Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over 30, come out come out wherever you are ...

Comments

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Think you'd like TSW as well. Definitely a bit of old school rpg in the questing. The ability wheel also interesting for figuring out comat builds.
  • markh777markh777 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    I am about 50 years old and been all over the mmo scene...lately I am so put off by rushed games and whatnot that I am now doing Single Player games mostly. However ...Path of Exile is very good and may be the break you need..depends if you dont mind the hack and slash stuff...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Give Aion a try, free to play, full featured, great for casual play. Keeping me entertained until some new ones are released later this year.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    OP I have a similar gaming experience to yours and Im over 30 also....The game that is missing from your list is Anarchy Online...its old school and if graphics aren't an issue (which Im guessing theyre not if you liked EQ), then I think you might appreciate the deep skill system....AO jsut merged so everyone is on one server and it is a friendly, helpful community.
  • MickleMickle Member UncommonPosts: 127

Nobody ever talks about Asherons Call.  It was a damn good game back in the day.

http://www.asheronscall.com/en

• noxaeternusnoxaeternus Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I have been playing TSW pretty seriously. Other than that, I am drifting too.

E: 86% S: 53% A: 40% K: 20%

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061
    DC Universe Online if you wanna try somethin different. =p

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• NalMannNalMann Member Posts: 2

The quest of achieving the same level of joy in gaming is becoming harder, or maybe it's the spirit of gaming dying as we age, cliché I know. Clear winners, are Vanguard and TSW followed by GW2. Truly, been ~ 10 years since EQ but definitely worth checking again, many expansions released. 

Thanks for the input. 

• PantherninpoPantherninpo Member UncommonPosts: 90

I'm going with The Secret World as well.  I've dabbled in every major MMO out and have both good and bad things to say about them.  The most mature storylines I find are in The Secret World.  The ambiance of that game is awesome.  Where else can you go to a Native American trailer park for a questing area?  Anyway, yeah.  That's my go-to.  I dabble in a lot of others now and then for different reasons.

TSW: Questing, adult themes, large horror fan.

Planetside 2: for my non-console FPS type of game but it's a persistent world with upgrades to your character.

Age of  Wushu: I log into that game because there's supposed to be some startling game play mechanics.  I have not had a good group that assists me in finding them, however.

DCUO: This is a somewhat decent game to play for it's PVP.  I cannot seem to get into a villain side guild though.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Judging by your scores, I'd suggest Vanguard.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Sugest Lotro.  As a 35yr old father I have found more people I can mentally relate to in LoTRO than any game I have played thus far.  You can play it extreemly casually, the storylines are pretty deep & engaging, and the game has aged well with time.  It is also quite a social game, if you enjoy just chilling out in an inn and playing some music & chatting.

I am looking forward to Wildstar, Neverwinter, & ESO.  (cautiously optomistic about ESO, as I think it's going to be trash)  But of the games out right now, only LoTRO has the community & game play that I personally enjoy.

**Edit**  I would also sugest TSW for the storyline's.  But the game is really short on content compared to almost every other MMO on the market.  (and no I don't count running the same dungeons over & over @ endgame as content)

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    I'm 50+ and I've played Lotro for quite some time.  I am currently playing The Secret World, which is a very different kind of MMO.  Good luck and have fun with whatever game  you choose.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Heretique
    Guild Wars 2

^ played all the games you mentioned i'm 31 right now:) and gw2 is only game that's keeping my attention for now

Ditto on all accounts.  Same age, same interest at the moment.  Although I think its great if you can get a real life friend to play GW2 with you.  I think I might have stopped playing if not for him.  He, and my guild of cool people keep me going when I begin to get bored. 

I get this overwhelming urge to leave, but then I do something different and suddenly I'm having lots of fun again.  I'm in a fun period right now, after sort of wanting to quit twice. 

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Depending on how long ago you played EQ2 you may want to give it another try. A lot of content and some good changes since when it was released. Other then that.... not much out there that I have found. I have played your list and then some. I am also more of a pvper though so games I am looking forward too you probably would not be. But EQNext supposedly we will see a release of some type this year.... dont hold your breath.

What Corehaven says helps in most games. Having friends or good active guild to run with makes any game better.

• VolnusVolnus Member UncommonPosts: 40

The sad truth is there are no games out there that will keep you entertained. There are a lot of good games out there but when you break them down you notice a pattern. THEY ARE ALL CLONES OF ONE ANOTHER. Look at it Guildwars 2 was a good game while it lasted however it lacked end game content. This is the issue every game has they can't create enough content, and the players don't want to create it. That is why sand box mmorpg's fail all the content is player created. 

So let me answer your question the best way I can you seem to dislike sandbox mmo's (EVE) which means you are a theme park guy. Try Guild wars 2 and if that fails the WOW train leaves at 6. 

• pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    i found Guild Wars 2 interesting, you might too
  • matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136
    I'm late 30's, played most of the games you've played.  First  MMO for me was EQ back in 1999.  As a couple others have stated GW2 is incredibly casual friendly.  I currently play GW2 on and off and Planetside 2 which is also pretty casual friendly as long as you drop into decent sized battles.  Since it plays a bit better with a squad/platoon, it's not as casual friendly as gw2 and it also isn't really in the same class of game.  But I have fun with both of em and switch off depenind on my mood.
  • HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126

I was playing this TSW when it got out and yeah stories are good, instances work well, however i was assault rifle specced and I pondered why the hell 90% you stand and fire guns at pointblank range like a melee weapon. i then got a skill with a timer that could slow movement but it didnt last long and usually i would run into other wandering mobs since there are so many mobs. Also some of the investigations quest where annoying and unfun. The graphics in TSW arent outstanding for a game of it's time.

