Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What ruins Archeage...

Comments

• KailashKailash Member UncommonPosts: 301

Tab Targeting is old stuff. Soon most MMO’s will strictly utilize aiming mechanics because that’s simply where MMOs are going next gen. Also aiming DOES require more skill in MMO’s then tab targeting simply because tactics (using specific abilities according to the situation and strategy) and manual aiming are used at the same time. Comparing elders scrolls online style to halo is idiotic, the only thing they have in common is aiming.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by vzerov
    Originally posted by Kumapon

Originally posted by dave6660 Damn, the game hasn't even been released and it's already ruined.  
    Actually Archage the game has been released, for several months, just not in NA, and most people who have or had extrem  interest in it bought accounts from ebay or taubao or whatever site and have played it already.

I was in a small guild which had around 30 members and there was another guild which is our ally had like 50 members, we use the same team speak channel in game. Around 1/3 of us left in the first month, another 1/3 or more left in the second month, included me. Some servers were already at low population most of the time when I left.

Archage has the potential (just like alot of games), but there are some wierd system designs, like the pvp system, which makes activities related to the system boring and meanless. Maybe they will change those systems before the release at NA or at my country and make it a good game, no one knows.

Explain the orange more please. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Complaining about tab-targeting system for the 1000th time won't do anything but annoy many who frequent this forum expecting to hear some rumors or news - for example western release date.

The game is DONE. It HAS tab-targetting.

YOUR preferances in gaming you keep for yourself, please, I don't constantly write here what games I like or what is my TASTE in every little area of whatever.

Just go frequent the forums of games you think you like, or better yet go PLAY them. This one isn't released yet (not for most of us here at least), and many will change their opinion upon trying it first hand when it's available for beta or release.

If that's what he was talking about, yeah that's pretty silly.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by wizyy

Complaining about tab-targeting system for the 1000th time won't do anything but annoy many who frequent this forum expecting to hear some rumors or news - for example western release date.

YOUR preferances in gaming you keep for yourself, please, I don't constantly write here what games I like or what is my TASTE in every little area of whatever.

Just go frequent the forums of games you think you like, or better yet go PLAY them. This one isn't released yet (not for most of us here at least), and many will change their opinion upon trying it first hand when it's available for beta or release.

I just wish these people would go play their console FPS games and leave 90% of the MMO's alone.  I have no idea how the hell these people got into MMO's in the first place...did they not see the combat in most of them?

It's like me going to an FPS forum and crying about no tactics and too much mindless twitch.  The FPS people are even getting their own MMO's, so they really have no reason to bitch.

• vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by bcbully

Originally posted by dave6660 Damn, the game hasn't even been released and it's already ruined.  
    Actually Archage the game has been released, for several months, just not in NA, and most people who have or had extrem  interest in it bought accounts from ebay or taubao or whatever site and have played it already.

I was in a small guild which had around 30 members and there was another guild which is our ally had like 50 members, we use the same team speak channel in game. Around 1/3 of us left in the first month, another 1/3 or more left in the second month, included me. Some servers were already at low population most of the time when I left.

Archage has the potential (just like alot of games), but there are some wierd system designs, like the pvp system, which makes activities related to the system boring and meanless. Maybe they will change those systems before the release at NA or at my country and make it a good game, no one knows.

Its kinda complicated. I dont want to go into detail but ill say that killing players in another faction in most area( around 80% to 90% area) give you nothing at all, and get killed in pvp lose nothing either. There are around 1 to 3 "battle field" area at any given time (chosen dynamicly) which killing opposite faction players there gives you glory point, but its just like instanced battle field at wow, even worse, it like a instanced battle field which only thing you do is runing around killing players. Dont expect you can enjoy the pvp at open world while doing quest or leveling from 30 or so, more likely you will be repeatly join those battle field area when you hit 50. And somehow there were mobs you can kill for glory point, as a 50 player, farming those mobs can be a faster and safer way to earn glory point, you dont even need to pvp at all. Northen continent should be the ultmate "sandbox", but there was no sand since you cant siege and there is little reason for you to go there.

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by wizyy

I just wish these people would go play their console FPS games and leave 90% of the MMO's alone.  I have no idea how the hell these people got into MMO's in the first place...did they not see the combat in most of them?

It's like me going to an FPS forum and crying about no tactics and too much mindless twitch.  The FPS people are even getting their own MMO's, so they really have no reason to bitch.

As rough as it may sound, I cannot but agree with this guy.

