Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so if action combat is so great?

archeagekingarcheageking Member Posts: 88

So if action combat is soo great , then why does tera fail ? Prove to me action combat mmorpg that is successful? Give me evidence that action combat is al the rage for the mmorpg industry.

You really think mmorpg players plays mmorpg just for combat features? why isnt darkfall popular thats a non tab targeting mmo, how about tera thats also an action non tab mmorpg how is that game doing? also mortal online is also a 1st person non tab targeting combat? how is that game doing?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by archeageking

So if action combat is soo great , then why does tera fail ? Prove to me action combat mmorpg that is successful? Give me evidence that action combat is al the rage for the mmorpg industry.

Teras biggest issues are hardly the combat... and to answer your question gw2 is hybrid action and very successfull.. both combat systems have their place though.. i like both just depends how they are implemented

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

You really think mmorpg players plays mmorpg just for combat features? why isnt darkfall popular thats a non tab targeting mmo, how about tera thats also an action non tab mmorpg how is that game doing? also mortal online is also a 1st person non tab targeting combat? how is that game doing?

Combat is not the only deciding factor when choosing an MMORPG to put time into.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

You are looking at it the wrong way. Teras action combat is so good that people play the game inspite of everything else completely sucking.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Argument is invalid. TERA combat was awesome, the rest of the game was garbage.
    Originally posted by colddog04

Combat is not the only deciding factor when choosing an MMORPG to put time into.

^ also find it odd since OP is obviously an AA fan yet AA seems to have so much more to offer than just combat... 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370

I'm in agreement with you here.  I don't think action combat is nearly as widely desired as many would want you to believe.  I think a lot of it comes from a desire to be "different."  That said it certainly has its place.  GW2 is a pretty good example.  As was pointed out already, Tera's issues are not solely related to its combat style choice.

There are alos many examples proving that combat isn't the "end all be all" of a good game too, though.  Rift is still popular despite its combat being EQ/WoW style.  Also, SWG, even today, has an insanely devoted following.  Just look at the EMU project.  Perhaps the best example is Eve.  Not much combat at all really, but rather a large focus on shipbuilding and skill setup.  I will concede, however, that for every game I listed here there are many that have boring combat and suffered because of it, but it could be argued that those games, like Tera, have underlying issues as well.

For me personally. I prefer a laid back combat that is less focussed on action combat.  I'm not 20 anymore, and I prefer the social aspect to MMOs more than the "MUST KILL EVERYTHINNNNNNG!" mentality that many games have these days.  But then growing up, I was the one that despised Mortal Combat (I sucked at it :P), and lost interest quickly in FPS of the day that had very little story.  AoC comes to mind here.  Aside from the bugs, my biggest complaint with that game was that it required constant attention to detail when fighting.  I couldn't just veg out, and grind on mobs while chatting.  I had to finish my fight, scroll up and reread the last lines of text, respond, and then abandon chat for the next fight.

There's really a lot of variety out there right now, and that's a very good thing.  To each his own.  I'm just glad there's an actual choice for MMO gamers right now.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    As someone who is currently playing and enjoying Tera, I don't see how it failed. It is thriving a lot now that it is free to play. Most of the people who had issues with it had more to complain about than just the combat, which was usually not even on the list. It had more to do with the fact that every single quest is a kill this kill that quest, and the end game is little more than enchanting your gear over and over and grinding tons of gold.
  • GormokGormok Member Posts: 379
    I actually hated Tera's combat, I am not a fan of action based combat and any  MMO that uses that feature I tend to steer clear of. I may be a bit bias since I am an old school player, but I feel that tab targetting is less frentic and more relaxing. All of these new games like NW and ESO i will not be playing, but I sure as hell will be picking up FF14 ARR. I think both styles have their places and audiences, but I hate when devs try to shove one style down everyone's throats which seems to be the case with the action combat as of late.
  • maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

Action-combat is good tbecause let more space to player skills make more influence in the combat. Tab-target is nothing more than a automatized form of targeting, so demanding less atention and skill. It's like a automated transmission versus a manual in a car race.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    The entire OP is based on the assumption that the games he listed are not doing well because they have have "action combat". This doesn't take into account the much more glaring issues that those games have.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Well i like the old school tab combat personaly. Getting old so its easier for me image

But to this point, 99.5% of mmorpgs are all about combat. Only a handful of mmorpgs do not have combat or a choice between combat or crafter. Not many new aged mmorpgs do anything but combat. Often putting exploration, crafting, business aspect, and social aspects on the back burner or making them so dumbed down its not worthy. 

New aged mmorpgs seem like nothing more than eye candy, fluff 3 week long stories, and poor gameplay. They feel more like console games than online games to me. I guess my standards are too high this day in age having been able to play older gamer. Havent really seen any indepth mmorpg's in a long time. Well until recently with news of a few sandbox style mmorpgs such as AA. Quests, loot based economy, and pvp........ yeah mmorpgs are all about combat.

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

Nobody cares about the combat of a game after playing it for 6 months and having nothing to do but reashed themepark content.

If this game is as sandbox as it seems, it's going to have great long term retention.

If i wanted to play action combat, i can always play Bayonetta/Dark Souls/God of War 3 on my PS3, action combat in MMO's have always been terrible, and the worst of all, when a game as Tera actually tries true action combat, the people who never played an action game in their lives complain about ANIMATION LOCK.

Yeah! animation lock is terrible! better to be jumping all around like in GW2.... all action games have animation lock

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135
    Action combat isnt great, thats the damn influence of the fps crowd that invaded the mmo when they become popular. WE the RPG crowd, like tactical ,turn based combat.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

Originally posted by Crynswind

Nobody cares about the combat of a game after playing it for 6 months and having nothing to do but reashed themepark content.

If this game is as sandbox as it seems, it's going to have great long term retention.

If i wanted to play action combat, i can always play Bayonetta/Dark Souls/God of War 3 on my PS3, action combat in MMO's have always been terrible, and the worst of all, when a game as Tera actually tries true action combat, the people who never played an action game in their lives complain about ANIMATION LOCK.

Yeah! animation lock is terrible! better to be jumping all around like in GW2.... all action games have animation lock

yes all games do have animation lock in some form or another, but not all games root you when using skills or lock you into a skill animation without a way to cancel half way on many skills.. for example devil may cry has animation lock but because of the very very fast speed you can hardly notice it at all same with bayonetta.. also i never see people jumping all around while fighting in gw2 as there is no point to do so.. just personal preference really.. i like many forms of combat and glad MMOs offer a variety of types now.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The vids I have seen on youtube of this game are not very impressive....The combat was like "whack whack dead, whack whack dead"....It looked like yet another total zerg and kill everything as fast as you can type of game....When are they actually going to put some skill and strategy into combat?
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I playing rpg for building my character ,dont care about combat , but when playing arcade/shooter game it is all about combat

What ever we talking abouth in mmorpg's ,only can work  EQ/wow old school gameplay , action combat in an rpg is easy way,I can't understand why is it hard & advanced for some players ... it is no brain easy combat.