Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Do you play male or female characters?

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by immodium
    Originally posted by Reizla

I think this topic in general has more to do with the general homophobic nature of most players. Personally I don't give a damn if someone plays male or female.

About latent homosexual feelings... I'm as straight as you can get it (married, have a son - yeah I know, good cover ^^) , but I prefer to look a nice (pixeled) chichs ass over that of a male :-D

LOL. Thats my thinking to. I play games a lot, would I prefer to look at a males or females ass all day? :)

I tend to look where I am going or in PVP i use as wide a shot as I can muster, I can't really think of a time I stared at a pixelated ass.

This ass thing got me thinking about where my eyes are actually looking while I play MMORPGs. I think I very rarely actually look at my avatar at all. Perhaps if I get a new model of armor, but while actually playing, I'm always looking either at some UI element or managing positioning and targeting in the main field of view.

Yeah, like you I hardly ever look at my avatar, I only do every once in a while, to check out the look of new gear. Too much going on else where  to even think about looking at some pixelated cheeks lol.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

I never really worried about what gender the character was in game, since in truth the character is the manifestation of the character in the in-game exerince. I actually sit down creating a back story, as well as info about the character like you might for a old-school table top rpg such as D&D. Though i am a huge Rper myself so i alway create my character to fit my story, with roughly a equal number of male and female characters that i have created. 

I am not surprized that many people play female characters an being male, since we are sexual an phyically oriented people, even artwork or statues can be quite beautiful to look at even if not being the anythign more than what they are. It is the same with a pixelated characcter avatar in a game, people will gravate towards playing or using what is precieved as appealing most of all when they will be spending how many untold hours staring at it in game.). Yet also many times certain looks or genders do feel more approperate to certain roles or looks in a game. I find it more telling how many peope have to question another person choice of character or gender they prefer to play, as a basis of it being anythign more than just that one is more appealing than another. 

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I'm a female and only play female characters. My husband's a perve so he plays chic characters though.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334
    A few studies have already been done on this, yet no one seems to pay attention to emperical research on this matter, namely one in the Journal of CyperPsychology. I have read anywhere in the 55-75% range for playerbase gender swapping in game.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt
    Originally posted by remyburke

I have a penis, therefore, I play a male character.

The characters I create are an extension of myself. I never understood how guys play girls, or girls play guys and not think anything of it. I guess it's the same people that don't care what their character's names are, or how those names are a reflection of how others view them in game.

[mod edit]

So if (a male) make himself good look before going out or to work, that sounds gay to you as well?

I am with the camp who thinks it is weird to play female chars as male. Does not make much sense to me and I dont buy this looking at a pixelated ass excuse either. I cant remember when I looked at my characters ass when playing, why would you do that? I rather look at the mob and my (characters) axe which will split its skull open.

I play violent games and girls dont fit the picture of violence for me, sorry. So I always roll male characters. Same reason why I dont watch girls doing martial arts. Picture of girls punching each other's lights out is not appealing to me. Men are built for that, females are not.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    I'm a man playing a character who is a woman, pretending to be a man, pretending to be a woman. So just what poll choice should I pick?

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by xeniar

I don't really get why Males play female characters..

Are you that insecure about your posible gayness that you HAVE to stare at a female pixxel ass in order to feel confident about yourselves?

As i always play a tank/melee class i want them to look badass with that heavy armor so i alway play male. Also because i am a male. i jsut never roll anything with mana:P

I think this topic in general has more to do with the general homophobic nature of most players. Personally I don't give a damn if someone plays male or female.

About latent homosexual feelings... I'm as straight as you can get it (married, have a son - yeah I know, good cover ^^) , but I prefer to look a nice (pixeled) chichs ass over that of a male :-D

I believe it's guys who think it's "ODD" for a guy to play female pixels are certainly homophobic and likely in denial of something.   Just look how many of those types of guys eventually come out as gay/bi later in life.  Most people just don't care about it.

On the other hand, it could be pedo type guys who are trolling around for children and upset when they find out it's an adult male. lol.

