Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Hardware Review] General: The Roccat Isku FX Keyboard Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Part of any gamer's bread and butter is the peripherals used when duking it out in an MMO. In our latest gamer hardware review, we take a look at the Roccat Isku FX Keyboard. See how it measures up before heading to the comments to add your thoughts.

The Isku FX comes complete with all the bells and whistles you’d expect of a modern “gaming” keyboard.  Lots of additional functionality and programmable hotkeys, backlighting that can be altered to suit your tastes, there’s thumb-keys that essentially act as “shift” keys and with the Roccat Easy-Shift[+] software this essentially adds a ton of macros to your keyboard that wouldn’t be possible without the easy-shift commands.  In fact, Roccat’s kind enough to actually package the thing with a few default commands for World of Warcraft and other games.  It’s not a mechanical keyboard, but the keys themselves are of solid design, there’s a great bit of space below the bottom row of keys and thumbster keys for your wrists to rest on making it a very ergonomic keyboard. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's The Roccat Isku FX Keyboard Review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SlargashSlargash Member Posts: 3
    btw Roccat is a German company ^^ with headquarters @ Hamburg...
  • Bicknell55Bicknell55 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    I so try to support the USA workforce (jobs) ... so will not buy

Bick

• Revy106Revy106 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Ah you americans lol crack me up
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Is it just me or does the Logitech series surpass every keyboard i see?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Nitth

Not just you ;)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• MastrshadowMastrshadow Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by Nitth

Not just you ;)

My G510 agrees

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Bicknell55
    I so try to support the USA workforce (jobs) ... so will not buy

thats why the best Japanese RPGs of all time never comes to America..... we get to recieve the crappiest leftovers from japanese games as a token of pity.

i want this keyboard, maybe we get to build peripherals and hardware with this quality someday too.

• BenezettaBenezetta Member UncommonPosts: 94
    It looks clunky and doesn't do anything that my Logitech doesn't already do at a cheaper price.
  • Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

Any keyboard that does not have mechanical keys  cannot be considered a serious option for gamers. 

Logitech and Razer are the massmarket McDonalds type keyboards that the blind and unknowing masses who do not have a clue on advanced keyboarding performance buy. They are, the Justin Biebers and Britney Spears of keyboards. 

Personally I'm a fan of the QPad MK-85 which i have with cherry-brown keys, the perfect combination of smoothness with a slight tactical feedback. But also decent are Deck, Ducky Shine, DAS Keyboards and Filco. 

But be warned. Try any of the above mentioned keyboards and you will never, ever be able to enjoy yourself with a regular keyboard again and you'll be like me smiling and softly shaking your head when someone tries to claim Logitech is the best keyboard, seeing in them the same lack of understanding the bigger world that teen girls have when they claim Justin Bieber is the best musician the world has ever seen. 

By the way for all you America lovers Logitech is a Swiss company. And they do make great mouses but their keyboards are junk. 

Finally, with all due respect to the reviewer, spending $99 on a keyboard that does not have mechanical keys is a horrible investment. The reviewer claims that he doesn't like the sound of mechanical keyboards but cherry brown MX keys don't make that much noise and even if a little noise is too much there are the Cherry -Red mechanical keys that don't make any sound at all. My previous keyboard was a Filco Majestouch 2 with cherry red MX-keys, for $30 more then this piece of crap keyboard you reviewed, you would have a keyboard that gives you an infinitely better tactile feedback on your keys while the wife can still sleep.  

• ortheneorthene Member UncommonPosts: 13

Revy106 writes:

Ah you americans lol crack me up

was waiting for a typical comment like yours lol.  So.. Nothing to offer here ^^

• SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    I'm happy i chose the corsair vengeance k90, best keyboard ever.
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    SteelSeries Merc Stealth here... love the arrow keys on the left and the extra keypad. It's bigger, but in this case... Bigger is Better ;)
  • AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Why the hell would anyone buy a non-mechanical keyboard? What a pointless review. If you don't like loud keyboard, then just get a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Black keys, they aren't very loud at all. All non-mechanical keyboards are an absolute waste of money.
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

I happen to have a mechanical keyboard, I just like the feedback from using it. Other than that I have absolutely no idea how my current keyboard is in any way superior to a non-mechanical keyboard? Can someone explain why this could possibly be the case? Can I click quicker, more accurately with a mechanical over a non? Is the amount of keystrokes processed so much higher with a mechanical that my Sc2 skills would become akin to a young koreans?

