Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Neverwinter: Expanding the Sword Coast

Comments

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    the one thing that truly bothers me about the game is the rooting during combat..it completly kills the dynamic combat for me, makes it very static and "non dynamic" and boring...the one advantage that "action combat" over tactical combat has is its dynamic, if you take that away you just have a dumbed down boring combat system with very few options

I never saw any rooting in the videos from the press beta...

Do you happen to have any that show it?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I want to see the following Races:

• Dragonborn
    • Revenant
    • Eladrin
    • Kalashtar
    For Classes I really really really want to see Sword Mage

After that I would like to see:
    • Ardent
    • Warlord
    • Avenger
    • Barbarian
    • Warlock

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Originally posted by Daggerjaydo
    the one thing that truly bothers me about the game is the rooting during combat..it completly kills the dynamic combat for me, makes it very static and "non dynamic" and boring...the one advantage that "action combat" over tactical combat has is its dynamic, if you take that away you just have a dumbed down boring combat system with very few options

Didn't make any videos but I am in the betas and trust me there is rooting, in fact  if your not careful you can be killed while your rooted becuase your characters is using a skill with a longer animation.

Some people like the rooting and claim it makes it feel less "floaty", I happen to dislike it as it makes the action combat feel less smooth for my tastes.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    I dont remember if there was ever before released an RPG without an archer/ranger class in, they might be the first to do so. *sigh* You just dont release a game with only 5 classes , restricted as they are in NW ..come on. I AM looking forward to try it out, but what about all those ppl who found their favourite class/playstyle in other mmos and they just cant play it in NW, they probably wont even try it :/
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    Originally posted by Daggerjaydo

Didn't make any videos but I am in the betas and trust me there is rooting, in fact  if your not careful you can be killed while your rooted becuase your characters is using a skill with a longer animation.

Some people like the rooting and claim it makes it feel less "floaty", I happen to dislike it as it makes the action combat feel less smooth for my tastes.

100% agree - action combat and rooting are no-go-combination for me...i can understand the floatiness argument, but they should come up with better options...for example your moving slower during the use of skills (as you would in real life) or that there is a chance to straggle if you sprint during the use of skills etc... but the combat right now is simply, move up to enemy, press any skill button repeatedly (doesnt really matter), repeat...its even worse then gw2 combat

did wow release with more than 5 classes?
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by DJMantiss
    Originally posted by saker
    Not impressed by how few classes available at "launch".

Yup, I think someone there confused launch with paid beta.

Um you do know the games Free to play don't you? Not even a B2P cost.

Way more.. 9 actually

Originally posted by Xarko

Way more.. 9 actually

but than again, who would ever want to play anythingbut a dwarf with an axe...

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Way more.. 9 actually

but than again, who would ever want to play anythingbut a dwarf with an axe...

Oh aye wee lad, real men play dwarfs! not some pussy footing elven archers! (this is not lampooning anything or anyone, merely trying to do a gimli impression and failing at it badly).

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Way more.. 9 actually

Only 8 per alignment though, since Paladins were Alliance exclusive and Shaman were Horde exclusive at that time.

And Neverwinter have already said they will have 8 ready shortly after launch, soooo no difference really.

What they really mean by 'shortly after launch' is that they are good to go, but they are going to charge for them.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Psion, Runepriest and even more so...Warmage and battlemage are future must have classes.

As for the Drow...that should remain ONLY for those purchasing the $199 founders package as its one of the few unique things that come with it.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by evilastro

Way more.. 9 actually

Only 8 per alignment though, since Paladins were Alliance exclusive and Shaman were Horde exclusive at that time.

And Neverwinter have already said they will have 8 ready shortly after launch, soooo no difference really.

What they really mean by 'shortly after launch' is that they are good to go, but they are going to charge for them.

I dont think so

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    My guess is that a batch of new roles wil be shipped not long after release (read ~6 months) including things like Battle Cleric, Combat Rogue and also a couple of new classes like Druid or Ranger. PWE probably needs to start cashing in to support their developping, since it's been dragging a long time now and someone up there must be getting anxious and pushing for results.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    thri-kreen would be nice.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

I'd say this was a poorly done article (and generally I like Suzies work here) Poorly done because alot of the i nformation is inaccurate or outdated. Infomration that was on the neverwintyer FAQ  and posted in thread here on MMORPG.COM and discussed almost a week before this article.

Having said that I'd also point out that D7D started with only 4 classes fighter, mage, thief, and cleric. It also only started with 5-6 races (dwarf, elf, human, half elf, and halfling) it haas taken 40 some yearas for D&D to grow to its current race/class selection that thats with just plan simple PNP rules. (No programing code etc required)

It would also be a good idea to point out a few of the races Suzie points out as missing in neverwinter don't even exist in the forgotten realms game setting. (Warforged for example were created in and for the eborron campaign setting and are not native to the forgotten realms.)

It seems the Height of entitlement to me that Suzie and others here seem to think Neverwinter should release with every D&D class and race possibiltyfrom its 40+ years of growth on day one. This in a F2P game. Yes the games free to play and download but people still complain they aren't getting enough free stuff (entitlement ?)

Yes i too would like to see more classes on release but from a F2P game I don't feel that cryptic owes me and that I am entitled to demand them. If the game was B2P with a subscription like WoW then yeah I'd feel like I should get at least the 8 classes wow started with over the stated 5 Neverwinter is supposed to launch with.

Reality check

WoW for one year = $40 box cost and $15 a month subscription = $220

Neverwinter for one year = $0 (more classes (races?) to be added soon but yes you will probably have to pay for them if your not willing to grind Astral diamonds in game to get them)

Gripe if you want but sometimes you really do get what you pay for

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    The Foundry aspect as a whole is seriously going to make or break this game for me.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    You guys should play Cryptic Studio's previous games, just to get a more realistic idea of what you can expect from NWO (not much).
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    The Foundry aspect as a whole is seriously going to make or break this game for me.

I am pretty sure it will make or break the game period because at the moment it is the only thing completely different from its main competition in the MMO-verse and that's Tera and World of Warcraft (make no mistake those are its competition because Tera has a comparable combat while World of Warcraft is the content monster with a vast community ergo 2 very good hooks for players).

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by kikoodutroa8
    You guys should play Cryptic Studio's previous games, just to get a more realistic idea of what you can expect from NWO (not much).

CoH/CoV was an outstanding game...and many who made Champions and STO are not even with the company anymore let alone working on this game.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

When a dnd pc game does not give you the freedom of character creation that we see in dnd pnp whats the deal to even bother with it.

I want all the classes plus multiclassing plus prestige classes plus plus plus.

If they cant offer the variety and freedom DnD pnp has then they better not release this game for the good of all real dnd players.

Originally posted by RelGn

When a dnd pc game does not give you the freedom of character creation that we see in dnd pnp whats the deal to even bother with it.

I want all the classes plus multiclassing plus prestige classes plus plus plus.

If they cant offer the variety and freedom DnD pnp has then they better not release this game for the good of all real dnd players....

...who've likely been playing since late 2nd ed at best. So you want 40 years of PnP evolution in a tenth the time (and I am being really generous) ? Give it a few more years after release and it'll likely have most of that, until then you're free to wait or play, critique should be constructive not opinionated.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I want to play the MMORPG Developement Company Stock Analyst class dammit....

All his powers are actually useless in game, but they generate random posts about which company makes more money. And the daily power, is you can take one successful MMORPG and make posts about how it's figures are all lies and its going under soon.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Psionicist!
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Regular Drow should be KOS to everyone else.