Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Identity Crisis

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Poll highly scewed by far too many DaoC fans on this site.

The only way to get a PURE poll is to got to a TES fansite where there are nothing but TES fans, even if they are also DaoC fans...here, you end up with more DaoC fans that dont play TES at all and dont give an eff as long as they get something close to the same crap they played 12 years ago.

Pure TES fans are far more pissed off and can be plainly seen on the offical TES forums as well as the mod sites.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by jtcgs

The only way to get a PURE poll is to got to a TES fansite where there are nothing but TES fans, even if they are also DaoC fans...here, you end up with more DaoC fans that dont play TES at all and dont give an eff as long as they get something close to the same crap they played 12 years ago.

Pure TES fans are far more pissed off and can be plainly seen on the offical TES forums as well as the mod sites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVCtkzIXYzQ

Dear, its sweet to see that you just want to see a poll where 100% just voted up the same/your opinion, right?

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by aylwynn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVCtkzIXYzQ

Dear, its sweet to see that you just want to see a poll where 100% just voted up the same/your opinion, right?

LOL Did you search the web for this or do you have it bookmarked?

While I don't think polls here or on TES sites are really going to reflect accurately the overall opinions I will say that reading other sites, not just this site, these arguments and problems with the design are everywhere. There is, at the very least, a problem even if it isn't one that will be addressed. The problem being that their design was ment to bring MMO players and TES players together on common ground and all it seems to be doing is polorizing them.

• walltarwalltar Member Posts: 58

So do you have TES tattooed on your butt cheek? I am fan of TES, never played DAoC but i like the way they are going ... but well i don't have my butt cheek tattoo so i am not pure enough fan.

By the way did you have to give blowjob to Todd Howard to get your "Pure TES fan" stamp?

Well i hope that "pure" TES fans won't buy thig game ... because judging by you they are bunch of morons.

Originally posted by walltar

Well i hope that "pure" TES fans won't buy thig game ... because judging by you they are bunch of morons.

Funny, it seems the developers also have this viewpoint which is why so many are not happy about the game. Still, at least the developers did their market research, about as good a job as their design concept right!

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    people need to stop trying to compare this DAoC and judge on it's own merits.
    Originally posted by muffins89
    people need to stop trying to compare this DAoC and judge on it's own merits.

Well given the info release so far I have...and it falls short in many ways. The reason people are using DAOC to compare is because you have to be blind to not see that the design for DAOC has been copy/pasted here.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

No, they've taken over the TES fansite as well.  A bunch of members with 2012-2013 join dates raging at anyone who says something against ESO.  You would probably have better luck at nexus.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I'm thrilled they went with DAOC style RvR system. There is no better PvP MMO ever.
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by OgreRaper
    I'm thrilled they went with DAOC style RvR system. There is no better PvP MMO ever.

It's still around and no one is playing it.  Funny that the best PvP MMO has less active players than Morrowind.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by sapphen

It's still around and no one is playing it.  Funny that the best PvP MMO has less active players than Morrowind.

The RvR system in DAOC is the best IMO. But admittedly, the character control, combat, and the engine have not aged well. Also the graphics are ancient too.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Aslong as the combat is better than the previous elder scrolls games of move backwards while mashing a mouse button ftw I will be happy.

Oblivion and Skyrim had a lot going for them, but cause and effect gameplay and combat were not two of them, so if they can improve these parts and give me a world to explore, I will be happy there for a while :)

• Personally I see it as Elder Scrolls where they've kept most of the core concepts of exploring and questing, but have taken advantage of the fact that it's now multiplayer to accomplish things you couldn't in the single player game. Such as exploring dungeons in a party and combating other players. Hopefully it'll turn out fun.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

These forums are so full of misinformation and speculation about ESO.

If you really want to know what TES fans think of ESO then vist the Bethsoft forums.  http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/190-elder-scrolls-online-general-discussion/

If you actually want to know what the game is about, then either go to: http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/ Or http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Then you would take away the depth the quest, story and dungeons could have when they are designed just for your faction. It will drive faction pride like it did in DAoC.

Just to focus on this part...

What is stopping these fame quests being located around the explorable world? What would be stopping these quests being only available to your faction but elsewhere in the world other then your own lands? Where the quests are located doesn't affect faction pride, what you do on the quest does.

So again exactly why resctrict exploration of the world?

Because all that is left to me is being unable to talk to people outside your faction outside your faction lands and not seeing other factions wandering around. Chat can be restrcited so that isn't an issue or a reason to restrict exploration. And outside Cyrodil you cannot PvP and could hide faction aliegence too.

So what is left?

Do you take pride in your home land in RL? Do you get up in arms when a different country is invaded? Does a terrorist attack in another country make you want to run there to help? For most, not really. So you questing in your factions area it becomes your factions home, something to get upset about when NPC dark elves are killing farmers. Seeing every faction running around makes it not your home really? Its now just a play space. So when this is your home and quests, story in that area are about the war and you get to do something about it, it gets you reved for the war.

