Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Do you play male or female characters?

IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

Since MMO´s let us enter an alternate reality and be what we normally not are, heroes, villains etc i was wondering what gender you enjoy playing, since you have a free choice.

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Poll missing... And it's been here more than once already...

Also, not every MMO allows you to choose between male/female. Some MMOs have a race/gender/class lock. Take a look at TERA, where Elin are only female and Popori are only male Same for Lord of the Rings online where all dwarfs are male (yes, they do pop out of the ground when they are born :p) and a lot of Asian F2P MMOs have a rather class/gender lock, where mages * rogues (archers) are mainly female and the warriors, tanks and healers are male.

But to answer your question, where possible I'll make a female character. It's the one thing that I have to look at constantly when playing, and then I'd prefer to see something I REALLY like :p

...see you've added the poll while I wrote my reply ;-)

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    I don't get why anyone cares.   I always play both, especially when the costumes are widely different. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    [miod edit]

When i choose gender i think what i want this character to be general my Melee characters are usualy male and my range characters are usualy female. It realy come down to what i want this character to be.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143
    I find female characters more dynamic in clothing etc, even if mine never dress very sexy.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    I don't get why anyone cares.   I always play both, especially when the costumes are widely different. 

I also roll both. I always roll a male on a RP server though.

TBH in most mmo's the males look as girlie as females so it doesn't really matter.

• UngetuemUngetuem Member UncommonPosts: 5

For me, it Depend´s heavily on Class... Tank for me, is everytime an Male...an Melee DD = Male ... Mage = Female 

An Archer/Summoner etc., i could play as both... and Heal Classes are everytime Female for me... 

Dunno why...but that´s how it is^^

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Ultimately who cares? MMOs are supposed to be role playing games, so people enjoy playing whatever role they fancy.

I mostly play male characters except where there is a different experience to be had playing a female character (e.g. the Black Widow speech options in Fallout 3), and sometimes I will roll a female if the male character models aren't to my liking (like Norns in GW2).

Males playing female characters have probably picked up a bad name from people doing so while also pretending they are female IRL, or people who say they like to look at the sexy pixels, or people who say they can flirt and get free stuff. But, of course, this hardly applies to everybody.

I like to look at it this way - how is playing a female character in an MMO really any different from writing from the perspective of a female character in book?

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Chose last option interpreted as, Don't know what the difference makes. I play both. Some games have stupid looking male models and great looking females. I can identify more with males but if they look like goons I will make a female.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242

For me, it all comes down to how my character looks. if I'm unhappy with the customization options for male characters, I usually roll female and vice versa. Then there's what looks best for different classes, what role I think fits the story, (if a story driven game), et cetera, et cetera.

I rarely think about what kind of "ass" I'm staring at, as for me, it's basically a bunch of pixels :P 

The only thing thast ticks me off, is if a MMO don't give me the option of choosing for myself, (Gender locked classes for example).

Originally posted by AzurePrower

Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    IMO it is kind of weird and homo-erotic when men play with other men. 

Serious question. But do you wear a hazmat suit 24/7 so you don't touch yourself?

Because I see the male characters I play in online games as a representation of myself to add to the immersion. In single player it doesn't bother me because I'm playing the character of some one else's story and not chatting to others on a personal level.

Insecurities aside. I see those who play female characters as a presentation for themselves in online games like they feel they should have been born a woman on a subconscious level.

There should really be a professionally done psychological study for this phenomenon. It would be an interesting read.

I totally disagree with the red. The only way I would actually think like that is when computer games are like the Matrix, you can't tell the difference between it and reality.

The reason people pick female or male is becuase they can. There's no unwritten rule to say you can't.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I play male characters and will always make males. Why because I try to make my characters as close as I can to make them look like me. (Sometimes I may bend it a little and give him hair, but most of the time they are bald. ) I see my character  so to say as me in a virtual world.

I personally dont get why a guy would play a female. To me that seems just like a boy playing with barbies. Its not healthy.  It seems some likes the look of female's I fully understand that, But i think its rather perverted to play with a female so you can stare at pixilated T&A all day. There are much better free options on the internet to get your deprived fixation off on.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I don't see characters I play in a game as a representation of myself. They're more like fictional characters I create, which - surprise surprise! - they are.

So it's not much different than writing the female protagonist of a story.

Myself, I may play both, depending on what sort of character I want to create at that moment - that in turn depending on lore, class, race, etc... I guess it's likely I've up to now created more male characters, but I've played a lot of female ones as well.

• MickleMickle Member UncommonPosts: 127

For many years I always played a male.  Then one day a friend of mine was playing a female.  I asked why and he told me this.  Would you rather look at a guys a$$ or a females a$$ while you play?  I now play a female.

Also, around that time, I read that female characters get stuff for free.  I have found that to be true.  I have been given many items for free just because i looked good.  They could hear me in vent and knew I was a male but still gave me free stuff.

I will always play a female character for those two reasons.

Originally posted by toddze

I play male characters and will always make males. Why because I try to make my characters as close as I can to make them look like me. (Sometimes I may bend it a little and give him hair, but most of the time they are bald. ) I see my character  so to say as me in a virtual world.

I personally dont get why a guy would play a female. To me that seems just like a boy playing with barbies. Its not healthy.  It seems some likes the look of female's I fully understand that, But i think its rather perverted to play with a female so you can stare at pixilated T&A all day. There are much better free options on the internet to get your deprived fixation off on.

I think thats the difference between you and I. You see MMORPG's as virtual worlds, where as I see them as games. Me picking a girl in an mmo is no different than me picking the top hat in monoply. There's no deep subconscious reasoning behind it.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

IMO it is kind of weird and homo-erotic when men play with other men. 

Serious question. But do you wear a hazmat suit 24/7 so you don't touch yourself?

Because I see the male characters I play in online games as a representation of myself to add to the immersion. In single player it doesn't bother me because I'm playing the character of some one else's story and not chatting to others on a personal level.

Insecurities aside. I see those who play female characters as a representation for themselves in online games like they feel they should have been born a woman on a subconscious level.

There should really be a professionally done psychological study for this phenomenon. It would be an interesting read.

It depends how you see the character you play. If you see yourself as them then it's fine if men play men I guess. If you see them as an actor in a movie/story you are watching (my case) then men playing women is fine.

From my experience kids, newbies and RPers usually fall into the first category. Experienced MMO players / hardcore players / PvPers fall into the second.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by immodium

Me picking a girl in an mmo is no different than me picking the top hat in monoply. There's no deep subconscious reasoning behind it.

Very well spoken!

I started playing female characters from day #1 I started to play MMORPGs. Lineage II was my 1st MMO and I wanted to pick a male char first, but their animations are so ...sissy... so I picked a female one instead. From that day on I decided to play female in every MMO/game I'd play it I was given the choice.

Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by immodium

Me picking a girl in an mmo is no different than me picking the top hat in monoply. There's no deep subconscious reasoning behind it.

Very well spoken!

I started playing female characters from day #1 I started to play MMORPGs. Lineage II was my 1st MMO and I wanted to pick a male char first, but their animations are so ...sissy... so I picked a female one instead. From that day on I decided to play female in every MMO/game I'd play it I was given the choice.

When I first started playing MMO's I did the usual "Make this toon look like me". I honestly thought everyone did that TBH. Now, I tend to pick female.

However I never used to role a toon on an RP server. When I did I actually found it to be very creepy. When grouping up with male toon's they'd always compliment me on my healing skillz. They did not thank anyone else through the dungeon, just me, the only female. :)

Now I roll male on RP servers. It did make me wonder though if I was female, would that sort of behaviour make me want to role a male?

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Most main characters in games are male so I like to switch it up a bit I think by choosing to play as female characters in MMOs or in games where they give you a choice (although I've been playing as male Shepard in Mass Effect...)

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

I'm male and I play only male characters. It happened only 2 or 3 times when I made female characters b/c I couldn't stand how bad armours looked on males. Usually designers put more work on females.

I treat my characters as representations of me in game, so I want other players to "see" me as me if you understand what I mean =P

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Ah, text-based rpgs...no wireframe models to get hangups over.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by QSatu

I treat my characters as representations of me in game, so I want other players to "see" me as me if you understand what I mean =P

This is valid. Different people relate to their avatars in very different ways. Some see them as themselves, some don't.

I personally don't see my character as myself, I don't RP in MMOs (I only do that in PnP games). My character is in no way a representation of me. Sometimes I play males, sometimes females... whatever looks and feels coolest to me in that particular game based on it's design and overall tone.

I find it dissapointing that guys playing as females in a game is noteworthy or discussion worthy in 2013 though tbh... I would have thought it was something that people had dealt with by now and gotten over.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by AzurePrower   Originally posted by dynamicipftw IMO it is kind of weird and homo-erotic when men play with other men. 
      Serious question. But do you wear a hazmat suit 24/7 so you don't touch yourself? Because I see the male characters I play in online games as a representation of myself to add to the immersion. In single player it doesn't bother me because I'm playing the character of some one else's story and not chatting to others on a personal level. Insecurities aside. I see those who play female characters as a representation for themselves in online games like they feel they should have been born a woman on a subconscious level. There should really be a professionally done psychological study for this phenomenon. It would be an interesting read.  
    It depends how you see the character you play. If you see yourself as them then it's fine if men play men I guess. If you see them as an actor in a movie/story you are watching (my case) then men playing women is fine.

From my experience kids, newbies and RPers usually fall into the first category. Experienced MMO players / hardcore players / PvPers fall into the second.

The difference is. The 'characters' you 'play' are serving as avatars of yourself when speaking to others online.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

In MMORPG's I mostly play male characters.  In SWG I knew and played with several female characters (played by men) Never really gave it a real thought as too why I choose male characters apart from trying to immerse myself into the game world as my alter ego, but also because this is a roleplaying genre where you can play as you please regardless your own gender/race or what ever.

With singleplayer games the female character might be the main character and I enjoy them as such.

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

Depends on game.

in SWTOR, i choose by the voice actor which in my experience the female actors is way better than the male ones.

Any other mmo, i first pick male then female for alt then male for the next and so on.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I mind and don't mind that males play female characters.

When they use their mic it creeps me out. Here you have this fragile doll casting magic and suddenly there's this burling deep manly voice that says ***what's up guys****, such an immersion breaker and so so annoying.