Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People should stop and think..

13»

Comments

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by seigard

Everyone behind the creation of recent mmos should just think about the consequences of creating a half polished game.

They do nothing but raise the bar and our expectations will never be pleased by the dissapointment coming after hype.

For example gw2, they did a great job but pvp is meaningless and not fun so people will try to look for a game that will fulfill their needs of pvp and even if they find one they probably will have hard time adapting to the game as their expectations have been lifted by everything else gw2 did good. Every mmo company releases their games in a state where it doesnt fulfill what you could want from a ''complete'' mmo. This is the success of wow, they were there before the expectations were this high and most importantly they had a game which appeald to most of people just like a ''complete'' game would...

MMO genre doesnt need a wow killer, it needs a game that can focus on many things, no bullshit like camelot unchained that will only focus on rvr, guess what? people will be bored of rvr even if it is the best of genre and look for alternatives, then they'll go for a pve game which wont satisfy them pvpwise and the whole mmo indusrty will keep on making their money by raising hypes, getting the money on start and then going f2p with cash shop when people see that it isnt what they were hoping for.

Obviously aimed at Camelot Unchained :)  And a fair discussion. 

The irony in creating a game such as Mr Jacobs is preparing, is that the bar has fallen so LOW since 2004 (you know, THAT game...) that the concept of having different enemies to fight, seeing actual cultures and not some plastic carbon copy cut and paste race sample fighting over a flag or carrying a tooth, a huttball, or what have you....places his product above and beyond the rest - if we are discussing an mmorpg that contains: depth, variation in presentation, meaningful PvP (amazing how nearly every title thinks pvp = ESPORT)...and so forth.

So again, a fair discussion, and one that needs not to be implied to such a product as Camelot Unchained, for already she rears her head above the mediocrity of what lays far beneath her, despoiled, lackluster, and easily forgotten.

Secondly, the good news is that for those who are rolling their eyes at a proverbial DAoC 2 - feel free to peruse content more to your liking.  There are a number of fun games out there that include all sorts of effects.  You don't have to worry about the complexity of different races and cultures that actually drive the lore deeply into the players mind when they first feel the rush of embarking on massive scale PvP where ala, Spike T.V.'s Deadliest Warrior, or Rome Total War, you will gain a sense of US vs Them vs Them - seeing an enemy that is different than you, and celebrating those differences by befouling their gods and crushing their banners underfoot. 

/salute

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by seigardThey are my opinions as they come out of my mouth, I never said I researched all of these and I still dont think you need to research something to understand

In that case, the thread should have been titled:

People should stop to think..

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Originally posted by laokoko

Maybe the OP should send a resume as a game designer. 

Let me put it this way, there is something called budget and techical issue.

Have youe ever wonder why warhammer only have 2 faction?  Ya it's called budget.

Camelot Unchain don't have that much budget to do everything.

You said mmorpg dont' need a wow killer and turned around say we need mmorpg to focus on many things.  Ya but that's what make wow great isn't it? it did focus on many thing.  And that's what mmorpg company is trying to match.

And going back to GW2.  In GW2, all the "condition build" is useless.  And the reason why?  Because bleed can't go over 25 stack.  And you know why bleed can't go over 25 stack?  ya budget.  As stupid as it sounds, half of the character build in GW2 is useless because of budget.

If you meant to tell me the game studio "is purposely" releasing bad product, let me rest assure you their not.  They tried.  They just didn't do good enough.

I never said they are intentionally creating shitty games, why the hell would they, they just start at something without the budget which you just mentioned, and suddenly you see fuck tons of games around that cand even make ONE good game if you combine their successful parts.

You dont need to be a game designer to talk about games

I still dont think there is a need for a wow killer, there could be a game better than wow but as long as the intentions are killing wow then they will be trying to beat wow not fulfill what players want

Also 25 stack because of budget? come on they release a game that is pretty successful but they cant make new skills or raise the stack ? That has nothing to do with that

And where you think the money come from?  Glow on trees?  Camelot Unchain is trying to make a mmorpg with a starting budget of like 5 million.

And if you don't think there is a need for wow killer, tell developer to stop spending hundred of million developing 1 game (cough cough swtor), that's the problem right?  those company spend way too much money, and they are delusional they can recover that much money.  The market isn't that big.  Only way to have that much subscriber is if your game also release in China, which is not always an easy thing to do.

You said there is no need for wow killer.  and camellot unchain is doing exactly that.  They focus on 1 specific audience.  And you stop complaiing.  That's kind of oxymoron. 

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by BlitzVF
    The invisible hand of the market will fix this, if it is indeed a problem.

