Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Do you play male or female characters?

Comments

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Originally posted by xeniar
    I don't really get why Males play female characters..

Are you that insecure about your posible gayness that you HAVE to stare at a female pixxel ass in order to feel confident about yourselves?

As i always play a tank/melee class i want them to look badass with that heavy armor so i alway play male. Also because i am a male. i jsut never roll anything with mana:P

LOL, you have it a$$ backwards, literally.

That's quite the insecure comment in itself. Maybe it's you who prefers to look at a male avatar butt.

Seriously though that comment of yours tells the whole story.

You are aware that homophobia is an indication of repressed homosexual tendencies right.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    I pick whatever character model i think looks best and I generally look up s/s and see what armor looks best on the models. female models imho usually look a lot better in armors and have better animations for my taste, but in wow I did play tauren male characters because the females looked odd same with trolls and orcs.. In gw2 i play male asura and charr because females look silly to me

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    If classes are gender locked and for example I wanna play an archer and it is called amazon in-game then I am stuck playing female even though I always play my real gender as opposed to gender swapping for the hell of it (and I tend not to stare at my character's ass so I don't mind it not being a female ass).

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Insert the typical "I'd rather stare woman's videogame @ss than male's" explanation. Like, when you go kill around stuff, you still only look at the @ss all the time?

Oh, and then the "but I'm a girl in RL *giggle* " explanation and your account shows you as male on the game's forums.

So many weird guys online these days.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Are you that insecure about your posible gayness that you HAVE to stare at a female pixxel ass in order to feel confident about yourselves?

As i always play a tank/melee class i want them to look badass with that heavy armor so i alway play male. Also because i am a male. i jsut never roll anything with mana:P

LOL, and *YOU* need to stand on a soapbox complaining about sexual insecurity?  I'm straight and during my time in the military, I've had my fun in different corners of the world doing stuff that you'd be embarassed to hear.  The Far East, the Med, South Pacific, etc.

[A salute to our Australian friends... you guys are by far the most outgoing, inviting, and sometimes very inebriated, hosts that I've ever seen!]

Anyways OP, I can have my toons be either.  It depends on the style and theme of the game, how it all goes together.  It sometimes comes down to the art and variety.  Let's face it, there are titles where all the quality artwork and design go to the female characters and equipment, while males look like a rock with armor painted on it in watercolors (a bit of an exaggeration, but hopefully you get the picture).

Also, when it comes down to male character design, I prefer a more average appearance, or regular soldierly look.  I don't like designs where my soldiers are stacked with muscles upon muscles, that have even more muscles on them, because that's completely unrealistic.  And on the other end of the spectrum, I don't like my male toons to look like they just stepped out of a woman's beauty salon.

I prefer my male characters to be "Average Joes," but on the other hand, I prefer my female characters to be "purdy."

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    i've always played a female character just because i would rather look at her ass and breasts instead of the sweaty hairy backside of a man, but recently i rolled a male character in gw2 and i gotta say, after staring at his movements for some time now, he's kinda hot.
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

I wonder if the guys that think guys who play female characters are strange are also so homophobic that they avoid watching any show/movie that has women as main characters, reading books that have female dialogues, and listening to music that has female vocals.

For me anyhow the "gender" never crosses my mind because they're pixels on a computer. Why would I give a flying fart if those pixels are arranged into pictures of boobs or hulking men? I'm playing a game to have fun, not change my psyche to turn myself into the opposite gender.

I can play a character with pixel boobs and still comprehend that I have male reproductive organs and that my girlfriend playing the game next to me will be enjoying that fact later.

I have troubles understanding how someone could be afraid to play a character in a video game that's the opposite gender. Are they afraid they're going to magically turn homosexual? Do they also believe wearing certain colors magically turns a person into a specific gender?

Oh, and I bet they can't play games like Monopoly because they're afraid they'll magically turn into a top hat, race car, dog, thimble, etc. Can't play scrabbble either because that would mean instead of being a man they're actually blocks of wood with letters on them. It's just mind boggling.

Oh, and the poll is missing the "I play either gender and any person of even remotely average or above intelligence and common sense would realize it doesn't matter" option. It's also missing the "I was raised a homophobic redneck so obviously a man that plays a female character in a game is gay hur hur hur" option.

