Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Do you play male or female characters?

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Resisting the urge to post up old bloodninja graphics. /cast Sym of Resist

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by xeniar

I don't really get why Males play female characters..

Are you that insecure about your posible gayness that you HAVE to stare at a female pixxel ass in order to feel confident about yourselves?

As i always play a tank/melee class i want them to look badass with that heavy armor so i alway play male. Also because i am a male. i jsut never roll anything with mana:P

Completly agree with you. Males playing female chars are weird.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    I have no insecurities about playing either gender.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

Sometimes I play male toons. Sometimes females.

Regarding game mechanics there isn't much of a difference between the choices. Although in older RPG gender imposed some restrictions (e.g. different max values for strength). Partly that was a result of gender stereotypes.

Admittedly female characters offer more appearance options in todays' games. If you like to try a lot of different outfits then female is the way to go. And no, I don't have "bikini mail" in mind...

In online games you have all those cultural aspects. When people interact with another player's character, they treat it according to their own cultural background. If that character is female they might rather treat it like a woman (despite better knowledge). Could people act otherwise? When you get to know the other player then things change. Then they will be treated according their true gender.

Opposed to that is RP (and non-H&S PnP). There you really try to act as if your character belonged to a different cultural background (campaign setting/lore), gender, etc.. It's not really that easy, but it's a good lesson in improvisational theatre. If you really wanted to play a character of different gender (and in a convinving way) then it's probably best to do so on an RP server. On a normal server that might rather lead to lots of irritations.

When playing a female character I never had a situation where someone offered gifts. On the other hand I wouldn't accept it anyways. Flirting happend two or three times, but since I'm not interested I'll say so. But then most players were rather interested in getting the game goals done and usually don't bother with the gender of a character (or assumed true gender of the player behind that character).

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    My melee characters are male, ranged/casters are a mix of males and females. It's about 50/50 for me really.

imageimage
  • WumiWumi Member UncommonPosts: 85

Hm well it doesnt rly have anything to do with sexual insecurity for me at least. If you have to wonder about if thats it is... that kinda means that you got a problem with yourself.

Me being a dude playing female chars sometimes has something to do with ...the only time i can make a chick do allmost what ever i want! Wohooo! Try that IRL ^^

In WoW a gnome female lock was fun as hell

In Aion female chanter was just evil and helpfull at the same time

In Planetside 2 there is something satisfying about a lil girl taking down big bad guys...and in a bad way too XD

Wumi - SWG - Bloodfin - Cancelled
    Wumi - WoW - Eu-Kazzak - Cancelled
    Bulldozer - Aion - Eu-Kahrun - Cancelled
    Wumi - Rift - EU-Riptalon - Cancelled

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    I'm gay and I always play a male character if that's of any help.

REALITY CHECK

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Thillian
    I'm gay and I always play a male character if that's of any help.

I rest my case :)

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

A male playing a female character means nothing...

...except that you probably have your sights on being a drag queen when you grow up.

Optional PvP = No PvP

So far as I see it, when one is creating a character they are either;

- Making a genuine representation of themself.

- Making an ideal representation of themself.

- Making something they fantasize about being (RP).

- Making an object of sexual desire.

- Don't care about character creation and just making a stupid looking toon for the lulz and pwning noobs in pvp.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    what if a game offers transgender toons ala teras male elf? then what is said about people who play those characters?:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek

A male playing a female character means nothing...

...except that you probably have your sights on being a drag queen when you grow up.

We'll see.

I've only played girls in recent memory, though I've never been tempted to wear women's clothing :P 

I think it's more likely to have to do with being single for a while.

I wanted my last GF to cosplay as an elf, that didn't go down well. Alas. Still LF a witty, intelligent, nerdy life partner.

• insaner666insaner666 Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Ah, text-based rpgs...no wireframe models to get hangups over.

Interesting phrase here.

Back in the days when video games where different, Male character were the majority.

THE REAL RPG pen/paper, not the eletronically digital version, males playing females were harrassed.

