Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Do you play male or female characters?

123457»

Comments

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Originally posted by xeniar

I don't really get why Males play female characters..

Are you that insecure about your posible gayness that you HAVE to stare at a female pixxel ass in order to feel confident about yourselves?

As i always play a tank/melee class i want them to look badass with that heavy armor so i alway play male. Also because i am a male. i jsut never roll anything with mana:P

For me its a looks thing, I just don't like the male models in most of these games, they either A) look like the male char is female all it needs is a set of tits, or B) the male chars look like some musclebound idiot. Very rarely do I find a game with male chars I'd actually play in a mmo.

In honestly i'd worry more about the guys who play female chars and act like they are female, me? its VERY easy to tell I am a guy playing a female character because I don't care nor do I try to hide it, its a fracking game, why do people make such big deals over what gender char people choose to play in a videogame. Is soem guy playing a female character going to hurt you in anyway gameplay wise? Probally not. Also Females in these games tend to have more work put into their looks than the males do, and thus the female chars almost always look far better than the males do even in the same outfit.

So for me its just a personal preference, I'd rather play a char thats nice to look at and looks cool, over some homo looking male char(most korean mmos do this), or some muscle bound moron looking guy.

You don't like my preferences for what char I play in a mmorpg? too fracking bad, deal with it. If your worried about this so much I wonder who has the issue here, me? who will play any gender char I want, or you the other guy who is making a big stink about a guy playing a female char. What.. are you so pathetic that your going to hit on anything in a videogame with tits and a nice ass? Because people that say things like you did, usually are the ones who try to pick up female toons in mmorpgs, which I have to admit is beyond pathetic in my eyes.

Has nothing to do with confidence for me, I can play a male char easly if I wanted to, I just  like my female chars and the Eye candy they usually have. XD

Anyway for me when I am on a female char if they ask if I am a guy I just say yes, its not like I try to hide it and if your not braindead its really easy to tell I am a guy even in a first meeting situation.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    It depends on 2 things. 1 which class im playing and 2 does that race and gender combination look good in that classes armor. I never play dwarves but I rolled a female dwarf in Rift because it looked AMAZING in he cleric chain. But I mostly play females. Female cleric in rift, Fem Pandaren war, Fem NE druid, Fem BE DK, Fem BE Priest, Fem NE Hunter, ect ect. I just find that female models look so mcuh better in there armor.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Do you play male or female characters?

YES

• OsedaxOsedax Member UncommonPosts: 16

Depending on how the class looks. 

I chose the one who looks the least amount of stupid.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    Personally...I play male characters 100% of the time. I have never played any game that requires me to be a female character. I would have loved to have played tomb raider, but I cannot get into playing a gender that doesn't represent me.

not sure how its hard to "roleplay" another gender.. what if the game offers no human races are you unable to play those because you can't "identify" yourself with the character?

If it's not a human race, it's still a male alien. But, I play human males unless I have no other choice.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Obviously, if you choose a dwarf, it' indicates a secret desire to be a dwarf.

i just can't fathom what the people who enjoy Ratonga must be like irl.. i mean can you imagine?! :P

I've played a ratoonga AND froglok image

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

i just can't fathom what the people who enjoy Ratonga must be like irl.. i mean can you imagine?! :P

Me too, they were my favourite races in EQ2.

I had a pink female froglok wizard who ran around in a wedding dress called Fabula.

Haters gonna hate.

• insaner666insaner666 Member Posts: 18

NO ONE is gay because he plays a game....

I just hate being girl in a sexist(asian) game, like TERA, where the girls are Warrior Whores, it brings me the thinking beyond gaming, into a desire thing, that i only want in my real life with my girlfriend.

In games where the girls are respectfull represented, with real clothes and real warrior armor, i love to play them.

I don't think about sexwhile playing, and i'm petty sure all the guys who give the excuse " i play female to look at her ass", are answering it not entirely, maybe it has more to be told about.

Just like a guy telling he plays a guy because playing girls is a gay thing,"you want to be a girl in real life i know !!!!"

why bring the FUN time this type of conversation?

I PLAY FEMALES AND MALES - im not gay(no prolem with homossexual people) or sexist !!!!!

I CAN'T ACCEPT THE PRE-MADE EXCUSES HERE!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by evilastro

I had a pink female froglok wizard who ran around in a wedding dress called Fabula.

Haters gonna hate.

i had froglok as well:) guess i must secretly wish i was a frog or enjoy watching those sexy frogs asses as they walk:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I've played males, females and characters of no gender in MMOs.  It's all about what character I want to create.  I tend to have a cast of characters that re-appear in different games.   

Oh and of course, I'll be the first to admit that I must be a closet rat-o-sexual, since I too enjoy playing a ratonga.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by evilastro

Haters gonna hate.