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Originally posted by allendale5
    i've always played a female character just because i would rather look at her ass and breasts instead of the sweaty hairy backside of a man, but recently i rolled a male character in gw2 and i gotta say, after staring at his movements for some time now, he's kinda hot.

lol brilliant.

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Originally posted by allendale5

^^^^^^

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I'm a male playing a female because I'm gay and feel as if I'm more girl than man in real life anyways. I make sure to tell that to people in-game though. Thankfully there seems to be an abundant amount of LBGT friendly guilds in the games I play so I usually don't run into homophobic asses :)

P.S. Although sometimes I play guy characters just to stare at their hot bods :D

Smile

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    It was hard to vote for me because I play both depending upon the game.  If the female is easy on the eyes and I can make her wear skimpy clothes then female since she is easy on the eyes and that's what I am going to be looking at the majority of the time.  If not usually a male then.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt

The same discussion could be had about women in the military, police etc. Any work environment actually. It's old fashioned and attitudes towards women in the work place have changed.

This news just in: Place Kicker trying out for the NFL. Yep, she's female. What does it mean!? Analysis!

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the thread...

All right, back to work.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Yikes, 1/3 are males playing as females. Makes you think twice next time cybering in mmos :-)
  • ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Im a male, and... boobs. Thats all I have to say.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Yikes, 1/3 are males playing as females. Makes you think twice next time cybering in mmos :-)

...thought twice about that as far back as the 80s. I thought most of us had learned the hairy trucker lesson years ago.

MMOs didn't invent sexting, not even close.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

None of the above: I play both.

See Icewhite, we got a "guys playing girls"-thread again. I told you this was overdue!

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I play both - i have higher expectation about the look of my male avatars and often the games fail to meet this expectation while they offer an acceptable female avatar, some roles do fit better a male or a female avatar, some games offer only one gender per class etc...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

You are missing the option for both. I play male fighter types and female rogues and mages. To me at least those roles seem more natural. A male in robes just doesn't look right to me personally. Also females seem to be more naturally adept at being sneaky little backstabers as well(Sorry ladies). When it comes to big burly fighter types I always choose a male character just because it looks right to me. I'm not trying to be sexist or anything like that. In real life I strongly believe in equallity but in a fantasy world I view things a little differently.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Females. If in a gender locked game I always go for the class I like best in spite of the gender.  If given a choice I'd rather not play a male, I'm so used to female characters now that playing a male character feels weird. Like they're huge and blocky and it just feels like they don't have as much finesse (my own perspective, I know that this isn't really the case)
  • RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    I usually pick both. I like my characters the way they are in my head. It's not all about the TNA for female characters, I often make humble females or muscular ones. Men don't always have to be macho men with their arms the size of their head. It's sad that people only use the "Ideal Person" body types.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

LOL!

Does that mean YOU are so secure in your "gayness" that you feel completely comfortable looking at pixelated Man-ass.

I doubt it has anything to do with sexual orientation.

Quit being insulting.

For me, the gender of my character depends on what I want that character to be.

I usually play my melee or closer ranged toons as Male. Long range and casters as Female.

Also, I have found that females are treated very different than males in games. My female toons always get free stuff from male players.

That, and as a Male who loves Women, Id much rather look at a sexy looking female toon than some dude.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    I'm female and play BOTH female and male characters. Of course your poll had no option for that, so I just said female playing female, since I have MORE female toons than male, but I do play both.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

IG-88 - you should have added ' played both female and male'.

I play both.  I don't give a fuck playing a female character, despite being a guy.  I play whatever looks most appealing - maybe a female for that one class looks cool.  Maybe a male looks badass for that class.  Its whatever I feel like.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

i only play males since i like to RP and honestly i just dont get why people play females.

i always hear people ssya if im going to stare at a ass alll day i want it to be a female one, really cause i dont stare the the ass normally i usally am looking over the shoulder or what the hells going on.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I like to imagine myself in the games that I play. So I always play male characters. I also play whatever race is the shortest - I'm only 5' 4" in real life - and if possible make the toon look like me.

I could care less what toons others choose to play. I imagine some people are like me and want to create toons that look similar, while others what to RP someone they are not like at all. Neither way is the right or wrong way, play how you like.