I have the sensation that one of the main reasons for the linearization and simplification to the extreme of the mmorpgs released in the last 8 years it's trying to cater to the "Call-of-Duty & Console" immediate gratification mindset; or in other terms: trying to cater to the ultra-casuals - alien to the concept and essence of rpg -  that jumped the mmorpg ship after WoW-BC.

Nowadays, the use of the RPG acronym in MMOs in purely anecdotal, it has lost all its meaning and value.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Lol. The players ruin AA

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Actually Archage the game has been released, for several months, just not in NA, and most people who have or had extrem  interest in it bought accounts from ebay or taubao or whatever site and have played it already.   I was in a small guild which had around 30 members and there was another guild which is our ally had like 50 members, we use the same team speak channel in game. Around 1/3 of us left in the first month, another 1/3 or more left in the second month, included me. Some servers were already at low population most of the time when I left. Archage has the potential (just like alot of games), but there are some wierd system designs, like the pvp system, which makes activities related to the system boring and meanless. Maybe they will change those systems before the release at NA or at my country and make it a good game, no one knows.

The reason your seeing allot of mixed reviews on ArcheAge is because the game launched in a beta unfinished state. Tons of missing or broken features atm. Pretty much the same way as Tera did when it first launched with only a lvl 50 cap.

Imagine if Eve Online launched with no Null Sec yet all the pvp systems in placed where geared towards that content. Well this is the problem we have with ArcheAge. All the PVP systems in AA are made for the 3rd continent, but the 3rd continent features are not available atm. So unless you want to become a Pirate, PVP'ing is rather boring and meaningless at this moment.

Now if Xl games quickly adds and fixes the game in a timely matter like Ncsoft did with Blade and Soul, then the sky's the limit. But if they dither and procrastinate like BHS did with Tera, then the game will bomb just has hard as Tera did. We will have to wait and see what happens.

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165

Actually Archage the game has been released, for several months, just not in NA, and most people who have or had extrem  interest in it bought accounts from ebay or taubao or whatever site and have played it already.   I was in a small guild which had around 30 members and there was another guild which is our ally had like 50 members, we use the same team speak channel in game. Around 1/3 of us left in the first month, another 1/3 or more left in the second month, included me. Some servers were already at low population most of the time when I left. Archage has the potential (just like alot of games), but there are some wierd system designs, like the pvp system, which makes activities related to the system boring and meanless. Maybe they will change those systems before the release at NA or at my country and make it a good game, no one knows.

The reason your seeing allot of mixed reviews on ArcheAge is because the game launched in a beta unfinished state. Tons of missing or broken features atm. Pretty much the same way as Tera did when it first launched with only a lvl 50 cap.

Imagine if Eve Online launched with no Null Sec yet all the pvp systems in placed where geared towards that content. Well this is the problem we have with ArcheAge. All the PVP systems in AA are made for the 3rd continent, but the 3rd continent features are not available atm. So unless you want to become a Pirate, PVP'ing is rather boring and meaningless at this moment.

Now if Xl games quickly adds and fixes the game in a timely matter like Ncsoft did with Blade and Soul, then the sky's the limit. But if they dither and procrastinate like BHS did with Tera, then the game will bomb just has hard as Tera did. We will have to wait and see what happens.

Exactly that and look what happened to Tera. I really hope xlgames will get their shit together soon or at least before the western release. 

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    OMG the combat is a huge downer. This title looked so promising and then they go with that oldschool type combat.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Monstre0auSMonstre0auS Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Karteli

Tab targeting can be very skillful, in the right scenario.

Playing a warlock in various WoW Cataclysm raids for instance was skill intensive.  Targets needed to be toggled back and forth while evading a grisly death.  Very few warlocks raided as a result, compared to other classes.  To add to the mix, short-term buffs on player targets had to be coordinated.  You had to visualize where everyone was and monitor their movements, and not forget.

The overall fight was very chaotic, and highly skill oriented.  Of course none of those extras I spoke of needed to be done, but performance would suffer on the damage meters, which was pretty crucial if (as a lock) you were trying to keep your raid spot in a top guild.

Tab targeting is as difficult as you allow it to be.  FPS are more of a joke in comparison, since you just stand there and spam < swing > < swing > < swing > turn < swing > < swing > endlessly .. or put < shoot > in the mix

Blizzard kind of screwed things up by making some classes more difficult to play (while others were simple).  How people gravitated to EZ-mode classes that didn't require much effort might indicate that some players actually like easy tab targetting classes.  I like the hard ones however, and find it enjoyable when tab-targeting gets hectic.