Those were my favorite races, as well. I wish more MMOs has non-humanoid or creature-based races.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• kokaska71kokaska71 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by Zierrity

For me, it all comes down to how my character looks. if I'm unhappy with the customization options for male characters, I usually roll female and vice versa. Then there's what looks best for different classes, what role I think fits the story, (if a story driven game), et cetera, et cetera.

I rarely think about what kind of "ass" I'm staring at, as for me, it's basically a bunch of pixels :P 

The only thing thast ticks me off, is if a MMO don't give me the option of choosing for myself, (Gender locked classes for example).

This

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Talonsin

1. I prefer to look at a female avatar.  Its not because I'm a pervert, its because I like chicks and staring at a guys butt is just not right.  I like to play a Castanic female in Tera for an hour and then piledrive the wife.  She likes it too. 

Well, I suppose that's a reason.

Personally I don't judge people on the "why". So what if one prefers the form of a character or so what if they find that form sexually appealing?

People forget (or most likely they just can't understand) that appreciating one form or another goes back loooong before the camera.

Erotica is in the mind. one can stare at a photo of a naked person and get nothing but see a drawing that is posed in such a way, perhaps wearing the clothing in a particular way and that is what gets the motor running. Or it can be anything really.

Heck, one of the most sexually appealing things that I've ever seen was a woman who was wearing regular shirt and jeans but there was a hole in the jeans just on the outside upper thigh and "that" was more intriguing than some of the boring nudes I've seen over the years.

And again, people are different. The idea that we still can't get past this fact after hundreds of years is amazing.

If someone enjoys looking at an avatar and that gives them a thrill then good on them. If someone wants to have an avatar be an extension of them then good on them. If someone wants to just look at a particular gender simply for aesthetic differences yet it doesn't do anything for their libido then that is completely plausible as far as I'm concerned.

We live in the 21st century and given what we have access to from the internet to books to movies, etc people can be more open about who they are and what they want.

It's the people who are seething inside because they can't accept all of this and must demonize other people because "if they play an avatar of the opposite sex they must be filthy in some way" who bother me the most.

Yet, as long as they don't inflict themselves on others then "good on them". image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by jonrd463
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Reizla

Are you that insecure about your posible gayness that you HAVE to stare at a female pixxel ass in order to feel confident about yourselves?

As i always play a tank/melee class i want them to look badass with that heavy armor so i alway play male. Also because i am a male. i jsut never roll anything with mana:P

I think this topic in general has more to do with the general homophobic nature of most players. Personally I don't give a damn if someone plays male or female.

About latent homosexual feelings... I'm as straight as you can get it (married, have a son - yeah I know, good cover ^^) , but I prefer to look a nice (pixeled) chichs ass over that of a male :-D

I believe it's guys who think it's "ODD" for a guy to play female pixels are certainly homophobic and likely in denial of something.   Just look how many of those types of guys eventually come out as gay/bi later in life.  Most people just don't care about it.

On the other hand, it could be pedo type guys who are trolling around for children and upset when they find out it's an adult male. lol.

In any case, they really need to take a deep look at themselves.

I think the opposite is true. This isn't about ALL of the males playing females, only the ones that go out of their way to explain it with lame excuses, like not wanting want to look at a male toon's butt. Sexual insecurity at it's most pure, right there. That they're worried they would be seen as gay tells me that there might even be latent homosexual tendencies somewhere deep inside, and because of upbringing, culture, or whatever, they overcompensate to hide it. It might not even be a conscious thing, either.

Tell me you like to roleplay and wanted to explore doing a female character, and I won't flinch. Tell me you like variety, and I'll nod in agreement. Tell me that it makes ZERO difference to you what form or gender your character is, because it all comes down to gameplay, and I'll flash a thumbs up. Tell me because looking at a male character's butt is gay, and I'll make DAMN sure not to drop the soap around you if we're ever in a group shower together.

My toughts on the subject but better explained :) thank you :D

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by Siveria

For me its a looks thing, I just don't like the male models in most of these games, they either A) look like the male char is female all it needs is a set of tits, or B) the male chars look like some musclebound idiot. Very rarely do I find a game with male chars I'd actually play in a mmo.

In honestly i'd worry more about the guys who play female chars and act like they are female, me? its VERY easy to tell I am a guy playing a female character because I don't care nor do I try to hide it, its a fracking game, why do people make such big deals over what gender char people choose to play in a videogame. Is soem guy playing a female character going to hurt you in anyway gameplay wise? Probally not. Also Females in these games tend to have more work put into their looks than the males do, and thus the female chars almost always look far better than the males do even in the same outfit.

So for me its just a personal preference, I'd rather play a char thats nice to look at and looks cool, over some homo looking male char(most korean mmos do this), or some muscle bound moron looking guy.