I Guess Pop-Action no care for the REAL RPG stuff  care about the ass of the character in a eletronic mmorpg nowadays.

Let's imagine these same players playing  a pen/paper RPG, or a text based rpg?

would they play males or females? (changing the scenario a bit)

Shame none of my RL friends even understand what 'WoW' is.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Male priests, female archers.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NatticNattic Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by xeniar

I don't really get why Males play female characters..

Are you that insecure about your posible gayness that you HAVE to stare at a female pixxel ass in order to feel confident about yourselves?

As i always play a tank/melee class i want them to look badass with that heavy armor so i alway play male. Also because i am a male. i jsut never roll anything with mana:P

If I am going to stare at the back of something for days on end....  Its not going to be male

Originally posted by insaner666

Interesting phrase here.

Back in the days when video games where different, Male character were the majority.

THE REAL RPG pen/paper, not the eletronically digital version, males playing females were harrassed.

I Guess Pop-Action no care for the REAL RPG stuff  care about the ass of the character in a eletronic mmorpg nowadays.

I'd still play a female. I have no transgender issues :P I just prefer telling the story of a female. Harrassment doesn't bother me.

Originally posted by Razeekster

I'm a male playing a female because I'm gay and feel as if I'm more girl than man in real life anyways. I make sure to tell that to people in-game though. Thankfully there seems to be an abundant amount of LBGT friendly guilds in the games I play so I usually don't run into homophobic asses :)

P.S. Although sometimes I play guy characters just to stare at their hot bods :D

i rest my case? XD

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

difficult poll.

Where is the choice "I'm a male who plays either male or female characters depending on their "character" and how he thinks they fit into the game based upon self ascribed back story, personality, motivations, etc.

It's a bit "role play" but it's sort of how I go about it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

Sorry, should have added more voting options.

I didnt foresee all these responses and the way the discussion turned out.

There seems to be alot of homophobics around, thats for sure.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt
    Originally posted by insaner666

Interesting phrase here.

I'd still play a female. I have no transgender issues :P I just prefer telling the story of a female. Harrassment doesn't bother me.

Same, I would RP a female char in D&D or whatever no problems and have done repeatedly. Me doing so expresses no more desire to be a girl in RL then me playing a dwarf makes me want to be a dwarf. The further away from me a character actually is usually makes them all the more challenging (and therefore fun) to play.

I couldn't imagine anything more boring then to play carbon copies of myself constantly, physically and mentally, in D&D... and I am pretty sure that isn't the point of the 'role' in 'role playing' anyhow.

I have never experienced one second of 'harrassment'.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by IG-88

Sorry, should have added more voting options.

I didnt foresee all these responses and the way the discussion turned out.

There seems to be alot of homophobics around, thats for sure.

I don't care about what people play, but i find male playing female sometimes tricky, he uses it to promote himself, like obtaining items from the  no GF nerdy idiot .

I don't get why playing as a male can be homo-erotic, male ass doesn't means nothing to me i dont look at ass while playing, i look at the UI i look at my character shooting, my character swinging a sword an etc

I Play Females and Males, Mostly males:

A - A representation of myself

B - A story to be told with a charismatic protagonist ( no care if it's male of female)

X - I don't feel attracted to pixels, im being honest, at thirteen maybe but now my GF is enough for me to not use some pixeled created image as an sexual desire thing

I Enforce players to do what they want ! play Males, or Females we don't care !!

But please dont use any of these to trick on other peoples or something... (maybe trick some nerdy childs XD)

Im just trolling there, but man there's homofobic in varios ways.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I have a penis, therefore, I play a male character.

The characters I create are an extension of myself. I never understood how guys play girls, or girls play guys and not think anything of it. I guess it's the same people that don't care what their character's names are, or how those names are a reflection of how others view them in game.

Joined - July 2004

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    I'm a gay female who plays both equally. I play role-playing games to have the option to play many different characters, and gender is just one difference.