People gravitated towards the easy classes though and then complained that tab targeting was too simple.  Mmm'kay.

^^ This. $0.02.

Red: I played an Afflic and Destro lock in WoW, all the way up til the launch of Cata where I rerolled a Oomkin drood and found the game had become too ezmode. Afflic locks had to be -really- good at tab targetting, since almost all your dps came from dots, which had to be maintained or coupled with other skills or abilities. But for WoW, tab targetting made sense, in a lot of ways.

Yellow: Action combat however is also as difficult as you allow it to be. I'm highly looking forward to Neverwinter Online, and as this uses action combat with 'fps' targetting, I can tell you that in some fights (Vansi in Cloak Tower for example), as a Guardian (tank) you have to be highly organised and keep an eye on -everything- that is occuring.

I personally don't think one style is any better then the other. I just think that the games they get applied to appeal for different reasons.

• Ravager80Ravager80 Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Traditional Tab Targetting is the biggest thing followed by a reliance on systems that only a small percentage of people will utilyze.  A personal prference would be the character animations and character models.  Not a fan of the art style nor of the overly cartony/anime'ish art or animations.

What is the problem with tab targetting?  I see this come up once in a while, but I don't understand the complaint. 

Tab targeting is lame in PvP people would like it to be more of a challenge similar to FPS's where you have to put aim on your enemy. Constant lock is TOO WEAK!

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Generally speaking, many gamers apply the words "skilled play" to the form of gameplay that they are good at, and consider everything else "easy-mode."

It's called "selective perception."

Skilled play comes from what we define as skills. Intelligent play comes from, well i think this should be obvious. Shooting 99% free throws is a skill.  Clicking tab then pressing buttons that basically always hits or misses depending on random dice roll, there is no skill here.

I would say a majority of MMORPG's are still twitch games due to people being able to die in 5 seconds or less. Now lets not get butt hurt over this.  Some people prefer to aim, which is a skill and some people prefer choice which is intelligence. I would just like the people that supposedly prefer intelligent play to actually understand that there is a difference. A game like WoW requires very little skill but it does require some knowledge. A game like Smite requires some skill to play.

The "selective perception" problem arises from people that love to play games that require very little skill feeling insecure. In all honesty id rather be intelligent than skilled so I dont see why this is a problem.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Ravager80
    Traditional Tab Targetting is the biggest thing followed by a reliance on systems that only a small percentage of people will utilyze.  A personal prference would be the character animations and character models.  Not a fan of the art style nor of the overly cartony/anime'ish art or animations.

What is the problem with tab targetting?  I see this come up once in a while, but I don't understand the complaint. 

Tab targeting is lame in PvP people would like it to be more of a challenge similar to FPS's where you have to put aim on your enemy. Constant lock is TOO WEAK!

tab targeting is simply a boring auto-aim assist, you can turn it on even in games like GTA. it's for people who don't have reflexes or don't know how to move a mouse crosshair over a target.

tab targeting lock is the lamest invention in the history of videogames.

At least Age of Conan made it fun by introducing combos and sword swinging in 5 directions, it still has an action type combat feel.

Archeage should have either a Tera or AoC type combat system

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

Why aren't you guys FPS monkeys playing Planetside right now? or Darkfall? or MO?  IF EVERYONE LOVES FPS "skill" combat then all of those games should be beating every game in existence.

I blame it on your monkey like short attention spans.  FPS Melee combat rarely works right anyway it sometimes shines in Chivalry however most of the people who play it turn it into the most skilless game ever. How could that be possible you say?!

Because instead of of trying to make a precise hit to kill someone when surrounded by teamates by stabbing or an overhead swing %90 of the people just slash left to right repeatedly  not carrying about team damage because they need to maximize damage.

now scale that happening to hundreds of people fighting each other and you got a huge mess, which is one of the reason there is not many 60 player servers in chivalry. The more people the less skill is involved.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by g0m0rrah
     A game like WoW requires very little skill but it does require some knowledge.

To say WoW requires 'very little skill' is absurd and leads me to think you just arent very skilled.

Its more than just knowledge.  You need a very high ability to be able to quickly assess the current situation, the lightning fast decision making to make the right decision, and the dexterity to pull it off.  Now the dexterity might be the most forgiving aspect of thie equation for WoW but its still needed.