You don't like my preferences for what char I play in a mmorpg? too fracking bad, deal with it. If your worried about this so much I wonder who has the issue here, me? who will play any gender char I want, or you the other guy who is making a big stink about a guy playing a female char. What.. are you so pathetic that your going to hit on anything in a videogame with tits and a nice ass? Because people that say things like you did, usually are the ones who try to pick up female toons in mmorpgs, which I have to admit is beyond pathetic in my eyes.

Has nothing to do with confidence for me, I can play a male char easly if I wanted to, I just  like my female chars and the Eye candy they usually have. XD

Anyway for me when I am on a female char if they ask if I am a guy I just say yes, its not like I try to hide it and if your not braindead its really easy to tell I am a guy even in a first meeting situation.

OH wow i did not know someone could be obsesed with something by posting a comment about the subject in a thread devoted towards said subject.  I said i don't get it. that does not mean that im obssesed with the entire debacle. its jus't my opinion. Aapearantly you and ALOT of other people need to defend it with arms and teeth, that's more worrying tbh.

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

I play both. It's not like I'm staring at any part of my character for sexual gratification. The entire argument of "M with M character or F with F character is a homosexual" is completely baseless. I think players tend to gravitate towards whatever fits their character or what they are most familiar with. Not all players are 13 year old pubescent boys that are constantly looking for eye candy.

It's not my sexual preference that leads me to pick the sex of my character.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Talonsin

1. I prefer to look at a female avatar.  Its not because I'm a pervert, its because I like chicks and staring at a guys butt is just not right.  I like to play a Castanic female in Tera for an hour and then piledrive the wife.  She likes it too. 

Well, I suppose that's a reason.

Personally I don't judge people on the "why". So what if one prefers the form of a character or so what if they find that form sexually appealing?

People forget (or most likely they just can't understand) that appreciating one form or another goes back loooong before the camera.

Erotica is in the mind. one can stare at a photo of a naked person and get nothing but see a drawing that is posed in such a way, perhaps wearing the clothing in a particular way and that is what gets the motor running. Or it can be anything really.

Heck, one of the most sexually appealing things that I've ever seen was a woman who was wearing regular shirt and jeans but there was a hole in the jeans just on the outside upper thigh and "that" was more intriguing than some of the boring nudes I've seen over the years.

And again, people are different. The idea that we still can't get past this fact after hundreds of years is amazing.

If someone enjoys looking at an avatar and that gives them a thrill then good on them. If someone wants to have an avatar be an extension of them then good on them. If someone wants to just look at a particular gender simply for aesthetic differences yet it doesn't do anything for their libido then that is completely plausible as far as I'm concerned.

We live in the 21st century and given what we have access to from the internet to books to movies, etc people can be more open about who they are and what they want.

It's the people who are seething inside because they can't accept all of this and must demonize other people because "if they play an avatar of the opposite sex they must be filthy in some way" who bother me the most.

Yet, as long as they don't inflict themselves on others then "good on them". image

so ure a cameltoe lover too, welcome to the club :)

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

As a transgender  woman I find this question to be a form of transphobia.

Number one gender is a social construct, and nothing you can quote from any biological study, or medical study will prove anything different, especially considering the wide variety of intersex characteristics and conditions from hormone sensitivities to crossed gonads.

Also, with respect to the lgbt "community", there are far more options than male or female. Anyone who denies this is lacking in a sociological, medical,  psychological, and biological education.

The big question is, why does it matter ?? 

This question comes up all the time, and at the core of it is homophobia and transphobia, and frankly if you do not know what those are, please look them up.  

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

I'm a girl who plays a girl, when I have a choice.

I've never even thought of playing a male. Hmmmm.....

I doubt if I ever will.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by Sunscour
    I'm a girl who plays a girl, when I have a choice.I've never even thought of playing a male. Hmmmm.....I doubt if I ever will.

likewise.=D

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• waffleyonewaffleyone Member Posts: 29

People getting all bent out of shape about it seems pretty goofy to me. Some of it I think has to do with the image of the creepy guy in his forties pretending to be a young woman, though I don't think thats entirely relevant. I think I know what the big thing is:

People are generally uncomfortable not knowing/misjudging the gender of others they are interacting with. I don't think I would've been able to identify it before someone who I've known for 20 years determined herself to be a trans woman. Every time I need to use a gender specific pronoun referring to her I'm weirded out, because gender has so much to do with social identity.

As for my choice in video games. I'm a guy, and I tend to choose beastish hybrids. Iksar, Tauren, Charr for example were my clear race choices in EQ/WoW/GW2, always male. If those aren't around/appealing, I tend to choose the beefier humans. I'll play a male character as long as they aren't walking refrigerators or pretty boys; I'll play a female character if they've got more of a tough frame (in Tera, I play a female Amani). If I'm roleplaying the character, I'll choose male. If the game is constantly showing me the character's loincloth covered ass regardless of gender, I'll play female (dark souls deprived run).

Edit: Changed "not knowing" in the second paragraph to "not knowing/misjudging"