On top of all this, you have the TES fans who dont play for PvP and they are going to need a PvP free area to PvE. The flag mechanic does not work as you can trick anyone into flagging. Been MMOing 13 years and seen many ways to bug people who just want to PvE and be left alone. Forcing them into a open world PvP game is really taking away from what TES is about. DAoC template is the best fit for this game and the gold standard of PvP. No one had topped DAoC since its come out.

• BrohimeBrohime Member Posts: 34

The elder scrolls spiritual DAoC successor??? I think not. Check out Camelot Unchained. Seriously. Mark Jacobs( the other CoFounder of DAoC) is the head of this game, and he will actually do RVR the RIGHT WAY.

Here is a link.

Tell your friends.

bye.

http://citystateentertainment.com/camelotunchained/

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam
    This whole thing has fascinated me.  I can't remember ever seeing a game where its IP's fans generally seem to hate the concept but another IP's fans have adopted it as their own.  I can't recall ever seeing a fan-transplant like this where DAoC fans are defending this to the hilt while TES fans are generally dismissive.  That speaks volumes to me about how badly they've screwed up their PR in how the game is perceived, and that's without even considering whether their design choices are wise or not.

Thats becuase your biased so you see what serves your purpose.

You are focusing on one aspect of the game and acting like its the only issue to discuss. its kinda sad when people do this and then you read posts like this.  TES fans want a teso that is a copy of tes games but mmo (which will not work, without changing the dynamic , but w/e they don't care QQ. This being said they could have been more TEs then the daoc route that is for sure).

DAOC people ot w/e non-ignorat people might comment of you CANNOT DO XXX AND IT BE GOOD, with a yes you can and it has been good in the past (not an agrument that teso should do it, only that the post is clearly falacious). And there has been a lot of pro-daoc aspect too like i loved that in daoc and want it in more of my mmos. But be clear TESO is more similar to tes game then its even close to daoc. Thats the reality of the situation. But there are aspects that are very similar to daoc, its just not most of the game.

So as far as your statement about IPs its obviously a false naritive, even if widely accepted.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by Brohime

The elder scrolls spiritual DAoC successor??? I think not. Check out Camelot Unchained. Seriously. Mark Jacobs( the other CoFounder of DAoC) is the head of this game, and he will actually do RVR the RIGHT WAY.

Here is a link.

Tell your friends.

bye.

This game will be nothign liek daoc MJ has said so himself, well with what he wants to do. It will have pvp thos if all daoc was only pvp (class, equip, abilitys, everythign else doesn't factor in, including how and where you pvped) then sure, but i could say the same about GW2 and WAr. But then i would be as incorrect as you.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

Do you take pride in your home land in RL? Do you get up in arms when a different country is invaded? Does a terrorist attack in another country make you want to run there to help? For most, not really. So you questing in your factions area it becomes your factions home, something to get upset about when NPC dark elves are killing farmers. Seeing every faction running around makes it not your home really? Its now just a play space. So when this is your home and quests, story in that area are about the war and you get to do something about it, it gets you reved for the war.

On top of all this, you have the TES fans who dont play for PvP and they are going to need a PvP free area to PvE. The flag mechanic does not work as you can trick anyone into flagging. Been MMOing 13 years and seen many ways to bug people who just want to PvE and be left alone. Forcing them into a open world PvP game is really taking away from what TES is about. DAoC template is the best fit for this game and the gold standard of PvP. No one had topped DAoC since its come out.

If I emigrated to another country I would take pride in that country too. If Either country went to war I would do my part. If my home country and my new home went to war I would have a moral dilema but probably try and stay out of it if I could.

If a country goes to war the fight takes place in 3 places potentially. In the country where the fighting is taking place, in your home country and in the enemy country. If you don't think spying, sabotage, propoganda and all the other aspects of warefare do not happen anywhere except the place of fighting then you are ignorant of how war works.

And who said anything about open world PvP? It is a possibility to have PvP anywhere, perhaps on a different instance of the megaserver. It is possible to have flagged PvP on another instance. But with locked down borders those options are impossible. I would rather design it so these options were available then not.

Hell the developers have justified having no PvP outside Cyrodil by saying all the factions have agreed to only fighting in the middle. If they can use bullshit like that to justify putting in artifical barriers to prevent exploration why couldn't they keep the same agreement in place with full exploration?

And if no one has topped DAOC why isn't it a roaring success? Why isn't it still popular? I mean old games are still being played and are still popular so why not DAOC? Rose tinted glasses come to mind. And it is was so successful why hasn't it been done since? It is just a string of excuses by unimaginative people defending a position with no reasonable justification then DAOC had it, Matt Frior is designing it so it must be good and it will be just as good as DOAC was. Sorry but it either is or it isn't DOAC2. If it is stop calling it TESO, if it isn't then stop using DAOC mechanics preventing TES mechanics form being used.