In any case, they really need to take a deep look at themselves.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Yamota

The characters I create are an extension of myself. I never understood how guys play girls, or girls play guys and not think anything of it. I guess it's the same people that don't care what their character's names are, or how those names are a reflection of how others view them in game.

[mod edit]

So if (a male) make himself good look before going out or to work, that sounds gay to you as well?

I am with the camp who thinks it is weird to play female chars as male. Does not make much sense to me and I dont buy this looking at a pixelated ass excuse either. I cant remember when I looked at my characters ass when playing, why would you do that? I rather look at the mob and my (characters) axe which will split its skull open.

I play violent games and girls dont fit the picture of violence for me, sorry. So I always roll male characters. Same reason why I dont watch girls doing martial arts. Picture of girls punching each other's lights out is not appealing to me. Men are built for that, females are not.

Issue is that not everyone will have the same idea of what is appealing weither in looking at it, or what they enjoy an that has no barings on anythign other than a personal preference. The fact also is that you might play a game for violence an find that female's do not fit into that idea (which is pretty sexist in many ways.), but others play it for vastly different reasons that deal with actually playing the character, and enoying an immersive experince in the game (which any non-appealing avatar will break heavily, such as with you not finding female avatars to fit into a violent spectrum, or for others that a unappealing character of one gender (most male characters are completely laughable to look at.) an so breaks immersion), while also that for a player that is rping a character the gender is not about them but just what they are playing in the setting of the role play. 

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I'm fortunate in that I am gay and can play my gender without having to give up my favorite eye candy.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

I play both. It depends on the class and style of armors etc. for me to choose between the two genders. 

I like playing male characters more than I do female characters, but lately the males in games have just been downgrading in aesthetics. They are all these massive steroid taking or Skinny/I might as well be female characters... I like playing a normal proportioned male, with decent hair styles to choose from. Haven't seen that in awhile. 

The look of my character can completely put me off from playing a game, I didn't find that out until recently...but it will. Sorry RIFT and your terrible character creator. 

Also, I didn't vote because like I said; I play both and that isnt a poll choice. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Originally posted by Asuran24

So do you spend hours on character creation adjusting the lips and eyes on your male characters? Give them big pecs and a cheeky smile? 

Sounds pretty gay to me.

I make girls and take care to choose a good lore friendly, unisex name. So it suits my character but I don't mind being called it in chat.

Issue is that not everyone will have the same idea of what is appealing weither in looking at it, or what they enjoy an that has no barings on anythign other than a personal preference. The fact also is that you might play a game for violence an find that female's do not fit into that idea (which is pretty sexist in many ways.), but others play it for vastly different reasons that deal with actually playing the character, and enoying an immersive experince in the game (which any non-appealing avatar will break heavily, such as with you not finding female avatars to fit into a violent spectrum, or for others that a unappealing character of one gender (most male characters are completely laughable to look at.) an so breaks immersion), while also that for a player that is rping a character the gender is not about them but just what they are playing in the setting of the role play. 

Sexist that I dont find females fitting the idea of violence? Oh please. So I assume that the fact that male boxing, mixed martial arts, kickboxing etc is far more popular than the female variant is sexist as well? Nothing to do with the fact that men, in general, are stronger and more fit for violence than females? Just like almost every mammal out there?

Anyway, I am digressing, but I hate to hear the sexist remark every time someone's point out that there are differences between males and females. But back to topic, I am sure a lot of people play MMOs for other reasons than violence, but that does not take away the fact that 99% of content in MMOs are violent in nature. Now if there was an MMO which was about political scheeming and such I would probably not find it unfitting too see females in those roles but even so, why would a man choose to roleplay a female? Must be a deeper rooted reason in there than just roleplaying...

Probably female worship and/or desire to actually be a (pretend) female. That is my best bet.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Are you that insecure about your posible gayness that you HAVE to stare at a female pixxel ass in order to feel confident about yourselves?

