if you want to and can afford it knowing its your choice if not wait a holw month and play for free.

i maybe wrong but this thread smacks of entitlement that somehow a free game should somehow be even freer. hate PW if you want but facts are facts games aren't developed for free. ZDevs and their families do need to eat and giving everyone the top pack foe 20 or even 40 dollars and then reallying on charity to surive ain't gonna cut it. Hell even GW2 is a $60 B2P (as current on steam) So for a F2P PW is charging what they think they can to recoop cost and keep the game running for the near forseeable future. 

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    If someone wants to pay, why shouldnt they have the option...wtf is wrong with gamers today.
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    i have been burned by cryptic/PW to many times to have faith in thier products in advance i will give the thing a 30 day trial but i wont make a call ether way till then

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508

I love how we dance around the words, "on the buyer," to excuse companies from their actions.  Sure, as our society sits today, there's nothing wrong or illegal about these schemes by publishers like Perfect World.  Nowadays, terms like legal, making a profit, buyer's responsibility, and so forth are all entangled with morals and ethics, the right thing, honor, and so forth.  As long as the company didn't break any laws they're 'lawful good' so to say.

Sure, if you want to blame someone you can blame the consumer.  After all, it requires our own fingers -in most cases- to type in those credit card numbers.  Naturally, it must be as simple as that, right?  Businesses throughout the world spend billions towards new marketing tactics designed to funnel people in then get them to type in those credit card numbers.  Many of these marketing schemes are absolutely insidious.  But, people have control over what they type in, right?

The truth of the matter is is that people are not as in control as they think.  Or, most people, anyway.  Of course, I wouldn't expect most people to understand why or really believe that.  Unfortunately most people are clueless to it.  Which is truly troublesome and rather scary.  

Now, hopefully I see everyone in a few weeks since I'm obviously going to get an involuntary break from these forums since you're not allowed to speak out against the machine.

• KaiserPhoenixKaiserPhoenix Member Posts: 59

1: F2P games cost money to develop

2: If you don't want to pay, you can wait for the regular relase or try to win a key by a promotion etc.

3: It's those with an disposable income, who buy it, but it's those instant gratificational ones who don't want to pay and don't want to wait, but yet want everything those founder pack people have, who complain the most.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Do people seriously have an agenda here? Neverwinter is not even close to the same levels of "insideous marketing" as The Old Republic, remember the NDAs on it? remember how they knew their product was shit but launched it anyway with so many broken or missing features for a WoW clone of that budget and in development for that many years? Perfect World/Cryptic have been open about their game for months, they've shown us very recently what type of game it is and people who've experienced the foundry can share that bit (as I haven't yet seen a video of it floating around) as well so do pray tell where is PW preying on anyone? You know what sort of game it is (dungeon crawler with WoW bits set in the Neverwinter portion of the D&D franchise with the massive twist that players can make their own adventures so every budding PnP DM out there could recreate their dungeons in Neverwinter if they so chose to a degree at first and fully later on after content expansions).

To all those bleeding hearts that think it's on the company not to get someone's money: Really dude? Pretty sure that's how real capitalism works, the only difference is vs your ideal situations most consumers are too blinded by their own horse goggles to make an educated decision regarding a product and buy into things which could end up burning them. This is not on the company, the company has a product to ship, if the product is a game and you bought a game doesn't matter what you thought the game would be as long as the game is perfectly functional you're to blame for your dissatisfaction.

• AbloecAbloec Member CommonPosts: 315

OK seriously, this is what I am going to say straight up. The only thing that PW has done that was "trashy" recently is how they told us that Drow wouldn't be in till 60 days after release. Thats it.

I bought the Hero's founder, I have no issue with it. I mean the fact that PW/Cryptic are giving out refunds for the founders speak volumes. So do not trash talk someone when you do not know the full story. Like someone said before, PW/Cryptic have been very open even so far as to allow the people in the closed beta weekend to stream. I did it all last beta weekend.

