Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World (PVP)

My First Post

I wanted to say that  TSW has some of the best quest in any game. and the music is great..

However the PVP part is not so ... well its not very good..

Now for players who have been playing for a while and have the Best gear in the game.

Maybe they love the PVP , since they get to kill all the nubs, the GM's in TSW will force you to play with 2 threats.

1. i will send you to Agartha

2. I will put a note in your file that you refuse to fight.

Now i was told this by a  GM .

I thought this was some type of joke.

so i moved into the battle field and then i was told.

"You need to fight" so i did, was killed instantly by a RED MIST 5.5 K dps.

now i was back in the spawn area.

So i asked him, how do i know if you are really a GM. he reply with, "cause it says i am and its in red type."

i Didn't believe him, so i said send me to agartha.

well he did!!

So, i DELETED my Characters

Now since i still like the questing i started another character.

Hope i can get into a cabal that will not ask so many questions and be able to do the NM dungeon in about 3 months.

I hope the trolls go easy me.  I know my typing and english is not the best.

However i hope that if you play PVP in tsw that you understand that PVP mean " YOU BETTER FIGHT OR ELSE"

Comments

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    One of the problems early on was /afk'ers (usually the dominant faction) sitting in Fusang reaping the benefits of the tick rewards without doing any fighting.  The problem was lessened with the queue system and nerfing the rewards, but has not gone away completely.  GMs will confront you if you aren't in and fighting in the match.  All part of the larger balancing issue -- working on giving incentives to fight rather than /afk.  PvP still a work in progress, but improvements have been made and more incoming.
  • EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Krenus

My First Post

I wanted to say that  TSW has some of the best quest in any game. and the music is great..

However the PVP part is not so ... well its not very good..

Now for players who have been playing for a while and have the Best gear in the game.

Maybe they love the PVP , since they get to kill all the nubs, the GM's in TSW will force you to play with 2 threats.

1. i will send you to Agartha

2. I will put a note in your file that you refuse to fight.

Now i was told this by a  GM .

I thought this was some type of joke.

so i moved into the battle field and then i was told.

"You need to fight" so i did, was killed instantly by a RED MIST 5.5 K dps.

now i was back in the spawn area.

So i asked him, how do i know if you are really a GM. he reply with, "cause it says i am and its in red type."

i Didn't believe him, so i said send me to agartha.

well he did!!

So, i DELETED my Characters

Now since i still like the questing i started another character.

Hope i can get into a cabal that will not ask so many questions and be able to do the NM dungeon in about 3 months.

I hope the trolls go easy me.  I know my typing and english is not the best.

However i hope that if you play PVP in tsw that you understand that PVP mean " YOU BETTER FIGHT OR ELSE"

Sounds about right from funcom. They'll harass you in PvP but never answer a call when you have a broken quest/spawn,.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    isnt tsw 30$ buy to play (no sub)if so?this is probably the reason arenanet(gw2)has a special for digital copy of gw2 (30% less)so instead of 60 (or whatever their price was online)it is 42$ now.it is still hard to justify gw2 when gamer get a good value like tsw same no sub like gw2 and all for 30$!also tera is there on the f2p side!game industry is getting very competitive these day ,all fair game too from what the twitch community play!
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

I don't undrstand why you would sign up for SH if you don't want to fight.

Understand that the rest of your team suffer as a consequence. If that red mist didn't oneshot you, it would have been fired at someone else on your team. So you did something useful by taking that bullet.

It is of course painful to play as a newbie when "everyone else" is 10.4 purple, but it is possible to learn and find smart strategies. Try to be as much of a nuisece to the opponent as possible. Even taking a bullet (long cooldown) is helping out in a sense.

AFK'ing on the ress-pad isn't.

• J-icepdJ-icepd Member Posts: 23

I have play the game from the start.

the hardcore player advance fast. So after play solo in pve for a month, i need stronger gear. At this time there was no LFG normal help. The pvp was the solution. I remeber that in pvp i learn how to die. But you learn more as well. I learn how fun it is to play in group, and everyday it is different. 

After play the storyline thru i play most PvP. There still a few out there who kick my ass. And i love it. The day i become inmortal the fun will go away. I in it fore a good fight, 

If you are a newer player. Dont go fore a full venice gear. Mix with pve gear. Start whit a head talisman healt at 2000hp then focus on one weapon.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

Wait your telling me that Funcom's GM kick afk'ers? Seriously?

Despite everything they did wrong, for this Funcom deserves a nobel prize. Nothing annoys me more then people trying to get a free point at the expense of everyone else. 

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Shana77

Wait your telling me that Funcom's GM kick afk'ers? Seriously?

Despite everything they did wrong, for this Funcom deserves a nobel prize. Nothing annoys me more then people trying to get a free point at the expense of everyone else. 