• BrohimeBrohime Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

Here is a link.

Tell your friends.

bye.

This game will be nothign liek daoc MJ has said so himself, well with what he wants to do. It will have pvp thos if all daoc was only pvp (class, equip, abilitys, everythign else doesn't factor in, including how and where you pvped) then sure, but i could say the same about GW2 and WAr. But then i would be as incorrect as you.

So is Elder Scrolls more of a spiritual successor? No way. I mean C'mon it even has the same lore! And it is solely focusing on RvR which is what made DAoC great! As for "spiritual successor",  I think this is mostly do to legal reasons since EA has rights to DAoC.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

oh... lol I like the expression "pure TES fans".

Well... I have no idea what a "pure TES fan" is... must be some type of master race crap talk again, STILL... a pure, and I mean PURE TES fan will never play TESO since its not a single player game. TES are single player games... therefor a "PURE TES fan" will never play anything but a TES game that is EXACTLY like the other TES games - single player because thats the first and foremost important aspect of TES.

Therefore "pure TES fans" have no actual right to try to steer a mmo - stick to your "pure" single player game.

Think this closes the conversation about "pure TES fans".

Me? Well I'm pretty flexible... TES games are awesome and I think TESO will be awesome... but different. But I can embrace different games from a multitude of genres.

Now if Mass Effect went the mmo way done right, damn I would be in trouble cause... mass effect mmo vs tes mmo I would be really in trouble. Thanks for who ever decided not to release a mass effect mmo and not forcing me to a very very hard decision.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

And if no one has topped DAOC why isn't it a roaring success? Why isn't it still popular? I mean old games are still being played and are still popular so why not DAOC? Rose tinted glasses come to mind. And it is was so successful why hasn't it been done since? It is just a string of excuses by unimaginative people defending a position with no reasonable justification then DAOC had it, Matt Frior is designing it so it must be good and it will be just as good as DOAC was. Sorry but it either is or it isn't DOAC2. If it is stop calling it TESO, if it isn't then stop using DAOC mechanics preventing TES mechanics form being used.

For a 10 year old game with outdated mechanics and graphics it still is making money and doing very well ty.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Here is a link.

Tell your friends.

bye.

Kinda the same thing people said when he was working on Warhammer.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by sapphen

You are reaching pretty far here, for one how would you even guage how many people play morrowind? Two, if you had ever played DAOC you'd know the game isn't exactly friendly to the current MMO audience from a game-play stand point.

DAOC's PVP was good, the game-play in and of itself by standards even in 2003 was pretty archaic, the same could be said for a few MMO's that released before 03. Had mythic kept their game current ( at least close to) this wouldn't be the case, the last major changes were years and years ago and they were only done on the visual side.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

oh... lol I like the expression "pure TES fans".

Well... I have no idea what a "pure TES fan" is... must be some type of master race crap talk again, STILL... a pure, and I mean PURE TES fan will never play TESO since its not a single player game. TES are single player games... therefor a "PURE TES fan" will never play anything but a TES game that is EXACTLY like the other TES games - single player because thats the first and foremost important aspect of TES.

Therefore "pure TES fans" have no actual right to try to steer a mmo - stick to your "pure" single player game.

Think this closes the conversation about "pure TES fans".

Me? Well I'm pretty flexible... TES games are awesome and I think TESO will be awesome... but different. But I can embrace different games from a multitude of genres.

Now if Mass Effect went the mmo way done right, damn I would be in trouble cause... mass effect mmo vs tes mmo I would be really in trouble. Thanks for who ever decided not to release a mass effect mmo and not forcing me to a very very hard decision.

Ehummm...well said ;)

Same here, definitly fit the the name of TES fan, but also MMORPG fan. I know what to expect from a singleplayer game and that feeling from playing them can never be matched by a MMORPG, you simply do not effect the world in a pve way like all TES games do. I feel people underastimate what a TES game gives and only imagine more people running around in the same game where the game is expected to behave the same like we know out of our singleplayer experiances.

You simple can't have that "feel" try and we end up with games like SWtOR (which I liked as a Co-Op Online Star Wars Combat Game) but absolutely disliked for it's MMORPG aspects. With what they delivered they should have made a co-op singelplayer game and much of it's budget would have been much better spend and could have brought allot more depth to the game especially in the cause and effect section where you actually can influence the world.

Now as said TESO is going to be a MMORPG, they actually show balls to bring us a different experiance then what we allready know and love from the regular TES series. That experiance simple can only be matched by another singleplayer game or hopefully with some co-op options. For a MMORPG it NEEDS to be different, yet I am sure it will also feel familiar.

We get a change to actually be part of some faction that actually means something, we can have different type of players playing in one game world, sure we might be separated from other factions but do I really walk in real life into area's/lands/country's I really should not be in. Is it really that hard for some gamers to accept the faction lock?