Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Head set recommendations

AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

At the moment my G35 from logitech is starting to show its age. Tearing leather on the ear muffs and issues with Guild Wars 2 sounds.

So now I'm in the market for a new head set.

I have a list to choose from http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=116_998 and I'm wondering if any one has any experience with any of them?

Which would be the best for gaming and use for Skype calls?

I loved my G35 for a while despite its recent issues. Things such as:
-Quality digital sound.
-Easy to reach mic mute button on the headset itself.
-Red mic light on the tip of the mic to easily know when mic is muted.
-Comfortable ear muffs that cover the entire ear.
-Easily adjustable volume control on the head set itself.
-The cord was simple and durable with a decent length. No annoying control blocks hanging off it.

I know I'm probably not going to be able to get all of these features on my next head set. But hopefully close to it!

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I've been using this for about 2 years.  Pretty comfortable, but does not come with volume controls.  It also does not have a Mic.  I am not a fan of mics on headsets, use a desktop mic.

Audio-Technica AD700

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Not having a mic is pretty much a deal breaker for me. Much prefer it on the head set rather than a desktop one.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

It doesn't have a lot of the features you want but this is the best headset I've ever owned..

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-350-Collapsible-Microphone/dp/B0012XFDWO

And this similar one has a volume control on the headset itself instead of on the cable..

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-360-Headset-Gaming/dp/B003DA4D2U/ref=pd_sim_e_4

A little pricey but the audio and mic quality is amazing..  Also very comfortable.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

I use the Turtle Beach EarForce HPA2

http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/headsets-legacy/ear-force-hpa2/237

These are the newer version.  While I'm not crazy about the Call of Duty tags on them, the headset themselves are nice.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/call-of-duty-headsets/ear-force-charlie/62

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

I suggest the Turtle Beach PX5. Eevn though they are not on your list they are well worth the 250 dollars.  I bought them last year and I have nothing but great thigns to say about them! I use them for literally everything! Use them for my PS3, XBOX 360, and PC gaming. They are wireless but also have a optional wire you can connect to them and use via USB.

The headset has absolutely the BEST sound quality I have ever heard out of a head set. PX5 is also very sexy lol, black and red! Super comfortable!

Some key features:

a total of 18 diff programable channels to customize the sound based on what you are doing.

Very comfortable and stylish

Bluetoth connection or wired

Battery life is AMAZINGLY LONG

Mute button on head set

Game volume/mic volume/ music volume controls on the head set

BT button on headset

Buton for your diff channels on the headset

Removable mic

Amazing sound quality with Dolby Digital Surround sound!!!

I have nothing but GREAT THINGS to say about this heaset! I use them for everything! Even when im not gaming I wear them on the subway and have them connected via blue tooth to my phone so I can lsiten to pandora radio while on the go! 

If you have the money to spare I HIGHLY suggest these headphones! 

forgot to link the website! 

http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/ps3-headsets/ear-force-px5/51?gclid=CMe4m6rF37UCFQ-xnQodxlYAEg

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Love my Astro A50s. Hands down the best headset I have owned and no messy wires.

Zero issues what so ever with connectivity. 

http://www.amazon.com/New-ASTRO-Gaming-A50-Wireless-Headset/dp/B0091WIOJ2/ref=rec_dp_0

I have a Turtle Beach X12 that some one bought for me as a present.

Tried it out. Instantly did not like it. The constant static in the background drove me crazy and the mic seemed very flimsy.

I'm a little hesitant on trying out any thing that is turtle beach after that.

Then you are simply missing out my friend. I gurantee you will not find a better headset! I beleive the headset you ahd was one of their "low end" sets.

I hear you on the static I had an old wireless set of the turtle beach (the white ones) and when the battery was low i got static. But the Earforce PX5 I never hear static even when the woman in my headset tell me batteries are low.

Trust me, you will fall in love with these bad boys! 

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I have Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Alpha, and I truly love it. The sound is amazing, and I find the quality, second to none.

Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    It doesn't have a lot of the features you want but this is the best headset I've ever owned..

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-350-Collapsible-Microphone/dp/B0012XFDWO

And this similar one has a volume control on the headset itself instead of on the cable..

