Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What you think of my MMORPG?

2»

Comments

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Brooklyn, NYMember Posts: 1,178 Uncommon
    Originally posted by ArChWind
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    I thought it was good. Also agree to remove the negativity.  Part of turning a dream into reality is confidence and belief in what you are doing.  It doesnt matter if you did it on the fly or not. What matters is how much time you invest in making it the best MMO you can imagine. I have many things that make me negative about Whren but I won't cry on your shoulder or anyone elses shoulder. :) This world as it is here was bult in a big rush so yes, it is crap. It is  just thrown together in a matter of a couple hours at the keyboard. Stay tuned for part two and you will agree (at least I would hope) that the world improved dramaticlly in look and feel. What kills other MMOs is politics.  Trying to get something (money) back from the effort invested.  Ask yourself this.  What would you want to put in this world?  And I wouldnt depend on a 'community' to do it for you.  We'll just pull you in 800 different directions as we all have different wants.  Add things YOU think would be important and start there. I know all about those dollar signs.  Lot of saddness to say the least. I know exactly what I want in this world just not saying it at the moment. You'll need to develop a concept and write some lore.  That can easily take years depending how far you want to take it.  Understanding the farther you take it the more immersive the world can be.  I had a writer and a ton of history with lore. I am not a writer. Do you want to finish it? No one else will without paying them.  I say keep going.  Dont rush it.  Make it a labor of love. It is a labor of love.

Good luck.

Thanks

Msg me privately.  Lets talk about writing.

• ArChWindArChWind Some Place, WIMember Posts: 1,223 Uncommon

Disregard the PM. It seems I lost it all and I don't think anyone of the old team will have it. I only have a couple peeps that I know here becasue of their PM and who they are.

It is scattered and lost now. :(

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Brooklyn, NYMember Posts: 1,178 Uncommon

Disregard the PM. It seems I lost it all and I don't think anyone of the old team will have it. I only have a couple peeps that I know here becasue of their PM and who they are.

Want to start over?

Want to start over?

As long as it sticks to the original theme that was sent I have no problem with a restart. PM me email me or skype (set a time and I will be there)

Well anyway I am done for now.  :)

• CleffyCleffy San Diego, CAMember Posts: 5,190 Uncommon

I've used about half a dozen engines.  Big World is definetly the best for MMOs.  The fact it uses Python for its scripting base is a huge plus instead of some proprietary scripting language you have to learn.  You can pretty much use a script to flesh out most of the world.

The thing I found when working with a team is you have to cement down everything right at the start.  Most indies decide to forgo this and its a big time sink.  The time sink should be the pipeline, not the concept.  I find I can complete things about 10 times faster if I know what I am creating first.  The time it takes to concept something takes a fraction of time compared to actually making it so its a step that should always be taken.  With a title you are not paying people, its also a good idea to have guides and videos made on how to model something.  A lot of the developers you will get have limited experience or no formal training so they might do some things unideally that will reduce efficiency, like thinking poly count is the only thing that matters; or working at the wrong scale/wrong axis.  I found myself wasting alot of time going back and redoing something because someone changed their mind.  Or helping/redoing a model done by someone else because it was not a clean mesh.  Or doing any of the technical related art tasks like developing LODs for other modelers so they are clean, and creating collision meshes.

Also starting with a small idea/land mass is usually for the best.  However, Big World is difficult to adjust in size once you have your world in place, so making it big first then locking players from getting to distant lands is a work-around.  Hero Engine does a nice job of increasing size when its necessary, but it uses HeroScript and is more geared towards lobby based play.

To me if you can do 1 task related to game development well, you are at a professional level.  The only thing really seperating you is employment.  Its not like anyone makes a AAA mmo alone.

I think if you want to get any funding, your approach is the best.  Get your game to a playable state with limited content, then seek a publisher.  No publisher is going to take you seriously with just a couple trees, they want to see if the game will make them money.  At the very least the main game feature must be playable, and there is a small area that is at a polished stage.

On the walking animation, I hate the running around with a stick up their ass animation.  Its an easy fix for games that use the root joint as the transform.  Just make the another joint at 0,0,0 act as the root.

2»