Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Do you play male or female characters?

Comments

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

I mind and don't mind that males play female characters.

When they use their mic it creeps me out. Here you have this doll casting magic and suddenly there's this burling voice say ***what's up****, such an immersion breaker and so so annoying.

Really?

If i experienced that then i wouldn't stop laughing :)

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Mickle

For many years I always played a male.  Then one day a friend of mine was playing a female.  I asked why and he told me this.  Would you rather look at a guys a$$ or a females a$$ while you play?  I now play a female.

Also, around that time, I read that female characters get stuff for free.  I have found that to be true.  I have been given many items for free just because i looked good.  They could hear me in vent and knew I was a male but still gave me free stuff.

I will always play a female character for those two reasons.

It's true that females get things males do not, but there is a different side to this coin some aren't aware of.

Those female characters do not tend to be respected, it took me a lot more work as a female tank in EQ in a big 60+ player guild to be as respected as the male players.

It's really hard for a male to accept the fact that a female is giving them an order, you are at a huge disadvantage as a female if you want to give orders because many males do not accept it, the only acceptance came once I was given an officer tag and had standing in the guild, but it was extremely hard to get the same status as males have.

Still, even after having played the game for 8 something years and having raided every zone I can think of and having an officer tag in a well respected guild, I can feel the resistance some males have towards me because they think it hurts their pride by taking an order from a female, even though they have no issues taking the exact same order from a male.

And if you accept being treated differently it makes it impossible. So while some females (or even males acting like females) might think advancing in a game by taking advantage of their sex is helping them, it doesn't pay off if you want to get respected.

I would have never ever gotten the respect if I got there by taking gifts or abusing my sex.

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65

I creat sexy young female assassins in skimpy leather armour, because I'm a pervert.

ITT: 'Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls'  :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt
    I creat sexy young female assassins in skimpy leather armour, because I'm a pervert.

I create tauren warriors with huge....battle axes....because I'm compensating for something.

Remember those Final Fantasy toons with the eeeee-normous weapons? Yeah.

It's all insight for the shrink couch :nod nod:

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Vesavius

I find it dissapointing that guys playing as females in a game is noteworthy or discussion worthy in 2013 though tbh... I would have thought it was something that people had dealt with by now and gotten over.

What day is it? Seriously, what's known to happen, a lot, on weekends 'round here?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

For many years I always played a male.  Then one day a friend of mine was playing a female.  I asked why and he told me this.  Would you rather look at a guys a$$ or a females a$$ while you play?  I now play a female.

Also, around that time, I read that female characters get stuff for free.  I have found that to be true.  I have been given many items for free just because i looked good.  They could hear me in vent and knew I was a male but still gave me free stuff.

It's true that females get things males do not, but there is a different side to this coin some aren't aware of.

Those female characters do not tend to be respected, it took me a lot more work as a female tank in EQ in a big 60+ player guild to be as respected as the male players.

It's really hard for a male to accept the fact that a female is giving them an order, you are at a huge disadvantage as a female if you want to give orders because many males do not accept it, the only acceptance came once I was given an officer tag and had standing in the guild, but it was extremely hard to get the same status as males have.

Still, even after having played the game for 8 something years and having raided every zone I can think of and having an officer tag in a well respected guild, I can feel the resistance some males have towards me because they think it hurts their pride by taking an order from a female, even though they have no issues taking the exact same order from a male.

And if you accept being treated differently it makes it impossible. So while some females (or even males acting like females) might think advancing in a game by taking advantage of their sex is helping them, it doesn't pay off if you want to get respected.

I would have never ever gotten the respect if I got there by taking gifts or abusing my sex.

I think the issue is mainly just in your head. 

I've been in a competetive raid guild with a female raid leader. She wasn't to be fucked with and no one had a problem with taking orders from her. I guess as a girl you junst need to try that little bit harder to be dominant and your members will respect you.

I've been in a competetive raid guild with a female raid leader. She wasn't to be fucked with and no one had a problem with taking orders from her. I guess as a girl you junst need to try that little bit harder to be dominant and your members will respect you.

Yes, but she is in a raid leader position, if you take two equal players and one is female and the other male, I can guarantee you that a subset of male players will take more issues with accepting an order from a female than a male.

Once I was longer in the guild and the more I played and once I got my officer tag this notion faded though, so while you can be as respected as males in a game, the road there is not as easy. Males have a lot more pride tham female players and some males have a lot of issues when a female is in a position in a guild above them, males are authoritives figures, they display authority and other males look up to this, the same is much harder to do as a female.

When people accept gifts and take advantage of their sex as a female (real female or male) they make it harder on others to be respected as a female toon, because everyone now thinks they got where they are by accepting gifts.

Yes, but she is in a raid leader position, if you take two equal players and one is female and the other male, I can guarantee you that a subset of male players will take more issues with accepting an order from a female than a male.

This is why good raiding guilds recruit adults. Examine your recruitment.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Male adults have these issues, in fact I would say it's mostly adults who have these issues, younger people don't seem to have issues taking orders from females, it's once guys grow up that some feel they can no longer accept an order from a female, even if in school most males seem to have no issues with a female teacher.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    can never understand why some people get so het up about things like that, games are played for fun, though sometimes i think some people just think of them as opportunities to try to chat up females, and get hugely disappointed when they find out that the avatar they are trying to chat up is either a man, or a much older woman than they are prepared to deal with. Perhaps some people get so focused on games, that they allow their own social lives to suffer for it, MMO's arent a replacement for a social life after all, and anyone who gets upset over males with female avatars in a game probably are a little insecure about their own gender, or at least young enough not to be completely comfortable about such things. Games are games, they are not meant to be dating websites and people who try to treat them as such are disrespecting the games themselves. Perhaps thats just my perspective as an 'older' player image

Once I was longer in the guild and the more I played and once I got my officer tag this notion faded though, so while you can be as respected as males in a game, the road there is not as easy. Males have a lot more pride tham female players and some males have a lot of issues when a female is in a position in a guild above them, males are authoritives figures, they display authority and other males look up to this, the same is much harder to do as a female.