Damnant quod non intellegunt
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Warley

I love how we dance around the words, "on the buyer," to excuse companies from their actions.  Sure, as our society sits today, there's nothing wrong or illegal about these schemes by publishers like Perfect World.  Nowadays, terms like legal, making a profit, buyer's responsibility, and so forth are all entangled with morals and ethics, the right thing, honor, and so forth.  As long as the company didn't break any laws they're 'lawful good' so to say.

Sure, if you want to blame someone you can blame the consumer.  After all, it requires our own fingers -in most cases- to type in those credit card numbers.  Naturally, it must be as simple as that, right?  Businesses throughout the world spend billions towards new marketing tactics designed to funnel people in then get them to type in those credit card numbers.  Many of these marketing schemes are absolutely insidious.  But, people have control over what they type in, right?

The truth of the matter is is that people are not as in control as they think.  Or, most people, anyway.  Of course, I wouldn't expect most people to understand why or really believe that.  Unfortunately most people are clueless to it.  Which is truly troublesome and rather scary.  

Now, hopefully I see everyone in a few weeks since I'm obviously going to get an involuntary break from these forums since you're not allowed to speak out against the machine.

Not sure why you would think you get modded. Nothing you said came even close to warranting one let alone a suspension.

Anywho, I'm a big proponent of the consumer and that companies get a free pass by some on varying subjects or  showing ridiculous levels of loyalty to them regardless their actions or lack there of. Having said that...don't see the problem here.

...and for the record I'm not a huge fan of Cryptic. CO was rather lackluster overall to me and STO was an absolute joke far as I'm concerned. Still, can't say I fault them for offering a founder's pack or see how they deserve to be demonized for it.

On the same token, no way in hell would I purchase one personally. Not only does it not seem worth it for what is offered as I said their track record makes me skeptical about this game as it is.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by jdnyc

This^^

Seriously just buy the 20 pack or wait to get into the game for free when it comes out. The OP and many others make sound like someones holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy the $200 pack. Buy it if you want to and can afford it knowing its your choice if not wait a holw month and play for free.

i maybe wrong but this thread smacks of entitlement that somehow a free game should somehow be even freer. hate PW if you want but facts are facts games aren't developed for free. ZDevs and their families do need to eat and giving everyone the top pack foe 20 or even 40 dollars and then reallying on charity to surive ain't gonna cut it. Hell even GW2 is a $60 B2P (as current on steam) So for a F2P PW is charging what they think they can to recoop cost and keep the game running for the near forseeable future. 

This ^^ and that above it, as well. ^^

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    edit: nvm, will just fall on deaf ears
  • HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Impulse buyers then need to get a grip.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I am a huge Forgotten Realms fan, but when I saw what they were doing, no way I would pay that, and I also fall under the having extra income to do it.  I also think most the mmos that have been releasing in the last 6 years have no depth and long term playability, so no way.

I am skeptical about playing it for free, if something doesn't have the depth to be a long term game for me, where some people see a couple weeks or a month of fun, I see a waste of my time.  I like to do all aspects, PvE, PvP, harvest/craft.  Not big on the instance everything, personal story, being too railed/quest hubbed, and small.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Wait... sorry just read the title and suddenly all I can think of it being named

"It's kind of trashy for *Name here* to feed off impulse buyers" becuase pretty much you can insert 99% of developers out there and it would be the same exact result and be true.

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354
    They are not trashy for offering a service that meets a demand. Also, I changed my mind about my pre-order and they gave me a refund with no questions asked. Pretty classy if you ask me.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

i really do not see any issue here with a company selling founders packs for 200 bucks , yeah its a little steep for what you get but thats on the consumer to weigh with their own merit and views.

but with that being said , I really wish game companies were held to the same exact standard as every other company in this world when it comes to legal actions against them and unethical business. For some reason this site seems to hold a lot of people that think video games should be able to viral market lies and deceit and then not be held accountable , chastising anyone that asks a company for a refund or posts how to get one.

Seriously get over it , if you chastise people over a shady business practice then you are part of the problem to begin with. Look at what facebook just did selling off consumers information for millions of dollars including pictures posted on their site for marketing of no one knows what products and pictures on the net. They go and settle out of court a class action lawsuit and get to not be held accountable for what they did and settle for pennies on what they probably made in profit from doing so. All this net and computer related genre needs to start being held better accountable , its getting worse and worse each year with some companies like The War Z for example telling flat out lies and still allowed to sell their product to people who might not read forums and scam those customers etc.

