Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over 30, come out come out wherever you are ...

NalMannNalMann Member Posts: 2

Greetings, 

Like a number of people who played MMORPGs I lost interest and kept bouncing from one game to another, with prolonging pauses in between; ?age. My first experience was EQ, which was one of the best in early 2000; played EQ2 for a while then WoW and few years ago EVE online which basically was more of waiting-game "upgrading skills". 2010-2012, was plagued with a cycle of selling everything and giving up on gaming and buying, went through atleast 6 graphics cards in 3 years.

I need help choosing an MMORPG, that fits 'casual' gaming, more of PvE. Games I've played with subjective scoring are: EQ (10/10), EQ2(7/10), WoW(9/10), Age of Conan(8/10), Rift(7/10), EVE(5/10), SWTOR(6/10). Open to any suggestion, and it doesn't have to be free.

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    try Vanguard.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Guild Wars 2
  • TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Nothing... there is nothing that will keep your interest right now.. sorry.  I'm in the same boat.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Heretique
    Guild Wars 2

^ played all the games you mentioned i'm 31 right now:) and gw2 is only game that's keeping my attention for now

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I wish I could recommend something that was like EQ, but I can't really.  Vanguard lacks in so many areas (other than the world) I'm not sure I can recommend it.  I'm playing GW2 but it's taking a lot of effort on my part to enjoy it.  It does give back some of the freedom felt in EQ, in that there are no linear quest hubs...but its ultimately super streamlined with very little freedom in the game systems.  Good combat if you like the faster paced type.

Maybe TSW at least the open world isn't completely solo faceroll easy like most MMO's.

• DoctorhooDoctorhoo Member UncommonPosts: 235

With your Scores, you will most likely like Vanguard, eventhough its a bit older game.

Guild Wars 2 might catch your interest for awhile but the PVE endgame might not float your boat.  3 Server World Vs World is rather dynamic and fun if you like that kind of thing.  Still a quality game.

I do think you will like The Secret World.  Lots of Customazation in your Builds, Nice little Story for Questing (not as polished as SWTOR), and good dungeon challenges.  Be prepared to alt tab out or use their in game internet browzer to look up some harder investigation type quests.  This game can also lay claim to one of the most annoying quests ever, where you have to look up the LATIN letters for some puzzles if you don't go to an answer site.  At any rate, still a solid choice that might catch your interest made by the same people that did Age of Conan which you gave 8/10.  

I would keep Final Fantasy XIV and Elder Scrolls Online on your Watch list.  I think both of them would fit your interest level.

If you are looking for a hold over game, Allods Online should be fresh enough with enough WOW similarities for you yet different.  

• scullersculler Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Please don't waste your time with Guild Wars 2.  I've played all the games you have with the exception of Eve - and find Guild Wars 2 to be very shallow.  Vertical progression pretty much halts once you get to level 80.  I like for my character to always get stronger in some way - not just better eye candy.
  • scullersculler Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by NalMann

Greetings, 

Like a number of people who played MMORPGs I lost interest and kept bouncing from one game to another, with prolonging pauses in between; ?age. My first experience was EQ, which was one of the best in early 2000; played EQ2 for a while then WoW and few years ago EVE online which basically was more of waiting-game "upgrading skills". 2010-2012, was plagued with a cycle of selling everything and giving up on gaming and buying, went through atleast 6 graphics cards in 3 years.

I need help choosing an MMORPG, that fits 'casual' gaming, more of PvE. Games I've played with subjective scoring are: EQ (10/10), EQ2(7/10), WoW(9/10), Age of Conan(8/10), Rift(7/10), EVE(5/10), SWTOR(6/10). Open to any suggestion, and it doesn't have to be free.

Thanks in advance. 

When is the last time you played EQ 1?

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Talgen
    Nothing... there is nothing that will keep your interest right now.. sorry.  I'm in the same boat.

Going to have to go with this.

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

you wont find your home in any of the newer mmo´s, they are pretty decent, but not home-material. and i suscpect they even know it.

play the mmo your friends are enjoying fro a 1 or 2, and then re-evaluate, not sayiong ther eis nothing good, there is, just not good enough to make a home.

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    oh, and ignore th bad spelling above, in seriously unhgover :)
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    You can never go home again.
  • Luffy4lifeLuffy4life Member Posts: 74

Just started playing LOTRO and omg im so in love! The world is so breathtaking the music is so beautiful, the community is wonderful (brandywine server) and i found a very helpful guild!

Definitely try it and friend Sargana =)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270

Based on that list of classics, unfortunately nothing. The current design trend is more toward 'action' than RPG so Tera and GW2 feel more like console rpgs, as will Neverwinter and some others. Unless that's the type of change you're after.

Edit: But I'd agree with those suggesting Vanguard and LotRo based on your list.

Edit: And Rift with it's expansion pack. (Added housing)

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    i agree with Vanguard, maybe also try asheron call 2
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Exactly in the same boat. Try Vanguard as others have mentioned.

It is small now, had a very bad start, but it is getting some great attention from Devs and Sony right now, also it is growing slowly.

Bugs? Sure, alot.

Grafics? Still uptodate.

Funfactor? Huge. If you liked Everquest, you will like Vanguard.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Icewhite

I cried tears of regret over this...

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

It just makes you wonder; do we suspect to see anything suggested, apart from "my first favorite mmo"?

Op: Try a MUD!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• bosmer24bosmer24 Member UncommonPosts: 116
    I was in the same boat,but the game i've been playing for almost 6 months straight is  WURM online.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Icewhite wins the thread.  I'm not even going to try...

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
       currently out of the MMO cycle for the time being...playing bloodbowl for the time being..untill the next batch of MMOs start dropping :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    You have done the same gameing "journey" as me. Try the secret world and enjoy the nice quests that forces you to think outside the box :) Otherwise there is nothing going on in this market. Nothing at all
    Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Im enjoying Secret World very much. Try it.
  • TrysticTrystic Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I would try some free games before you start buying, like Aion, Tera, and Age of Conan. Although alot of people would say they failed I think they all have some pretty unique aspects that  other games don't, and the population in each is still enough to feel like an mmo.