Less so in PvE, but Im assuming since this is an ArcheAge thread we are talking PvP.

I guess what I am trying to say is there is Knowledge, there is "skill" as you are defining it (physical dexterity), but the #1 difference maker is neither, its mental dexterity.  Anyone can learn a priority system.  Anyone can learn to aim.  Its pulling these things off under constantly changing situations that is by far the most challenging thing.  And I dont think either type of combat has a leg up in that department.

Its kinda complicated. I dont want to go into detail but ill say that killing players in another faction in most area( around 80% to 90% area) give you nothing at all, and get killed in pvp lose nothing either. There are around 1 to 3 "battle field" area at any given time (chosen dynamicly) which killing opposite faction players there gives you glory point, but its just like instanced battle field at wow, even worse, it like a instanced battle field which only thing you do is runing around killing players. Dont expect you can enjoy the pvp at open world while doing quest or leveling from 30 or so, more likely you will be repeatly join those battle field area when you hit 50. And somehow there were mobs you can kill for glory point, as a 50 player, farming those mobs can be a faster and safer way to earn glory point, you dont even need to pvp at all. Northen continent should be the ultmate "sandbox", but there was no sand since you cant siege and there is little reason for you to go there.

Thank you.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Was affraid that this game would turn out to be a disapointment like many other mmo's.
    Altough GW2 would take the tittle of best themepark mmo of the moment, it still missed alot of stuff that would have made that game WAY better then it is now.

I had extremely high hopes for Archeage to be the sandbox mmo to play, but the more you read the more cracks apear.

Iam glad i resubbed to Eve Online and currently having a massive blast there, it seems Eve is the ONLY mmo that went uphill in the past decade while all others mmo's just launch and die.

From all the mmo's listed as comming soon or just released none is worth spending money on.
    Yes its my 2 cents i know, but i love mmo's, but the qaulity needs to be high, not the one's that are on the shelves eating dust as they dont live up to the modern day standards.

Man do i wish back the early days of Everquest and Vanila WoW.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire

I dont see a problem either. people who want FPS dynamics can play the failed games that have it TERA and TSW etc

Or go back playing the failed tab-targeting games before that, like...friggin all of them.

Originally posted by Mothanos

Was affraid that this game would turn out to be a disapointment like many other mmo's.
    Altough GW2 would take the tittle of best themepark mmo of the moment, it still missed alot of stuff that would have made that game WAY better then it is now.

I had extremely high hopes for Archeage to be the sandbox mmo to play, but the more you read the more cracks apear.

Iam glad i resubbed to Eve Online and currently having a massive blast there, it seems Eve is the ONLY mmo that went uphill in the past decade while all others mmo's just launch and die.

From all the mmo's listed as comming soon or just released none is worth spending money on.
    Yes its my 2 cents i know, but i love mmo's, but the qaulity needs to be high, not the one's that are on the shelves eating dust as they dont live up to the modern day standards.

I'd go with vanilla SWG or UO but i am with you, bro!

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire

I dont see a problem either. people who want FPS dynamics can play the failed games that have it TERA and TSW etc

Sorry TSW has no fps dynamic combat.

When do people try out games and finnaly stop copying others....

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by steelwind

Players have been begging for a game that breaks the trend of Wow clones for quite a while now. Many games have released trying to be different but they haven't gone far enough thus they all suffer from short term commitment from their players.

Now finally a game is about to release with far more that is different from the recent clones than is the same and all the playerbaser wants to talk about is what they do not like about it?! How about some threads talking about the good, and the things that are exciting and different about this title?

So here we are at the cusp of our first AAA Sandbox/Themepark hybrid, lets have some balanced discussions about it. Let others share their excitement and concerns. IMHO this is the first game to release that deserves hype as it is actually taking risks and attempting to step outside the Wow mold we have been forced to live in for so many years. Given how much is right about Archeage, it is very disheartening to hear uninformed negative players only wanting to focus on what nitpicky feature it may be lacking or try and change the games core mechanics to meet their unreasonable needs.

Everyone has different needs out of their MMO and some things are far more important to some than others. If kill, kill, kill is your thing and the only thing you care about is combat and could care less about activities outside that, then THIS IS NOT THE GAME FOR YOU and probably never will be. For the rest of us, Archeage may symbolize what we have been waiting for a very long time and the game deserves to be recognized for what it is ACTUALLY trying to be. The more threads that are created only focusing on the negative, without the balance of the positive is doing a great disjustice to those looking for something different and are just trying to get a feel as to what they game is all about.