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-360-Headset-Gaming/dp/B003DA4D2U/ref=pd_sim_e_4

A little pricey but the audio and mic quality is amazing..  Also very comfortable.

Made my choice for the 360. Thanks for the suggestion!

• darkcircuitdarkcircuit Member Posts: 211
    You won't regret it, I always buy Sennheiser and I've yet to find a bad product by them.
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Made my choice for the 360. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you haven't already bought them Seinheiser have just refreshed both the 350 and 360 headsets with the 350SE and the 363SE.

Just got the 360 today.

Few things to point out about it.

Pros:
    Great quality microphone with noise cancellation.
    Very comfortable velvet headphone pads that look like they're made to last and won't have leather peeling issues.

Cons:
    No surround sound.
    Muting the mic is clunky with its mechanical system instead of an easy to press mic mute button.

Shoulda got the Turtle Beaches lol.
  • Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

Roccat Kave. best headset purchase ever, after trying out several of the ones named here. take back the 360's and get the Kave, you'll be blown away trust me.

the Kave is half the price oft he 360 and it's alot better. full 5.1 reall surround(really has 5 speakers in each cup, far superior to the "simulated: 7.1 USB crap). long, solid cord that doesn't fuck up if yanked. it's anchored to the desk by a control unit for the volume/mic/speaker levels.

Originally posted by AzurePrower

Just got the 360 today.

Few things to point out about it.

Pros:
    Great quality microphone with noise cancellation.
    Very comfortable velvet headphone pads that look like they're made to last and won't have leather peeling issues.

Cons:
    No surround sound.
    Muting the mic is clunky with its mechanical system instead of an easy to press mic mute button.

Are you running them through your motherboard's onboard sound or through a sound card? They will sound much better with a sound card. If you don't want to spend much then something like the Xonar DG/DGX (DG is the PCI slot version and DGX PCIe version, same cards other than that) for £20-30 would be ideal. The headphone socket on it has an amplifier, your case front panel socket is amped if you plug it into the card too, and the software has Dolby Headphone for surround.

Your old G35 headset was USB so it wouldn't have used a sound card even if you had one, USB sets have their own amp built in albeit not very good.

Originally posted by Kabaal
    Originally posted by AzurePrower Just got the 360 today. Few things to point out about it. Pros: Great quality microphone with noise cancellation. Very comfortable velvet headphone pads that look like they're made to last and won't have leather peeling issues. Cons: No surround sound. Muting the mic is clunky with its mechanical system instead of an easy to press mic mute button.
    Are you running them through your motherboard's onboard sound or through a sound card? They will sound much better with a sound card. If you don't want to spend much then something like the Xonar DG/DGX (DG is the PCI slot version and DGX PCIe version, same cards other than that) for £20-30 would be ideal. The headphone socket on it has an amplifier, your case front panel socket is amped if you plug it into the card too, and the software has Dolby Headphone for surround.

Your old G35 headset was USB so it wouldn't have used a sound card even if you had one, USB sets have their own amp built in albeit not very good.

Yeah found about having a sound card is better than using the on board out after purchasing it. At the moment just using the on board realtek. Had to bump up the bass a little on the equalizer so it wasn't typically hi-fi sounding.

Probably not looking to buying a sound card as there probably wouldn't be enough room for it and my graphics card. So it'll just have to do as it is.

How ever I do appreciate the velvet ear pads and light weight of the head set itself. Not having leather sweating on your ears is a plus.

Have you got a free small PCI (not PCIe) slot at the bottom of the motherboard? The Xonar DG goes in one of those and is quite small if space is an issue. Just had a look in my case and height wise it's a couple of centimetres (basically as high as the capacitors), length wise its just over half as long as my 7950. Site says 17cm x 6.4cm for the PCB.

Edit - i know it sounds like i'm pushing you to get a sound card but i truly feel you'll be missing out on the sound that the PC 360 headset is capable of without one, especially when it's only £20 or $30 if you're in the US and you've spent so much on the headset itself.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Nothing beats a Tritton Pro. Its almost indestructable, great sound and awesome microphone. Very comfortable to wear during long sessions.

http://www.trittonaudio.com/prod/pchead.asp

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"