Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord British Presents...

PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

My bet is Ultima Online 2...

http://www.lordbritishpresents.com/

Comments

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I don't think he even has the rights for Ultima anymore.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

already a thread on this. 

Richard Gariot can not do UO2. . he only owns Lord British. . sold the rights to the rest to EA

http://www.portalarium.com/index.php/products/ultimate-rpg

He views games going like this

Era 1 - single player

Era 2 - MMO

The Third Grand Era of Games – Social & Mobile gaming

I expect nothing other than RPGville although I hope it is more. 

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Coming to a Facebook near you.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Tabula Rasa means he will never get funding again.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Give Richard Garriot $70 million to make an mmo.  He will spend $30 million to go to outer space.
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Richard Gariot can not do UO2. . he only owns Lord British. . sold the rights to the rest to EA

Era 1 - single player

Era 2 - MMO

he's not wrong...the fact that those games are crap doesnt mean they HAVE TO be crap. :)

To a point. Depends what you are looking for. Sure you can make fun RPG for Android/iOS but int he end, there is only so much you can do with it. It's nowhere near what you can do with PC MMO, let alone singleplayer game, and while it's always nice ot have options, I'd rather see something that will last for longer than 2-3 hours. 

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

he's not wrong...the fact that those games are crap doesnt mean they HAVE TO be crap. :)

Exactly. 

Although with mobile/social having been huge for quite a while, he's pretty behind the curve compared with how he basically led the charge on the MMO front.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• It would seem odd if he uses his Lord British name and it's not Ultima-related. But then again maybe he did the same with Tabula Rasa? I didn't follow its development much, but tried it for a brief time and disliked it.

The Ultima VIIs are still the best games he's been behind IMO. A seamless, highly interactive world with lots of interesting places to visit and explore, well-developed NPCs and bustling towns that made it feel like a virtual world was living inside your computer.

I hope someone will recreate this game one day, although with a combat system (and graphics) more up to date.

• I have the site as my startup page right now. I just hope it's not going to be some crap Facebook game.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Era 1 - single player

Era 2 - MMO

He predicted that did he? I have been saying it for years on here. Did he also mention that Social and Mobile gaming are creating a drive to games which will be even less like a solid all round MMO? Just as consoles helped dumb down MMO gaming, mobiles and social netwrking will too.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by Cleffy
    Give Richard Garriot $70 million to make an mmo.  He will spend $30 million to go to outer space.

Yep. Whatever he is trying to push now expect it to end with a terrible game and him visiting the ISS.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    My bet is on the start of a Kickstarter Campaign !

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

To be fair, a game like classic UO could easily be run as a facebook game. I would play it for sure and even pay for it.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Ezhae

Era 1 - single player

Era 2 - MMO

To a point. Depends what you are looking for. Sure you can make fun RPG for Android/iOS but int he end, there is only so much you can do with it. It's nowhere near what you can do with PC MMO, let alone singleplayer game, and while it's always nice ot have options, I'd rather see something that will last for longer than 2-3 hours. 

There is nothing that would prevent a game like UO to be created for mobile devices. The game was originally designed for '97 PCs running at 640x480 SVGA resolution. Modern tablets have many times the processing power, memory capacity and screen resolution compared to the PCs of '97.

The reason we don't see AAA MMOs on tablets yet is because someone has yet to prove that a big budget game for a tablet can be successful.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I'm not interested in his lackluster ego based games.
  • RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by tixylix

Ultima IV - VII + Underworld + UO were hardly what I'd call lackluster or ego-based.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

its not like he single handedly created all those games.

I don't buy into this view most people have that people in charge of development  are responsible for everything good about a game.

its analogous to the oscars only having one catagory.

My blog: image

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

Ultima IV - VII + Underworld + UO were hardly what I'd call lackluster or ego-based.

To be fair, how long ago were those titles you mentioned done?  And what has he done for RPGs and/or MMORPGs since then?

What R.Garriott did in his career is outstanding and can never be taken away from him.  But again, what has he done for RPGs / MMORPGs since UO?  UO is a 90's child.  Bill Clinton was still President of the USA!

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Warmaker

To be fair, how long ago were those titles you mentioned done?  And what has he done for RPGs and/or MMORPGs since then?

What R.Garriott did in his career is outstanding and can never be taken away from him.  But again, what has he done for RPGs / MMORPGs since UO?  UO is a 90's child.  Bill Clinton was still President of the USA!

And he did not have sex with that woman.

(You can't win with Garriot. He's Deity Incarnate, or he's a Has-Been. But either way, the argument usually churns on for days.)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Warmaker

And he did not have sex with that woman.

(You can't win with Garriot. He's Deity Incarnate, or he's a Has-Been. But either way, the argument usually churns on for days.)

who cares if he did, have yall looked at the presidential history, most of our better presidents tended to sleep around alot, heck bill was the last one time we had a stable econmy

ops did i bring politics into this thread :p

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

Im pretty sure that this is just the release of Ultima Forever. http://ultimaforever.com/ EA said spring 2013. Or am I wrong?

I like how the game captures some of the original Ultima art style, but I can’t say if it is any good gameplay wise. I believe that Richard Garriott has lost all interest in video games, and this is just a marketing thing.

• Richard Garriott isn't involved whatsoever with Ultima Forever, apart from the game being inspired by Ultima IV, which he did make. He doesn't have the rights to the "Ultima" name anymore, either. He does have the rights to "Lord British" though, which is why Ultima Forever has a Lady British instead.
  • SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

It just says that he presents something not that it is something by Richard Garriott. Maybe they just hired him to boost the release.

I think it would be a big coincidence if Ulitima Forever gets released and the same month Richard Garriott makes his big comeback with his next big thing, after keeping himself out of game design for almost 20 years.

• CyborWolfTKCyborWolfTK Member Posts: 77

UO Pre trammel, Pre stat loss for reds.

The test server for factions.... when you could macro a switch completely changing your character from mage to archer to tamer to solider was the bomb-whoa-shiznit.

You know it's fun as hell when there are 30-40 corpses laying around half looted, because you never even had the time to loot before some enemy was comming by looking for revenge/blood.

Anyway, I still remember the day when Lord Bristish was Pk'd

I was not there, as I had to work, but I still remember My guild being all abuzz about the whole thing

and how everyone thought it was so cool that even Lord British could be Pk'd

EVEN A GOD KING CAN BLEED! :)

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

This is not on Kickstarter yet? In that case, yes, I think there will be a Kickstarter. It seems that loads of MMO vets have come out of the woodwork once they saw the first MMO kickstarter getting of the ground.

This is a good thing, but the MMO market is saturated up to its eyeballs, can any MMO get traction? And the more of these alternative gameplay MMO's that are launched, the more likely it is that none of them become a big success.