Sorry had to be said....

/rant off

First of all AA is not the first modern AAA themepark/sandbox hybrid. For example, Age of Wushu is soon to be released in NA and it sports just as many, if not more, innovative and unique features than AA, and it sure as hell "steps outside the WoW mold" in more ways than I care to list here.

Secondly, I'm very sceptical of this messianistic approach, where people aren't allowed to criticize a game just because some fans have been waiting for it a long time or somehow thinks that its symbolic value as The Sandbox Game puts it above criticism.

If you're after a balanced discussion you should accept that there are things about AA that some people don't like. To me the concerns raised in this thread, combined with other information I've read earlier, strenghtens my fears that AA will not be the game I was so hyped about a couple of years ago when I first heard of it. Some things keep reappearing, like:

* Quest-heavy, linear progression leading up to an "endgame"

* Lack of meaningful PvP

* Lack of a dynamic economy (no item decay being the main culprit here)

* Generic combat (a matter of taste ofc but a 2013 game can hardly be considered ultra-innovative if it has 2003 style combat)

* Several incomplete core features

All this leads me to think AA may not be that innovative or mold-breaking after all. It's probably a great game in its own right but the hype was (as always) toally unrealistic and trying to silence valid criticism won't help that fact.

Of course, pointless and uninformed bashing should be avoided, but afaik a lot of the mixed reviews comes from people who have actually played the game and understood its systems and features, not from rabid internet haters who just spout troll nonsense. Threads like this should not be written off as simple negativity; after all, we are not obliged to hype a game just because it has built an image of "stepping outside the WoW mold".

Originally posted by Mothanos

I now find myself comparing up coming games to AoW.  I've never felt like I owed a game company money before. I do now. If you do decide to give it a try, pm me. 

As for AA. I'm hoping to get into beta to see if I can handle questing for levels again. At the moment I just don't think I can.

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by steelwind

Players have been begging for a game that breaks the trend of Wow clones for quite a while now. Many games have released trying to be different but they haven't gone far enough thus they all suffer from short term commitment from their players.

Now finally a game is about to release with far more that is different from the recent clones than is the same and all the playerbaser wants to talk about is what they do not like about it?! How about some threads talking about the good, and the things that are exciting and different about this title?

So here we are at the cusp of our first AAA Sandbox/Themepark hybrid, lets have some balanced discussions about it. Let others share their excitement and concerns. IMHO this is the first game to release that deserves hype as it is actually taking risks and attempting to step outside the Wow mold we have been forced to live in for so many years. Given how much is right about Archeage, it is very disheartening to hear uninformed negative players only wanting to focus on what nitpicky feature it may be lacking or try and change the games core mechanics to meet their unreasonable needs.

Everyone has different needs out of their MMO and some things are far more important to some than others. If kill, kill, kill is your thing and the only thing you care about is combat and could care less about activities outside that, then THIS IS NOT THE GAME FOR YOU and probably never will be. For the rest of us, Archeage may symbolize what we have been waiting for a very long time and the game deserves to be recognized for what it is ACTUALLY trying to be. The more threads that are created only focusing on the negative, without the balance of the positive is doing a great disjustice to those looking for something different and are just trying to get a feel as to what they game is all about.

Sorry had to be said....

/rant off

A couple of points I'd like make in response to the above:

Not being a WoW clone does not automatically make something good. Being totally different to WoW does not automatically make a game good. However being a WoW clone does automatically make a game bad (in many people's opinion). That's just the way it is.

Of course people are going to complain. It's taken as a given in the customer services world that people are 10 times more likely to complain than to praise (for every 1 praise email you get you get 10 compaints).

Why is that? Simple: If you get what you expect from my service then you are getting what you expect. I am simply providing my service at your expected level. No need ot comment. If you do not get what you expect, you complain (not you specifically, the general 'you'). You have to be 10 times better than expected to get praise from a client but only need to fall short of expectations by a minute amount before they start complaining.

If a planned game has everything I want then great, it has everything I want: There's no need for me to comment. If it's missing features X, Y and Z then I'm going complain and whine and bang on about it until either they're added or I get bored and move on.

Unfortunately it's just human nature.

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220
    I don't think many can say what ruins the game... no one has even tried it yet.  Still, NA fans are brickering over this or that, give it a break until you try the game.  smh