Yeah I can appreciate this. Don't do PvP much, or seriously, in the games I've played, but remember far too many matches in Fort Aspenwood / Jade Quarry in Guild Wars that were decided by which team had the fewest bots and leechers join.

• cjtigncjtign Member UncommonPosts: 61

I've been playing TSW since Sept 2012 and I don't think this thread does the PvP system justice. I am Koreander the cabal leader of Primal Instinct currently ranked top Templar PvP cabal.

The PvP in this game is actually quite good. We PvP about 70% of the day, the other 30% we do the Raids, Lairs, and Nightmare Dungeons with cabal.

A lot of the initial problems that TSW had with PvP boiled down to a system which rewarded ./afk in their persistant PvP zone. That is now dead and fixed, they also instated underdog missions to keep the tables balanced, and they added in a lowbie buff so everyone is running at least ql 10.0 gear stats in PvP. Sure the 10.4 people have an advantage but I fail to see how that is any different than other games. Also it only takes 3-6 weeks to get to max gear pending how often you play.

They also fixed El Dorado the 10 v 10 v 10 PvP zone last patch so now there are loads of PvP options.

Heres the PvP content of this game straight up and honest:

1.) Fusang Persistant PvP zone: Open PvP zone with 4x objectives to capture and defend. Hosts about 75 v 75 v 75. Used to be just 1 faction holding all but with underdog missions on Battlegroup A (the main Battlegroup) all 3 factions are constnatly fighting usually its baout 30 v 30 v 30 at all times, weekends will get up to 45 for each side, templar mainly dominates BG-A but its rather balanced. On battlegroup C lumie mainly dominates it except during USA Eastern prime times when templar takes it. On Battlegroup B lumie dominates it.

2.) Stonehenge minigame - 5 v 5 v 5 king of the hill minigame

3.) El Dorado minigame - 10 v 10 v 10 capture the flag minigame

4.) Monthly Duel tournament

5.) Cabal Wars last one was 2 weeks ago, next one is in 5-6 days

6.) Fight Club - Open PvP area

Thats it, they have a PvP dungeon and open world PvP event coming soon.

-Koreander

Originally posted by cjtign

I've been playing TSW since Sept 2012 and I don't think this thread does the PvP system justice. I am Koreander the cabal leader of Primal Instinct currently ranked top Templar PvP cabal.

The PvP in this game is actually quite good. We PvP about 70% of the day, the other 30% we do the Raids, Lairs, and Nightmare Dungeons with cabal.

A lot of the initial problems that TSW had with PvP boiled down to a system which rewarded ./afk in their persistant PvP zone. That is now dead and fixed, they also instated underdog missions to keep the tables balanced, and they added in a lowbie buff so everyone is running at least ql 10.0 gear stats in PvP. Sure the 10.4 people have an advantage but I fail to see how that is any different than other games. Also it only takes 3-6 weeks to get to max gear pending how often you play.

They also fixed El Dorado the 10 v 10 v 10 PvP zone last patch so now there are loads of PvP options.

Heres the PvP content of this game straight up and honest:

1.) Fusang Persistant PvP zone: Open PvP zone with 4x objectives to capture and defend. Hosts about 75 v 75 v 75. Used to be just 1 faction holding all but with underdog missions on Battlegroup A (the main Battlegroup) all 3 factions are constnatly fighting usually its baout 30 v 30 v 30 at all times, weekends will get up to 45 for each side, templar mainly dominates BG-A but its rather balanced. On battlegroup C lumie mainly dominates it except during USA Eastern prime times when templar takes it. On Battlegroup B lumie dominates it.

2.) Stonehenge minigame - 5 v 5 v 5 king of the hill minigame

3.) El Dorado minigame - 10 v 10 v 10 capture the flag minigame

4.) Monthly Duel tournament

5.) Cabal Wars last one was 2 weeks ago, next one is in 5-6 days

6.) Fight Club - Open PvP area

Thats it, they have a PvP dungeon and open world PvP event coming soon.

-Koreander

Thanks K - lots of erroneous information tossed around about TSW PvP on these forums.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

Top ranking Templar PVP cabal, yeah I imagine you will be totally critical of the PVP system. 

OP - Funcom are not good with regards to PVP, they make good PVE games or single player games that have a little bit of grouping involved.  But PVP has never been their forte.  They never achieve any sort of proper balance. So basically those with a real interest can exploit the imbalances. If I was you just stick to PVE.

While the PvPers in TSW are among the most vocal folks on the forums, the fact that they are so vocal says alot about how much care there is about PvP in TSW despite is flaws.  Yeah, it's far from perfect, but to say that the devs aren't paying attention to improvements is far from true, and fun is to be had.  There have been updates to PvP with every patch, and Issue 6 is no exception:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Well I guess I can put it this way I only play PvP games. From DAoC -> Aika, Knight online/empire, WOW, Rift, EVE, 2moons, Aion, ....