As i always play a tank/melee class i want them to look badass with that heavy armor so i alway play male. Also because i am a male. i jsut never roll anything with mana:P

I believe it's guys who think it's "ODD" for a guy to play female pixels are certainly homophobic and likely in denial of something.   Just look how many of those types of guys eventually come out as gay/bi later in life.  Most people just don't care about it.

On the other hand, it could be pedo type guys who are trolling around for children and upset when they find out it's an adult male. lol.

I think the opposite is true. This isn't about ALL of the males playing females, only the ones that go out of their way to explain it with lame excuses, like not wanting want to look at a male toon's butt. Sexual insecurity at it's most pure, right there. That they're worried they would be seen as gay tells me that there might even be latent homosexual tendencies somewhere deep inside, and because of upbringing, culture, or whatever, they overcompensate to hide it. It might not even be a conscious thing, either.

Tell me you like to roleplay and wanted to explore doing a female character, and I won't flinch. Tell me you like variety, and I'll nod in agreement. Tell me that it makes ZERO difference to you what form or gender your character is, because it all comes down to gameplay, and I'll flash a thumbs up. Tell me because looking at a male character's butt is gay, and I'll make DAMN sure not to drop the soap around you if we're ever in a group shower together.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

So do you spend hours on character creation adjusting the lips and eyes on your male characters? Give them big pecs and a cheeky smile? 

Sounds pretty gay to me.

I make girls and take care to choose a good lore friendly, unisex name. So it suits my character but I don't mind being called it in chat.

Sexist that I dont find females fitting the idea of violence? Oh please. So I assume that the fact that male boxing, mixed martial arts, kickboxing etc is far more popular than the female variant is sexist as well? Nothing to do with the fact that men, in general, are stronger and more fit for violence than females? Just like almost every mammal out there?

Anyway, I am digressing, but I hate to hear the sexist remark every time someone's point out that there are differences between males and females. But back to topic, I am sure a lot of people play MMOs for other reasons than violence, but that does not take away the fact that 99% of content in MMOs are violent in nature. Now if there was an MMO which was about political scheeming and such I would probably not find it unfitting too see females in those roles but even so, why would a man choose to roleplay a female? Must be a deeper rooted reason in there than just roleplaying...

Well i would suggest not putting forth an opinion that makes you look sexiest next time, as the fact is bar small differences men an women are largely equal, with each excelling in small orders in different area, but the end result is that both are capable of the same things most of all in violent acts. Also the popularity of male to female fighting is more a testement to the commonly held  (but false) belief that women are not as violent or capable as men, not any true fact of them being lesser physically. In truth many times a women can match a man pound for pound in a fight, but the methods they do this in are different, and yet in the end the result is the same.

Hmm the fact that they find the female form more appealing to spend hours of time staring at since it is largely center of the screen, and no matter how tunneled your vision is that form will affect your experince in the game. The fact that male chracter models are quite hiddious, and stereotypically unappealing to many players making their experince worse once more. That not everyone want to play as a stereo-typical top heavy muscular brute of a character, and so the other option is to play as a female character, since no other option sometime is offered it is the best solution. The fact that the animation on a female chatacter either look or are made more fluidic an appealing to watch compared to a female character. You have the fact that many times the armor or weapons jsut are more appealing on the female character to see, with the male conterpart just being laughable. In many ways i coould call you on being gay for liking looking at a male character anbeing male, since you like admiring that form so much it could be some hidden desire getting let out. I find it creeper that some guy cybers with someone in a mmo that have no idea of what true gender they are, and would seek that out  as it puts into perspective that they very well might jsut be the despreat for such interaction regardless of who it is (reminds me of all the 1-800 number ads you would see), an that the guy playing a female toon is merely playing along to get some reward for a service. 

• 10010101121001010112 Member Posts: 1

This thread is confusing. Why does anyone care?

I'm a male, I play both, and I don't think that much about it. It has nothing to do with how tittilating those vertex-shaded buns of steel look in a chainmail thong, or whether I'm desperately attempting to be that muscle-bound behemoth I never could be. I have no desire to dress in drag, but if I did, so what? As long as I'm not wearing your panties, it doesn't affect you in the least.

