Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unlinking and selling (or disposing of) your GW2 account.

HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Was wondering if any of you have done this?

I realize this is (probably) only relevant to EU citizens (and that some may even find this quite offensive for some reason) but it is an established right for EU citizens.

I guess the procedure requires you to contact ArenaNet and ask them to delete/reset your account.

Did you keep your GW account, only while selling GW2 part or did you sell as a bundle?

For those who only wanted to sell your GW2 account: How did Anet support handle "unlinking" to your Guild Wars account?

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
(repeat ad infinitum)

Comments

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

I doubt there are many people that have done this, or even realise that you can. 

You will need to contact Anet support no doubt..... and they probably wont know either lol. I suspect you might be "writing the book" as it were with this one.

Good luck

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

A bit surprised that none of the otherwise discontent (EU-based) GW2-buyers responded.

The court ruling was pretty clear and decisive and (just as an example) Valve and their "Steam" service acknowledged and currently support the ruling.

I guess someone needs the "screenshot or it did not happen" thing: Link to a PDF with the EU court ruling.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

I know someone that did it. It also tells you what happens if you read the refund section on their website. 

You basically get a full refund, and your account is closed, but if you wish to come back you can get your account reopened with your characters and stuff there but you have to buy a new box with serial key :P

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by Robokapp

is it really 'selling' or just 'returning' the account to the company ?

I get the refund part but i don't understand what OP means by 'selling'.

In the EU you can re-sell any game license including Steam games. All you have to do is write them to unlink the license from your account and transfer it to another account.

I have done this multiple times and so far had no issues. You need to be specific in your wording though as they will not give you a new CD Key or Serial. They can also not activate that old serial you used again because of the way serials work within distribution systems and publisher software. That would go into too much detail though so i leave it at that.

Originally posted by Halandir

Was wondering if any of you have done this?

I realize this is (probably) only relevant to EU citizens (and that some may even find this quite offensive for some reason) but it is an established right for EU citizens.

I guess the procedure requires you to contact ArenaNet and ask them to delete/reset your account.

Did you keep your GW account, only while selling GW2 part or did you sell as a bundle?

For those who only wanted to sell your GW2 account: How did Anet support handle "unlinking" to your Guild Wars account?

Just ask them to unlink the license form your account and transfer it to a different account (the account of the buyer). Make sure to enclose some proof of purchase ( paypal receipt, original confirmation email).

I have done this multiple times since the EU court decided this. Steam keeps saying games are not transferfable but they will do it if you ask them in a professional and polite manner. They have the order to minimize this behaviour and try to discourage you from doing it but they have to do it.

Here is what a recent Steam support guy said to me after he first tried to discourage me by saying there is no way i can transfer an activated game.

"As stated before, Steam games are nontransferrable, and if I were to remove the key, you would not be able to register it again.

However, if you have a person in mind whom you would like to gift this content to, I would be happy to activate the product on his or her account once I receive proof of your ownership of this CD Key and the name of the account where you would like to register this to. 

In order to investigate this issue, we must verify the purchase receipt and your ownership of the CD Key.

As this was a purchase from IndieGala, please send us a screenshot of the CD Key you received from them and any receipt you used from them.

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you."

There you have it. As always, stay polite and make sure they understand exactly what you mean.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I don't think GW2 is worth selling, honestly. Long ago I sold several of my DAOC, Ultima Online, and WoW accounts. People are crazy and spent a lot on them. I still have my main accounts on them all though.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by Robokapp

is it really 'selling' or just 'returning' the account to the company ?

I get the refund part but i don't understand what OP means by 'selling'.

I should have been clearer/used different wording. ArenaNet is NOT obliged to offer a full refund. They are obliged to transfer my license to use the program to another person/account.

This does not include virtual items I have gained by just using the software, but it does include items bought for real currency (such as cashshop items).

Providing ArenaNet has the tools it would/should be my own problem to sell the license on the open market as used goods.

If they offer a full refund they probably lack the tools to handle transferrence of cashshop items.

Getting a full refund after all this time seems rather unfair (I have used and enjoyed the software after all) so I guess I will just keep the account.

(repeat ad infinitum)

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Damn I wasn't aware people in the EU could do this.

Pretty cool I must say.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Damn I wasn't aware people in the EU could do this.

Pretty cool I must say.

Yes we can do this. But having this right also means that we have to act fair and resposible. Enjoying a game for 3+ months and then askibg for a full refund would not be fair.

Selling a used game (software license) is like selling a used TV set: It is last years model, you are selling the tv and not the movies you watched and of course the price will be lower than the new unused price.

The reason we have to act fair and responsible: We love using software/playing games created outside the EU. Lets face it: Worthwhile games created the EU are few abd far between but it wont stop our politicians from imposing costly laws on our (outside EU) sources of entertainment.

We as citizens have to act responsibly if we want those sources to remain open to the EU community.

But... I was still curious as to how ArenaNet handled EU legislation :-)

(repeat ad infinitum)

• Chi55Chi55 Member CommonPosts: 7

I contacted their support asking for info, made it clear I was willing to buy a license form another user (and not the account, chars etc), linked that press release as well as the full text page for reference and got this reply.    

Each Guild Wars 2 serial code can only be used one-time on one game account. We don't recommend purchasing used Guild Wars 2 serial codes only because you won't be able to create your own account with an already used serial code.

If you wish to play the game using your own account, then we suggest purchasing a new copy of Guild Wars 2 so you'll be able to create an account. You can purchase the game from any retailer you wish but we suggest only purchasing the game from our website https://buy.guildwars2.com or directly from an authorized retailers as only those retailers are guaranteed to have valid copies of Guild Wars 2: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

I don't know if I should bother with writing back or not..