Anyways if I thought PvP was terrible in this game I would have left and went to a different game. One of the best features of PvP in this game is the synergies in the builds and team synergies that this game offers.

The next best feature is the lack of a class system this game has one of the best balances of PvP I have ever seen. Sure gear still gives an advantage but thats nothing different than other games with levels. So while in other games if your class got nerfed gameplay kinda sucks you now are playing some crappy class that people cried about to nerf out of existance. in TSW if your skills or build get nerfed you can just change builds so you can be a mage one day then be a tank then be a healer all in the same fight.

Its really really fun system especially for PvP. I used to be a pure DPS but recently I've been healing a lot since its what is needed.

Yeah The PvPers have been asking for a lot of fixes and luckily a lot of them are coming in 1.6. PvP forums always have more posts than PvE, PVPers are just so whiny lol.

-Koreander

Also if your new to PvP and hate getting wtfpwned by people best to apply to a PvP focused cabal. 70% of all PvPers in my experience also do PvE. We do the NYC Raid 4x a week euro and usa time, we also do all nightmares, lairs. Most PvP Cabals do.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Ortwig

While the PvPers in TSW are among the most vocal folks on the forums, the fact that they are so vocal says alot about how much care there is about PvP in TSW despite is flaws.  Yeah, it's far from perfect, but to say that the devs aren't paying attention to improvements is far from true, and fun is to be had.  There have been updates to PvP with every patch, and Issue 6 is no exception:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

PVP'ers where amongst the most vocal in AOC - they pleaded with Funcom to make the game more PVP orientated.   All they were met with was a load of empty promises and a game that turned away from PVP and became predominantly PVE (which nobody wanted).    Large PVP guilds ended up quitting AOC and it still made no difference to the direction Funcom took the game.  Basically if PVP isn't right now I doubt it will ever get much better.

Well I guess I can put it this way I only play PvP games. From DAoC -> Aika, Knight online/empire, WOW, Rift, EVE, 2moons, Aion, ....

Anyways if I thought PvP was terrible in this game I would have left and went to a different game. One of the best features of PvP in this game is the synergies in the builds and team synergies that this game offers.

The next best feature is the lack of a class system this game has one of the best balances of PvP I have ever seen. Sure gear still gives an advantage but thats nothing different than other games with levels. So while in other games if your class got nerfed gameplay kinda sucks you now are playing some crappy class that people cried about to nerf out of existance. in TSW if your skills or build get nerfed you can just change builds so you can be a mage one day then be a tank then be a healer all in the same fight.

Its really really fun system especially for PvP. I used to be a pure DPS but recently I've been healing a lot since its what is needed.

Yeah The PvPers have been asking for a lot of fixes and luckily a lot of them are coming in 1.6. PvP forums always have more posts than PvE, PVPers are just so whiny lol.

-Koreander

Also if your new to PvP and hate getting wtfpwned by people best to apply to a PvP focused cabal. 70% of all PvPers in my experience also do PvE. We do the NYC Raid 4x a week euro and usa time, we also do all nightmares, lairs. Most PvP Cabals do.

I'm interested to see how the 1.6 PvP XP system is set up  -- I had heard something about brackets for pairing up the lowbies with each other so they can get some practice before tackling the vets.

Yeah now when you queue up to stonehenge for example if your average gear ql is 7 you will be paired with and against people of similar ql so that people on their 2nd day of playing won't be going against people with full 10.4/10.4 gear.

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

Regarding balance TSW actually fell into the same trap most MMOs with an open class/skill system end up in, they usually are even more succeptible to FOTM builds and blatantly overpowered stuff than your reglar class based system. In this case it's the Assault Rifle, which approximately 80% of the players use in PvP.  Having the longest range, some of the best burst, some of the best AoE and strong CC rolled into one weapon its popularity is hardly surprising of course, the healing it provides is just icing on the cake. Sure, everyone can use it, but that's not what balance means.

There is very little PvP content of debatable quality and FunCom continued some of the traditions they created in their previous MMOs, regarding time to kill for example. Basically it's one burst and you're dead, a matter of taste to put it mildly.

The game has its strengths, but if your focus is PvP, do yourself a favour and look elsewhere. 

No clue what that Koreander guy's agenda is...

Originally posted by Amegashie

Regarding balance TSW actually fell into the same trap most MMOs with an open class/skill system end up in, they usually are even more succeptible to FOTM builds and blatantly overpowered stuff than your reglar class based system. In this case it's the Assault Rifle, which approximately 80% of the players use in PvP.  Having the longest range, some of the best burst, some of the best AoE and strong CC rolled into one weapon its popularity is hardly surprising of course, the healing it provides is just icing on the cake. Sure, everyone can use it, but that's not what balance means.