And has been doing so. The non-success of TSW has all but brought FC down. TOR's failure was a large and expensive lesson to the whole industry to stop copying WoW, and to EA in particular. Cryptic was sold to another company, to avoid closure, because their "efforts" failed to keep Atari afloat behind several shallow MMOs that did not make the money. SOE has gone from industry leader (they were the big dog pre-WoW), to an irrelevant joke in the industry, behind several bad decisions, and multiple lackluster (and thus typical SOE) titles. So the market does work, just not always quickly.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    And has been doing so. The non-success of TSW has all but brought FC down. TOR's failure was a large and expensive lesson to the whole industry to stop copying WoW, and to EA in particular. Cryptic was sold to another company, to avoid closure, because their "efforts" failed to keep Atari afloat behind several shallow MMOs that did not make the money. SOE has gone from industry leader (they were the big dog pre-WoW), to an irrelevant joke in the industry, behind several bad decisions, and multiple lackluster and thus typical SOE) titles. So the market does work, just not always quickly.

Self-evident. The console crash of '83, gamers have been through this sort of nonsense many, many times before. And will again, the market corrects as necessary.

Some threads remind me of Macbeth: "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." This litany of impotent rage that we hear, every weekend without fail—why do you think gamers find it so fascinating?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• seigardseigard Member UncommonPosts: 286
    Originally posted by Gdemami

They are my opinions as they come out of my mouth, I never said I researched all of these and I still dont think you need to research something to understand

In that case, the thread should have been titled:

People should stop to think..

I dont see a point, just like I dont see one with any of your other posts

You are none constructive in this discussion, pretty much a troll

If you disagree, I respect that more than anything but if you bash for no reason you are not welcome on my topic

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by Comaf

Everyone behind the creation of recent mmos should just think about the consequences of creating a half polished game.

They do nothing but raise the bar and our expectations will never be pleased by the dissapointment coming after hype.

For example gw2, they did a great job but pvp is meaningless and not fun so people will try to look for a game that will fulfill their needs of pvp and even if they find one they probably will have hard time adapting to the game as their expectations have been lifted by everything else gw2 did good. Every mmo company releases their games in a state where it doesnt fulfill what you could want from a ''complete'' mmo. This is the success of wow, they were there before the expectations were this high and most importantly they had a game which appeald to most of people just like a ''complete'' game would...

MMO genre doesnt need a wow killer, it needs a game that can focus on many things, no bullshit like camelot unchained that will only focus on rvr, guess what? people will be bored of rvr even if it is the best of genre and look for alternatives, then they'll go for a pve game which wont satisfy them pvpwise and the whole mmo indusrty will keep on making their money by raising hypes, getting the money on start and then going f2p with cash shop when people see that it isnt what they were hoping for.

Obviously aimed at Camelot Unchained :)  And a fair discussion. 

The irony in creating a game such as Mr Jacobs is preparing, is that the bar has fallen so LOW since 2004 (you know, THAT game...) that the concept of having different enemies to fight, seeing actual cultures and not some plastic carbon copy cut and paste race sample fighting over a flag or carrying a tooth, a huttball, or what have you....places his product above and beyond the rest - if we are discussing an mmorpg that contains: depth, variation in presentation, meaningful PvP (amazing how nearly every title thinks pvp = ESPORT)...and so forth.

So again, a fair discussion, and one that needs not to be implied to such a product as Camelot Unchained, for already she rears her head above the mediocrity of what lays far beneath her, despoiled, lackluster, and easily forgotten.

Secondly, the good news is that for those who are rolling their eyes at a proverbial DAoC 2 - feel free to peruse content more to your liking.  There are a number of fun games out there that include all sorts of effects.  You don't have to worry about the complexity of different races and cultures that actually drive the lore deeply into the players mind when they first feel the rush of embarking on massive scale PvP where ala, Spike T.V.'s Deadliest Warrior, or Rome Total War, you will gain a sense of US vs Them vs Them - seeing an enemy that is different than you, and celebrating those differences by befouling their gods and crushing their banners underfoot. 

/salute

Now, I disagree I don't see any appeal to CU considering there is no PVE at all and I'm sure plenty of others are with me on this...

Trying to say that it rises above these other games is just ridiculous.

I think he's gonna be sorry that he has no PVE aspects in this game. I think its gonna come back to bite him in the ass.

I know he constantly says hes not looking for huge sub numbers but I mean COME ON what company is not looking for huge numbers for there game?

People are in la la land if they think this game is gonna come anywhere close to millons subbing to it....

I'm not trying to bash it I'm glad for people that want nothing but RVR but I'm sick of people already acting like this is the next holy grail again (GW2 Anyone)...

This game is gonna be completely niche........