Hell, back (way back) in high school, when cell phones were actually coconuts connected via fishing line, I played D&D over lunch with the other misfits. My character was female. My sexual orientation was never put to question. I remember the group finding a magic mirror that would suck anyone into it that looked directly at it. The group gave it to my character. She put it between her breasts. She flashed males she didn't like, and woosh! Into the mirror they went. How could they not look? It was a source of endless amusement for our simple freshman minds.

When WoW came out, I suckered some of my programmer buddies into playing. All male. Never played anything online previously. We all rolled females. For my part it was mostly because all the alliance males looked about as nimble as an ox, and didn't fit my perception of a rogue. Or rouge, for that matter. We didn't think anything of it. They aren't us, they're characters.

I've also played the Tauren, and I'm pretty certain I don't have a deeply recessed longing to become a cow, or a juicy hamburger.

I think it all comes down to Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.

Moo.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

I mind and don't mind that males play female characters.

When they use their mic it creeps me out. Here you have this fragile doll casting magic and suddenly there's this burling deep manly voice that says ***what's up guys****, such an immersion breaker and so so annoying.

Strong, burly women are the best.

Sounds pretty gay to me.

Well i would suggest not putting forth an opinion that makes you look sexiest next time, as the fact is bar small differences men an women are largely equal, with each excelling in small orders in different area, but the end result is that both are capable of the same things most of all in violent acts. Also the popularity of male to female fighting is more a testement to the commonly held  (but false) belief that women are not as violent or capable as men, not any true fact of them being lesser physically. In truth many times a women can match a man pound for pound in a fight, but the methods they do this in are different, and yet in the end the result is the same.

Well I am arguing that it does not make me look sexist, unless you are some sort of fanatic feminist. And there is no "fact" that men and women are largely equal. What kind of ludicrous sentence is that. A female body builder, weight lifter, mixed martial artist weigh aprox. 50% less and can lift 50% less. That is a provable fact just by looking at the stats of the people engaging in it. Pound to pound means nothing. A light weight can match a heavy weight "pound to pound" but put them into the same ring together and the heavy weight will, nine times out of ten, destroy the light weight. Weight matters, absolute strength matters and the fact that you try to argue this fact inspite of the massive data claiming so just shows how deluded you are.

So unless we see a female being able to compete in a physical sport with a male and win then you have nothing but feminist fantasies with no bearing in reality.

Hmm the fact that they find the female form more appealing to spend hours of time staring at since it is largely center of the screen, and no matter how tunneled your vision is that form will affect your experince in the game. The fact that male chracter models are quite hiddious, and stereotypically unappealing to many players making their experince worse once more. That not everyone want to play as a stereo-typical top heavy muscular brute of a character, and so the other option is to play as a female character, since no other option sometime is offered it is the best solution. The fact that the animation on a female chatacter either look or are made more fluidic an appealing to watch compared to a female character. You have the fact that many times the armor or weapons jsut are more appealing on the female character to see, with the male conterpart just being laughable.

You mention fact many times in this rambling paragraph yet very little is based on facts. There is no fact that female are more aesthetic looking and male characters "hideous" looking. That is all in your head and all subjective with no facts to back it up. The fact is that in many mmos you can create slender looking males, they are called elves and top heavy muscular one's are just one of many choices for male characters.

In many ways i coould call you on being gay for liking looking at a male character anbeing male, since you like admiring that form so much it could be some hidden desire getting let out. I find it creeper that some guy cybers with someone in a mmo that have no idea of what true gender they are, and would seek that out  as it puts into perspective that they very well might jsut be the despreat for such interaction regardless of who it is (reminds me of all the 1-800 number ads you would see), an that the guy playing a female toon is merely playing along to get some reward for a service. 