I dont know what to recommend but you write that Rift is abit worse than Aoc? You seem to have tried every good western MMO sofar. 

I play some Eve online but I think that theres different things to do and When skills are building up Im just playing the game doing things and talking with others. Somehoe Eve can be done by not playing and buying 100 plex from the store then after logging in and managing skills your have powerfull skills and Isk. But anyone knows that is lame, you need to play a game not just wait. If you didnt enjoy the game I understand. What they wanted to do with eve is you will never reach endgame and then it's basically over. in most MMO's at endgame you grind the same 3 instances or raid 3 times a week or go PvP. Well I'd say in some MMO it's fine like in WoW since the updates are huge but other MMO There sometimes just 1 thing to do after a while.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    games arent a real hobby man, they are just short period time wasters-you should look for a real hobby, because thats what your looking for!
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

There are MMOs I play and somewhat enjoy, have a good time in for a few weeks... and then there are MMOs I really dig into.

The latter would be limited to EVE and WOW (back in the day), and probably Anarchy Online (way back in the day).

The former, well, I've played quite some... Among the relatively new ones have been SWTOR and The Secret World. Had a good enough time till level cap, but never really got that hooked as the above three games.

Considering your grading, I'd say Vanguard or LOTRO is more to your liking, while TSW would be alright to try. But as many said, I don't think you'll be able to find "the next big thing" for yourself out there right now. Many of us are yet to find it. The "next set of hopefuls" seem to be: EQ Next, The Elder Scrolls Online, Wildstar, ArcheAge and of course Blizzard's mysterious Titan.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Does it have to be an MMO?

Path of Exile is the only other online game on my computer that isn't in your scoring list. It's definately worth a look if you're into ARPGs.

Other than that I'd say try GW2, like others have said, and wait to try out Neverwinter (shouldn't be too long??)..

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

Over 50 and have played almost all the main MMO at least a little.

Unfortunately, I would agree with those describing two threads of evolution in MMORPGs since original UO: as games have gotten more beautiful visually they have gotten dumber.  Apparently the marketing data reveal that the largest target audience wants all gain with no pain.  Furthermore, we have moved from multi-player community focused gaming to single-player.

GW2 is a great example.  By the time you reach 80 you feel no sense of achievement - it has all been a time sink.  

Lack of ability to interact with the world around you, lack of real sense of danger, lack of a sense your character is unique - I could go on.  The only rays of light are the Kickstarters out there like Trials of Ascension and Embers of Caurus.  And flickers of life from the big companies like EQ Next (If you are willing to believe the teasers given out by Mr. Smedley).

Bioware and SWTOR have been the biggest disappointment, not because SWTOR is all that bad a game.  It is because it could have been so much more.  Finishing SWTOR doesn't leave you with quite that same dull ache you had coming out from seeing Episode I The Phantom Menace, but that is along the lines of the analogy I am seeking.

This may sound silly, but an early test of any game now for me is : can I sit in that chair?  As you'll recall from UO, you could sit in the chairs and benches around you.  If I go into an MMO, and they have lots of chairs and benches, but my character either cannot sit in them or can only do so using a horrid looking sprawl a la SWTOR - then something is wrong.

If I got a chance to post just one question about EQ Next to Smedley, that would be it:  Mr. Smedley, will our characters be able to sit in chairs? ;)

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

Sounds very close to the "mmo story of my life" as well, except, I've played a few more games than you. But generally, we've played the same base games, like EQ, EQ2, SWG.

I've desided that I will wait for EQnext, and hope that it will become my savior. 

So, to make time pass, I play EQ classic from the Project 1999 and EQ2 (ftp mode).

I hope time will pass quickly so that the morning will come where I wake up and realize that I get to play EQnext for the first time.

/Storm

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    I would check out LotR, TSW, and GW2. See what you think of those ones

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I assume the OP wouldn't want to give EVE another look but I highly suggest you do. I have found that for most people it doesn't click until the second time around, which is admittedly poor game design if it can't captivate you right off the bat, but it is what it is. Get yourself a good Corp but more important than that - know what you want out of the game. If you try to dabble in everything you will find yourself over-extended and bored.

Also, I recently started playing SWTOR again (never got past 18 before) and I am loving it. Did you play a DPS character in SWTOR by any chance? My first MMO (WoW) I played a tank and I never had another MMO click, and I think it's because I always tried to play DPS or healing to try something new, when really what I liked was tanking. Just a thought.

Beyond that I play a lot of lobby-type games in between that have persistent MMO elements that help me break up the tedius parts of EVE and SWTOR.  I play a ton of Hawken and Mechwarrior Online, and I just downloaded Star Conflict off of Steam. No RPG elements but I also play the crap out of Company of Heroes. I find that the older you get, the more of a meaningful experience you tend to be looking for, and if you play one game and nothing else you will never find it, because you spend so much time in the systems that game offers you that they are no longer interesting/unique.

My last recommendation for a PVE gamer is Star Trek Online. That game was suprisingly in-depth with the Duty Officers and Bridge Officers, I thought, and space combat was a ton of fun.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