Sorry for the rant this is just something that has bugged me for awhile here.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Well, I remember the people running around ranting that Trion was the devil, for giving away some beta access for pre-ordering their game, not paying any extra than anyone else that wanted to play, but just pre-ordering.

So I imagine if they thought that was bad, they would see this much worse.

I see it as people are free to do as they wish, it's their money, not mine, and if people are willing to do it, then I guess they were smart to offer.

Just the state of MMOs right now, imo, I don't trust anyone to do this type of thing, or buy collectors editions for absurd amount of cash.

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Do people seriously have an agenda here? Neverwinter is not even close to the same levels of "insideous marketing" as The Old Republic, remember the NDAs on it? remember how they knew their product was shit but launched it anyway with so many broken or missing features for a WoW clone of that budget and in development for that many years? Perfect World/Cryptic have been open about their game for months, they've shown us very recently what type of game it is and people who've experienced the foundry can share that bit (as I haven't yet seen a video of it floating around) as well so do pray tell where is PW preying on anyone? You know what sort of game it is (dungeon crawler with WoW bits set in the Neverwinter portion of the D&D franchise with the massive twist that players can make their own adventures so every budding PnP DM out there could recreate their dungeons in Neverwinter if they so chose to a degree at first and fully later on after content expansions).

To all those bleeding hearts that think it's on the company not to get someone's money: Really dude? Pretty sure that's how real capitalism works, the only difference is vs your ideal situations most consumers are too blinded by their own horse goggles to make an educated decision regarding a product and buy into things which could end up burning them. This is not on the company, the company has a product to ship, if the product is a game and you bought a game doesn't matter what you thought the game would be as long as the game is perfectly functional you're to blame for your dissatisfaction.

People are blinded and have no idea what has real value and what doesn't because of BS marketing.  Companies use gimmick words like 'value'.  This country is going to implode because everything is based upon the illusion that 'marketing' blitzes us with.  Everything is marketed to us nowadays; from nightly news to medication.  It's f'n ridiculous how brainwashed this country is.  Then, people come along and say it's the people's responsibility.  No, the responsibility always lies with the people who have the money and power.  IF they want the money and power they need to take responsibility.  You can't pass it off on the people who are walking around clueless; this cluelessness that is generated by the bombardment of marketing left and right.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Warley

People are blinded and have no idea what has real value and what doesn't because of BS marketing.  Companies use gimmick words like 'value'.  This country is going to implode because everything is based upon the illusion that 'marketing' blitzes us with.  Everything is marketed to us nowadays; from nightly news to medication.  It's f'n ridiculous how brainwashed this country is.  Then, people come along and say it's the people's responsibility.  No, the responsibility always lies with the people who have the money and power.  IF they want the money and power they need to take responsibility.  You can't pass it off on the people who are walking around clueless; this cluelessness that is generated by the bombardment of marketing left and right.

Stop belittling those that would purchase something like this so much. Christ...you act like people that do are somehow  naive or incapable of thinking for themselves.

Fight Club was a great movie but give it a fucking rest already.

Not everyone needs their hand held and treated like simpletons through the passageways of life.

Some will enjoy it. Some will rant and rave down the road about it. Same as they always do.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Wrehn

It's kind of trashy for PW to feed off impulse buyers

If business don't feed off impulsive buyers, then who should they feed off?

Serious savers?

How the heck are they gonna make money off tightasses?

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    I don't mind if they charge 10,000 for these packages. Less idiots with money the better.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

We all make our own choices. I bought the $60 pack on a whim based on the videos i've seen. Then once I played the beta I was SOLD so I bought the $200 pack and don't regret it.

I know there is a chance the game won't turn out the way I want and I won't get my money's worth. But that is my choice. Pretty much every industry out there adds premium packages to people who can afford it/want it.

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

"impulse buyers"?

easy solution: drink less

:)

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    The awkward moment you realise you paid 200$ for a F2P game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~