Most likely it is the other way around. I.e. people (you) being so sensetive about this matter that they bring sex into it. When I play MMOs sex is the furthest thing on my mind and the fact that you bring it in as an argument to play a female characters probably shows that you have some issues with playing a male avatar that you have to play a female one, just to not feel gay.

I play male characters, as I have explained, they fit the picture of a violent character better. Just like I feel a male lion looks more fierce than a female one. Sex has nothing to do with it as that has nothing to do with me playing computer games and dont even enter my mind.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Heretique
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

I mind and don't mind that males play female characters.

When they use their mic it creeps me out. Here you have this fragile doll casting magic and suddenly there's this burling deep manly voice that says ***what's up guys****, such an immersion breaker and so so annoying.

Strong, burly women are the best.

lol

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Obviously, if you choose a dwarf, it' indicates a secret desire to be a dwarf.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    I'm male and I play both, enjoy both. Depends on mood and the general ingame aesthetics of certain class/armor models.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84
    Must be a slow news day.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Obviously, if you choose a dwarf, it' indicates a secret desire to be a dwarf.

i just can't fathom what the people who enjoy Ratonga must be like irl.. i mean can you imagine?! :P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Whichever looks best to me. I like slender, smaller non-human types. I don't care for those huge ubber-male muscle walls or overly sexualized females. So yeah I had trouble finding a race on Tera (dragon lady in the end). On gw2 I play asura males.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by jonrd463

I think the opposite is true. This isn't about ALL of the males playing females, only the ones that go out of their way to explain it with lame excuses, like not wanting want to look at a male toon's butt. Sexual insecurity at it's most pure, right there. That they're worried they would be seen as gay tells me that there might even be latent homosexual tendencies somewhere deep inside, and because of upbringing, culture, or whatever, they overcompensate to hide it. It might not even be a conscious thing, either.

Tell me you like to roleplay and wanted to explore doing a female character, and I won't flinch. Tell me you like variety, and I'll nod in agreement. Tell me that it makes ZERO difference to you what form or gender your character is, because it all comes down to gameplay, and I'll flash a thumbs up. Tell me because looking at a male character's butt is gay, and I'll make DAMN sure not to drop the soap around you if we're ever in a group shower together.

You can see it anyway you want.  Most people don't care what others do.  It's ODD when people become busy bodies about it.  You know wanting to start something about it.  They bring it up because it's their issue. 

For me,  I played a tauren in wow because I wanted to have sex with a cow or be a cow. I don't but people who think along those lines might just be dumb.  I see them as potential gay/bi (like a cousin I have) or pedos because it's their issue.

As to gender, it's just pixels. that's what I believe.  You want to take it to something else, your problem/issue.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

You forgot to add an option for those that play both.

Pretty much all my in-game and RL friends have both male and female avatars in games. Depending on the character they are trying to create.

I always have female casters, and male rogues and warriors. Why? Because cloth and caster gear looks terrible on male characters. Likewise, the plate armor and leather usually looks better on male characters.

As for people who get upset by people playing characters other than their gender, go do internet dating if you want to pick up, its more accessible than ever, stop being creepy in video games.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by jonrd463

You can see it anyway you want.  Most people don't care what others do.  It's ODD when people become busy bodies about it.  You know wanting to start something about it.  They bring it up because it's their issue. 

For me,  I played a tauren in wow because I wanted to have sex with a cow or be a cow. I don't but people who think along those lines might just be dumb.  I see them as potential gay/bi (like a cousin I have) or pedos because it's their issue.

As to gender, it's just pixels. that's what I believe.  You want to take it to something else, your problem/issue.

Just so it's understood, I never said all males playing female characters had something to hide-- only those so insecure about their own sexuality that they feel as if looking at pixels somewhat resembling a man's clothed butt is a banner over their heads saying "Look at me! I'm teh ghey!"

This, of course, excludes teens deep in the throes of puberty, however. They play female characters for one reason, and one reason only. I tend to give them a pass, because they're likely at that stage of development where they'd fap to a Coke bottle, just because it's curvy. At some point, they'll grow out of it.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous