Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A proper use of F2P players

MickleMickle Member UncommonPosts: 127

Why not use them as NPCs, Mobs or indentured servents to make the game better for paying customes?

Spend so much time as an NPC and earn play time.

Same with Mobs and servents.

It should not be that hard and it could make games even more fun than they are now.

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    more fun for who ?
  • 9Prejudice9Prejudice Member Posts: 30

Lol all I can see from your post is your desire to be placed on a higher pedestal than the (lowly?) non-paying players. 

All the roles you talk about can be done by the AI, and nobody will play as a second-class citizen just because a game is F2P. There will be other games to go to.

Nah, there's no real need for it.

• MickleMickle Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by 9Prejudice

Lol all I can see from your post is your desire to be placed on a higher pedestal than the (lowly?) non-paying players. 

All the roles you talk about can be done by the AI, and nobody will play as a second-class citizen just because a game is F2P. There will be other games to go to.

I play F2P all the time.  I would luv a chance to be a dragon and kill some players.  I would enjoy being a bar tender.  I could choose to give/take 10% on the price and maybe give a hint to a nice player.  Most players do not like the grind of crafting.  I could do it if I get paid.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Look at my throne,
    my throne is amazing,
    give it a kneel.

That's what I was imagining while reading the OP.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Oh if I could play as mobs I'd never ever pay for a MMO ever again. I'd just grief every single paying player to no end however. You do not want want to replace basic AI with actual player for your own sake. 

And you know what "use" of F2P players is? They provide economy and fodder so others can actually play in decently populated environment. Withotu them, most of the MMOs that transitioned into F2P/Hybrid models would be just really boring singleplayer games because you'd never run into anyone else. 

Originally posted by Ezhae

Oh if I could play as mobs I'd never ever pay for a MMO ever again. I'd just grief every single paying player to no end however. You do not want want to replace basic AI with actual player for your own sake. 

And you know what "use" of F2P players is? They provide economy and fodder so others can actually play in decently populated environment. Withotu them, most of the MMOs that transitioned into F2P/Hybrid models would be just really boring singleplayer games because you'd never run into anyone else. 

How many F2P are in WOW and EVE?

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Mickle

Why not use them as NPCs, Mobs or indentured servents to make the game better for paying customes?

It should not be that hard and it could make games even more fun than they are now.

Ok you be a nice squishy mage and I'll be Deathwing.... yeah... I just think you should go take a nap, you've been playing far too long and sleeping to little.

That said... in a true sandbox players will have to take the place of NPCs and seeing as how true sandboxes have FFA PVP with full loot pvpers will also be a type of "mob" but in that case it'll be more like "In mother russia, mob grind you!".

Oooooh... dude... plex system... I've been playing EVE for free using it for over 3 years now so there are F2Pers running around EVE in a way but they're basically the creme de le creme  of F2Pers (people who've worked their asses off getting to where they can play for free).

I don't recall either of those games going F2P or hybrid. WoW only has extended trial (which is not same as hybrid), and EVE has PLEX, which while can be seen as hybrid option is quite far from it and requires certain investment beforehand. 

Yeah bad example. Eve is the prime example of how a f2p game system should be set up. The plex system was one of the first ( I know of ) that let paying players trade their real money for free players ( or anyone elsees )  time.

Originally posted by DamonVile

Yeah bad example. Eve is the prime example of how a f2p game system should be set up. The plex system was one of the first ( I know of ) that let paying players trade their real money for free players ( or anyone elsees )  time.

I miss that Russian tycoon that tanked the 30 day GTC market :(... he made playing the game so damn cheap (100-200 mil isk when compared to the plex price post-him which is 450-550 mil at best).

I don't recall either of those games going F2P or hybrid. WoW only has extended trial (which is not same as hybrid), and EVE has PLEX, which while can be seen as hybrid option is quite far from it and requires certain investment beforehand. 

The point here is that those two games are not empty ONLY because they use F2P as he stated.  Correct?

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

for the right setting , this would be a great feature.

Think Star Wars , galactic civil war, with free players  being storm troopers or flying tie fighters or  being gunners on star destroyers..any setting where the story needs a good amount of mooks or minions to carry it , like an epic war story, you need nameless, faceless beings to be part of the tapestry.  It would have to be enjoyable , as no one enjoys being farmed

• EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91

i could've slapped your face right in the moment you posted this.

i really hate seeing some elitist pr*cks like you

Originally posted by Esuarfeeee

i could've slapped your face right in the moment you posted this.

i really hate seeing some elitist pr*cks like you

It would help if you learned to read before you posted.  Try the 1st and 4th post as a starter.

• aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84
    Thanks for the laugh OP. Not sure why people are getting so upset 

The point here is that those two games are not empty ONLY because they use F2P as he stated.  Correct?

They don't use F2P at all or in very limited way, depnding on how you look at it, they are completely irrelevant to any discussion regarding F2P model or F2P players.

When a game goes F2P it's usualy because it's paying sub numbers are too low to sustain the community and/or operating costs. After the conversiont here always is influx of new players that want at least to try the game since it costs them nothing. That provides population boosts that fills the zones and makes fidning groups easier for everyone, both free and paying players. 

WoW doesn't have this probvlem, because even if they'd loose 50% of their subs they still have the numbers to sustain decent population, but WoW has the benefit of being the game that really pushed the genre out to the masses, no other MMO has that and no MMO ever will, because it already happned. 

EVE on the other hand is a niche title, it doesn't compete with other games currently because all recent attempts at sandbox were just poorly executed and collapsed rather quickly. It's in no immidiate danger of suddenly loosing majority of it's playerbase unless CPP does something really stupid. 

Originally posted by Theodwulf

for the right setting , this would be a great feature.

Think Star Wars , galactic civil war, with free players  being storm troopers or flying tie fighters or  being gunners on star destroyers..any setting where the story needs a good amount of mooks or minions to carry it , like an epic war story, you need nameless, faceless beings to be part of the tapestry.  It would have to be enjoyable , as no one enjoys being farmed

Thank You

Not only for seeing past the bull but for also thinking of a way that you could enjoy it.

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I would have loved to play an npc *citizen!* If I got my own house, maybe I'll be the king and own the castle! Or maybe I be the evil wizard living in a big house holding servants ):<! I think it could be fun to try sometime xD!

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I do not think OP understands what NPC means...

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Everyone, and i repeat, everyone in the age of wushu becomes a npc when they log off. Its actually pretty cool even.

And yes paying customers will always be on top of freeloaders, in what society are they not lol. Why F2P players feel they should be on equal ground as someone that contributes to a game is beyond me.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

Indentured servants, huh. Could you explain how and why a "debt" incurred by being a f2p player could be paid off by this type of feature?

What cost benefits are associated with this?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Alot

Look at my throne,
    my throne is amazing,
    give it a kneel.

That's what I was imagining while reading the OP.

He's not the only one. "I pay, therefore I am... and you are not." is the underlying theme around here.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Committed freeloaders *should* be considered second class citizens in these games. They bring nothing to the hobby past showing up... they are just a bunch of mooching tourists riding on the back of the payers.

Anyone who brags anout playing 100% free in a MMORPG loses respect from me, speaking personally. Especially the ones who think that their opinion is as valid as a contributer and that they are entitled to be equal in all things.

If you enjoy something, support it. 

What's annoying is that you can write pretentious, insulting crap like that, but I'm going to get modded for replying to you.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Onomas

So you report someone because you dont agree with their statement or opinion even though he violated no rules? Pretty shaddy there mate.

Freeloader is the exactly proper term used for someone that doesnt pay, plays for free, and doesnt contribute anything. You helping a person out in game has no meaning when it comes to monetary value which the term was coined for.

"The term "Freeloader" in everyday speech refers to a "mooch" or a beggar.. The technical term for such a person is a free ride."

Check under report tabs, you'll find flaming/flame worthy (IE inflammatory) is under there. Stating one's opinion is all fine and dandy, stating it in such a way as to imply it is in any way reflecting a reality is another thing entirely.

Do I really have to educate you what money actually is? (hint: it's got something to do with time)

Originally posted by General_Dru-Zod
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    I find it offensive that you think support can only be given by dollars, it is a materialistic approach which throws wrenches into the works of more game communities than you can possibly imagine and you do it in a very broad brush approach. Some freeloaders are negative, some paying/premium players are also negative and when I say negative I mean toxic for the health of the community and the game's overall gameplay but if you for one moment think "freeloaders are just mooching off paying customers and add nothing to the hobby" should be allowed when your definition of freeloader is someone who doesn't put money down for a game then I am truly sorry but you're wrong and insulting not only me but millions of other players who for whatever reasons cannot afford to pay for a game but do enjoy it nonetheless and bring whatever else they can to it (positivity, helping paying members, helping edit wikis, helping noob players get a start in the game,etc). Now if you'd revise your definition of freeloader (say "an entitled player who feels they should get more than they're paying for") then I'd be more than ok with what you said but as long as you lump good people into a negative stereotype you're gonna get railed.

1. These arent common traits of a "Free player".

2. None of the blue helps the Devs keep the game running.

1. You'd be surprised how many actually do that stuff (otherwise how can you explain the wealth of wikis floating around some of which aren't even for MMOs ergo your argument further breaks down because then they player in question doesn't even have a reason to do it).

2. So having a friendly group of players help the community prosper ergo make players more likely to actually play and pay for the game does not help the developer in any way ?

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Committed freeloaders *should* be considered second class citizens in these games. They bring nothing to the hobby past showing up... they are just a bunch of mooching tourists riding on the back of the payers.

Anyone who brags anout playing 100% free in a MMORPG loses respect from me, speaking personally. Especially the ones who think that their opinion is as valid as a contributer and that they are entitled to be equal in all things.

If you enjoy something, support it. 

What's annoying is that you can write pretentious, insulting crap like that, but I'm going to get modded for replying to you.

Id' rather someone show me they're ignornat, than make me guess. His post did a great job of doing that imo.

How many ppl play eve for free ? how many would quit the game if the plex system was removed ? Free players and pay players exchange time for money all the time. Games make more money when players are allowed to make this type of exchange. Both contribute to keeping the game going. These people who buy self-esteem for $15 a month....are worth far less than anyone I know....or would want to.

So I supprt thier right to make fools of themselves here.

This discussion has been closed.