When people accept gifts and take advantage of their sex as a female (real female or male) they make it harder on others to be respected as a female toon, because everyone now thinks they got where they are by accepting gifts.

Okay I see where you're coming from. But men aren't all like that, I don't think any differently of male / female authority. In fact I prefer dealing with women and would find it easier to ask her questions if I were a noob :)

Originally posted by Phry
    Perhaps thats just my perspective as an 'older' player image

Careful there, we paint with realllly broad brushes in this topic.

Given the subject...yeah...ok. Outta here now.

But men aren't all like that

Agree, most males I play with are dolls and we get along just fine, they treat me as an equal, what I was talking about happens but is rare, I should have clarified this sorry.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

This whole thread is a non issue...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Male adults have these issues, in fact I would say it's mostly adults who have these issues, younger people don't seem to have issues taking orders from females, it's once guys grow up that some feel they can no longer accept an order from a female, even if in school most males seem to have no issues with a female teacher.

i don't think its that simple really, as quite often younger players may have an issue with authority figures, regardless of whether they are male or female, with maturity this can change, but its by no means a given. And while it is easy to 'generalise' it does tend to be, that mature players are more likely to work with others in team based games, or raids etc, which is why some raiding guilds etc do prefer to only recruit 'older' players, though by older  we're really talking 20+. image

can never understand why some people get so het up about things like that, games are played for fun, though sometimes i think some people just think of them as opportunities to try to chat up females, and get hugely disappointed when they find out that the avatar they are trying to chat up is either a man, or a much older woman than they are prepared to deal with. Perhaps some people get so focused on games, that they allow their own social lives to suffer for it, MMO's arent a replacement for a social life after all, and anyone who gets upset over males with female avatars in a game probably are a little insecure about their own gender, or at least young enough not to be completely comfortable about such things. Games are games, they are not meant to be dating websites and people who try to treat them as such are disrespecting the games themselves. Perhaps thats just my perspective as an 'older' player image

The same discussion could be had about women in the military, police etc. Any work environment actually. It's old fashioned and attitudes towards women in the work place have changed.

OT: I remember when I first started playing WoW, I assumed all female avatars were girls (lol). I developed a relationship with a blood elf who never cared to admit he was just a gay guy. I was on the point of suggesting a meeting IRL before 'she' admitted it. 

I learned my lesson that day, hah.

The same discussion could be had about women in the military, police etc. Any work environment actually. It's old fashioned and attitudes towards women in the work place have changed.

OT: I remember when I first started playing WoW, I assumed all female avatars were girls (lol). I developed a relationship with a blood elf who never cared to admit he was just a gay guy. I was on the point of suggesting a meeting IRL before 'she' admitted it. 

I learned my lesson that day, hah.

its a bit different when the person with the female avatar actually tries to lead people on though, sort of reminds me of the Catfish programme that was on TV lately, which tbh i thought was hillarious. image

I create tauren warriors with huge....battle axes....because I'm compensating for something.

Remember those Final Fantasy toons with the eeeee-normous weapons? Yeah.

It's all insight for the shrink couch :nod nod:

I lol'd :)

Yeah I guess it's quite interesting what type of character people would choose to play if they could be anything they want.

I bet you had a super high gear score (or e-peen rating) as well, lol.

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I am male and I play both depending the game and how the animations look. My wife plays both as well but has a tendancy towards male toons. I dont think very much about what the players gender behind thier toons really are, I only care about how they play thier class and how they treat others in game.
  • AridArid Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I'm a roleplayer, A male roleplayer so I mainly play male characters due to the fact I need to be able to put my feet in their shoes. If the game has no roleplay I go with whatever looks better at that time. Normally not a female but occasionally I do.
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by xeniar

I don't really get why Males play female characters..

Are you that insecure about your posible gayness that you HAVE to stare at a female pixxel ass in order to feel confident about yourselves?

As i always play a tank/melee class i want them to look badass with that heavy armor so i alway play male. Also because i am a male. i jsut never roll anything with mana:P

I think this topic in general has more to do with the general homophobic nature of most players.

I think it has to do with male gamers being very lonely, being upset they can't tell the difference, without directly or indirectly asking

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Where is the answer for both?

I make characters based on how I feel at the time. Iin cases of something like SWTOR, well I want to see how Kira reacts for a female compared to a male. It also depends alot on the game modling. I may like a race, but think the female/male of that race look utterly rediculous to me, so I will always choose the race that looks decent, male or female.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Originally posted by xeniar

I don't really get why Males play female characters..

Are you that insecure about your posible gayness that you HAVE to stare at a female pixxel ass in order to feel confident about yourselves?

Are you that insecure about your possible gayness that you HAVE to stare at that big, muscle packed tank MALE char and fantasising about lying in those strong arms, protected by an alpha male?

Im playing mmorpgs since 2002 and I read some weird shit about this topic, but you mister still managed to make my day with that post. you derped hard^^ ... be alway careful when it comes to this topic, because every assumption can be turned around easily.^^

... I play both genders, but mostly female.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I'm male and play male characters. 
  • Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    I'm male and I tend to play both, it's usually just down to which character looks the best. In a lot of mmos the male characters look so overly butch that I will often pick the female option. Just like I often play dwarfs but I'm 6ft tall so that obviously doesn't fit either because only small people should play dwarfs :)