There is very little PvP content of debatable quality and FunCom continued some of the traditions they created in their previous MMOs, regarding time to kill for example. Basically it's one burst and you're dead, a matter of taste to put it mildly.

The game has its strengths, but if your focus is PvP, do yourself a favour and look elsewhere. 

No clue what that Koreander guy's agenda is...

Really, I'd have to disagree with you. not sure how long you've been playing but most people do not use AR in game. Perhaps you are referring to june - august 2012. I agree that during that period most people used AR to PvP but a lot has changed after the recent balanced that happened 2 months ago.

The most common pvp Weapon is blade now perhaps 30-40% of people use this. After that Hammer, AR, Blood, Shotgun are probably the next most common. Most use chaos for the ranged impairs and armor fati as an off hand weapon.

All in all the game is very well balanced. They Devs just underwent a huge balancing effort in the 1.5 patch and its been a great experience ever since.

For example lets look at the premade my cabal ran yesterday in stonehenge:

1 healer: Shotgun/Fist

2nd healer: pistol/blood

1 rDPS: AR/blood

2nd rDPS: Ele/blood

1 melee dps: blade/chaos

This is a common team make up its all about team synergies now if you don't use all the classes your team / raid is going to lose to a better functioning team. You need deadly aim, short fuse, breaching shot, cleanup, flak jacket, .... and so on.

-Koreander

Cabal Leader of Primal Instinct PvP / Endgame Cabal (Templar)

http://primalinstinct.info

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by drbaltazar
    isnt tsw 30$ buy to play (no sub)if so?this is probably the reason arenanet(gw2)has a special for digital copy of gw2 (30% less)so instead of 60 (or whatever their price was online)it is 42$ now.it is still hard to justify gw2 when gamer get a good value like tsw same no sub like gw2 and all for 30$!also tera is there on the f2p side!game industry is getting very competitive these day ,all fair game too from what the twitch community play!

hard for who? GW2 sells about 32:1 tsw every week. more in some places. why does -every- topic with a complaint about TSW turn into some slight  @ GW2?

Originally posted by Rthuth434

GW2 sells about 32:1 tsw every week.

Where did you get that stat from?

TSWs subscriptions are up 400% since went B2P. They have over 300,000 active subscriptions + however many non-subscribers they have. Thats a lot of active players.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Rthuth434 GW2 sells about 32:1 tsw every week.

TSWs subscriptions are up 400% since went B2P. They have over 300,000 active subscriptions + however many non-subscribers they have. Thats a lot of active players.

No, they said player activity was up by 400%

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

GW2 sells about 32:1 tsw every week.

a one time bump from 55K active to 300K, and it fell again. thanks for playing though. they do not, and never had 300k subs. they sold just over 300k boxes.

sine there will never be a reason given to the reflexive bashing of gw2 when anyone makes any complaint about tsw, get back to the topic and do your best to ignore what i said. 

Yeah its the same as guild wars 2 with subscriptions/game boxes sold vs active players playing.

Anyways back on topic great game, think a lot of the PvP issues pre 1.4 were dealt with. The content has really grown a lot and with more content coming very shortly with 1.6-1.8 updates the amount of endgame is going to significantly increase.

Huge community playing this game which is really nice for PvP.

Really, I'd have to disagree with you. not sure how long you've been playing but most people do not use AR in game. Perhaps you are referring to june - august 2012. I agree that during that period most people used AR to PvP but a lot has changed after the recent balanced that happened 2 months ago.

The most common pvp Weapon is blade now perhaps 30-40% of people use this. After that Hammer, AR, Blood, Shotgun are probably the next most common. Most use chaos for the ranged impairs and armor fati as an off hand weapon.

All in all the game is very well balanced. They Devs just underwent a huge balancing effort in the 1.5 patch and its been a great experience ever since.

This is a common team make up its all about team synergies now if you don't use all the classes your team / raid is going to lose to a better functioning team. You need deadly aim, short fuse, breaching shot, cleanup, flak jacket, .... and so on.

-Koreander

I remember "glance tanks" being a popular build for awhile, but I believe lots of people found counters to them.   I don't think any one build is a guaranteed win, but you can do well if you mix it up and especially if your team is balanced.  The cool thing is you can discover a build no one has done before given the number of possible deck variations, and it may give you an edge, at least for awhile.  One of the best things about the system.

Originally posted by Ortwig

-Koreander

I remember "glance tanks" being a popular build for awhile, but I believe lots of people found counters to them.   I don't think any one build is a guaranteed win, but you can do well if you mix it up and especially if your team is balanced.  The cool thing is you can discover a build no one has done before given the number of possible deck variations, and it may give you an edge, at least for awhile.  One of the best things about the system.

Yeah no one really runs "Glance Tanks" anymore. Riposte dmg was cut in half and theres just better skills that give out more dmg than riposte now.