/shrug -  not sure,  I just like the feedback.

• Alexander.BAlexander.B Member UncommonPosts: 90

I absolutely despise my Logitech keyboard BUT I will vouch they have the best mice. After using my girlfriend's DAS Mechanical -- I fell in love (used to use an ABS M1 Mechanical until the W and D gave up.)

• TacBoyTacBoy Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Another vote for the SteelSeries Merc Stealth. Once you get used to the left side keypad it is hard to go back. I can easily reach all my number keys with one hand. And the buttons are different hieghts, shapes and sizes making it easy to tell what key I'm hitting. And the dynamic remapping per game/macros/backlighting are done well.
  • Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by Redemp

I happen to have a mechanical keyboard, I just like the feedback from using it. Other than that I have absolutely no idea how my current keyboard is in any way superior to a non-mechanical keyboard? Can someone explain why this could possibly be the case? Can I click quicker, more accurately with a mechanical over a non? Is the amount of keystrokes processed so much higher with a mechanical that my Sc2 skills would become akin to a young koreans?

/shrug -  not sure,  I just like the feedback.

Yes you can click faster and more accurately with a mechanical keyboard. The secret is in the tactile feedback you get, as a result you don't have to press the button all the way in, and you get a notification that you can go to the other key. For someone who types with 2 fingers that doesn't matter much but for a fast blind typer there is a real difference in keystrokes per minute with a mechanical keyboard. 

A good game oriented mechanical keyboard will also give some advantage, not huge but its there. A mechanical keyboard with cherry MX brown, red or black keys will give you just that much extra tactile feedback and speed that might mean the difffernce between your headshot and that of the other guy in an fps. That's why you will always see mechanical keyboards at game tournaments. 

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Will definately be purchasing this, have supported Roccat since I first heard about them much prefer to buy the quality Roccat products over paying for a brand name with Razer products.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I don't understand what the real big difference between mechanical and digital keyboards are.  I've played with both, and I actually like the digital ones.  They're quieter, and I can type and manipulate the keys alot faster, since I barely have to push the key a whole 1/8th of an inch if even that.  I think mechanical's last longer though, so maybe that's why players like them...but I don't have a problem with the feedback on my digital keyboard, it feels different than a mechanical, but after a few hours, you get used to it.  If I can flaw my current keyboard any, it's that it's too sensitive, I almost barely hover my finger over the key and it seems to hit it lol.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by TacBoy
    Another vote for the SteelSeries Merc Stealth. Once you get used to the left side keypad it is hard to go back. I can easily reach all my number keys with one hand. And the buttons are different hieghts, shapes and sizes making it easy to tell what key I'm hitting. And the dynamic remapping per game/macros/backlighting are done well.

I used that for a good while.  Then I discovered the awesomeness of using a G110 keyboard with the G13 for the "left pad".  Much more fluid experience .. in my experience. =)

Plus I like having my temps / FPS / Load displayed on the screen built into the G13.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

All modern gaming keyboards are the same crap, some with fancy lights or not, but all the same...

The best gaming keyboard I have ever have (and still own) is the Zboard from Steelseries (previously Ideazon).

The key layout is the best to play any game!

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    have been using a ms ergonomic keyboard now for several years, its a mechanical kb but as i touch type, a very good one imo, i can certainly type a lot faster and accurately on it than a standard keyboard layout, certainly helps in in-game chat, and also for emails etc. and my current keyboard only cost about £24 3 or 4 years ago, it has a bunch of function keys you can program but tbh, their not useful for anything, and i suspect that the same applies to other keyboards that have those functions, their little more than gimmicks. i even use a ms mouse, its a wheel mouse with an additional button on the left hand side, it comes in handy for teamspeak as the ptt key image