Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think game should have unlimited free trial. Oh god plz read before shooting

13»

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Qallidexz
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Doesn't the name "Unchained" suggest it will be free to play?

Nope.

Well I think it does.. since the only other MMO i know using that word in the title in AOC: Unchained when it went ftp. Why would someone use that name when there are obvious connotations caused by another MMO?

Has the payment model been stated/suggested officially yet?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

I agree with the OP.  Having a F2P option could produce a larger population, this way there is never a lack of players to fight.

As long as the F2P option doesn't lead to a catastrophic Pay to Win cash shop, then I'm good.

• HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185

Actually found a concept that is more in line with what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJsedNZ5ZJI

PoxNora - Pay to play, with an unlimited free trial.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by gigat

I agree with the OP.  Having a F2P option could produce a larger population, this way there is never a lack of players to fight.

As long as the F2P option doesn't lead to a catastrophic Pay to Win cash shop, then I'm good.

People don't seem to get it. MJ Is not out for millions of players, he's said it's a niche game for a certain type of players and that's what he's going for. Just get use to the fact it's not for you if you don't want to pay a sub fee, and you aren't looking for a smaller, more tight knit,  community who take pride in their realms. F2P and B2P are the worse for mmo's imo.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

I'm not trying to harshly shoot you down at all, because I think the F2P model works well with other games...

However I disagree with you for what I think Mark is trying to do with Camelot Unchained.

There are plenty of other F2P model mmo's out there that work, and are fun, if that's your cup of tea.

They're trying to do something special here with CU being RVR only (with crafting and housing), and sub model.

The people playing will have a truly vest interest, and would be more than willing to pay a sub. Heck I would pay a normal sub of $15 a month for what he's saying this will be, but I have a feeling with the sub models he's given us hints on, that my sub will be more like between $5 to $10 for this game.

With F2P in a game like CU, the population would be a lot bigger than it would be with sub, but it would be a lot of A.D.D. here today, gone tomorrow type players, with no vested interest in their character, their guild, or the game.

For the type of community they're trying to make with this game, F2P would destroy that sense of tight nit community right away.

Sure it would give us serious CU players a lot of fodder to kill in RVR, but at the expense of the sense of real community in the game I feel.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

I'd rather everyone has to pay money initially to play the game.

This will keep out the large number of bad apples you get with the F2P crowd.

No unlimited free trial. If there is to be a free trial, I hope it is short in time length.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

If they offered a trial like the OP was suggesting and limited it to other things than rvr it might work well for the game.

The only thing they'd really need on a cash shop is something like plex in eve. The trial players could grind in game cash to buy the "sub"  from other players and that would give them access to the rest of the game.

You wouldn't have people just floating in and out of that part of the game because they'd have as much or more time invested just getting the credits to get into the rvr. The game would have more players because of the option and probably have better battles.

You don't have to have pay to win or "freeloaders" in a f2p game. Those are just the easy targets for ppl who can't think outside their little box.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    A freemium model would give you best of both worlds for this game, have housing being sub only, basically cap the top content to subbers but let freemium players in RvR, it will certainly cause zergs but being limited in raw power you can imagine subbers will rape freemium players. Best of both worlds, unlimited trial (free 2 play) but limited in capabilities and without housing (and if a subber goes back to freemium his characters with post freemium skills get locked and/or with houses) ergo you abid counter F2Pers can have allot less of the bad apples running around while also having extra meatshields and possibly players (later).

• TadderTadder Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by CrimsonSix

It amuses me when people start talking about advantages and disadvantages of P2P vs F2P. Advent of F2P is simply the result of game companies trying to undercut each other while they attempt to sell you their version of World of Warcraft. 

Qft

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Tadder
    Originally posted by CrimsonSix

It amuses me when people start talking about advantages and disadvantages of P2P vs F2P. Advent of F2P is simply the result of game companies trying to undercut each other while they attempt to sell you their version of World of Warcraft. 

Qft

Only about as much as those same companies dying off like the P2P ones that overreach ^^ (don't plan on being niche).

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    It will neither be F2P nor have an unlimited Free Trial Period.  This whole thread is silly.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

Originally posted by Dihoru
    A freemium model would give you best of both worlds for this game, have housing being sub only, basically cap the top content to subbers but let freemium players in RvR, it will certainly cause zergs but being limited in raw power you can imagine subbers will rape freemium players. Best of both worlds, unlimited trial (free 2 play) but limited in capabilities and without housing (and if a subber goes back to freemium his characters with post freemium skills get locked and/or with houses) ergo you abid counter F2Pers can have allot less of the bad apples running around while also having extra meatshields and possibly players (later).

As a subscription player, I do not want to win due to the other players having access to less than I do. I want to win by overcoming the challenge of fighting people with access to the same level of gear and stats to which I have access. I want to win due to skill, not EZ-mode versus freemium players. I wouldn't even waste my time with the game if that were to be the case.

• KvalandurKvalandur Member Posts: 31
    What I don't like about the f2p model, and maybe it doesn't apply to ALL f2p games, is how they change the game making it overly easy, often giving incremental hit points or exp points. I'm sure these are ways of enticing players, getting them to use the cash shop, but when you change the level speed and increase the drop rates, it feels "wrong" or at least strange for a returning player.
  • MidHealerMidHealer Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Jimmac
    Originally posted by Dihoru

As a subscription player, I do not want to win due to the other players having access to less than I do. I want to win by overcoming the challenge of fighting people with access to the same level of gear and stats to which I have access. I want to win due to skill, not EZ-mode versus freemium players. I wouldn't even waste my time with the game if that were to be the case.

^This. Thousand times this.

I have $15/month of disposable income that I am more than willing to pay (again, monthly) for a DAoC-inspired, RvR-based game. That money will buy me, among other things, freedom from "endless free trial", f2p, b2p, p2w and similar game models.

If you (meaning anyone) do not have the means, money or are simply unwilling to invest your $15/month for whatever reason, well, I am sure there are other games out there which are more to your liking, no offence meant.

Birger, Galahad, Healer
    Midgard forever

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Honestly all mmos should be a B2P game with a SUB option. The whole with a sub keep the immature etc. away is just pure bull. IF that was the case WoW community would be way better than it's current cesspool of players.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

Originally posted by Punk999
    Honestly all mmos should be a B2P game with a SUB option. The whole with a sub keep the immature etc. away is just pure bull. IF that was the case WoW community would be way better than it's current cesspool of players.

There could be a different reason that the WOW community sucks. B2P with sub for a smaller market niche game could very well help to keep out the crappy cesspool trolls for CU, even if it didn't keep them out in WOW due to some other reason.